Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$1,299.00+ Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 13, 2013
Where do I begin? The quality of the camcorder, it's a Canon, I don't need to say any more. Video quality, up to 1080p. The amount of memory, 64gbs on board, two external slots for up to 64gbs each, a total of 192gbs. (can be set up so as one fills it instantly switches to the next SDXH card) that's up to more then 72 hours of continuous recording. All the built in features, settings & extras that are available make this camcorder extremely versatile from under water on up. A great investment, I started with a basic kit @ $1,800.00 & so far I am into it for over $2,500.00 with NO regrets. I recommend it to any one that wants to do any kind of high quality videos.
on August 23, 2011
So far so good! This camera was purchased to be used in the work place for small to medium video productions. From following along with the manual and testing different functions I can already tell that this camera was a great choice. It is tiny yet professional looking, and the remote control makes the functionality of the touch screen very simple! Also my main concern was the compatibility with MAC OSX and Final Cut Pro. I plugged the thing in and opened I'movie 11 and it recognized it right away! I then will import the entire folder into FCP once we get into our first production! Knowing that there will be no need to install codecs is a great feeling!
on April 13, 2011
July 15: Canon says they'll send me a price to fix the camera; cust service Michael Logan appears to indicate Canon intends to renege on the warranty; refuses to address the issue and promises me photos of 'corrosion' (in a new camera?), but of course sends nothing. He thinks I'll go away. PA Small Claims Court has an $ 8,000 limit - Canon thinks reneging is an option?

June 29: Update:
Took camera to the dealer where I bought it; dealer confirmed my Canon XA10 to be broken; Canon error, not due to my handling. This is good becuase in the past weeks Canon accused me of improper useage and trying to scam them for a free camera (despite my having registered it when I bought it)

And finally, Canon sent a pre-paid return mailer; perhaps now they're taking my claim seriously?

June 26: Update:
Not only did the camera not hold up (an internal electrical-software issue), but Canon Customer Service is refusing to resolve - or even address - the issues. Just 2 days ago I recieved a call from a Canon service clown who pretended he knew nothing about the issue - except we'd talked to him 30 days ago. Most unsatisfactory and most unprofessional.

Let me urge everyone NOT to buy this camera, if only to save yourselves from having to deal with customer service people who clearly have no interest in keeping customers happy.

================

I'm fortunate to have gotten one end-March; this is simply the most professional-yet-easy to use camcorder on the market.

The controls are placed ergonomically correctly; the Canon 819 battery charges quickly (and after a week of heavy use is still going strong), the zoom enables me to read a license plate at 300 meters, and for taking night shots - the infared is superb.

I'm leaving for Afghanistan next month in order to film a documentary re: Marines in Helmand Province, and I'm confident that the camera will hold up in such an austere environment - will report back when I return end-June, but if it films as good as it practices...I've got a winner on my hands. Thank you Canon!
77 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2012
I shoot and produce TV commercials for local small business, I needed something better in low light and was looking forward to not dealing with tape captures after the shoot.

PROS:
1. Picture is excellent, outdoors in sunlight colors pop like you wouldn't believe.
2. Copy media directly from camera to PC, those who've dealt with tape will appreciate this more.
3. 64GB alone lasted an entire day of shooting in highest quality. Good SD card options as well.
4. Optics are very nice, wide angle is enough to use without having to buy additional lenses, only 10x zoom.
5. Low light and night shots are truly remarkable, much better than I expected.
6. Zebra stripes and waveform are a nice surprise, these are so useful on sunny days where it's hard to see your screen.
7. Nice audio options, custom dial is useful to avoid diving into menu somewhat and other small but thoughtful touches.

CONS:
1. Common functions are buried a few clicks deep in the menus for full manual control, in the field, it's a bit tedious.
2. AVCHD is a chore to edit, even on powerful computers, this should be rethought industry wide.
3. 30FP Malignant frames and 24P both have a lot of judder, can't say if this is exclusively the camera's flaw as it's my first progressive frame.
4. XLR SWITCHES RATTLE BEYOND BELIEF. INEXCUSABLE! Had to use black electrical tape to hush enough to use.
5. Stock Battery is good for only 90min at best, poor decision Canon. (Wasabi will sell you 2 larger batts for $40 w/charger - work great)
* Biggest personal con, my camera arrived with a pretty large piece of white dust INSIDE the camera lens. Plain as day, but things happen.

Overall, it "feels" like a consumer camera that with enough finesse can give you pro results, but it does take just a little effort and awareness of it's shortcomings. Have yet to see anything better for the money as of July 2012. Honestly, if I didn't use it commercially, I'd take a look at the $700 cheaper consumer Vixia, if you're the type that keeps it in AUTO mode, you might want to take a look.
on October 18, 2012
I have a history of doing some professional video, and camera work, back when we used tape :P My last prosumer camera was also a canon but I had been out of high end for a while, and just used a small, cheap memory based camcorder. So anyhow, I got an itch to jump back in to high end, but I didn't want something too big. I wasn't sure such a thing existed. Wow, this is it! Everything I hoped for, everything I expected, and a few extras. Zebra, focus assists, intelligent AntiVibration, full manual, 24P, 2 channel XLR, multi-form factor (removable handle), loupe AND monitor view, what doesn't it have?
I will agree with another review, people who complain about the handle noise are NOT using the camera in a way that it would normally be used, and their complaint indicates they are not really up to the level of this camera. They could have saved a bunch of money and got something cheaper for the way they are trying film. And that is the ONLY complaint I have read, and one I certainly would not make. It would be nice if it had 4:2:2 for green/blue screen work, but at this size, that is also NOT a complaint I would make.
I can't wait for my first full project using it!
on January 14, 2015
It is a wonderful camera, the only regret I have is not buying the XA20 instead for just $500 more, totally would have been worth it. I wasn't aware of how valuable the additional features (like focus ring zoom control) that the XA20 has that the 10 does not. The picture is the same, but it is just a little less customizable and feature savoy.
on December 31, 2011
Hands down the best camcorder I've ever purchased. The quality is amazing! I just did some family video's in the camera's PF24 frame rate, in the FXP recording mode and with a cinema standard filter and I literally had TV quality High Def video.

I use Avid Studio or final cut to edit and export the video. Don't expect to get the max potential from this camera without using a decent video editing software. I export high def video to blu ray using a 1920x1080/60i setting with Dolby Digital 5.1. That's the trick to getting the film like look to your home videos. So shoot in one of the progressive scan frame rates and burn DVD's and Blu-Ray in the standard 60 frame rate. DVD's look best in NTSC (16:9) 720x480/60i.

One last benefit to this camera is the easy video export from the camera to a computer. My previous camera's used fire wire and miniDV. The export process was time consuming, to say the least. With this camera you just plug in the charger and a usb cable to a USB 2.0 (aka USB+) port and transfer the files. It's quick and easy. Then open you editing program and get started.
on November 23, 2013
I did a lot of research and for the money, I'm pleased. I bought this for my son to use and he reported back while the camera is compact, it does an excellent job. He is very pleased with the camera and would recommend it to anyone
on January 18, 2013
I've used much larger camcorders, but for years I told myself I wish someone would produce a compact camcorder about the size of a Canon HV30/40, didn't need a wide Angle lens adapter, had a removable handle so I could take it off when I wanted to go 'rogue', had as good of low light sensitivity as a PD150/170/VX2000, had a better LCD than the HVxx cameras, had a 'real' focus ring, and an attached lens shade, had a FULL-SIZED accessory shoe, and could accept an XLR mic with phantom power. I thought those were pie in the sky dreams. Then Canon release this camcorder. I knew I had to buy it.

All I can say is the video this thing puts out is amazing! It's format is in a class by itself. The fact that it's so small and has a removable handle and lens shade so it 'appears' like a standard consumer video camera opens up a whole world of possibilities for pro (or semi-pro) and family use. A lot of time I will remove the XLR handle and use my Sennheiser MKE400 little mic and get good quality shots (and great audio) not possible with any other camcorder because people aren't freaked out by a more Pro-looking rig. But when I want geat audio, I can adapt the handle with XLR inputs.

This isn't a perfect camcorder. Canon left out one key feature that would have made this camcorder PERFECT, and that is the ability to record 1080P. But, nothing in life is perfect, is it? So ya have to go with the 90% best fit. There are other shortcomings as I'm sure others have pointed out, most of them are non-issues for the average user. Like the handle rattle issue I hear a lot about: Tell me, who in their right mind is going to be shaking this camcorder violently enough to make the buttons rattle while trying to take pro-quality video? If you are looking for more pro features, more buttons on the outside, you should probably step up to a higher level (more $$) camcorder. This fits the niche between low budget pro work, high end consumer video, or institutional/educational video work. Don't get me wrong, it'll shoot pro-quality video though (albiet 4:2:0).

What I like about it is the large array of menu selections, the ease of adjusting the white balance and focus and convertibility. Quite often I break mine down when I know I'm going to be going into an area where a Pro looking camcorder would get me booted out. Pull off the handle, remove the lens shade and I just tell them it's an older, bigger camcorder and I don't get a second look. Some of the other plusses: exceptional battery life, great steady shot, usable viewfinder (not great, but definitely usable), multiple microphone options, really great low light capability, *REAL* cold shoe and a long list of other options. You're not going to get these options on a smaller Worst Buy camcorder, or iPhone, and your video will show it too. I use a Sennheiser ME64/K6 XLR microphone package with mine, or a small MKE400 mic for 'roge' audio, a 96 LED light panel too for certain indoor and evening (dark) shots, and Wasabi batteries.

I could go on and on, but the fact of the matter is, this camcorder gives you all the options and shoots exceptional video. I'm always amazed on the big screen how fantastic and detailed (and the great colors) the video is. I have a larger pro camcorder and I find myself using the XA10 most of the time. I've taken it on numerous overseas journeys, mountain hikes, cave explorations, desert shoots, etc. I don't baby (or beat it) and it's held up great.
on February 19, 2013
Not overly large and not overly small. The 64GB interal memory is the real selling point on this. I also like the ability to tie into a sound system and disconnect the internal mic. I have not come across anything with this camera I woudl give a bad mark for. i woudl recommend this as an excellent choice for novice ot pro use.