Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on February 2, 2010
Excellent case, particularly for the price. I live on the Big Island where the reef is only a 15min drive, thus get to use my gear every few weeks. I bought the G11 as an everyday carry camera and a dive camera. The case is setup with a tray and a Sea&Sea YS-110 flash unit. Photo quality is excellent, challenging much larger DSLR cameras for quality in a unit that costs far less. The only major issue with using the G11 underwater is the relatively slow shutter response.

Unlike some cases, all controls are accessible, with the sole exception of the thumbwheel. To adjust values that require the thumbwheel, hold the shortcut button down and use the left and right buttons on the rocker to adjust up and down. A two hand workaround, but there is a way.

The case is better than previous WP-DC21 for the G9, some of the controls have been moved for better access for fat fingers in dive gloves. I have yet to accidentally power off the camera when trying to take a photo with this case.

Yes, the case has no warranty, expected in an underwater case where a small grain of sand or poor maintenance of the seals can cause a leak. If you can not afford to lose a camera, don't take it 30m underwater.
review image review image
on January 15, 2010
I purchased this case from Amazon on November 14th. I took it on a dive on January 7th. I followed all instructions, lubricating the gasket, testing it on a snorkeling trip, etc. On the first dive to 60 feet with this case I took 78 wonderful pictures but the case started to leak on the way back up to the surface (the leak started at about 20 feet, during decompression). Although there was only a small amount of water in the case it did damage the camera -- initially causing the camera to turn off immediately whenever it was turned on with an "E31" error. After drying out for a day the camera now does work, although there is some damage to the LDC screen from mineral deposits left when the moisture that worked its way into the LDC screen evaporated.

Here is my warning about this case -- IT HAS NO WARRANTY!!! NONE. I just talked (January 15th) to both a Canon service representative and a supervisor ("Marvin"), and was explicitly told that Canon offers no warranty on their underwater cases. Even though the case comes in a Canon box that has claims stated on it -- that this is a "Waterproof Case" and that it is good to "40m/130 feet" -- the case has no warranty. This is simply unacceptable and retailers like Amazon that sell this product an an "Underwater case" that is "Waterproof" should stop doing so until an explicit warranty is included with the product.

I was given an address to send this case to for "testing," but I was explicitly told that Canon was under NO LEGAL obligation to either fix or replace this case. Buyer beware and avoid purchasing all Canon underwater cases until Canon accepts some legal responsibility that products which they make and market can live up to the description that they print on the box.
1616 comments|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2010
I purchased this case for my new Canon G11 and had used it for 7 days on a 14 day dive trip, cleaning and greasing the o-ring after each dive. On the 8th day, I noticed some drops of water on the inside of the case during a dive. I brought it up and took it straight to the dive table to dry and open it. I found 4 drops of water on the inside and a fine mist. I thoroughly dried and cleaned it and put it in a tank of water without the camera and found that it again had a few drops of water inside. So I discontinued the use during the rest of my dive trip. I got home today and called Canon and was told there is no warranty. They did finally tell me to mail it in to them and they would take a look at it, but may not be able to do anything about it. They also told me that no one has ever had a problem with this case, but as I looked on this page, I noticed there are others with problems and they have also called them in. So my faith in Canon products went downhill quickly. I had never had a Canon but after many recommendations decided to try this product and may truly regret it now.
66 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2011
I have used this case with my G11/G12 cameras for diving down to 110 feet on a number of dive trips. I did not have any problems with leaking underwater. However, like all underwater cases, there are some steps that are necessary and prudent to reduce the chance of leakage.

1. I use a small cartridge of moisture absorbent in the case to absorb any condensation. Sealife makes a pack of 10 cartridges that sell for about $8-9 on Amazon.
2. I am meticulous about keeping the seal clean (using a Q-tip) and using a small amount of silicon grease on the seal prior to closing the case. After closing the case, I will test it in fresh water (like in a trash can to make sure that it has sealed correctly - if there are no drops of water after 30 minutes, I am reasonably confident that it has sealed).
3. I purchased extra O-rings for the seal from Canon. If I see any questionable spots, such as dents or nicks, I will use a new O-ring. O-rings are cheap compared to a new camera. Also, I store the case with the O-ring removed from the its slot so that it does not stretch or flatten out.
4. I try to avoid opening the case on the boat or beach and prefer to pack the camera in my hotel room - this helps to keep out sand, hair, etc. which can cause leaks.

Overall the housing is very nice and the camera also takes good pictures. It is particularly useful to shoot in RAW mode and use Adobe Lightroom for the color correction.
on November 30, 2009
Very recent purchase, and I've only used it on about 15 dives but I've been very pleased. The only issue I've had is a stuck shutter button at 85' feet when diving a wreck. I had to power off between shots. It released itself at the safety stop and I noticed after the dive that there was a cut out in the clear plastic around the shutter button that I could have used to insert a pick and relase it manualy. It may have been due to the silty nature of the wreck interior and it seems to have been a freak accident - one that I now know how to correct without losing shots. I have no complaints with the Canon housing at all.
on February 10, 2010
I'm a newly certified diver and was looking for an affordable but good quality option for taking underwater photos. The case for my SLR ran upwards of $1,400 so I tried the WP-DC34 with the Canon G11 and am absolutely thrilled with the results! Some of the controls (e.g. zoom) are easier to use with the housing than without. I'd recommend this for a serious amateur on a budget.
on November 23, 2010
I work on a dive boat and have seen many of these cases leak, so when I got my G11 I considered getting an Ikelite or 10 Bar housing. They were a little out of my price range. Big mistake as I have now had to buy a G12 to replace my flooded G11, and will now be buying a new uw houseing to replace my leaky WP DC34. I have cleaned and replaced the o-rings but it still leaks. The G series uw housings from canon are crap.
on December 20, 2010
We bought this item for our Canon G11 camera which we cannot fault - it is a great camera. However, due to a lack of diving opportunities, we were unable to test it for a few months. When we eventually took it underwater, we found that the shutter release button jammed. To rectify this fault, we had to return the product to the manufacturer in Illinois.
Well this turned out to be where all the fun started! At first they ignored it, then they acknowledged that they did actually have it but it was sent without the receipt and paperwork - it was not! They have replied to just one email despite being sent about 10 emails requesting information. Their Customer Service staff have ranged from robots that give no help whatsoever to some that are just plain rude.
Currently, I am still no wiser as to the state of my repair despite them having had it for over a month! They still haven't acknowledged that it is a Warranty repair.
This is shockingly bad customer service from a global brand that ought to be ashamed of itself.
on July 4, 2011
It worked.
I did the following to gain the confidence to use it in the water:
1. Knowing it uses the same principle as clean O rings for vacuum system
2. Must do homework before using: follow the instruction- put the enclosed case without camera in the tub water to make sure there is no leak, then put the enclosed case with camera in the water, make sure no leaks.
3. then make sure never touch the O ring while taking in and out of the camera.
4. get familiar with all the button position before diving.
Then using this case is easy and worry-free.
on December 12, 2010
Took my case (empty no camera), and dove to 60ft to test for leaks on my first use. It leaked.

Upon inspection I found a couple of grits of sand pinched in the seal from a prior test snorkeling in salt water.

Also there's an excellent write up about the mould lines in the seal grove. I checked my seal and sure enough one of the mold lines is deep enough to cast a line indentation on the seal. google "canon underwater mould line fix" Otherwise a great case