5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST CHOICE
Published on April 22, 2008 by Frank L. Giordano

2.0 out of 5 stars It's okay
It's okay. More gloss from my printer is needed to give an overall effect if there is any white in the picture.
Published 7 months ago by Lula A.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST CHOICE, April 22, 2008
Frank L. Giordano (El Paso, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I print with a Canon Pro 9000 dye injet. Usually high gloss papers along with dye inks give you the brightest, most intense colors. Unfortunately, the high gloss papers have the problem of light reflection when framed under glass. Mat type papers don't have this problem, but the colors are not as snappy and the surface of a mat paper does not hold up well to handling. I tried the Canon Semi Gloss Plus looking for a compromise and I found a real winner. The Pro 9000 just loves this paper! I've printed the same photo on this paper and on Canon's Photo Paper Pro top of the line high gloss. The colors of the semi gloss plus are almost as intense as the Photo Paper Pro. This paper has just enough luster to give the photo some snap, but has much less trouble with light reflection when framed under glass than the Photo Paper Pro does. It stands up to handling so much better than a mat paper. It is resistent to smudges and fingerprints. It does an incredible job of handling the bright red colors. And best of all, Canon quotes the same time span for resistence to color change as the Photo Paper Pro when used with the new ChromaLife 100 inks: 25 years framed under glass and 100 years stored in the dark in an album or box. If you have a Canon printer using the new ChromaLife 100 inks, give this paper a try. You, too, will become a believer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great paper for my Canon Pro9500 (Mark I or II), July 3, 2012
Dragoneer (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
I've used Canon semi-gloss paper (SG-201) for years on both the Pro9500 and Pro9500 Mark II. I must say I love it. The colors pop on printers that are not the best on smooth surfaces. There is more detail in shadows than with the Canon Platinum Plus and Gloss Plus II papers though the shine isn't quite as much. This is my go-to paper when I want glossy-like results and I'm interested in preserving as much shadow detail as possible. Note, both of the printers I have owned are specialized to matte and/or "fine arts" surfaces so I am suggesting this paper as the best tradeoff when I want or need to go glossy. I will state, for completeness, that I usually go-glossy when I want to spiff up picture areas that were well illuminated.

My printing process for all papers involves PhotoShop followed by proofing on 4x6 papers before doing 13x19 prints. For those who might care (this is going someplace, so bare with me):

1) Matte and Fine Art papers are proofed on 4x6 Canon Matte - fine arts papers aren't as white but detail/color are apparent.
2) Semi-gloss is proofed on 4x6 Canon Semi-gloss - wysiwyg
3) Platinum Plus and Glossy Plus II are proofed on 4x6 Canon Glossy Plus II - PP is slightly "bluer"

Now note that the new Semi-Gloss packages are just packages that hold more sheets of paper than did the old packaging (exception is 5x7 which is same size). The old packages have been announced as discontinued to the retailers. There has been no announcement or release of 4x6 Semi-Gloss in new packaging as of this date. This means that I will need to start using 5x7 for proofing; the cost for proof ink will increase by almost 50% (5x7/4x6) if I print same portion of proof and cost of paper will rise.

I'm loath to deduct a rating star for Canon's confused marketing strategy (confused to me anyway) so I haven't. It's just that anyone considering starting serious use of this great paper had better think through their printing and supplies process before over committing. Also note that The Pro9500 Mark II has been announced as discontinued by one retailer - and denied by Canon sales while on phone with Canon Technical Support talking about paper availability; the un-Mark II version was discontinued a fair while ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great paper, December 29, 2007
Glenn Nagel "illini" (Orland Park, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I am very pleased with this Canon paper. I use it with my Canon PIXMA Pro9000 printer and the quality of the prints exceeds that of the professional labs that I've used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 13X19 inch semi gloss photo paper plus, July 22, 2008
Nelda Jardon (Brockton, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
I find Canon's semi gloss just the right paper for me. It allows for saturated color and does not have the blinding gloss of the full gloss paper. Pictures on this paper tend to appear like paintings. I just wish that Canon would produce paper bigger than 13X19 for real poster size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional quality at my finger tips, January 11, 2009
This review is from: Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss, 8 x 10 Inches, 20 Sheets (1686B017) (Office Product)
I love this paper... it is the perfect match for my Pixma printer. I use this for portrait and family shots and the colors and appearance of the final printed product is amazing. I very much prefer the semi-gloss paper to the matte version, and I prefer the 8x10 size to the plain letter size. It saves time from cutting and trimming when putting it in a frame, since most printers accommodate borderless printing now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Paper, March 24, 2009
Title speaks for my review. Nice clean photo paper, prints come out of my Canon Pro 9000 looking like lab prints (I spent 30 years as a pro shooter, and I know what a good print looks like).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great paper. Not sure if other person is reviewing the same thing., January 31, 2008
Amazon Customer (Sierra Nevada, CA) - See all my reviews
This particular Canon paper has been my paper of choice now and I can't imagine what the other reviewer is talking about with it turning yellow.
I sell my photos using this paper and would highly recommend it. The sheen is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good stuff, March 1, 2010
First, the surface of this paper is shiny, but not sticky, and will not smear. It produces prints every bit as good as any laboratory (and in most cases, better, because you do the pre-production).

Second, Canon had a two-fer deal on their site, so I scooped up what I could afford of this topnotch paper at very reasonable prices. I also bought a bunch from Amazon.

Used with the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 MkII printer, this paper sets a new standard for home/office/studio printing. I am a pro photographer, but it's not my only source of income. I run a small home studio and feel confident that the prints I sell equal or exceed the quality available anywhere else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent paper for the price!, July 11, 2011
I was actually looking to buy matte paper when I came across this one. I am so glad I decided to give this semi-gloss a try. I wanted to try printing some pictures without the glossy shine, just to see how some of my photos would look that way. I figured I would use matte paper. But when I came across this one, and read all the product information and reviews, I thought this sounded exactly like what I wanted. And it definitely was. Not quite matte, but definitely not glossy. I love it! And I think it gives my digital pictures that 35mm film look. Like pictures from the 70's! So please try this if you are looking to print on something other than glossy. You won't be disappointed. I know I wasn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great heavy professional grade stock, August 21, 2010
Have tried a number of different papers for my Canon Printer - and this is by far the best. I have purchased and used a dozen boxes of this paper. The semi-gloss finish allows for sharp details and richest colors, but does not have the irritating reflection of glossy. At less than $2 per sheet, I good bargain if you need a professional looking image on good paper.

Rate and Discover Movies