4.0 out of 5 stars Good Student Printer - Recommended
This Canon MF3010 Laser Printer is a good choice for students and casual home printing. Here are my observations:

Misc -
* Black and White Laser Printing
* Connects to PC/MAC via USB Cable (not included), no Ethernet or Wi-Fi support

Pros -
+ Easy Setup; installs very quickly and without any issues on my 64-bit Windows 7 laptop
+...
Published on November 5, 2011 by C. Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice until it naps
Great printer, fast, fairly quiet, good looking pages. My only problem is that it sometimes doesn't want to wake up after it goes to sleep. Most of the time it will wake up and print after a warmup period, but every once in a while, it won't and I'll have to have a program print again. Minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.
Published on June 30, 2012 by S. Pauter

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Student Printer - Recommended, November 5, 2011
This review is from: Canon imageCLASS MF3010 Laser Multifunction Printer (5252B001AA) (Office Product)

Misc -

Cons -
- No USB Cable Included
- No Document Feeder; can only scan one page at a time
- No Duplex Printing; single side printing

The quick printing and scanner functionality makes this a good choice for my son to use for his school reports, but lack of networking prevents this from being utilized by the rest of my family. This is a good choice if you don't require color printing or more advance features such as network support or duplexing.

Recommended, with the caveats above.

CFH

4.0 out of 5 stars cute little laser printer, works with Macs but there are no instructions!, March 29, 2012
First I will say that this is a GREAT LOOKING little printer/scanner, I chose it because it is compact and nicely designed, and I thought an inexpensive laser printer would best fit my needs. My printer is mostly idle so inkjets dry out on me, and when I do need to print something it's generally text. Color is a luxury I do not really need.

The print quality on text from this Canon is very, very good; much better than similar priced inkjets.

Setup was very easy, but if you use a Mac, you are on your own.

I will give Mac users a quick rundown on what they need to do:

Just follow the instructions until you get to "Installing the Drivers Software (for Windows)". Mac users are on their own from here on. There is an "e-manual" for windows that I did not bother trying to download.

You need to go to Canon's website and download 2 drivers, one for the printer and one for the scanner. The downloads contain folders called "guide", but they contain the Windows guide.

Install the drivers first, then connect the printer cable (which you already have or remembered to buy), then open a document to print. On the print window you will need to add a printer, the Canon will show on the list if it's plugged in, and choose the model number for 'print using'.

For scanning, if you want a printed copy, place the item on the scanner bed, press the right (green) button on the printer, use the up/down buttons to change number of copies, then the green button again.

To scan to the computer look in your Applications folder. If you installed the scanner driver there will be a new application called "Image Capture". Drag it to your dock if you like. If you click "show details" there are settings here to adjust scan type, file type, etc.

I would have rated this 5 stars if Canon had acknowledged Mac users, it is marketed as being compatible but after that they ignore us.

I don't understand why some reviewers complain about it lacking functions that it does not claim to have, this is a very basic, very inexpensive, very cute laser printer/scanner. Or they complain about paper jams (what kind of paper did you use, what condition was it in, how much did you put in the tray....)

I paid $90 for this printer and am very very pleased with it. Prices on Amazon change daily so keep checking for the best deal.

Update 6/12: I have used the scanner quite a bit now and the quality and ease of use are excellent! Almost worth bumping my rating to 5 stars for the crisp color images I get from scans on this little b/w printer! And I have not yet experienced a jam.

4.0 out of 5 stars I stand corrected! Speedy laser tethereed AIO, October 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With thanks to other reviewers, I now have updated Mac drivers, and speedy laser copy/print/scan with the Canon imageCLASS MF3010, the second laser printer in my home office.

After decades of buying (and hand-filling) inkjet cartridges, I bought my first laser printer during a Cyber Monday sale, a Brother Printer HL2270DW Wireless Monochrome Printer. Over the past year I have come to realize that B&W laser is much more suited to the way I print now that my children are grown - and the Canon imageCLASS is faster and more efficient than the printer I bought.

The imageCLASS MF3010 does not have a document feeder or wireless networking; I've had a document feeder for at least 8 years, and have had wireless networking since I added the Canon PIXMA MX340 Wireless Office All-in-One Printer (4204B019) to my home office last year (full disclosure: also Amazon Vine). Networking seems like a household standard, since we no longer use any desktop computers.

The Canon imageCLASS MF3010 handled the routine printing I sent to it, the specialized Avery forms and labels I put through it, as well as the generic shipping labels with peel-off adhesive backing.

At this price point the printer provides exceptional value, allowing for every function a student, small business, or retiree might need - no more trips to Staples or the copy shop. However, there are significant compromises that are simply a matter of the price point (not Canon's outstanding quality, easy-to-install software, or simple device setup):

Traditional USB connection (cable not included in box)
Windows only install CD (download Mac/Linux from Canon site)
Platen copy and scan (no sheet feed)

Overall, a solid choice best for a desktop computer, more printing than copying.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love this printer!!!!, October 28, 2011
Craig (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I just killed my Epson inkjet by buying non Epson cartridges so I decided to buy a new printer. I was surprised by the low cost of this one. It is black and white only, but we have a separate HP Envy on our home network and just wanted a local printer for our home office computer.

This thing is very fast. It really prints as quickly as a copy machine which is a real plus since I am used to inkjet speed. It doesn't have a large footprint. The controls are a little confusing at first, but I think in the era of touchscreen printers, the simplicity of the printer controls actually make them confusing. Imagine a printer from 1990 and that is what the controls are like. If you want a fast black and white printer that has a small footprint and would work as an adequate photocopier, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect home-office printer!, October 30, 2012
Bouncy (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This printer is, in one word, amazing. It's really small in terms of a laser all-in-one, and it easily fits onto my shelf. This printer is really budget friendly and fits the need for those who need occasional (or even frequent) printing and copying but don't need a full sized printer. In fact, I will call this a great substitute for a home-level all-in-one inkjet!

Pros:
-Tiny footprint. Takes up very little space. I literally places it in my bookshelf and has no problem using it.
-Super fast printing. This printer actually is faster than the HP Laserjet used in my office, especially on the first two pages. It's very efficient for people like me who usually prints less than 3-4 pages. The speed cannot be compared to inkjet printers (a.k.a "home/small office printers") since it's laser.
-Easy operation. In fact, you don't need to read the manual to use the basic features of this machine. Pretty much plug and play. Printing and scanning both work out of the box. Copying is easier: just slip in the original, and press start. That's it, no menus to go through, no options to ponder around. The image comes out crisp and clear.
-Useful features for personal users. Basic copier functions like zooming and darkness are right on the front panel. There are even other helpful tools like page merging and ID copying (front-and-back on one sheet). Great for those occasions when you need copies of your ID or passport for paperwork.
-Toner volume. Although the printer comes with a reduced volume toner, it still can print a whole lot before running out. Moreover, this is one of those printers that does not give you the annoying "low toner" warning, which means it won't bother you with fake warnings nor will it have problems with refilled/compatible cartridges.
-Never dries out. After breaking several inkjet all-in-ones, I feel this printer is the perfect one if you don't print that much altogether. Almost all inkjets are designed cheap for really basic use, but once you open up the cartridge, the liquid ink will start drying out if you don't use it often. Once it jams the nozzle, you'll have to replace the cartridge (sometimes with a nozzle sold separately) - almost half the price of another printer. And you will only know it's jammed when you start printing and get no output. This laser printer totally solves the problem since it uses dry ink; when the print is uneven, all you have to do is take the cart out and shake it, and voila.

Cons: (the details won't hurt that much, though)
-Noise level. I know all printers are noisy when they print, but this one sounds louder than the inkjets and more like a commercial printer. Maybe this is due to its small size, and there's little noise apprehension built in it?
-No duplex. I don't mind not having duplex since I can always manually print double sided. However, this printer makes the whole process painful because the only paper tray acts like the "manual feed" tray in most other printers - it prints on the "top" side that the paper was fed in, and outputs them face down, first one on bottom. This is perfect if you want to staple them right after because they are already in the right order (as oppose to inkjets which mostly stacks paper in reverse order, unless you print in reverse). The printer's driver does not support a "reverse order" option, so unless the software I'm using (no, MS Word depends on the printer driver to do it) supports it natively, I'll have to manually reverse the order of the paper before feeding them back in to do the other side. This was really annoying when I had to print a few copies of a large document.
-Rough paper handling. Most laser printers will cause a little bend in the printed paper, which is fine. However, this printer seems to run on a thin stripe of transport that the printed paper bend as much as a salad bowl. When printing double sided manually, the printed page would be VERY hard to feed back in the tray, since the sides are bending up. Also, it's hard to hole punch a freshly printed document because of the bending; It's just really hard to get it in there.
-Flimsy tray. The paper "holder" is actually only 2 inches wide and really thin when fully extended. If it's placed at a bodily height, I would definitely expect someone to bump into it, get a bruise, and break the holder in half. Luckily I stow mine on the high end of a bookcase, so it shouldn't matter. Plus, you can always remember to tuck it back in after use.

In essence, this printer is good enough for home and personal use. Don't get this if you are, say, a designer or just picture maniac because it doesn't print colors, and the grayscale are not that great if you're printing colors "as is". However, it's more than enough for most people, who use their printer once in a while, and especially students. Most importantly, it won't break the bank - You don't have to keep buying new cartridges each time the old ones dry out, and each one can theoretically print at least a few thousand pages.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice until it naps, June 30, 2012
S. Pauter "chmeeesd" (Spring Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this printer, November 25, 2011
I bought this printer to replace an old Brother laser printer for my home. Setting it up with my Mac was super simple, although getting it set up on my network for wireless printing was not quite so straight forward. However, a video on youtube told me what to do, step by step. I have mainly used the printer for light printing needs, and it has worked great. The only negative is that the paper tray must remain open if there is paper in it, in otherwords, there is no contained paper drawer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast Printer and works with Mac too!, October 30, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This printer is insanely fast! I just printed some pages to test it, and before I could blink, it shot out 10 pages. Talk about instant gratification! Next I made a test copy, it was really fast with that too. I am used to my HP ink jet printer, that is fairly slow by comparison, so I was shocked at how quickly the Canon Laser printed. The quality is good for basic black and white use, not photo quality by any means, but it gets the job done for my basic home print/copy/scan needs fine. It comes with a disc with the Windows driver and software, but I have a Mac so I had to go to the Canon website and download the driver and the scanner software, but that only took a few minutes. Then the printer worked great! If you want to have a fast, black and white printer that is priced right, get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer for price!, June 2, 2012
This printer is being used for a small office. Set up was easy, printer prints very fast and you can get about 1600 copies out of one cartridge compared to an inkjet where you are lucky to get 200 copies for about the same price or even less with the laserjet. I found refurbished cartridges for about $25.00. For a black and white printer this one is a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely satisfied with this printer, July 23, 2012
I hate to admit but I am one of those consumers who spends A LOT of time researching electronic products and their reviews before making a purchase. I bought this printer to replace a Canon Pixma MP series and eventually opted for this black-white laser printer versus another inkjet color printer. My primary motivation was cost-savings and personal experience with certain printer companies.

I use a MacBook Pro and the installation was very easy. (I actually used the instructions posted by another Amazon reviewer to do so (many thanks); had to download the Mac installer files from the Canon website). Right off the bat, the printer was able to print, copy, and scan without any real trouble-shooting.

My wife uses a Lenovo and needed printer access, and that was easy to obtain, as well. I just inserted the installation CD into her labtop, followed the instructions, and was soon able to print, copy, and scan from her machine. Though there is no wireless capability, I use an IO gear printer sharing cable and its software, to permit printer access from each labtop to the Canon MF3010 - no problems, whatsoever.

The printer itself operates fairly fast and its compact size fits nicely into my bookshelf. Though 2-sided printing, wireless capability, and perhaps a little better instruction on use of the printer's multifunction operational face panel would have been appreciated, I have no regrets about this purchase. The price for the LASER Canon printer is very reasonable, and plus, I was not satisfied with HP or Epson as alternative choices. I would highly recommend this for personal home use for Mac's or PC's.