5.0 out of 5 stars Canon REBEL XS simply a beautiful experience
I spent several weeks reviewing the REBEL XS vs it's many 10 MP adversaries, I even checked it against the ultra zooms as I wanted the convenience of video as well, but too many good things stood out with this camera and so I decided upon it. I bought the rebel XS and after days of dirt testing this camera I've found it a beautiful experience.
Now I'm a...
Published on November 25, 2008 by Judah Bharath

3.0 out of 5 stars XS 10.1 is okay. Not great.
"I should have spent the extra hundred and gotten the XSi" should have been the actual title to this review. My dissatisfaction revolves around the XS' focusing challenges. The camera itself is great - image quality is good, the sensor works fine -- the uptick in image quality between the smaller sensor on a point n shoot is (to me) very noticeable -- but the XS, with its...
Published on February 12, 2009 by Steven J. Turner

‹ Previous | 1 2 344 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Going from point and shoot to SLR, May 3, 2009
This review is from: Canon Rebel XS DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black) (Camera)
I started of with a $99.00 Kodak Easyshare, quickly outgrew it, then went to Canon S5. How I love my S5, but I outgrew it too.

Of course, the Rebel XS is just the entry level for Canon's SLR cameras, but the difference between it and the advanced P/S cameras is very noticeable. Image quality is much smoother and sharper, especially using a shallow DOF. You can use the maximum ISO setting with little noise or image degradation. The body itself is petite and fits my small little meat hooks (hands) perfectly. No shutter lag. The difference is night and day for those considering the switch. You will be glad you did. I'm sure I will outgrow my baby Rebel too, but I will only have to replace the body.

The cons? The wide neckstrap is chafing. That's minor, of course. The kit lens has maximum aperture of 3.5, and seems soft. Everyone knows that, though. I have ordered a Sigma 17-70 2.8, which was reccommended as a far better everyday lens by an experienced photographer friend. Another con is lens envy: I knew the good glass is expensive, but I wasn't prepared to pay thousands of dollars for those big zooms I covet. Solution? Another photographer suggested I get a decent portrait lens, and rent a zoom. I only want it for a few days per year.

Bottom line, The XS is entry level for amatuers interested in advancing in photography. I'm not getting into technical details, because I'm still a beginner, but I am quite satisfied with my purchase. Others will say to go with a more advanced body, but for me, I'm satisfied. People with small hands will like this camera especially, as it feels right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, November 16, 2008
Well, I have only had this camera for a few days,but I am very happy with it. The price is very reasonable and affordable.This also is my first SLR having owned several point and shoot film and digital. The only "negative" about this camera is the "Live View". I see this as nothing more than a selling point aimed at point and shoot users. You cannot use the live view in full auto setting, you have to be in one of the manual settings. You cannot use the shutter button for auto focus (read the review on dpreviews.com), I don't want to go into a long explaination here. The view finder is very easy to see and use for taking pics so I probably wont be using live view except maybe to compose a tripod shot,take it out of live view and take the shot.The 18-55mm IS kit lens is really a very good lens and I have no complaints about it (well maybe the plastic mount). Focus is fast and the image stabilizer is great.The 18mm is a very good wide angle although the 55mm is not that great a zoom,I have the 28-135mm USM IS on the way and cain't wait to try it out.
As I said I am very pleased with this camera and would recommend it to anyone wanting to make the jump from point and shoot to SLR's.
Update 12/07/2008
After using this camera for a few weeks now I just wanted to add. I LOVE IT. I bought the 28-135 USM IS as a sorta replacement for the kit lens. I shoot mostly in the "P" mode with auto aperture,focus set on AI.
I also shoot quite a bit of low light and I am amazed at the quality of the images (I do set the ISO on 1600 or 800)I intially gave this camera 4 stars only because of the live view which still is (in my opinon) not all that great.So I will now give it 4 1/2 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level DSLR!, December 20, 2009
In March, I decided to get into digital photography and purchase a DSLR. Because most of my friends are Canon users, I didn't have to make the usual decision between brands. The advice I received was to invest money in lenses instead of the camera body. This way, I could continue to use lenses as I advanced and also get higher quality shots with better glass. Also, with the minimum investment, if I could master the basics on the basic DSLR, I could upgrade in the future.

~20,000 shots later I am more than satisfied with the use of the XS. Remember how much you are paying. I also purchased the nifty fifty, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens with the original purchase. Using that lens (along with the kit lens), I was able to learn a lot and develop my skills.

I had the dreaded Err99 problem about 1000 shots in, but within a week, I got my camera fixed from Canon. I've heard others with bad stories dealing with Canon customer service, but mine was perfect. I've now invested in other prime lenses. I may upgrade in the future for specs like better ISO noise management or faster shooting rates, but this camera is more than sufficient.

Regardless of the camera you end up choosing, just shoot (many) photos and learn from them. Learn from others. Learn from photographers all around the world (flickr, etc.) For me, Rebel XS was just the camera to bring me into the world of photography!

(don't forget to purchase UV filters to protect your lenses!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great General Usage DSLR, September 20, 2010
I read a number of reviews on this camera and the overall review was positive, the one thing that made my mind up was that the camera can take almost any type of lens and as such we can purchase different sophisticated lenses to bolt onto this fairly simple body.

I purchased the camera for my wife (who can never be bothered to read boring instruction manuals) just before we left on a 2 week cruise around the Med. To my surprise she was able to take very impressive pictures and more importantly she instinctively used different format selections for the type of picture she was taking.

Obviously there are more capabilities available on the camera, which she said she will take the time to learn

I think this is a perfect camera from someone who is transitioning over from a point and shoot to DSLR.

The one thing that I would wish for would probably be the option to view the subject on the screen before taking the picture, rather than only through the view finder, this is the only reason why I didn't put this as a 5 star rating.

One last thing I should add was the service from Amazon; I got exactly what I wanted when they said it would be delivered with no problems, great service Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome bang for the buck., September 15, 2010
I've now had my Rebel XS for easily over a year. It was my first DSLR, it is still my ONLY DSLR. I got mine with the 18-55MM Kit Lens and later purchased a Sigma 70-300MM Lens. This camera is awesome. Let me get that out of the way. It is a TRULY amazing camera, especially for its low price. It takes AMAZING pictures, even after all this time. I'm also still finding features out (Which is my fault for not reading the manual when I got it) such as the ability to make the built-in flash brighter or dimmer. The camera is incredibly easy to use out of the box. If you're new to DSLRs, you can just switch it to Auto mode and snap away. There is also different scenery modes, Program Mode, Shutter Priority Mode, Aperture Priority Mode, and full Manual (Which is what I use 90% of the time.) The camera feels very solid, and has easily withstood the bumps and bangs that a 17 year old put on it. The lens that comes with camera is still one I use today, it is a great lens (though not the best by any means). The 10MP is more then enough for most needs, though there are times I wish I could enlarge more without losing size/quality. The battery life on this camera is just amazing. I've had this thing for over a year and I've charged it maybe 3-7 times total. Some of my gripes include an ISO that only goes up to 1600, and at anything above 800, is incredibly noisy. That is pretty much my only complaint off the top of my head. This camera is amazing, for the price, cannot be beat. I'd recommend it to anyone.

To see some photos I have taken with it, please visit my Redbubble page at: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the entry-level d-SLR you're looking for., July 16, 2010
My first experience with Canon cameras was several years ago when I was working at a photography studio that had gone digital. I was impressed with them then, and they continue to impress me now. A year or so after leaving the studio, I was in the market to buy my first d-SLR camera. I compared several different brands and models, and I finally settled on the Rebel XS. I hate to use a cliché, but it really is "more bang for your buck". The Rebel XS just has so much more to offer than its similarly-priced Nikon counterpart (the 3000D). Most of the time, you can get this camera bundled with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS SLR Lens, which is a really good starter lens.

If you're looking to go pro, then you'll probably want to buy a more upscale d-SLR (the Canon EOS 400D is a typical model), but if you just want a well-rounded, entry-level d-SLR, the Rebel XS (any camera from the Rebel series, really) is the one you want. This camera gives you the freedom of a d-SLR with the ease of use of a compact ("point-and-shoot"). The camera is highly customizable, and most accessories you buy for this camera will be compatible with other Canon SLR models, as well - in case you ever want to move to a more upscale model in the future. The nice thing is, however, that you don't HAVE to buy accessories. If you have a camera, a lens, and a memory card, then you're good to go. One thing you will need with this camera, as I mentioned, is a memory card. It uses a standard SD Card, but I would recommend a high-speed card (for fast shooting) such as this one: SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 4GB SD Memory Card (SDSDRH-004G-A11, US Retail Package).

Getting started with this camera is very easy; the user's manual is very clear, and the camera itself is not complicated. The camera has a variety of shooting modes which serve everyone from the newbie amateur to the seasoned pro. One nice thing about this camera is its ability to shoot RAW images, which means you can edit your pictures more without sacrificing image quality (an unfortunate drawback of JPG format). If you're used to JPG, however, this camera still saves images in that format.

Compared to many d-SLRs, this camera is lightweight and versatile. It has a built-in flash, but a more powerful flash can still be attached and synched if necessary. If you're using it for portrait photography, it has the ability to shoot tethered (meaning it is connected to a computer/software and its images go directly into the computer instead of to the SD card). It has a lightning-fast startup; just flip the power switch and it's turned on. The battery lasts a long time before needing to be recharged. One of the only drawbacks I've noticed to this camera is that it won't run on AC power without a special adapter (which must be purchased separately), but since the battery lasts a long time (and since additional battery packs for this model are relatively inexpensive), that isn't a large problem (I was taking 200-300 pictures per day and went about three weeks before needing to charge the battery). A huge advantage that I should mention is that the camera's sensor is self-cleaning. This means that there is no complicated process of removing the sensor and cleaning it (although manually cleaning it every so often is a good idea).

I could go on and on with praise for this camera, but no one wants to read a book-length product review. I'm not going to say that this is the "last camera you'll ever need," but it is an excellent model for both snapshots and for shutterbug experimenting. It's also good for semi-pros like myself who just want a good, dependable camera that is relatively inexpensive but takes professional-quality images.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am so glad I chose this entry level DSLR, February 2, 2011
For months I researched entry level DSLRs between 500-650$, and I decided on the rebel XS. I am very glad I did and I absolutely love this camera. All of the good things you have read about this camera are true. The only negative things I can say is that the lens that comes with the kit is mediocre, I would have really liked at least 9 focus points, and I would have really enjoyed some in camera editing features like the entry level Nikon's offer. The picture quality is phenomenal. I played around with my picture quality settings; I added a little more saturation and sharpness. This camera was really easy to learn. I was brand new to the world of DSLRs and now I'm speedy-mcgee and shooting in manual mode (mostly aperture priority mode). I recommend learning about shutter speed, aperture and ISO when you make the switch from point and shoots. Everything good about this camera has already been praised so I will leave it at that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for first time DSLR owner, September 20, 2010
I have owned 3 Canon Powershot Digital Elph cameras over the past 7 years and loved them all. For anyone who thinks they aren't quite ready to spend the money on a DSLR I highly recommend them. However after a lot of research and thinking I finally decided to get a DSLR. I still use my Powershot from time to time as it fits easily in a pocket, however I love my new Canon DSLR. The XS is Canon's lowest end DSLR, but it is much cheaper than the XSi and is exactly what a first time DSLR user needs. I can't say that it is better than a Nikon, etc, but I have heard that they are all comparable. It does take great pictures at plenty high enough resolution to use for a hobby though.

I have now owned the camera for about 2 months. The automatic settings are just as easy to use as a point-and-shoot, so don't worry about not knowing how to use shutter speed, aperture, and ISO to get the exact picture you want. You can take your time to learn how to use the manual settings. So far I have not used the complete manual setting, but I do like to use the Time Priority or the Aperture Priority setting. You set one and it automatically adjusts the other. It will also estimate how over exposed or underexposed the picture you are about to take is with the setting you chose. It takes pictures quickly so you won't miss your shot and you can also set it to take pictures continuously. Some people might say that the build quality is cheap, it is made mostly out of hard plastic, however it feels solid in your hands and is not as heavy as some cameras are. The display is also a good size for viewing pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars In My Opinion, September 11, 2009
The Canon XS has been heralded as the "little brother" of the Canon XSi, and both are considered good entry-level DSLRs. However, the XSi is much pricier than the oft-forgotten XS for such reasons as a couple more megapixels and a larger viewscreen, which is kind of a ridiculous reason to kick up the price two hundred dollars if you ask me.

I purchased my XS a little under a year ago for six hundred dollars, and in the ten months I've owned it, it has proven its value time and time again. It is well-built, sturdy and compact but not excessively heavy, featuring simple controls, most of which can be adjusted while looking through the viewfinder. The image quality is great, though the kit lens is somewhat disappointing - for an extra bang to your photo I recommend the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Often the XS is overlooked in favor of the XSi, but in my opinion the concessions you make for the step down (no spot metering, loss of two AF points, a slightly smaller viewscreen, two fewer megapixels, and the lack of a cool lowercase i) are well worth the drop in price. My XS is serving me well and, I hope, will continue its terrific performance for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, November 29, 2009
I recently purchased the Rebel XS as a Christmas present for my wife and myself, and we both love it. We mostly use the auto modes. We are not advanced photographers. We mostly just take pictures of our baby daughter. But it has done great for that. We love that when you press the shutter button, it take the photo immediately, unlike with point'n'shoots. And when I want to have more manual control, it is easy. For a beginner, it is everything we need and more. Can't comment on more advanced use because we don't know enough to use more advanced features :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 344 | Next ›