5.0 out of 5 stars Price performance can't be beat, even if at MSRP
Published on May 2, 2010 by HappyDad

2.0 out of 5 stars needs a dedicated fax line!
Published on June 16, 2010 by Brian E. Wallace

5.0 out of 5 stars Price performance can't be beat, even if at MSRP, May 2, 2010
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MX340 Wireless Office All-in-One Printer (4204B019) (Office Product)
Got this printer couple of weeks ago and it has been performing up to my expectation. I still cannot believe the price of this AIO printer. Even at the MSRP of $99 from Canon, it is still very well below a comparable unit from other brands. I like a good bargain, so originally I had 2nd thought on getting this because it was only $10 cheaper at Amazon than list price. However, after comparing other AIO printers with similar features like wireless, fax, auto-document feeder, this became a no-brainer.
Pros:
- AIO with fax.
- Mac friendly software
- Price point
- Sleek symmetric design vs. other brands (i.e. all trays are closable to create a neat look)
- Self opening output tray if tray is closed. I had other printers where if I forgot to open the output tray, the paper would just cumple up.
- Easy Wi-Fi setup
- reasonable replacement OEM ink cartridge prices.
- iPhone/iPod touch app for printing photos from your iPhone or iPod touch.
- USB cable included, useful and a must for initial setup
Cons:
- so far I have not been able to fax from my MacBook wirelessly, though faxing from PC wirelessly works.
- slow start-up like most other users have experienced

I have owned AIO printers from HP, Lexmark, and Epson before. This model by far has been the best price performance for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good printer for the price, May 14, 2010
This is a good printer for the price. I had a little problem setting up the wireless because the manual is not very clear in the instructions but I was able to set it up. I work as an IT so I dont know if this is going to be a problem for others. Also, when I tried scanning to the PC wirelessly, I got an error message from the computer about the MP Navigator. I went to the product website and found out that you need to install a separate software to get the scan to PC to work. Now, everything works except for a couple of things that this printer/software leaves to be desired -

1. OCR only scans text into notepad. Scan to Word does not work.
2. When the color ink runs out, you can not even print B/W copies.

The print quality is good and it print fast but Canon needs to fix the above 2 issues. It just doesnt make sense. My older printer which is a Brother MFC 210C can scan to word and I can still print B/W even when one of the color inks run out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works really well with my iMac and Snow Leopard, May 29, 2010
My ancient HP G5 All-In-One finally croaked, so I ordered one of these. I didn't really expect it would be any good considering how cheap it is, but I have been pleasantly surprised. The construction is really excellent, and it looks a lot better than most of the flimsy competition I looked at from HP and the rest. There aren't any floppy pieces dangling off it waiting to get broken. I am using it with an iMac 30" running OS X 10.6.3.

Setup was fairly straightforward using the wireless connection. The manual takes about 50 pages to get round to telling you that all you need to do is hit the menu button on the printer and find the LAN sub-menu, then choose the network and enter the password. The software for the iMac pretty much installs itself.

The included software is good. This is usually a problem with Macs and printers/scanners, but not this time. The scanner will scan straight into Mail, or into your Pictures folder, in jpg, tiff, or pdf. The scans are excellent, much better than the stand-alone HP Scanjet I paid $300 for not so long ago. Print quality is quite good, and reasonably fast, but I really got this for scanning and faxing, with just light duty printing when I don't want to walk over to the laser printer.

I am still laughing to myself over the insane value this represents. I honestly can't remember ever getting such a great piece of gear so cheap. It cost more to buy the Airport Express that hooks it to the LAN. I have never posted a review on Amazon before, but this machine is just so great that I had to.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Agony and the Ecstasy, June 24, 2010
The Agony:
I've been setting up equipment all my life (and liking it!) and I've got to say this has some of the worst documentation I've ever come across. The printed manual is a joke, leaving out huge blocks of information.

I tried following the manual as long as possible, but after reaching a dead end, my best option was to tinker and hope for a friendly user interface. Fat chance.

Another reviewer had mentioned disregarding the first 50 pages of the manual and setting up the wireless via the LCD display. That was the best advice I'd had all day. Even so, entering the router password was hardly intuitive, especially with caps, lower case, and special characters involved. Hint: cycle through the character types via the * key.

It turns out that the documentation on the installation CD is more complete, though it has more twists and turns than a plate of spaghetti. In Canon's defense, the machine does have a lot of features--but that's still no excuse.

Some of the CD contents seems unnecessary, especially for Mac users. At least Canon allows a custom installation and a pretty good explanation of what you are (or aren't) installing.

I'm used to scanning from within Photoshop and believe it or not, that is possible. I found a plugin and manually installed it in the appropriate Photoshop folder. It worked.

Obviously, Canon won't make any money on this until you go through a few ink cartridges. And judging from the small size of them, finding a reasonable price is a must. If you're considering this machine, remember it locks down functions when the ink is gone AND it uses color ink even when printing / copying in b/w.

The Ecstasy:
Print quality is simply outstanding, and that's coming from a longtime graphic designer who's very particular about output. My first page was for a final logo design and everything was flawless (on Konica glossy stock). No jaggies at all, even under magnification.

The scanner quality was passable and extremely quick (150 dpi color scan 6x4) taking 10-15 seconds. I expect better results once I have a chance to tinker with the software.

My wireless network was automatically recognized and integrated once the password entry glitch was overcome.

For me, the bottom line of quality and value far outweighs the gruesome setup and ongoing costs.

July 12 edit:

After recently installing Adobe CS5, I learned that the Canon scanner plugin (and all scanner plugins, for that matter) will not work with Photoshop CS5's Import menu. It has to do with the switch to 64-bit. So now I can either open Photoshop CS3 to scan within PS or use Canon's funky included scanning software. This isn't Canon's fault, but it is something you should know.

2013 edit:

If you're using a Mac, forget about Canon's scanning software and scan from Preview. Go to File > Import from Scanner (be sure your Canon is turned on first). Great interface and plenty of options without being overwhelming.

2.0 out of 5 stars needs a dedicated fax line!, June 16, 2010
this seems to be a great all in one for the price,however im upset about the fax end of it. im replacing an older brother that has always worked well for faxing but didn't do too well on printing.the reason for the 2 star rating is that this machine really needs a dedicated fax line,even though it will work without it by hooking up a phone to the fax machine. then, and only, if you recieve a fax you must pick up the phone attached to the printer to receive the fax. if you pick up a different phone from somewhere else in the house you will not receive the fax. if you set the fax settings as fax only and someone picks up the phone when a fax is coming, you will not receive the fax.basically, you must know when a fax is coming and be ready to answer the dedicated phone attached to the printer in order to receive it. i called canon and they confirmed the operation and apologized,but thats the way it works. if you have a dedicated fax line, youre good. otherwise,great fast printing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe I got such a nice printer for such a low price, May 12, 2010
R. Hewitt (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I was impressed as soon as I unpacked this printer. It feels solid and well made. I was also impressed that Canon included EVERYTHING I might need, including both ink cartridges, USB cable, and telephone cabling. They didn't skimp on cable length, either. These might seem like small things, but I notice when a company takes extra steps to make sure their customers' needs are met because that's the sort of company I want to do business with.

So far, this seems to be a very well designed machine. Even though it has so many features that I've barely begun to explore them all, the basics were simple to find and easy to use. It supports Wi-Fi Secured Setup and fortunately so does my AT&T U-verse router. If your router does too, you're in luck. From the printer side, just tell it to use WSP. That takes some menu scrolling, but the instructions are clear. Then go push a button on the router or (as in my case) on the router's web interface, and voila...the two find each other and get married. That's it. Now you have a networked printer!

I like that this has a document feed on top. That's a nice feature you don't always find in home printers.

Driver and software install via the CD was flawless. As a software developer, I'm critical of install software that doesn't quite work right or that wastes my time, but there was nothing to criticize here. I'm also impressed by the quality and quantity of useful software utilities delivered on the CD. The one niddling complaint I could make is that it would have been nice to have everything installed under one (Windows) StartMenu folder instead of 5(!), but that's no big deal and is easily changed.

I can't speak to ink usage or to longevity yet because I've only just started using this machine. If I have problems, I'll update this review, but for now at least I'm waaaay more than happy with this purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great printing, epic setup, June 23, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Canon Pixma MX340 is your pretty average featured multifunction inkjet machine. The kind of machine that is at home in the home office, or now with wireless technology, you can pretty much put it anywhere with a plug where it is within range of your wireless router. Perhaps the home office can now become a crafting room or a man den. Totally up to you.

I have experience with an almost-equivalent featured machine from HP: HP Photosmart C7280 Color Inkjet Printer that I have been using in my home (for personal and business use) for the past 2 years or so, so hopefully I can offer some insight.

Size and appearance wise, I think the HP C7280 is more modern and pretty looking (think clean white ipod-ish) and Canon is pretty much a no-thrills office machine, aesthetically.

They both offer inkjet printing, scanning, and faxing. Both have ADF (document feeder). The HP has automated duplexing (double sided printing) but that feature usually leads to me having to pull the printer off the shelf and extract little bits of paper from the inside. Apparently, duplexing makes the HP very hungry.

Even though the HP was released a couple of years ago, I find that the quality- at least in printing-is comparable between the two machines- if not a bit more accurate on the Canon.

To test the Canon I took a lab printed photo of my son and made a color copy on regular paper, and then high quality print using the little packet of Canon photo paper included with the printer. The copies were spot on- there was a little bit of darkening in the more shadowy areas of the copies, but the colors were so close to identical that I would not have guessed that the copies were indeed copies.

Text printing quality is very nice as well.

You can also print from pretty much anything that can be connected via USB. That's one built in feature I sort of like on the HP- the memory card slots are built in. With the Canon I have a card reader dangling off the front so I can print shots from SD, Compact Flash, and Sony MemorySticks. Not the end of the world, but I will be adding a dedicated card reader just for the Canon, otherwise I can see epic hunts for the misplaced card reader in my future.

The one major thing that I did not like about the Canon was the wireless hook up. I followed the directions closely and it still took me 4 installs and over an hour of monkeying around to install the printer and have it actually communicate with my MacBook (running snow leopard). I installed the drivers on our other computer (a networked MacMini running both OSX and Windows XP) this morning and with a couple of clicks it was up and running... I think the use of the word "Register" in the easy install threw me- I thought it wanted me to REGISTER my new machine with Canon but really it was the needed step to bring the printer -computer connection to full functionality. I am pretty used to working with my mac, though I haven't installed a printer in 2 years until yesterday, but I would not want to troubleshoot the Canon over the phone for my parents, who are not so computer savvy. That isn't to say that my HP was easy to set up, it was a nuisance as well, but I found it a bit more intuitive...

The Canon software and the scanning to a networked computer are leaps and bounds above the HP which is a moody beast and sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. The Canon software is easy to use and very efficient.

Anyway...

Pros:
Nice print quality
Document feeder is nice and smooth
Software is nice for automating scanning and setting defaults to boost productivity
It's easy to open the whole thing up in case of a jam. Haven't had a jam yet, but I'm well versed in clearing them, so I figured I'd take a peek.

Cons (when compared to the HP printer):
-Tiny little dot matrix screen is dark and hard to read for this tired eyed gal. I much prefer the vivid color displays that allow more information to be seen at once. This may be a problem for people with low(er) vision
-Lots of scrolling through menus is frustrating.
-only one paper tray, traditional "stand up" paper feeder in the back of the printer means that the height + width footprint of this machine when in use is another 6" or so over the listed dimensions, with a bit more clearance needed to fill the paper feeder. The HP has a flat and mostly covered paper tray, with an additional tray for photo paper, which is nice because you don't have to keep swapping papers out of the machine when doing multiple job types... Because of this stand up paper feeder, this Canon wireless printer won't fit as easily onto most shelving units unless the shelves are a good distance apart. Whereas, the HP with the flat feeder can fit in a closet with plug access- out of site...

Other than those things, I find the machines to be fairly comparable, and price-wise I would probably go for the Canon over the much more expensive HP as the features that make the HP a more advanced machine are what make it a frustrating machine, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest network setup ever. Bloatware free, here's how..., November 5, 2010
For an easy wireless network setup without Bloatware, do this:

1) Remove all the tape and the blank print cartages

2) Install the new cartages (careful to put Black on the right).

3) Plug it in, turn it on and let it settle down.

4) Follow the directions for Windows 7 setup on page 62 of the manual (yes, even if you don't have Windows 7)

5) Follow steps 1-6, but at step 7, select "easy setup".

6) Let it find your network, and select it

7) Enter your network password and you're done with the printer.

8) On your PC, select "Start" and then "Computer" (or use windows exploder) to see the printer on our network by selecting "network" in the left window pane.

9) Select MX340 Series multifunction device, and Win 7 will automatically download the drivers and set it as you default printer and fax.

You're done. (It took me longer to write this review than to set up the printer.)

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I'm in love with this printer!, June 4, 2010
I have a part time job that requires quite a bit of faxing and scanning, and I had an Epson, I hated that thing. So a few weeks ago I was faced with 2 sets of 27 pages (54 pages) that had to be faxed 2 different places and scanned, so I would be standing there faxing 2 sets to 2 different numbers--.....The Epson did not have group faxing, each destination had to be done separately. The ADF, which never worked well (see previous review) was more than I could face that day---it would take hours! So I started looking. I researched, checked other reviews, and finally decided to try this one & bonus (!) it was on sale. This is a great machine! And group fax---1 scan and it will then send to up to 20 numbers. The ADF requires no babysitting, no handfeeding. I'm amazed how quickly I'm done. Not to mention it does make nice pics and copies
The software was easy to load, although some of the programming was,for me, a little difficult. And I'm sure it can do more than I've figured out. However I'm not a techy person, so someone else may not have a problem. A bonus surprise, I have one line, 2 numbers--1 for phone and 1 for fax. I can have the fax on, and it will catch faxes coming in, and calls are not subject to the fax signal. On the Epson if the machine was on, anyone calling was treated to the fax squealing in their ears. Would I recommend this one? Absolutely!

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this thing, November 30, 2010
A. Galt (Green Bay, Wisc. USA) - See all my reviews
I'm astounded that there are positive reviews of this machine. Maybe there are issues of quality control. Maybe those reviewers are less demanding, or still within the first few days of consumer afterglow. Don't be gulled, avoid this machine! Virtually every aspect of it is deeply flawed:

1.) The user interface is bizarre. There is no reset button, no home button. When it gets stuck (which it does), the only solution I have found is to turn the machine off. Time consuming and frustrating!

2.) The fax machine and the wireless capability are spotty. I have successfully set both of these up multiple times, only to see them cease operations after awhile. I've given up on them. I find it more convenient to send faxes from the office store and to use wires.

3.) Worst is the printing. Sometimes it just doesn't want to work. So, I'll send the document to a different computer, and then print it from there. How annoying!

I should say that I have been using computers for well over 25 years. I have never been so challenged by a device. I rue the day that I took this home from the store.