Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on April 30, 2009
The 270EX is a simple, two AA battery flash that should be perfect for someone wishing to add a bit more power or bounce to an digital EOS camera, or one of a few Powershots with a hot shoe.

The flash is very small, and balances well on cameras like the Powershot G10. I did most of my flash evaluating on a Rebel T1i, and was pleased with the handling of the duo.

The flash has almost nothing to set for increased power. Slide it on, turn it on, take pictures. Unlike fancier flashes, there is no power zoom flash panel, but you can manually set the flash to get a bit more distance with telephoto lenses by simply pulling the flash head out a notch.

If you want to make your closeup shots a bit less harsh, pull the head out (as per above), and you can tilt the head of the flash up at different angles to bounce the flash. My simple test worked very well, with much more pleasing skin tones (although bouncing does seem to lose, on all flashes, some of the whites of the eyes).

Compared to more expensive Canon flashes, several features are missing. Most notably is a sophisticated (such as a pattern) focusing assist system to help the camera's AF in low light or low contrast shooting. Additionally, don't expect advanced features like wireless flash, High Sync, etc.

Thus, the 270EX is great for anyone wanting a bit more powerful flash, adds bounce, and is in a nice, small, package.
55 comments|151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2009
I wanted a small shoe mounted flash for my G11. This is a great choice. It is small and light, has enough power for a small room, works well as a fill flash outdoors. fits in a shirt pocket, and has some bounce capabilities (but at its modest power, do not expect to be bouncing off of 18 foot ceilings!). It DOES NOT have IR auto-focus assist as all other EOS flashes. That is a big loss, but it keeps it small and light. This flash will go with me whenever I use my G11. It might even go on an SLR for a day outside when I need a small fill flash. It will not be a substitute for a real EOS flash like a 580EX. Then again, it is small and light!
on May 3, 2010
A friend of mine bought a Leica point and shoot (M8?) for $800+ and wouldn't stop bragging about the images it took. But they were all with ambient light. My Canon EOS DSLRs are not very portable, so I rarely have them when I'm not working, but often get last second requests to shoot images of people or short events. Or maybe I just see something in the right light and just want to capture it spur of the moment. I needed a "bridge" camera. So I bought a Canon G10. Same Digic 4 processor as my big cameras and all the bells and whistles to make one happy outside of the little green rectangle of full auto (what pro doesn't hate that mode?). I put my 580EXII on the hotshoe and it worked just fine, but looked completely ridiculous. So I bought the 270EX and found a StoFen diffuser for it (that was the hard part). I actually worked two events just with this kit. The optics won't give you what an "L" series lens will, but everything else is manna from heaven. The speedlight takes a ton of images on just two AA lithiums and recharges quickly. It packs very small and light and the head has two bounce positions.

The downsides are that the head doesn't swivel and all you get is ETTL. Since my G10 will shoot in full manual, it would be nice to be able to adjust the flash output. But this kit isn't a replacement for my EOS DSLRs, so I can easily live with those trade-offs.

Now when my friend brags about his Leica, I just pull my G10/270EX out of my pocket and shoot a well-lit image in a darkened room for less than what he paid for his camera alone. He doesn't bother to deploy his fancy in-camera flash to show me a poorly lit room full of red-eyed people. This is easily one of my favorite new toys and is built with the quality you expect in a Canon Speedlite.
on June 3, 2009
I've used a 580EX II and own a 430EX II. Of course those swivel everywhere, has proper AF assist that doesn't involve firing the actual flash, and can fill flash a whole room. However, where the 270EX wins over the two larger flashes is size. I often left my 430EX II in the bag in the car, or hated every moment of carrying it. The 270EX fits in my pocket, and I can take it everywhere. Granted it's funny seeing a 270EX attached to an EOS 3, but hey, it works. And lighting is greatly improved.
on September 21, 2009
I needed to get more flash than was produced by the stock flash on my Canon EOS Rebel. I did not want a large, heavy (4 or more batteries), mounted on the camera.
This unit solved the problem! It only uses 2-AA batteries and makes a big flash for a smaller unit. I'm a realtor and it fills the room for color rich pictures.
I love the bounce feature and find I'm using it whenever I have a white ceiling in a room. I'm not a photo artist but this Speedlite in combination with my 10 to 20 wide angle lense has helped me to produce wonderful listing photos. I love the compliments from the other agents in my office!
on June 24, 2009
I bought this flash to go on a G10. It seemed the perfect one for a p&s, s\compact and easy to carry like the G10. Highly recommended as a higher power flash than the built in one.
on February 20, 2010
I have a Canon SX10 IS and needed a flash far more capable than the built-in one. I also didn't want something more capable or more expensive than my camera. The 270EX fits the bill nicely! It has a two position zoom (manually operated), four position bounce head (no rotation), and is ultra compact and light-weight. While it has no external buttons, it does have a vast array of settings that can be accessed in manual mode through the camera's menus. Otherwise, the camera will automatically handle the flash's settings. I use lithium batteries (2xAA) and have taken perhaps 100 pictures with the flash and am still on the original set. Recycle time is a bit slow at full power (remember: lithiums) but can keep up with the camera's "quick-fire" mode if on reduced output. Do note that this is not a "serious" flash so long-range shots were lost beyond fifty feet or so. I also purchased the Omni-bounce diffuser for the flash and have been quite pleased with the results.

I do have one gripe. The zoom must be in the "tele" position in order to access the bounce feature and the zoom will not retract once in bouce. It will slide back, just not lock and will spring back into "tele" mode once released. Why?! Why must I be forced to have a hot focus flash in bounce? Diffuser to the rescue...

I would not recommend this flash for serious SLR owners unless you need a second, compact flash for quick shots instead of carrying a ton of gear. If you have one of the SLR-type "all in ones" like an SX or G series Canon, this is a huge improvment over the built-in flash!
on December 1, 2009
This flash is perfect for my Powershot SX1 IS. The only reason I give it 4 stars for features is because of the limited control with the Powershot series. To achieve the full benefits out of this flash it must be used with a D-series DSLR camera. I think Canon dropped the ball on this one, as the it suits my SX1 perfectly as far as weight and size are concerned. I believe that with the top end SX-series camera, full control should have been offered for this flash. To me it seems a little underpowered for a camera of Canons D-series caliber. This flash should have been designated for the Powershot series.
Due to the compact size and light weight (even with batteries) this flash fits right in your pants/vest pocket or camera bag. I use Duracell 2650mAh batteries so battery life is no issue. As far as ease of use, it's pretty cut and dried. Turn it on and stat shooting - the flash takes care of the rest. If you're going for a more creative angle, you can play with the settings and adjust the head accordingly. The fact that the head pivots and extends is what makes this flash stand out in its class - it's flexibility!
on January 2, 2014
Not super powerful, but much better than the built in flashes present on most cameras nowadays. The lens "head" telescopes for center focusing the light when using the camera's zoom, and also tilts up for indirect lighting.

When used with the supported Canon cameras, the flash intensity is controlled by the camera, and the camera "knows" which flash is connected to it (on the SX20is and SX50hs I tried it with, the settings menu even includes more options when the flash is on), so the flash unit itself does not need complexity (light metering, processing, etc). So do not be deceived by the humble appearance of this flash; it does not need brains because it uses the camera's.
on November 27, 2013
The darkness is vanquished. This little flash makes a lot of light when I point it at things at set it off. People's faces just...light up. It's a great fill-in flash for bright days. It's handy, bright, not too big, and works with the local feature setting on the T1i. Yes, you can get a bigger one. Yes, the bigger one will make more light. It also weighs more on top of your camera.

This is a huge step up from the built in flash unit, and a small step down from the larger flash units. Unless you're shooting people 40' away in a dark room or need multiple units with remote trigger, this is more than enough flash for you. The head moves and with a diffuser gives great results for multiple scenarios.