Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 193 questions
votes
The 50mm 1.4 is great for indoor low-light portraiture, unless you are shooting groups of people -- you may not have enough space to step back. Lately I've been using the 85mm 1.8 more. The extra length does a better job of blurring the background at shorter distances, which helps isolate the subject further. Indoors it's great for tight crops of faces and outdoors I mostly use it for candid shots while street walking. One thing to keep in mind though, the longer focal range requires you to shoot at a relatively faster shutter speed, which makes it tougher to hand hold in dim light. I've considered upgrading to the 85mm 1.4, although that opens up a whole new can of worms... long story short, most feel the 1.8 is better bang for the buck, while the rest are convinced that the 1.4 is legendary. (For what it's worth, I'm using these lenses on a D90, APS-C)
Jun 3, 2010 by R. Maravilla
votes
I usually use this website http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=16 You can filter the photos by camera model and lens model. I believe the source of the pictures are all from Flicker
Jul 26, 2013 by Sherry
votes
The 50mm f/1.4 is sharper across all apertures; the two lenses are probably closest in sharpness at the 24-70's max of f/2.8, but by f/4 the 50mm f/1.4 is clearly in the lead. To further cement things, the light falloff of the 50mm f/1.4 is also clearly superior to the 24-70 f/2.8L, most visibly at larger apertures. Depending on your camera, this second item may not be a big issue; when EF-series lenses are used on APS-C sized sensors the pictures benefit from a reduced light falloff due to less of the image hitting the lens being captured by the sensor (the infamous "crop factor"). Link to 50mm f/1.4 to 24-70mm f/2.8L comparison: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=101&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=3&API=0&LensComp=115&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=4 (copy both lines of the address into your browser) So, that's the f/1.4, what about its little sibling, the 50mm f/1.8 II? The L glass does better against the "nifty fifty", but still loses in sharpness from f/4 through f/5.6; at f/2.8 and from f/8 to f/11 the two are about equal. The 50mm again benefits from reduced light falloff, but not as dramatically as the f/1.4. Link: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=101&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=3&API=0&LensComp=105&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2 It really shouldn't be surprising that even L-series zooms can't stand up to prime lenses under certain conditions. Even the 50mm f/1.8 II, currently selling for barely $100, can get away with such prices because 1) the lens makes considerable sacrifices elsewhere (build quality, AF motor, lack of full-time manual focus, etc) 2) 50mm primes, in particular, were once the standard lens and so have had more research & development than just about any other fixed focal length and 3) it's vastly, vastly easier to design a fixed focal length prime lens than to make a complicated zoom, especially a fixed-aperture zoom, and a high-quality one at that, which the 24-70mm f/2.8L is. That's why the 24-70mm f/2.8L is currently $1350, the 50mm f/1.4 goes for $350 and the f/1.8 II for only $100. You get what you pay for. There are other things the L-series lens likely does better, such as color saturation and vividness; I haven't seen any website providing such comparisons online, and you asked specifically about sharpness, anyway. Think of it this way: zooms, even L-series, are by nature jacks-of-all-trades. The really expensive ones are really, really good. But they still have to make compromises in order to get the best image quality across the range of the zoom. The primes, meanwhile, are single-purpose lenses, so even the cheap ones can equal the performance of a zoom set to its focal length, while the mid-price ones can easily surpass it.
Aug 29, 2010 by Daniel Cowden
votes
Yes, it will work. If you look at lenshero.com you can see all lenses that will be compatible with that camera.
Jun 18, 2013 by M. Parnell
vote
There are a couple of differences, but the real question is what are your needs as a photographer? I'm guessing that since you are asking what the differences are between these lenses, your needs are not of the professional nature, but I don't want to assume. The F1.2 is a pro lens. It is a stop faster, has sharper optics, manual focus override with just a twist of the lens, and from what I've heard nicer bokeh. Generally Canon puts everything it has into its "L" lenses. Better optics, build quality, and finish. I do not own the F1.2. I don't need it. To quote a friend of mine that shoots models all day in L.A., "If someone hadn't stolen my F1.4, I would not have purchased the F1.2". For someone who shoots portrait and magazine covers all day and makes a living at it, the subtle differences of the F1.2 are worth the extra money. For someone like me, who shoots portraits on occasion or shots for web sites etc., the F1.4 is a wonderful lens. It's very fast, handles well, and produces great photos. Not to discount the F1.2; it is an amazing lens and if money were no object of course I would own it. Hope this helps. Happy shooting!
Apr 24, 2014 by Andrew
votes
Any lens can be used for landscape as long as you have the proper distance. Last night I just shot a landscape with 70mm using a 70-200. I also shot landscapes with 300mm with 70-300. But definitely the 50mm can be used for landscapes but its strength really is taking photos in street and low-light. It's a good lens that allows you to be creative.
Dec 25, 2013 by Mark Anthony L. Serrano
votes
USM stands for Ultra Sonic Motor, basically it focuses very fast and quiet. If you've used the 1.8 version of this lens (not USM) you'll notice a huge improvement. The STM stands for Stepper Motor and this type of video was built with video in mind. On video the STM beats the USM by far in focusing speed (objects in motion, when you use it with a canon 70 which focuses automatically) and in focusing noise, STM are super silent.
Dec 13, 2013 by Rod L
votes
Yes. Any EF lens will fit a full-frame OR crop sensor. I don't buy EF-S lenses because they will ONLY fit crop sensors (30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D, 7D). The 1, 5 and 6 series Canons all have full frame sensors and, since you may want to upgrade one day, stick with EF lenses so they'll fit whatever you've got. :-)
Mar 21, 2014 by P. Repage
votes
The 1.4 is the lowest aperture. This i not the place to right a full lesson on what aperture achieves (paragraphs my friend!), but there is plenty of that info available with minimal searching required.
Nov 11, 2014 by MuttyMutt
votes
There are several really nice macro lenses for Canon bodies. If you have a crop sensor body (Canon Rebel, 20D, 7D, 60D, etc.) then the EF-s 60mm is a popular choice. Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Digital SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLR Cameras. It is very lightweight but has a fairly short minimum focusing distance for 1:1 capture. It also makes a decent (not great like the Canon 85mm f1.8) portrait lens for a starter kit. For a bit more money the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro is a classic. Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras. It has a longer minimum focus distance which helps let more light fall between you and the subject. For serious bang the Tamron 180mm macro is a real winner IMHO. It has still more distance for 1:1 focus which is really essential for insects and other small creatures that easily spook.... not really an issue with orchids but it also means less stooping. Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras. Whichever you choose consider the following: 1.)Light, light, and more light!!! Macro work has a narrow depth of field so small apertures are common. This resolves more detail but chokes off light. The on camera flash will often not cover the full frame if the distance is very close. For a starter light source check out the Opteka RL-12 macro ring light. Opteka RL-12 Digital Macro LED Ring Light for Canon EOS, Nikon, Sony Alpha, Olympus & Pentax Digital SLR Cameras It is very handy and very affordable. It has adapters included that work with any of the listed lenses (plus many others). 2.)Steady hands! Macro and telephoto work are quick to show even the slightest camera shake. A portable tripod is a great way to use longer shutter speeds and soak up more light and detail. There are so many choices on the market but the Vanguard Alta + 255CP carbon fiber tripod is a great starting point and currently priced at an unbelievable 175 bucks with a fantastic head included. It is strong, light weight, very stable and folds down to fit an overhead bag for flights. Vanguard Alta + 255CP Carbon Fiber 5-Section Tripod Leg Set with PH-32 Panhead and Tripod Case, Maximum Height 53-7/8", Supports 8.8 lbs. A remote shutter release for you specific camera is highly recommended as well. Use these in conjunction with the mirror lock-up function on your camera and get great shots with most any macro lens currently on the market. For what it's worth, I currently own all the equipment mentioned except the Canon 100mm macro (sold after going to Tamron 180mm) and can confidently vouch for the quality of everything listed. I hope this helps. Happy shooting!
Sep 6, 2011 by Donovan X
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   20   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers