4.0 out of 5 stars Works great but incredibly complicated!
Published on May 31, 2012 by Spa Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Great features for the price
Published on November 3, 2011 by Corey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great features for the price, November 3, 2011
Corey (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon imageCLASS MF8080Cw Color Laser Multifunction Printer (5119B001) (Office Product)
This all-in-one is a respectable product. Since I can't really find any other reviews on this model I thought I would be as in depth as possible. I bought it for my home office with two desktops and one laptop computer. I did not have any problems installing the software or setting it up. I downloaded the most updated software directly from Canon's website (which I recommend) rather than installing it from the CD. Setup was easy. Follow the unpacking instructions EXACTLY as it is printed, as there are pieces of tape you might otherwise miss. It is about as large as I expected but not overly cumbersome to move with one person, even though two are recommended. The paper tray is wimpy but holds an amount of paper comparable to an ink jet printer.

This type of Canon all-in-one has an annoying "Adjusting" feature which starts after a seemingly random number of pages printed or copied. During the adjustment you can start jobs but they will not process until the adjustment is complete. About a minute and a half or so. I noticed this in reviews for other similar Canon models. Speed is as expected if you read the specs. Plenty fast but nothing to brag about. The auto sheet feeder works, though everything scanned is slightly cockeyed, but not enough to be a deal breaker for me. Regular computer prints come out straight. The USB port on the front is handy. You can scan directly to a USB flash drive or print from one. The oddity - you can scan TO a PDF, JPEG or TIFF file, directly onto your flash drive. But the only files you can print via flash drive are JPEG files -- no PDF's. (Um, ok???)

Cartridges are expensive just as they are for similar products of any brand. Comes with starter cartridges (less toner than regular ones). I have printed 9 color pages (which came out AWESOME) and even though the color pages were not printed as recently as the b/w, and none were overly heavy on yellow, the yellow cartridge is now reporting low. All of our settings default to B/W printing so I am not sure how after 9 pages this thing could possibly be low.

The Scan-to-PC buttons are helpful. Place your documents, press the button (once set up--easy), start the scan and when you get to your computer, the box will have popped up and be waiting for you to complete the job. I haven't used the fax. Loudness is as expected for a laser printer, not overly quiet but not horribly loud. Energy save comes on after awhile not using the button functions, but it does still print with energy save mode on. The Wi-Fi works great and was easy to set up, I have not used the Ethernet port or USB but assume it would be just as easy.

Overall I am satisfied with this unit. It seems to be as solidly built as other comparable units. The only thing I wish it had was 2-sided scan and print, but for the price I still think it is a good buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Interface software, quality control and overstated toner capacity, February 7, 2012
I have had this printer for a year now. I did not buy it for a primary printer as much as I did for it's all in one capability and a printer capable of printing small paper sizes for check endorsements and deposit slips.

I am not at all impressed with the capacity of the cartridges. First of all, the machine ships with "Starter Cartridges" that only have about 1/2 or 1/3 the capacity of a standard cartridge. Standard color is 1500 pages and B&W is 2300 pages. Starter Cartridges are claimed to have 800 page capacity for color and B&W. Secondly, the starter cartridges do not even have the stated capacity of 800 pages at 5% coverage as they claim (see footnote). After just 240 B&W page prints (as indicated by the counter) The toner low warning is on. In this case I can determine most of what I have printed by just counting the number of checks endorsed and deposit slips printed. The print jobs have 81 & 67 characters respectively. Of the 240 print jobs 182 were checks or deposit slips so the remaining 58 were faxes or the occasional copy job. Assuming that the remaining 58 documents fell into the normal 5 % range, that is only a total of about 72 documents at a 5% coverage rate. Even if the color page print count of 178 is included, (maybe some black is used to print color), that is still well below 800 pages. I have sent emails to Canon and they don't think there is anything wrong with this so I can only conclude their toner capacity is over stated by about 80-90%.

I have the cn model which lacks the wi-fi feature. The first printer they sent me had either software or hardware problems, it would not work with the network. The second printer worked ok with the network but I was not impressed with the computer interface software. Most functions are not controllable from the computer and it is necessary to set function commands, like paper size and which tray to use, at the printer. As another review mentioned, after printing, it does have an annoying readjust mode that takes up to a minute and a half to complete before another print job can be accepted. In general I would give the printer on board software and the accompanying computer interface software a generious D-. As a network printer, due to the number of functions that need to be controlled at the printer I would give it a failing grade.

The copy and fax and scan functions work well and are consistent with what would be expected for machine suitable for a small office. It would be nice though if the faxes could be routed to a computer to save paper and toner. It would also be nice to have a scan resolution greater than 300 DPI.

The only good thing Canon has done right with this printer is to provide excellent access to the paper path. If a paper gets jammed, it is very easy to access any part of the path to facilitate its removal. I have 10 year old HP Laserjet 6P printer that is a great, reliable and inexpensive printer to operate. Unfortunately, once in a great while, in about 1 in ten paper jams, and it almost never jams, it is necessary to dismantle the printer to clear paper from the fuser assembly and takes over an hour.

Foot Note: Canon tech rep stated in an email, 5% coverage is equal to about 14 lines of text. The first 14 lines of this review has 1279 characters. My 181 endorsment and deposit slip documents have a total of 14560 characters. That would equal about 12 documents at 5% using the tech reps coverage statement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great but incredibly complicated!, May 31, 2012
I really wanted a wireless printer. I work from home and I wanted to be able to print from anywhere in the house. Also I have a beautiful glass top desk and my printer sits in a cabinet behind me so every time I wanted to print I had to move my computer to the cabinet, plug in the cable and print. Not that big of a deal, but with the wireless printer, its so much easier!

We researched a lot of printers and my husband decided this was the best one to get taking in account of replacement cartridges and all of the functions the printer has.

The big down side of this printer is its level of complexity. In order to print an envelope I have to call Canon and get help. There was a lot to do just to print an envelope!

However... Canon's tech support is very helpful and so I can recommend this printer knowing you can call tech support for help. There are 2 trays for feeding paper into the machine, so they helped me set the 2nd tray to envelopes default mode, and then if I want to print a brochure, they can help me go back and reset it to print a brochure or something. That is what I am saying, as long as you are willing to call Canon for support, this is a great printer.

The print quality is excellent and this printer really is a rock star in terms of features, you just have to know how to set it, such as you have to set it for the type of paper you're using (paper weight & quality). But again... if you're willing to call for help, like I am, its a great printer. So far I am very happy with it, except that I am a Mac user and apparently there is a glitch with the scanner and they said I have to call Mac because it has to do with my computer. Other than that, I am really happy and both me and my husband can print from anywhere in the entire house, which I love!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, April 12, 2012
On paper, this is a great device with a competitive feature set. However, in production it is highly unstable and problematic.

The biggest problem is consistent WiFi connectivity. We purchased this Canon only to remove a trip hazard in our office. The Ethernet cable running to our perfectly functional and flawless Brother Multi-function printer, was simply in the way. The purchase of Canon was, mostly, for its WiFi capability, but whether 30' from the WAP or 2', the connection is unreliable. (And no, it's not our WiFi. 20+ other WiFi devices have no problem connecting!)

The device also has difficulty with "sleep mode." That is, intermittently, it simply just doesn't wake up. A cold boot/power-cycle corrects this, as well as the WiFi connectivity issue and other interesting problems. However, that is exceedingly aggravating to constantly have to stop, deal with the problems and WASTE TIME!

Additionally, as reviewer "PC" also noted, the bundled software and Canon utilities are poor. Fortunately, the Brother software actually works marginally with the Canon, but as you'll later read, that becomes a moot point as well.

In our case, the fix was simple. We put the Canon back in the box and went back to the Brother. We bought a cheap WiFi repeater (what we should have done in the first place,) and our production is back to normal.

Perhaps Canon has firmware updates or SOMETHING to make this device more stable, by frankly, we don't have the time to hang-on hold for Canon support. It makes more economic sense to simply shelve the thing and use what works. This device doesn't!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money or headache, August 22, 2013
My husband purchased this all-in-one for me as I was looking for a laser printer for basic home use and crafting. The thing constantly gets locked up, goes into sleep mode and says that I am low on toner even after I have replaced the cartridges several times! They are not cheap! This has caused me more frustration than I can explain! UUGH! It locks up when I scan things and I have to keep canceling print jobs and turning the machine off and back on. I would definitely not recommend this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Slow, June 14, 2013
I had brother laser printer that was very quick but I find this Canon to be slow and it does not take too many pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Home Printer, May 26, 2013
Being a photograper I needed a quick proofing printer for layout rather than color quality. I chose this as I am a fan of Canon printers. ( I use a PRO 9000 mark II) for my final output. Being wireless I can print from my phone, tablet, laptop anywhere in my house and it prints pretty quickly and is very cost effective compared to my old inkjet printers.
I read many reviews before buying this printer and to be honest it has put me off reading them. Had I taken notice of most of them I would never have purchased this printer.
It was extremely easy to connect to my wireless network (less than 3 minutes) there were no problems in connecting. I can only think that other reviewers were connecting with antiquated equipment.
GREAT JOB CANON

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow and complicated., July 10, 2013
Chad (Dayton, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I changed my mind.. this thing is a piece of crap. Buggy drivers, always hard to print of copy. I never have problems with technology, a one man shop everything for everything tech related.. just needed a color laser printer and this thing hangs up all of the time!
Skip it.. find a better model.

Original review:
I have owned a BW canon AIO (MF4370DN) for the last 3 years, it has served me very well. Honestly the best printer I've ever owned, so when it was time to upgrade to a AIO color laser, I was definitely looking for another Canon. At the price of the MF8080 I was willing to take a risk, even given the poor reviews of it. I unboxed it, lifted the heavy beast into place.. and plugged in the cables. It was up and running, scanning and printing within 5 minutes. I don't know what the others are complaining about, so far seems like a great price on another fine canon printer.

Will update in a month after I've had more time to work with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect -- but not, May 8, 2013
Mister J "EJ" (Palm Harbor, FL, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this printer just a few weeks ago. I didn't write a review immediately, as I wanted to get comfortable with it before I did write one.

I bought this printer as it was cheeper than comprable HP printers. I'm an HP printer enthusiast for over 20 years. LaserJets and LaserJet all-in-ones have been my choice up until now.

The biggest negative on this multi-function devices is that it does not have distinctive ring recognition on its fax. This means that you either have to have a separate physical fax line, or turn off auto answer and know when a fax call is coming in so you can cause the fax to pick up the call by pressing a button. My previous HP MFP had distinctive wring, so when we got two short rings on the line instead of the regular telephone ring the fax would know to pick up, otherwise it would not answer the phone.

This negative meant I either needed to get another physical line or get a switch to connect between the Cannon 8080Cw and the phone line, that would recognize the distinctive ring. I found a switch for $53.00.

That said, since faxes are quickly becoming a thing of the past, being replaced by scanned and emailed documents, the scanning portion of this device far exceeds the HP methods of scanning.

This device allows you to start a receiving software program on your workstation and scan one document after another at the MF8080Cw, each of which are placed in a dated folder and sequentially number files. There is no need to go back and forth between workstation and machine, document by document. This has sped my work, by either having someone scan while I review the files and categorize, or scan myself and then later review the files.

Some people have wrote reviews saying that they find the scanning difficult. I can understand that, as this is a different method than I've seen before. The method I described above is labeled "computer" on the MF8080Cw scan display. The method most of us are familiar with is labeled "remote", where each scan is requested from the workstation after the document has been loaded and the operator is responsible for controlling the scanning process and saving the file from the workstation. For me, this method, almost exactly as HP does it, takes more time, as there is more back and forth between the scanner and the workstation and a two person team cannot work independently, one scanning while the other is processing the documents.

All and all, taking everything into account, I rate this device four stars, after you read the manuals carefully, or go through some trial and error, getting familiar with the machine. Don't get frustrated, it just takes a few hours and some reading. As techies always say, "RTFM", first!

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy weight Printer, January 7, 2013
It weighs a lot and is slow printing. Can not print directly from the usb port. Very easy to setup, just follow the installation software. Easy network configuration,

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›