Canon PowerShot SX1IS 10 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 20x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.8-inch LCD
Used & New from: $312.58
Canon Rebel XSi or PowerShot XS1 IS? I can't decide between these two cameras. This will be my first non point-and-shoot camera, so I'm just a beginner but am ready to step up to a real camera. There is so much information to decipher. One friend says one is better; another votes for the other. Do any of you experts have any opinions. Thank you very much in advance. This is all very confusing.
asked by Amazon Customer on April 27, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
Hi

I have the Canon XSI and its a terrific camera. I am thinking of getting the Powershot S1 IS because of its 20X zoom which is equivalent to 560mm. I like the fact that I don't have to change lenses and that it has image stabilization at the 20X zoom. If you are an ameteur to semi-professional photographer then the S1 IS is the way to go. With the XSI I have to keep chainging lenses and when I use my 300mm lens I no longer have Image Stabilization. It does require carrying extra lenses which can be a pain when traveling.
I like the fact that the S1 IS has a better sensor and records HD movies.
If I did not have the XSI I would definitely buy the S1 IS. Like I said I am stronlgly considering buying the new S1 IS.
Hope this info helps.
D. CAPONIGRO answered on April 28, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
In this excellent review, the Rebel was clearly inferior in photo quality. http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX1_IS/
brewster lewster answered on April 29, 2009
Comment | 1 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Rebel inferior to SX1IS? When it comes to image quality, the sensor AND the lens combination defines what its going to be. In case of non-SLRs, the sensors are very small so even comparable MP resolution are not equal i.e. a 10MP point & shoot can not produce same quality image as a 10MP SLR and the reason is that the sensors in P&S cameras are tiny and increasing megapixels just means packing more pixels in same space. Thus for SX1IS, the sensor has to capture 35MP per square-centimeter while in case of XSi the sensor just need to capture 3.7MP per square-centimeter. It all comes down to cleaner, less noise in case of XSi. Now if you use a crappy lens with XSi, the image will be inferior BUT with XSi you can get very high quality lenses and change between different types of lenses. With SX1 IS you can't. I have a XSi and love it as i also bought the 1.8 50mm lens with it for portraits - images can't be beaten. I also have S2 IS and frequently use it due to its size/zoom. But i do want to upgrade S2 IS to a SX1 IS for 20x zoom and HD movie features :) To the original poster, buy SX1 IS (probably when it drops to like 550 bucks in a month or so) and if the images it produce are not up to your expectation then trade up to T1i or XSi. BUT if absolute still image quality is what you are looking for, nothing beats a real SLR.
MEJazz answered on May 8, 2009
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, your words are elegant. All I did was point to a fine review where you can compare the inferior images from the Rebel to SX1. If you want the real benefits of an SLR with video then go to a fine machine like Nikon D90.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX1_IS/
brewster lewster answered on May 9, 2009
Comment | 1 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Maybe I don't understand Mansoor Ejaz, but SX1 IS has a CMOS sensor from the SLR Canon camera (I believe form XS) . So, quality for this camera should be like in this one camera. I agree with Mansoor, that changing lenses give to us better quality then universal 20x zoom lens.
About video... Brewster recommended Nikon D90 like a good machine for still images and HD video, but D90 can not give a 1080P quality to us.
So, in my opinion, C.Head you should decide by self what do you want. Canon SX1 IS: average quality still image ( B+), Fine HD video (solid A), compact sizes and one universal leans or SLR (Canon, Nikon): Best quality still images (A+), good HD video 720P or 1080P, 20 fps (C+, B), more big size, one and more changed lenses. It is only your decision!
Sergey Bakingem answered on June 9, 2009
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
"SX1 IS has a CMOS sensor from the SLR Canon camera (I believe form XS) . So, quality for this camera should be like in this one camera"

The Canon SX1 may have used the same CMOS technology as in the digital Rebel series, but its sensor is physically much smaller. The SX1 has a sensor area of about 0.14 sq-inches, and it crammed 10MP intp this tiny area. The digital Rebel series (such as the 10MP Canon XS) has a sensor area of about 0.50 sq-inches. This 3.5x larger surface area for each pixel translates to better signal-to-noise ratio, which is significant at high-ISO settings.
NLee the Engineer answered on June 22, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There are pros and cons to each. It really depends on what you are willing to give up.

For image quality, the SX1 will give you quality photos but it will not beat an DSLR with good lenses. For most people, the quality of photos from a SX1 is pretty darn amazing, in the right hands, and given all the other things it can do in such a small package (wide angle, super zoom, HD video, smaller form factor, lighter weight, etc.) But if you want the best in image quality, go for a DSLR. But be prepared to invest a lot of money in quality lenses to get there. It's also going to weigh a lot more and you'll need to carry the different lenses with you to swap out.

If you want to travel light, don't want to give up the conveniences of a hybrid like the SX1, and are willing to forgo some image quality and flexibility of having dedicated lenses, then the SX1 is for you.

Money wise, getting a DSLR that shoots HD video, like the Canon T1i, is going to cost $850 with the stock lens (which is good but not amazing quality). Add-on several hundred dollars or more for a telephoto lens and you'll easily run at twice the price of a SX1. Chances are you'll add a wide angle and a 50mm to round out what you need. Or if you get a jack of all trades 18-270mm tamron lens that does wide and telephoto, that'll run you $600.
Henry J. Lee answered on June 22, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I would...but they don't have that ZOOOOOM! :-)
D. Hammond answered on December 2, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›