5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic capabilities, September 7, 2008
This review is from: Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Tilt Shift Lens for Canon SLR Cameras (Electronics)
This lens is a macro, a short telephoto, a portrait lens, and a landscape lens that offers new creative possibilities. Because depth of field can be manipulated as in a view camera, this is proving to be my most versatile lens in my bag, in spite of the fact it is "just" a 90mm prime lens. For macro shooting, even with an extension tube, additional depth of field possibilities open up with the tilt. The lens is a fantastic straight-on prime lens for portraits. I find entirely new possibilities for landscape shooting. And hand-held shots are no problem at all, even with maximum tilt. Though it is strictly a manual focus lens (the AF does not work on this one) the image in the view finder is so bright I have no problem manually focusing. Because of the extreme depth of field capabilities, my wide angle lens gets used less now that I have this lens to play with. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing lens with lots of creative possibilities, February 7, 2010
I also own the newer Canon 24mm 3.5L mark II tilt shift so I wasn't sure if I'd be happy with this earlier version of a Canon tilt/shift but I wanted to add tilt/shift capabilities in a 90mm. After using it for a few weeks, I must say it is a very impressive lens. While this one does not sport the "L" designation, it is as sharp as my "L" lenses. Color and contrast is very good, and it produces a wonderful bokeh as well. I use it with a full frame Canon 5D mk II. As with my other tilt/shift, it is easier to focus these manual focus lenses using Live View as you can also better view the effects of your tilt/shift combination. The focus confirmation works, but Live View (zoomed in) gives you a more critical focus.

Unlike the 2 newer TS/E models (24mkII and 17), you can not rotate the tilt and shift axis seperately. Your tilt and shift rotate together on this model. I understand you can have Canon rebuild to a 90 degree seperation if you so desire, but it is not something you can do out in the field when using the lens. However, in most shooting situations, this limitation will not be a problem. Also, as with other tilt/shift, it is better to get your exposure readings before making tilt/shift adjustments as the angle can fool your through-the-lens exposure readings. The lens is fairly compact for a tilt/shift model. The tilt/shift adjustment knobs are a bit on the small side but still managable.

I am very favorably impressed with this lens, and while it sells for much less than its newer siblings, it can still hold its own in critical shooting situations. It has a wonderful rendering of images that is very pleasing. This focal length can be used for macro (you can use extension tubes with it), portraits, products, and architecture when shooting from a distance. Because of its outstanding optical quality it can even be used for landscape when you don't need a wide angle. It will also work with the 1.4X extender.

Overall, this is a very versatile lens that can be used in many creative ways. If you are looking for a tilt/shift and don't need wide angle, this lens has exceptional optical quality, sturdy build, and costs much less than the newer models recently introduced. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for tabletop product photo, July 4, 2010
Ryuji Suzuki (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This lens is great for shooting product photography. I use it for food, shoes, bags, jewelry, and a lot of things. Sometimes, I add two macro rings and get fairly high magnification (like 1:1 or half life size) but the image quality is still very good, with almost zero chromatic aberration thanks to the true double Gauss design. However, when doing product photography, I want to have independent axes for tilt and shift. This lens ships with cross-axis configuration, which I changed to in-axis, which is a bit more useful, but frequently, I want 30 or 45-degree between those axes.

I also use it for corrective portraiture, when shooting headshots with people with round face, double chin, or some other difficult features. Since there is no autofocus, this is not the easiest thing to do, but people who are really conscious about their facial features will usually cooperate with me with this slow working lens, when I tell this is one of the best but unknown tricks anyone can use, combined with lighting technique, etc... If the model has no such issue, I prefer to shoot 85mm with AF.

I took one star away because I can't change the axes of tilt and shift independently.

Incidentally, TS-E 45mm is terrible at anything like half life size, and it gets a lot worse with tele converter. That lens is good for bigger objects.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sharp, well saturated lens, December 7, 2008
I do a lot of flowers and scenery. The tilt and shift lenses are often thought of as primarily for architectural photography, but the 90mm Canon f2.8 TS EOS lens has gained a good reputation for its close focusing and portrait applications, areas that are of interest to me.

So far, I'm pleased. I'll upload a favorite flower shot as an example.

What surprised me more than the versatility of the manually focusing lens is the color saturation--far greater than some L primes and as good as Leitz lenses. That says a great deal about the quality of the glass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great creative tool, May 22, 2009
Before I start the review, let me state that I am a professional wedding photographer and my review will be from that perspective.

Having the TS-E 90 is, in my opinion, the equivalent to having a fish-eye lens. Once you get to a certain point in your career (or expensive hobby), you start to look for ways to trigger more creativity and give you that feeling you got when you bought your first L lens. Like a fisheye, this lens allows you to create images that stand out from the crowd. Of course the effects are different, but the reasoning behind the purchase/owning the lenses is the same: to give you more creative control.

This being said, the tilt-shift lens allows you to do several things that really make your images POP:

1. You can tilt/shift the lens to make a tiny slice of DOF which really makes your subject stand out. This is not tiny like an 85 1.2, but tiny more like a Lensbaby (but better). I use it to make the bride's eyes really pop out while giving a super-soft dreamy look to her dress and the background.

2. You can tilt/shift an image to make the subject(s) look like they're miniature. (If you haven't seen this before, Google tilt-shift photography) Although initially this seems gimmicky, and it is if over used, you can really utilize this feature to make some stand-out images. Whenever I employ this technique, such as a shot of a ceremony from a high vantage point, the bride and groom inevitably compliment the image and are amazed at how unique the shot it.

3. Finally, you can also tilt/shift an image of architecture (for me, churches) to stop the vertical lines from converging at the top. This makes buildings look like they should. Although this seems like a small benefit, the difference a tilt-shifted building makes is that much more professional than one that is not. It's another quality that makes clients compliment the image without really knowing why it's so good.

To conclude, while this is an expensive lens and is certainly not for everybody, I feel that if you can justify the price, it will most definitely be a great addition to your bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative photo lens, February 7, 2014
When I purchased a used lens copy of this TS-E lens, I was already familiar with tilt/shift lenses by using both the 24/3.5 I and II TS-E versions. The design of the 90/2.8 TS-E is the same one as formerly used in the 24/3.5 TS-E I lens. Advantage of this old build style is its metal lens body and better knobs to turn compared to the new 24/3.5 II TS-E lens. The TS-E lenses of the older style on the other hand lack the option to rotate easily tilt and shift perpendicular or parallel to each other. I preferred with the old version of the 24/3.5 I TS-E lens to have the tilt in parallel to the shift which is a 90 deg turn of the lens mount against the front part of the lens (manufacturing setting for the old type of Canon TS-E lenses is perpendicular tilt versus shift). This can fairly easily being done by unscrewing the 4 tiny screws in the corners of the lens housing, turning one of the two parts 90 degrees counter-clockwise, and reattaching both lens parts against each other. I prefer this position because it is more useful in landscape and especially with the 90/2.8 TS-E for macro photography to increase depth of field by tilting the lens.

The 90/2.8 TS-E lens turned out to be surprisingly sharp even when fully shifted in either direction without any visible vignetting which was a major issue in the first version of the 24/3.5 TS-E I lens. This 90/2.8 TS-E lens can easily compete in sharpness with my very sharp copy of the newer 24/3.5 TS-E II lens. I also tested this lens with my full frame infrared camera with cutoff at 715 nm, and it worked flawlessly. Merging three photos taken in both shift directions and without shift works easily without any remaining distortions or problems for the post processing software to merge the photos.

So far I only used this lens for landscape photography, but I am sure it is excellent for macro and close-up photography, too. Since it is a manual focus lens like all other TS-E lenses, I recommend finding a good used lens copy for a reasonable price. Canon will likely update this lens in 2014/2015 time frame with a new model which likely will be able to rotate tilt versus shift more easily (as in the 24/3.5 TS-E II lens). I am not convinced that I would benefit from a new lens model of this already superior lens in image quality. I am glad that I am now owning this lens - definitely a keeper and one of my sharpest lenses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect product photography lens for full frame, March 12, 2013
David Siegfried (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This is the ideal product photography lens for small to medium sized objects on a full-frame camera. I guess I don't REALLY need the precision focusing abilities that this lens provides for posting product shots on the online auction site (you know the one), but I find that the quality of the image makes a big impression and brings in higher sales if it looks professional--plus I just enjoy playing with what this lens can do. This is not for a one-off product shot where you snap a quick photo and throw it up on the web. You take your time with this lens and get the composition just right. I don't use it for anything gimmicky like miniature or other effects and I rarely even use the shift function, as these days perspective correction can be done just as easily in PhotoShop. In fact, the way I use the lens, the viewer would never even realize that a tilt was used. That's because I just use it to maximize the focus on the surface of products; what the viewer sees is a product that might be set on an angle yet the whole visible face of it is in focus.

For precision accuracy, this is best used with a tripod and live view, although I have managed to take a few shots hand-held with the lens tilted. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it. The other pluses besides the tilt and shift functions are that 1) The lens has no light fall-off (vignetting) wide open (unshifted), 2) It focuses nice and close (not as close as a macro, but suitable for small objects), and 3)It's one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes (again unshifted) and remains sharp when tilted. This may even be the sharpest of all the Canon TS-E lenses.

I use this on a full-frame camera; on APS-C it's going to emulate a 144mm lens which is too long to be useful for product photography, particularly in my cramped home studio. The 45mm TS-E would be better suited for APS-C sensor cameras, although it isn't as sharp as this lens. The only drawback of this lens is that it is not very convenient to use in a less controlled environment such as walking about in nature; I would probably reach for an autofocus macro lens in those situations before this lens, even though the tilt and shift might be desirable. It's not very practical to stop and set up each shot with a tripod when you're on a trip with companions in tow. I won't deduct any points for that though because this lens does what it's designed to do very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, May 23, 2014
This is an awesome lens. If you shoot food or architecture this is a must have lens in your camera case

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish it had zoom., November 22, 2008
Ease of focusing depends on the camera and one's visual acuity;
not so easy for me and a Canon 20D with standard focusing screen.
However, images obtained with correct focus can be highly rewarding.
Extender, extension tubes and ring flash are worthwhile accessories.

If Canon made a zoom with tilt+shift, it could be my primary lens.

Rate and Discover Movies