1,007 of 1,027 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars I traded an EOS 7D for this!
I'm a just a fellow who wants to take nature photos, and my kid at soccer and stuff for eBay and such. I owned a Canon EOS 7D with fancy lenses, the whole works--about $3000 worth of Canon stuff. all I needed was this camera.

The EOS DSLR is heavy, "fixy", and not good for nature walks and plenty of mobility at sporting events. Rarely would I use the 8...
Published on May 8, 2011 by WayneChicago

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but smoke and mirrors......
I purchased a new SX30is as a replacement and upgrade to my SX20is I had for 8 months. The 24 mm wide angle and 35X optical zoom looked quite appealing to me however reading the fact the megapixels had been bumped up to 14.1 (from the 12.1 in the SX20is) on the same image sensor had me concerned about the picture quality this new Canon SX30is had to offer.
Pitting...
Published on October 19, 2010 by freestyleFrEaK

‹ Previous | 132 33 3439 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Camera, December 26, 2010
This review is from: Canon SX30IS 14.1MP Digital Camera with 35x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 Inch Wide LCD (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
This is a wonderful camera to possess. I simply love this Cam, would recommend this camera to all those who hate to carry big SLR's. This powerful camera has a inbuilt wide angle lens. I am loving it even after 8 months of the purchase :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, February 8, 2011
Ok even though I have only had this camera for a few hours, I LOVE it. It is easy to use, the picture quality is great and it was the perfect price for me. I think the only thing I would change on it like others, is an automatic pop up flash instead of having to do it yourself, but that is just minor and no big deal. I researched for weeks before I decided to go with this one as an anniversary gift. If I was gonna spend this much money I wanted to make sure there was not gonna be any regrets down the road and there are so so many positive reviews for this camera that it only made sense that I went with it. It was highly rated and knew I couldn't go wrong it.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice camera, January 27, 2011
This is a nice camera, its not too big neither too small, fits well on your hand, nice photos, however you need to get used with it, specialy the night shots. Some night shots gets realy good, but some gets fuzzy when is set to auto. Day's photos are nice, with vibrant colors, no cromatic aberration so far. The camera came with a stuck pixel on CCD sensor that I'm still trying to figure how to get rid of it. The zoom is amazing, I took a photo from the full moon with 35x + some digital zoom and looked perfect. The image is not sharp as a dSLR, but is only noticeble by very sharp eyes. Beside the stuck pixel it is a beautiful camera, still expensive though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Night landscapes, cityscapes underwhelming, January 25, 2011
I want to make this review pretty brief because I have only had the camera a couple of weeks and have only just begun to test and experiment with it.

All I want to comment on is the ability of this camera to take night cityscapes. I live in Hong Kong, so there's always great opportunities to take cityscapes.

The problem is that after experimenting with all manner of aperture values, shutter speed and ISO...I am getting 9 out of ten photos that are very smeared and poor. I have disabled Image Stabilization. I use a tripod. I set a 10 second timer to take shots. I keep the ISO at 80 to prevent graininess. I use manual focus. Basically all I want to do is take a shot from my veranda which shows a bank of about 15 buildings about 400/ 500 meters away stretched out across the horizon. In the background are dark mountains. In the foreground is a leafy park lit pleasantly in places by lights.

I can't figure out how to get a decent shot. My old camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1...a simple point and shoot. It outperforms the Canon in these night time shots. With the Lumix, I set it up, set 'Starry Sky', select a 15second shutter speed, use the timer...it takes the photo and buildings are crisp, the sky is deep, the foreground is focused...everything is focused. The colours are rich.

I've tried everything it seems (although I hope there is something simple I'm missing...) with the Canon...but the shots are smeared, slightly out of focus, bland and just awful.

It's been suggested to me on the internet that in order to focus properly I should set wide angle to infinity focus then 'back off' a little from there. Also it's been suggested to choose a target in the shot and focus on it. But it's hard to select a specific target in a 2.7" viewfinder that is 500 meters away...at night! It all looks kind of grainy in the live viewfinder. So how am I supposed to focus flawlessly on some feature 500 meters away? I thought that if I just set the widest angle that my DOF would be the biggest and pretty much everything would be focused.

If anyone happens to read this review and has mastered night time cityscape shooting...please give me some feedback.

One last thing....shots at night that are closer (for example, I took some shots of subjects/ structures much much closer than the 500 meters...like in a bus depot under lights at night etc) these shots came out way, way better. Could it be that the horrible pollution of HK is effecting my long range shots? Lately there has been a funk in the air you could cut through with a knife!

But if that was the case........why does my little Lumix still take acceptable (and perfectly focused) shots in these conditions and the Canon does not?

I am suspicious of the Canon's night abilities.

Any thoughts anyone...anyone?

EDIT: After reading a lot of advice on the net I have started to take a different approach. I am still in Manual mode for these night cityscape shots...but have decided to use auto focus more rather than the manual focus...pressing half way until the green box gives me the all clear. I was told that manual focus is virtually impossible to ascertain in a night fed grainy magnified LCD viewfinder...and I have to agree...especially when the subject is buildings 400 meters away. I also was always willing to accept user error here and at this stage I think I may have solved my problems...and that yeah, they are user error. Earlier I don't think I ever 'half-clicked' to secure the green focus box. When in auto focus mode earlier I think I just pointed and shot. The smog is outrageous here at the moment so I'm not getting brilliant shots...but latest tests have given me much more satisfying focus. And that was my first hurdle. I'll continue to test the camera....I hope this disgusting smog clears up soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GIFT, December 28, 2010
I purchased this as a christmas gift for my wife , she loved it ! enought said , thank you Amazon for making my wife very happy this hoilday season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelente, September 9, 2011
Sin tener experiencia en cámaras, esta me ha sorprendido, tiene un tremendo zoom, es liviana con respecto a sus similares, viene con sus programas y todo lo necesario para ser un fotógrafo semi-profesional de muy fácil manera. Yo sin haber tenido nunca una cámara, recomiendo 100% este producto.

4.0 out of 5 stars MY CANON, May 28, 2011
THIS MY FORTH DIGITA CAMERA AND THE BEST FROM FAR. I THINK THAT THERE COULD BE SOME INPROVEMENT IN THE NIGHT SHOTS. OTHER THEN THAT IT IS A GRAET CAMERA.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liking this camera, May 25, 2013
I like this camera, BUT i wish i would of spent a bit more on a better camera. like a dslr!

4.0 out of 5 stars nice distance pics, January 18, 2013
read the manual that you can download online. and practice shooting. a little big and bulky for a point and shoot.

5.0 out of 5 stars My, December 16, 2012
money was well spent on this camera, I use it every day. I like that it is a point and shoot, easy to use.

‹ Previous | 132 33 3439 | Next ›