Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon Speedlite 270EX Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 3, 2009
I've used a 580EX II and own a 430EX II. Of course those swivel everywhere, has proper AF assist that doesn't involve firing the actual flash, and can fill flash a whole room. However, where the 270EX wins over the two larger flashes is size. I often left my 430EX II in the bag in the car, or hated every moment of carrying it. The 270EX fits in my pocket, and I can take it everywhere. Granted it's funny seeing a 270EX attached to an EOS 3, but hey, it works. And lighting is greatly improved.
on April 15, 2011
I bought this flash for my Canon PowerShot SX10 for one main reason: I wanted to be able to bounce a flash off the ceiling to take pictures of pets and kids indoors without blinding them with direct flash all the time. It works nicely for that and is stupidly easy to use with the only drawback being that you can't point it to the ceiling while holding the camera sideways to take pictures in portrait format.

The next thing I learned is that it also works very well with the Raynox DCR-250 macro conversion lens to get sharp hand-held macro pictures. You might have to fiddle with the flash controls a bit to turn down the flash intensity. I've had good success with manual flash control or flash compensation or using some sort of diffuser (paper napkins taped over the flash work great). It may not be the best thing to use for close-ups, but it sure does a much better job than the built-in flash.

The flash itself is small and light enough to balance well on the PowerShot cameras and slips right into your pocket for easy carrying. It is very easy to use - just slip it onto the hot shoe, lock it and turn it on and you're ready to go. Remember to pack some spare batteries. If you want more features, plenty of manual settings are available through the camera's menu. I've used it quite a bit and haven't even had a chance to test all the settings and options yet.
on September 10, 2010
I've only been into photography for about two years now. I didn't get a dslr until a year ago so after becoming annoyed with picture grain without the use of flash (but also becoming annoyed with how harsh internal flash could be) indoors I decided it was time to vouch for an external flash. When it comes to Canon, I know that people will recommend the Speedlite 580 or 470. But if you're looking for something within your budget (under $200) and something simple to start you off with, then the Speedlite 270ex is the way to go.

If you're a beginner, like me, but are serious about pursuing photography then I suggest taking baby steps and starting with the more amateur products. Since I didn't know much about external flashes to begin with, I went for the 270 because I read about how simple it all was. That way within the next year or two I can upgrade to the next flash. There really is no need to go for the bigger better products if you don't know much about them. The Speedlite 270 is just the flash I needed for indoor pictures. I've only had it for two days and am still learning a lot about it but just within the short time I've had it I've really considered just how much light impacts photography. You learn how to bounce the light and begin to understand that you need walls and ceilings to bounce it off of. You get what you pay for and for $143 this flash was worth it.

Things you may want to know is the longer you have it on and take pictures the more the flash itself will heat up. The batteries will become hot. I read the manual and it said if it gets too heated to turn it off for about 15 minutes. I bought AA Lithium batteries and so far I haven't had to change the first pair. It doesn't swivel, just moves up at different angles.

Overall, I'm really glad I got it. Amazon also shipped it to me fast, even with free shipping. If you're starting out, get this flash. You won't regret it.
on September 21, 2009
I needed to get more flash than was produced by the stock flash on my Canon EOS Rebel. I did not want a large, heavy (4 or more batteries), mounted on the camera.
This unit solved the problem! It only uses 2-AA batteries and makes a big flash for a smaller unit. I'm a realtor and it fills the room for color rich pictures.
I love the bounce feature and find I'm using it whenever I have a white ceiling in a room. I'm not a photo artist but this Speedlite in combination with my 10 to 20 wide angle lense has helped me to produce wonderful listing photos. I love the compliments from the other agents in my office!
on September 17, 2011
I have a Canon Rebel XS and had been wanting an affordable external flash to do indoor bounce flash. I bought an off-brand that worked OK but a friend suggested this one and I am so glad I purchased it. I am very amateur and although I do use the camera on manual on occasion, I mostly use it on auto for quick shots of my kids and relatives indoors. I have gotten great shots that look really warm and inviting and not over-exposed like the built in flash. Great starter flash. I do suggest buying some Lithium batteries as it uses up lesser batteries fast. I use it straight on a lot of the time, but also tilt it at an angel for bounce flash off the wall. It also takes nice shots when I bounce it from the ceiling.
on April 13, 2010
I used to use a Rebel XT with a 580 EX II flash for about 2 years before moving on to the 7D. While my wife could barely tolerate the weight of the 580 on the XT, the 7D+580EX combination became too unweildy for her. The Rebel XT, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the 270EX gives her a compact package close to that of a bridge camera with SLR quality (albeit still a bit heavier). My 50mm f/1.8 makes this even lighter, but its too tight for general purpose use indoors. Additionally, I was finding lugging the 580 for fill flash outdoors a bit too much for my taste.

I wanted a small flash package and ended up considering between the 270EX and the Sunpak RD2000 after several reviews. I was initially tempted by the Sunpack as I wanted to spend the least possible on the flash, but in the end decided to go for the 270EX for the following reasons:

1. No compatibility concerns with the 270EX.
2. 270EX fully control with 7D, however only FEC is available through the Rebel XT menu. RD2000 has this as an external option, so it can also be used with the original Rebel 300D which does not have FEC, but since I didn't have a 300D it wasn't a concern.
3. 270EX has a silent and faster recharge compared to the RD2000.
4. 22' (270EX) vs. 20' (RD2000). @50mm, the 270EX is 27'.
5. 1st/2nd curtain & high speed sync using 270EX with the 7D, not possible with RD2000.
6. The 270EX is raised and forward a bit compared to the RD2000 or the built in flash, which should help with wider angle lenses.
7. RD2000 has a built in diffuser which the 270EX does not; however cheap DIY diffusers are easy.
8. Price differential between this and RD2000 was less than 50D after scouring around. I knew the canon would retain its value, while the RD2000 would be hard to resell if I didn't like it.

Having taken a few test shots, I find my 270EX with a customer DIY bouncer/diffuser (picture attached) to be more than sufficient for fill flash. It may not be powerful enough for bouncing off walls if they are very high wide apart, or if there is very poor lighting. As long as you use this flash appropriately, it can replace the 580EX in several situations. I would recommend this as a secondary flash to the 580 EX II.
review image
on April 8, 2011
I have a Canon EOS Rebel XSi/450D DSLR that I use for indoor glamor photography. The camera's built-in flash is often not powerful enough that pictures come out under-exposed, especially after the fifth consecutive shot. It also strains the camera's battery, so that I have to wait about 10 to 15 seconds after each shot before it is ready again. This greatly affects the flow of shooting action, so I decided to buy an external flash.

I chose this Canon Speedlite 270EX because both the camera and the flash are Canon-branded and are perfectly matched. Indeed, flash pictures come out extremely well-exposed. This flash unit also allows bounced flash photography.

The part of the flash unit that connects to the camera's flash shoe is made of metal, so it is very sturdy. There is also a slide switch on the flash that you can push to lock the flash unit more securely to the camera. Just remember to unlock before trying to remove the unit from the camera.

The 270EX is very small and requires just two AA batteries to operate. For faster flash recycling time, I'd recommend using rechargeable batteries rated at 2500 mAh or more. Depending on the duration of shooting, you should have spares of even number of batteries, so that you can quickly swap in freshly charged ones when the flash recycling time becomes unacceptable.

Overall, this is a very compact and useful flash unit for Canon cameras. I use it both for the Rebel XSi and G10.
on January 4, 2012
I bought my wife a Canon G12 (which she loves, BTW) but I had heard that the on board flash left a little to be desired. Since it had a flash mount I did a little research and got her this. it is small and doesn't throw the balance of the G12 out of whack and fit the camera visually as well. it definitely improves the performance of the G12 when a flash is needed and with lithium batteries, resets quickly. Just remember it is a fixed model and doesn't adjust like the bigger models do, but it is alot lighter and more portable. if you have a G series camera, you will find your indoor shots improve using this flash over the on-board.
on June 24, 2009
I bought this flash to go on a G10. It seemed the perfect one for a p&s, s\compact and easy to carry like the G10. Highly recommended as a higher power flash than the built in one.
on February 20, 2010
I have a Canon SX10 IS and needed a flash far more capable than the built-in one. I also didn't want something more capable or more expensive than my camera. The 270EX fits the bill nicely! It has a two position zoom (manually operated), four position bounce head (no rotation), and is ultra compact and light-weight. While it has no external buttons, it does have a vast array of settings that can be accessed in manual mode through the camera's menus. Otherwise, the camera will automatically handle the flash's settings. I use lithium batteries (2xAA) and have taken perhaps 100 pictures with the flash and am still on the original set. Recycle time is a bit slow at full power (remember: lithiums) but can keep up with the camera's "quick-fire" mode if on reduced output. Do note that this is not a "serious" flash so long-range shots were lost beyond fifty feet or so. I also purchased the Omni-bounce diffuser for the flash and have been quite pleased with the results.

I do have one gripe. The zoom must be in the "tele" position in order to access the bounce feature and the zoom will not retract once in bouce. It will slide back, just not lock and will spring back into "tele" mode once released. Why?! Why must I be forced to have a hot focus flash in bounce? Diffuser to the rescue...

I would not recommend this flash for serious SLR owners unless you need a second, compact flash for quick shots instead of carrying a ton of gear. If you have one of the SLR-type "all in ones" like an SX or G series Canon, this is a huge improvment over the built-in flash!