1,241 Reviews

4,902 of 4,958 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Why spend more?
With the 50mm f1.8 lens available for less than a hundred dollars, why spend so much more to get the f1.4? The answer is, you may not need to. It all depends on your seriousness, budget, and how long you need your lens to last.

If you want a "starter lens" for shooting at 50mm (or with prime lenses in general), the f1.8 would be a great buy. 50mm is a very...
Published on March 15, 2005 by Careful Critic

2.0 out of 5 stars Great optics, fraught with AF failure issues
This lens makes great pictures. There's no doubt about that. But what is in doubt is how long it will make those great pictures.

I bought this lens, and as soon as it was out of warranty, the autofocus failed. I took it in and had it repaired (at about half the original cost of the lens) and a few months later the AF failed again.

I researched...
Published on August 13, 2007 by B. Diaz

‹ Previous | 154 55 56125 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great portrait lens, September 24, 2014
Ezrway (Latham, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras (Camera)
I finally got to play around with this the other night and I really like the way I portrait shots come with using our Canon Digital Rebel XTi. My 8 year old was my unwilling subject.

I am much happier with the quality of portrait shots with this lens than the ones I get using a low end zoom that came with our 35 MM film Canon Rebel Ti. It's a 28 - 90 MM.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite!, December 8, 2014
Best lens ever! This one is my absolut favorite! I have a 70-200mm 2.8f L series and a 24-105mm 4f L series but I cant just quit this one. Of course L series lenses are out of this world, the best lenses out there, but this 50mm 1.4f is special, the image quality is just amazing and you can use it for a lot of different things: photoshoots, events, food, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS LENS!, May 9, 2008
I can't understate the usefulness of this lens. Sure, it's not a zoom lens. However, it "sees" the world about the same as your eye (same magnification), so it's great for just capturing scenes as they were.

But what's really outstanding is the F-stop. F1.4 is INCREDIBLE. This allows you to use shutter speeds many times faster than, cheap "kit" lenses. Even among the "L" series lenses, you can't find a telephoto lens with an F-stop better than F2.8, which means this lens allows you to take pictures in relatively low-light conditions that you simply cannot take with most other lenses (without getting blur).

Plus, mount this lens on a tripod and take pictures in almost zero light and you'll be able to see things your own eyes can't capture. I was at the profile location of Mt. Rushmore at 3 am on a moonless night and couldn't see where the mountain was at all - pure black sky and mountain. I mounted my rebel xti with this lens on a tripod and guessed, and there was George Washington. Sure, you can do delayed exposures with other lenses, but this lens will do them faster or produce brighter results than anything but the "L" series F1.2 (if you want to pay double the price).

Also, a better F-stop usually means better, faster auto-focus, meaning you get more good, clear shots.

Finally, the booka. Go look at the sample photos taken with this lens. The blur you can achieve with it is stunning, especially if you compare it to a cheap lens you might have gotten with your camera, like the 18-55mm one. With this lens, almost anyone can take photos that look like they were taken by a seasoned professional - REALLY! Just get used to how your camera body sets the f-stop and metering (turn your flash OFF!!) get your exposure and ISO settings set to give you a generous amount of light, and start taking pictures. You (and your subjects) will be stunned by the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned photography, January 26, 2011
This lens is great. It is sharp as long as it is not wide open. It more or less eliminates the need for a flash in indoor photography and portraits turn out great. Focussing is quick and accurate. The lens is not for the novice photographer. When wide open, the depth of field is shallow and this has to be taken into account. It is quite expensive, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice lens, January 17, 2008
LG (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great lens. I'm not a professional but I enjoy taken a lot of pictures. I have a Canon 40D that came with a zoom and I needed a faster lens. This was the answer to that. I still think I'm going to need a fast wider angle lens to take pictures in my house. But they are very expensive. I'm going to have to leave with what I have for some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and fast auto focus. Great response., August 15, 2014
Great pictures. I would get this lens if you were a beginner trying to get into portrait photography. You can get some awesome shots and learn bokeh with this lens. The lens is affordable. Your pictures will look like a professional shot them. Just learn your basics and you should be good to go.

Great and fast auto focus. Great response.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will take more pictures and enjoy photography more if you buy this lens :), July 13, 2014
This lens is just SO much fun to shoot with. I pop it on my Canon 6D or 60D and I just want to take pictures of everything. I think anything and everything else you could say about it outside of quality are minor compared to that. You just have to feel your camera with a compact little lens that gets such great results to know what I mean. It brings out the fun of photography more than any other lens I own.

The 1.4 aperture is very tricky, so if you're not used to something so wide, be ready for a learning curve. It opens up a world of photography with its high quality images, huge aperture (light gathering and bokeh abilities), small size, and pretty good price.

I sprung for the 1.4 instead of the 1.8 just to be able to use the manual override focus. I figured the wide aperture would be tricky to focus and I would need that feature. I've never used the 1.8 though so couldn't give a fair comparison.

I've read plenty of reviews on the failing autofocus. So far mine is still working (knock on wood), but I plan to post an update if that changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good workhorse and fast lens, especially for the money, July 12, 2014
This is a very good lens from and IQ standpoint. Much better than the 50mm f/1.8 II. In some regards it performs as well as the more expensive 50mm f/1.2L version of the lens. Just couldn't justify spending that much money on a 50mm L. This lens does exhibit some coma when taking star shots, and also won't work on IR converted sensors (produces a hot-spot in the center) but those the only negatives, and the 50mm f/1.2L has the same issues. If I really wanted to jump up to a premium grade standard lens (although almost all will have issues with coma and aberrations for bright specular highlights and stars), then I'd consider the new Sigma 50mm art lens which is excellent and won't break the bank like the Canon L lens will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great. The bouke on this is almost circular and ..., July 12, 2014
Really great. The bouke on this is almost circular and the 1.4 is a lot of bright. Nice lens, buy a UV filter to protect it as a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11, 2014