5.0 out of 5 stars A true no-brainer camera!
Here's an honest, non-techy person's review of this wonderful new camera!

Published on April 29, 2012 by S. Wild

1.0 out of 5 stars You sneaky little......
Published on June 12, 2012 by Charles B

1.0 out of 5 stars You sneaky little......, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Canon VIXIA HF R32 Full HD 51x Image Stabilized Optical Zoom Camcorder Wi-Fi Enabled with 32GB lnternal Drive Dual SDXC Card Slots and 3.0 Touch LCD (Electronics)
I gave this product a single star review because anyone thinking about buying this product should be aware of the abysmal battery life with the included batter (BP-709). I will revise after I have used it for a while, but out of the box this is starting with my lowest rating because in an effort to make this appear to be a less expensive product, Canon designed an entirely new, cheaper battery with only 25 minutes of recording time per charge, compared to 75 minutes for the batteries included with the other products they sell in this price range. The net effect is they are selling this as though it is price comparable to their M500, when it would cost you an extra $100 to get the 75 minute life battery that comes with the M500. Details are below..... Please note, this review is (currently) only focused on the battery so if you have heard enough, there is no need to read on, but if you really like hearing details, see below.

I spent a significant amount of time comparing brands before settling on Canon, and then comparing models at the Canon website. In comparing prices for the R32 against similarly priced models (M500) and higher priced models (M52), I was surprised by the fact the R32 seemed to be the a no brainer choice when comparing features (at least the ones I wanted) and price. I read all the details on the Canon website in the side-by-side comparisons and decided that when compared to the M500 at the same price, it made sense to by the R32.

Unfortunately, the one piece of information that Canon did not share on its website, or in the detailed product specs it provides on Amazon, was information on the battery. To be clear, if you read the "what's in the box" section on Amazon it will list the battery type (BP-709), but it is clear that Canon did not want to call attention to this little tidbit of information.

Why, you might ask? Well, according to the manual that came with the product, I am guessing the reason is that the manual states that this little battery will last for a whopping 25 minutes of recording time (FXP mode). 25 minutes. It will then take 2 hours and 50 minutes to recharge the battery. It reminds me of the old Sony practice of including an incredibly low capacity memory stick in its cameras, enough to hold a handful of photos, to make the product cheaper, knowing you'd be forced to pay up for a larger memory stick to make the product close to useful.

It turns out that the the M500, and the M52, come equipped with a BP-718 battery. The Manual for these camcorders (it is the same manual for the M500 and M52) says the BP-718 lasts 75 minutes (FXP mode), and an optional higher end BP-727 lasts for about 115 minutes.

So the net of all this is that you can buy the higher end battery for about $100 and get a battery life that is close to credible, or you can revisit the entire purchase decision and think about getting the M500, which at list price is the same as the R32 but has a battery that is worth $100 more. For that matter you can spend an extra $100 and get the M52 given that the effective "apples to apples" price difference (when you have the same battery) is only $100 at list price.

There is another option, which I will try first. There are knockoff batteries that claim to have the effective life of the BP-727 that sell, with charger, for only about $30. These cannot be charged in the Camcorder and the camcorder will not report on remaining battery life (Canon has developed "smart" batteries, which essentially means they have locked up their software so if you are using a knockoff battery the Canon branded charger will not charge it, and the camera will not provide data on its remaining juice. This is, of course done to make you think twice about buying the $30 battery and instead purchase Canon's $130 BP-727 battery.

So anyways, if you read this far thanks for letting me rant a bit. When the battery this R32 came with is fully charged I will set it up to record and run a stopwatch to see exactly how long it lasts until it runs out of juice. I'll update the battery life on in this review if it comes out to something materially different than 25 minutes.

I'll then either return the product and buy something else, or will try the knock off batteries to see how they work. If the camera is just lights out fantastic I might pay up for the BP-727 and admit that while they tricked me, their stupid ploy worked and I ended up paying up in the end.

Here's hoping the camcorder is at least a good one, and that 25 minutes is enough time to figure this out......

5.0 out of 5 stars A true no-brainer camera!, April 29, 2012
Here's an honest, non-techy person's review of this wonderful new camera!

I opened the box, figured out how to charge the battery (no charger just an adaptor that plugs into the camera), let it sit an hour or so and then started it up. What a breeze! The picture quality on the lowest setting is awesome.....turned it up all the way and WOW! I can't believe what this thing picks up! Little blades of grass in our backyard just pop onto the screen now! The best part is the Wi-fi capabilities. I literally touched a few buttons (following the PDF guide that came with the camera) and my videos transfered wirelessly to my computer. Oh...my...gosh! So easy! Now we need to update our t.v. so we can wirelessly watch our home videos on it, too!

The camera is smaller than I expected but then again we've been using our old Panasonic mini-DVD recorder which is quite a bit bigger. At first I thought it was too small...but after about 5 minutes I got used to the feel of the smaller unit AND truly appreciated the decrease in weight. Our old camera would get heavy in your hand after a while. The zoom moves quickly - I probably just need to practice with it more (again, used to my old one). I love that I can zoom in more with this camera and it stays clear. I bought 2 32GB SDHC (10) cards and just put my 1st one in, today. It initialized quickly and records just like the internal memory. Easy!

The touch-screen is super nice. It's not too sensitive - just right, in my opinion. Needs a little pressure but not a huge push. It's easy to maneuver thru the vast menu without feeling lost or overwhelmed, even without using my owner's manual. I like the simplicity of the buttons. Very few and just what you need.

I love, love, love the lens cap/cover. There really IS no cap, just a built in cover that you switch open or closed. I was so sick and tired of our old cap, swinging away on it's string while we took video while in motion. You could hear it hitting the camera mike during recording.

We're heading off for an Alaskan adventure soon and I can't wait to see how this thing works in the wide variety of areas we'll be enjoying. I'll post an update when we return. So far, this camera is an A+ in my book!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great except for the battery, August 6, 2012
Peter Richardson (Cape Elizabeth, ME United States) - See all my reviews
I must agree with other reviewers that the notable short-coming is the life of the battery that comes with the unit. Barely 30 minutes is not acceptable. It will die before you know it.
Otherwise I like the camcorder. It take very good hi-def videos, the on-screen insructions are clear, and it interfaces flawlessly with my Mac's iMovie software. I do recommend this camcorder with the reservation that you will need to spend another $100 to get a usable battery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite pleased with this purchase., June 15, 2012
I am fairly impressed with the features of this camera including the zoom (very nice) and optional settings. There are a few things you should know before hand though:

1) The description for the Dual SDXC Card Slots on Amazon is wrong. There is only one (1) card slot on this particular model (R32). There is 32GB internal and a single card slot for another. I installed a 64GB class 10 card in that slot (Transcend 64 GB SDXC Flash Memory Card TS64GSDXC10E [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging]) and it is working well.

2) The stock battery is very weak. Lasts roughly 20-25 minutes only and you cannot record while recharging the battery still connected to the camera. You will need an additional battery and an extra battery charger if you want to continue shooting. I did purchase an additional battery with a 3 hour recording time (Canon BP-727 Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery Pack) and it has worked quite well for me. Keep in mind if you buy the non-Canon extended battery it may not display the life of the battery on the screen. You need the smart battery for that feature, so read descriptions carefully before buying one.

3) The included software for transferring videos & still shots is very slow and is limited in it's export options. It's adequate for users who want to upload videos of their children's B-day parties to Youtube or Facebook, but for exporting full 1920x1080 to use in AE Premiere, After Effects, etc... you will need to use another means to get that data.

These are the only really negatives I have found on this camera and they are easily remedied. Overall I am very happy with my purchase and love using my camera for shooting movies and short films. I am still finding neat little hidden features that make this a great buy, including things like green screen editing, story boards, writing on screen notes, etc. Make sure you read the manual for these hidden gems.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor video quality, September 23, 2012
I need not repeat my aggravation over the battery issues with which we all agree, but I do wish to mention that the video quality is less than impressive. I have a Panasonic from over a year ago, that is technically a step down from this one, and the video is far more crisp, and, well, HD... I put together a reel of several different settings with various settings and lighting options, and everything has a slight blur; nothing ever seems to focus clearly, ever. And no, not even the facial recognition helped. The camera just isn't good enough if you are seeking high-quality, ready for broadcast video. This is my second Canon, and this is the second Canon camcorder I will be returning; camcorders are just not their niche.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Family Video Camera, July 3, 2012
Deciding it was time to replace my aged Sony VX2000, I had to make a choice between going with a prosumer HD model... or a standard point-and-shoot. With reluctance, I chose the point-and-shoot route. For the most part, I'm glad I did (at least, I'm glad I chose this particular camera): With a prosumer model, one tends to spend a lot of shooting time playing with options rather than capturing footage. With a point-and-shoot, you're saving memories instead of fondling the camera.

There is a price to be paid for convenience, unfortunately. Point-and-shoots have become dramatically better at making the right decisions in accordance to one's shooting environment. On the other hand, they still have a way to go. Shooting outdoors on a sunny day is extremely forgiving, and for this, this camcorder shines. Shooting indoors, on the other hand, can sometimes be grainy--making me miss having the easy ability to tweak settings. (This camcorder has a manual control menu--but it's not easy to use on the fly, and most useful options are buried.) The auto-focus tends to choose whatever is closest to the camera, rather than whatever object is moving the most; a trip to the zoo can give a lot of fantastic footage of fence and cage material, while the animal you intended to shoot plays or grazes out of focus in the background. Yes, one can manually set the focus... but not as easily as one might hope for. The touch screen LCD is both nice and frustrating. Indoors or in the shade, it's easy enough to frame your shot. Outside in full sunlight, you're only going to have a vague idea--this sucker, ironically, is hardest to use in the environment it captures the best.

So why the high rating, you ask? Several reasons. The first is that most people considering this camcorder are going to be interested in ease-of-use. Leave everything at auto settings, and it is for the most part easy to use (shade that LCD screen, though!). The amount of correct choices this camera makes far exceed the amount of poor choices it makes--as with ALL camcorders, the amount of light on the subject makes or breaks the natural appearance of your footage. The lack of easy fine-tuning means less of a learning curve for those who simply wish to go out and capture a kid's baseball game or trip to a national park. It's tiny and light, meaning that it's easy to take with you. It stores footage on its own hard drive--eliminating the need for those pesky mini-DV tapes of yesteryear. And finally, this is a review from someone who is accustomed to professional or at least prosumer equipment--OF COURSE I'm going to miss being able to tweak. If you, Dear Reader, are not from such a background, it is my feeling that you will never know what I was complaining about; you'll be too busy having fun with this camera. And there's a lot of fun to be had!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid camcorder comes with demo battery, January 19, 2013
Turbojet (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Good picture quality, small size and great zoom (32x). As others noted, the battery supplied with the unit is only 895mAh, which is smaller then the one in your smartphone. Consequently, you get only 20-30 minutes of recording time. It should have been advertised as "for demo purposes only".

Overall performance is good. Decent AF in low-light; Touch-sensitive screen functions OK. No ability to add filters/lenses; no hot shoe, but there is a external mic input and a headphones output.
Ability to choose between several formats, including three MP4s for quick web sharing is great.

If HF M50/500 had this type of lens (32x zoom, 2.8-89.6 mm), I would have upgraded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchased through Amazon, June 20, 2012
Have never owned a video camera, let alone an HD camera. Took on a two week vacation. Have not used all features, in particular the WIFI features. MP4 videos great. Zoom terrific. Review of videos easy and ability to delete the really "dumb" ones easy to understand. (Wife turned on camera and put into her carrying sack. We killed small battery with video of two hours inside bag. Too bad there were no mice to watch inside. Glad I bought big battery and external charger...which works 120-240 voltage. I even remembered correct plug adapters that fit in carrying bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars cool product, August 1, 2013
Good video, picture and sound quality. quite compact and easy to handle. Menu is easy to follow too. I had to buy the larger capacity batteries though so I could use it for longer hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy videos, July 27, 2013
The camera takes great videos but the stock battery is almost useless. If you buy this camera you need to consider it costing $60 to $90 more for you will NEED to buy the BP-727 extended battery. The stock battery is just a cruel tease for it lasts only about 20 minutes. We bought the actual Canon brand extended battery (at B&H Photo for $60) for it gives you the time left on the battery's charge. Very useful. The other issue is the screen is almost impossible to view outside in the daylight.

Rate and Discover Movies