Good points:
--Small, I can easily carry it to and from work
--Acts in stand-alone mode (no drivers required)
--Fast, quiet, duplexes
--"Skip blank page" works fine
--Feeds almost anything. I'm archiving family records now--feeds almost anything up to 100-year-old letters, card stock, stacks of photos.
--TWAIN and ISIS drivers, that the Fujitsu does not have
--Paper path is less angled than an all-in-one ADF's 180 degrees.
--Easy to clear paper jam
--Deskew generally works, but not always. I scan a stack of veiably-sized items, so I often do not use the paper guides. It's pretty gppd about keeping things straight.

Bad points:
--Does not like onionskin paper
--Takes 2 USB ports unless I want to pay $35 for an AC adapter
--Black-and-white (1 bit) mode does not really like anything except crisp black test. Typewritten text, of which I have reams, does not come in well, I scan in grayscale or color. Have not played with the sensitivity
--No output tray
--I'm not at all pleased with the quality of scanned photos, but I suppose that's to be expected. I have an Epson Perfection for that.
--Scanner software will handle only a few variations. Button can be assigned only to one
--Will only scan to 14" long

Have not tried OCR
I like it. I'm glad I bought it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2010
I've been using this scanner for six months and have come past my initial enthusiasm to a more settled satisfaction. The scanner is fast and gives results as good as any scanner I've owned--and I've owned a number over the years. Moreover, it's a classy little instrument--well-built, folds up into a perfect little glossy black box. I leave it on a window ledge in my living room and except for the cords, it doesn't look out of place.

I've found that convenience is the most important factor in my life with scanners. It can be fast, but if it's bulky or ugly and I have to put it away when I'm done with it, then it's inconvenient to use and I get tired of it. My multi-function printer/scanner is fast, but woefully inconvenient. Either it won't work on the network, its driver won't work with my computer, or it's physically distant because I don't want it near the living area of my house. I never use the thing to scan.

I also have a little NeatWorks scanner. It's small and convenient, but slow as molasses in January. I hate waiting on it. And I have a Canon plate-type scanner. It does beautiful scans, but it's slow and though slim, still too large to leave out in the living room.

This scanner's chief charms are its looks, compactness and speed. It's physically fast. It's also fast on the software side. I plug in the scanner, hit the big scan button and the scanner fires up its software utility on the computer, scans the document and asks me where I want it saved. That simple. One button and you're done: from plugging in the scanner to scan on your desktop it's a matter of seconds.

One positive about the scanner I didn't fully appreciate when I ordered it is its ability to do double-sided scans without a second pass through the machine. It incorporates two scan surfaces into its feed allowing a double-sided scan with just one pass through the machine.

The negatives which have become more apparent to me over time are few but significant. Most significant in my mind is the machine's inability to sheet-feed certain types of paper consistently. I use legal pads for handwriting and then scan my notes. The scanner is unable to grab one sheet at a time with this paper. It does better with thinner, flimsier, cheaper paper. Good quality paper causes it to grab three and even four sheets at a time. This is a real frustration.

Less frustrating is the automatic duplexing capability. Sometimes I want only one side of a sheet, but if there's anything at all on the back it gets scanned as well, leaving you with an extra page you must remove from the scan. Since I own the full version of Acrobat I can do this easily, but I'm not sure this would be so easily accomplished for someone possessing just Acrobat Reader.

Finally, when folding the machine up into its little box it's important to close the paper guides first. If you forget, they'll get force-closed by contact with the inside of the box, but I suspect over time such contact could break the guides.
on March 28, 2011
Okay so I use scanners all the time because I am tired of having paper pile up on my desk. I've been using the flatbed that came with my HP Deskjet F4200 (which is a fantastic little printer by the way) and the although the scanner works fine, it is not duplex and does not have a feeder and is slow. But the quality is fine. It does work great for things you can't feed into the P150 such as credit cards, licenses, wrinkled/damaged documents etc.

So here is where the P150 shines and you will need sunglasses.

1. It does receipts seamlessly. The feeder narrows down for even the tiniest gas receipts.
2. It is quick. The paper just runs through without even the slightest of noises or whirring sounds.
3. It makes beautiful scans and very rarely requires adjustments to the settings.
4. OCR is performed automatically. (doesn't get everything but you can run OCR again with other software such as Acrobat pro etc)
5. The scan software is simple, intuitive, fast and just plain excellent.
6. You don't have to click on any software to scan. Just stick the paper in and hit the button and voila, it scans. Then just save and your ready for the next one.
7. I haven't had a jam yet. Seriously. Make sure you install in the included page separator component as it appears some other negative reviewers failed to do so.
8. The thing is tiny, but solid and just very cool. Dust on black is no big deal as some reviewers complain. The thing closes up and is completely protected. The gloss black is fine and quite nice actually. Take care of it, and get a HEPA air filter or something. Give me a break.
9. It doesn't need a power cable! Just plug into standard USB and you are in business. It apparently will go faster with the included 2nd USB power cable but it's already WAY faster than my flatbed. I suppose if you were douing a huge stack of paper you would, but I don't want it to go any faster with the creases and folds in my documents...I'd rather see it go at a nice medium pace.
10. Yes, I tried the NeatReceipts product and save your self. It is a total waste and a real piece of inferior equipment plus it is proprietary and the software is absolutely horrifying.
11. Even if the receipt doesn't feed straight, the software fixes it. What a time saver!!!
12. This is a biggie. It is DUPLEX meaning it scans both sides of documents and if a side is blank it is smart enough to ignore it.
13. I haven't had any problem with Skewing as some have mentioned. Sounds like those people need to get Adobe Acrobat and hit "Optimize". That automatically fixes the document if it fed slightly off. Come on people, this is a SCANNER not a printing press what goes in, is what comes out.

And last but definitely not least, this one is TWAIN COMPLIANT, unlike the similarly featured and pricey, Fujitsu Scan Snap!!! (the Fujitsu Scansnap, has to use it's own special proprietary software to get the scans. And you can't use other software. The Canon P-150 ImageFORMULA however, works with all standard scan software products that have the ability to acquire scans which is most of them these days, such as most image editing software, MS-Word, Adobe Acrobat, and the list goes on)

Hip Hip Hooray for CANON!

-Abe M. Alexander
Realtor, Windsor, CA
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 12, 2010
I had this scanner for a few days and had to have it returned because many of the scanned images were skewed which the deskew option could not correct. The degree of skew translates to one edge of an A4-size scan being about 0.5 cm (0.2 inch) higher than the other, viewed portrait-wise. Canon service explained that this was considered within limits but it wasn't for me.

Where there was skew, it was observed that the document being scanned would roll off the two paper guides in the feeder during the scan process.

Skew was more apparent under the following circumstances:

- scanning full-sized documents e.g. A4 paper,
- scanning thin documents,
- scanning creased documents,
- single sheet scanning.

How does the Canon P-150 compare with its main competitor the Fujitsu S300? I also have some experience with the latter unit. The S300 images don't skew noticeably. It is also slightly cheaper. In most other aspects Canon is superior: faster, lighter, smaller, more streamlined, has Twain/ISIS drivers and requires only one USB cable to operate (Fujitsu requires two USBs, or one USB plus a cable from a separate power adapter). Bottomline: go for Canon if you can tolerate the skew.

Why only two stars? For me scan quality overrides everything else. All other features are secondary.
on December 17, 2010
As a college student, I live in a pretty small space. I also have to move around every year when I change dorm rooms and pack up for the summer. Because of this, and because I just don't like clutter, I've always scanned my notes each semester and then recycled the paper. This used to mean getting through 3 pages a minute on a flatbed scanner, so scanning all my notes at the end of the semester took me 2 or 3 days. In comparison, this little scanner goes at lightening speed. And I don't have to babysit it to make sure each new page gets scanned! Additionally, I can now easily scan whatever I want in just seconds to send to classmates, professors, my parents, and my friends. And it's tiny - maybe a little bigger than a Chipotle burrito - so I can take it to group meetings or anywhere else I may need to go. As I tell everyone I know, using this scanner is my new favorite hobby. It does a wonderful job and is the perfect item for anyone who likes organization.

Now, I gave this item five stars because I love the scanner so much. The software is a little slow and could definitely use some improvements, but it's a side show to the beauty of the scanner. So if you have high expectations of your software, maybe this isn't right for you. For everyone else, I would recommend this scanner without hesitation.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 20, 2010
The Scantini replaces my Canon multifunction photo printer/scanner/fax machine, the MP830, after its scanner head broke recently. For document scanning, this device is superb. It offers high scan quality, duplex scanning (both sides at once), TWAIN driver support (so you can use it with Photoshop, Acrobat, etc.) and is very small. The Canon driver for Mac OS X also offers good options and tweaks. I researched several other document-focused scanners and found this to be the best on paper. I haven't been disappointed.

My scanning setup (for documents) is to scan at 600dpi into Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro for the Mac, which gives you great print scanning with its ClearText feature enabled. I scan all of my financial docs, interesting magazine articles, etc., so it is a mix of glossy magazine pages and matte laser printouts. After scanning, I use Acrobat's "Reduce File Size" option to make the PDFs a manageable size. The Scantini image quality is great, at least the equal of the MP830, and it works very fast.

Part of the speed ability for the Scantini is its duplex support. Some scanners, like the MP830, offer duplex by means of running the document through twice. This takes twice as long as the Scantini, which scans both sides of the page at once, and increases the likelihood of a paper jam.

The Scantini stands apart from some of its smallish, document scanning competitors like the Fujitsu Scansnap by offering TWAIN support with its drivers. This allows you to use the Scantini with programs that support the TWAIN imaging interface, such as Photoshop and Acrobat. Without TWAIN support, you cannot scan directly into Acrobat. I believe you have to use the bundled scanner software to produce the PDF, then import that PDF into Acrobat for any further work. Beyond creating an extra step, this may result in reduced scan quality, since Acrobat is not working directly on the raw scanned image.

A final plus is the small size. The Scantini takes up little space on your desktop and folds up neatly when not in use. It can run off USB power from your laptop and could be taken on a trip, although I wouldn't do so (a bit too big for that and I'd be worried about damaging the scanning head if it was jostled in my bag).

Note that I've found the Scantini works great with anything short of a rigid photo or other document. The scanned item needs to be slightly flexible and not too thick to go through the scanner. A photo could go through fine, although the scan quality would be reduced compared to a flatbed scanner that offers greater dots per inch than the 600dpi of the Scantini. I tried scanning a glossy, rigid football game ticket and got poor results, as the thickness of the ticket caused it to skew as it went through the scanner.

Also, I give it 4 stars for value for the money because it is expensive (my Canon MP830 multifunction device was $300, I believe, and did more tasks than scanning documents), but it is price-competitive with other inferior (as best as I can tell) document scanners and offers better performance at document scanning than a multifunction device would.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 6, 2011
Ok, so I was debating between this one and scan snap s1300. I was not able to find/try scan snap but I can assure you they make good scanner products. Anyways, decided to go for this one instead because it took more pages, loved the fact that you dont need to load drivers, (just plug that puppy into any computer) and you are ready to go; was a bit smaller, more compact(did not have the slant/incline ending that scan snap has) and the fact that it was black. You can use it for PC and Mac as well as Evernote for both PC and Mac. You also have the option to use the drivers that come w/scanner which basically has more options for scanning and other software goodies. The scaner has a small switch that you can choose between using the plug and play or the other option which is the drivers provided on CD. Anyways, the scanner is small, compact and does a pretty good job scanning. no complaints on the speed. The only thing that I'm not really thrilled about is the glossy/shiny finish to it as you can see the some dust settle on the scanner. For instance, looking at your PC monitor, you will see after a few days dust that has settle on the screen right? Now imagine, if it was shiny. This may not be an issue for some people but it was for me. To remedy this nuisance, i purchased the canon bag and as soon as I'm done, I put it away. Issue resolved.
Some people on reviews have talked about using only one usb cable instead of 2 for power. My point on that is that I have not tried whether this is an issue or not. I just plug both usb cables to make sure there are no issues and get the job done. I can't see how anyone can be dissapointed with this scanner. You have to remember: for mobility and on the go use. I use it for bills, contracts for work, tax docs, etc. I don
t have a need to scan pictures. sorry.
hope this helps.
on March 11, 2011
I purchased this scanner to digitize a variety of business and personal papers, and I've been using it heavily for a few weeks. This is my first scanner. It's meeting my needs and I'm generally happy with how the project has gone. I think I'd buy the same scanner again. However, things aren't as smooth as I hoped when I bought it.

Pros:
* The scanner seems fast, especially in the 200-300 dpi range.
* I'm happy with the quality of the scans. Much of what I'm scanning is old and worn and includes detailed images. The scans are clear and easily readable for me.
* The form factor is brilliant; it's easy to store.
* Works with a variety of software courtesy of TWAIN compatibility.

Cons:
* The bundled PaperPort software is just terrible. I've uninstalled it and explored options to replace it (more on this below). Whatever I choose, I'll be spending extra money to replace the inadequate bundled program.
* The scanner double-feeds papers way too often, especially with older papers. In practice this means I have to babysit it while scanning.
* I haven't been able to get the one-touch scanner button to work under Windows 7 (64 bit). This is minor for me.

On the software: My goal is to convert huge piles of disorganized paper information into a file system I can carry with me and search on any computer. My file formats include PDF (what I'm scanning plus some already in digital format), Office and text documents.

I have not found a graceful solution. Scanned files are easy to turn into "searchable PDFs" with programs like Acrobat Standard or Pro, FileCenter or Evernote (but not the bundled PaperPort!). However, Windows can't search within searchable PDFs, and applications that can are either not easily portable (FileCenter) or won't search Office files (Acrobat and Evernote).

Additional considerations:

Scanning from Acrobat produces fuzzy PDFs. I've played with Acrobat's scan settings and tried several options including the program's ClearScan; but the files look better when scanned from Canon's CaptureOnTouch or from FileCenter.

FileCenter's export to RTF or Word is awkward because it loses most formatting, and it also loses its place in the directory system every time. This requires clicking all the way back through the file system to save the converted file where I am.

Evernote limits both total data uploaded each month and maximum file size; and I have concerns about putting my stuff in the cloud.

So my options are:
1) FileCenter: Scan from FileCenter and save "shadow" RTFs (clicking through multiple directories each time and accepting the loss of formatting), so I can search with Windows.
2) Acrobat: Scan from the Canon software to avoid fuzziness. Acrobat can either save text as RTF in "shadow" files OR produce searchable PDFs. If I go with searchable PDFs then I need to use Acrobat to convert my Word files into PDFs so I can search with Acrobat Reader wherever I go.
3) Scan from Evernote and use Evernote to convert all my Word files to PDFs so I can do Evernote searches; or
4) Run two searches every time I need to search the files (not acceptable).

The upshot is that I'm frustrated with the state of the available software. However, I don't know of another scanner that solves these problems better, and this is a great little scanner for home and occasional use. If I had the decision to do over, I'd buy it again.
on January 21, 2010
I bought this scanner for light-duty scanning of letter size sheets and have been highly impressed by it. It looks miniscule but folds out to a fairly impressive size. With just a USB cord plugged in, it'll do 15 b/w pages a minute, and although I haven't tested it, it's supposed to be faster when using the included USB power cord. It does great scans and comes with a TWAIN and ISIS driver disk to enable 3rd party application scanning with the unit. My only complaint is that the Canon driver and software disk comes in DVD format, though it only has about 600mb on it. For older machines without DVD drives, this was a poor decision on Canon's part and one that is not borne out by the amount of data included on the disk. Otherwise, I wholeheartedly recommend this scanner and intend to buy at least two more soon.
on December 28, 2010
This scanner is the best scanner I've ever used. The technology behind it is awesome. The design is very portable, it can scan directly to evernote, and the feeder even tries ti self correct. Even when I do feed the paper wrong it scans it the best it can. It detects and compensates for different size paper and slight tilts in the feed. Only one flaw... It can't do multiple pages. I scan magazine pages and business card and it can't handle a stack of either. You have to go one sheet at a time. This might not be true for regular paper. Despite this I love the scanner it's fricken fast and scans both sides. It's totally made my scanning easier. Even a t one page at a time.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations