Canon mx870 drops wifi connection I am using a Macbook Pro with the latest drivers for the Canon mx870 printer, and I have the printer connected to my wifi network. However, I will have to reset the router every time before I want to start a print job because after a while, the printer "pauses" and refuses to start again when select the option. Any suggestions?
asked by Michael Heenan on October 8, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
votes
I have exactly the same problem now. But for three first months it was working perfectly fine.
E. Morales answered on October 26, 2010

A
votes
I had the same problem as well as having the printing paused in between multiple print jobs. I would need to restart the hardware in order to resume printing successfully. I seemed to resolve the problem after running through the following steps and with a little bit of luck.

a. checking for the latest print drivers
b. checking that the printer having a static ID using the router modem web interface
c. repeat the wireless LAN setup (on the printer)
d. ensuring that the LDR protocol, Bonjour settings under "Other LAN Settings" in "Device Settings" are enabled in the printer
e. repeat the installation of the wireless printer on the iMAC
I. Phua answered on November 7, 2010

A
votes
I'm having the same problem. I've called Canon twice and their tech support is useless. The Canon is replacing a HP all in one printer that never had a wifi connection problem. I also use a Xerox printer with wifi and also never have a problem with that printer.
Amazon Customer answered on December 17, 2010

A
votes
exact same problem here. strangely, changing the channel of the wifi (manually) fixes the problem. that is a workaround but i don't want to work around... any ideas?
M. Souvignier answered on April 14, 2011

A
votes
Hi,

I bought this printer about 1 month ago and it has kept me up many nights since!! I still have not been able to figure out how to keep this thing on the wireless network. I have an Imac and have tried using the install cd that came with it and downloading the software/driver from Canon's website and still no luck. I can add the printer and scanner and then print but, it won't stay on the wireless network meaning every time I want to print something I have to go through the whole setup process on the printer and connect it to the access point every time? If i have to do that I mine as well hook it up via usb, but I bought this printer for the wireless connection. Can you or someone help me get this printer hooked up to where it stays hooked up to the wireless network so I can just click and print instead of having to reconnect manually to the wireless network every single time I want to print something. Please help!!
Jeff Henson answered on May 8, 2011

A
votes
Essentially, this printer really sucks at WiFi; their printer software is obviously flawed. Their customer service is clueless. I have updated software and reset everything routinely. I get it working, and then it drops connectional again. I have another printer running wireless on the same network and connected to the same computers in the house; it NEVER has the same issue EVER. Canon has not got their WiFi crap together.
R. Laudadio answered on December 25, 2011

A
votes
Ditto to all of the above. I bought this device because it had the features I wanted and wireless connectivity. Every time I want to print I either have to reconnect to the wireless access point or move the printer closer to my PC so I can connect the USB cable. I'd just buy a longer cable but haven't gotten around to it. I'm afraid if I go look for a cable I'll end up buying a different printer.
C. Cherry answered on January 30, 2012

A
votes
Hi everybody, it took me a while but now seem to have found the solution to my problem. Especially in 'wifi rich environments' like appartment buildings or business areas the various networks use channels that are overlapping/very close to each other. This is not a printer but a router setting. If there is more than one network in your area, download any of the free wifi channel mapping tools and find the channel most 'distant' to other channels and assign it to your wifi router. That way, the connection between printer and network will not get lost anymore. At least worked for me for several weeks now. Hope it helps!
M. Souvignier answered on January 30, 2012

A
[Deleted by the author on Feb 26, 2013 5:22:34 PM PST]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›