Canon S100 release date? does anyone know when the S100 ships?
asked by Seth P. on September 15, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 11-20 of 227 answers
A
Hey, when this is all over, and we've all got our cameras, we should keep this thing going as the Canon S100 Discussion Group!
F. Leonard answered on October 18, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
@Jong-Bong - Sure hope that doesn't mean production problems.
F. Leonard answered on October 13, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It has been released! I saw it at a local Best Buy.
cameraman2000 answered on October 16, 2011

A
Even though my special-ordered S100 is coming into my local BB store tomorrow (they say, so I hope), I've kept my name on a "notify me when available" Amazon list and they just sent an email Today saying it's now available. However, when I put it into my cart (pretending to order it to see what it would say), it still says "available for preorder" and doesn't provide a shipping date! Amazon is clearly not showing up as the vendor of choice for this camera....
John Tappon answered on October 25, 2011

A
I managed to find one at a local Best Buy, just in time for a trip to Washington, DC next month! I'm happy with the camera, though it isn't magical.

To get back on topic, I haven't read through this whole lengthy thread, but it is possible that the flooding in Thailand is causing problems. Note this article in the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204644504576652353926779820.html

The key line is this:

In the latest disruptions, Japanese digital-camera maker Canon Inc. revised downward its full-year outlook due to concerns about the impact of flooding in Thailand Although Canon doesn't run its own camera plants here, its inability to secure supplies of key parts from flood-struck local companies is hampering its camera business. Despite ongoing efforts to broaden its range of suppliers, the company said it will inevitably suffer some negative impact toward the year-end shopping season.

(end quote)

I can conceive of them having enough parts in the chain to make a modest number of S100s, and apparently Best Buy got dibs due to the massive amount of Canon stuff they sell. All this is just speculation on my part, but the WSJ article is provocative.
M. Broderick answered on October 29, 2011

A
Got mine at BestBuy in College Station, TX today. 10% off coupon worked. Now I just need a spare battery and extra memory cards.
The S100 is a bit bigger than I expected. It won't fit in the case I use for my old Canon Powershot S1100 IS.
Math Geek answered on October 19, 2011

A
I'm curious about cases too, Math Geek. Does anyone know if the cases made for the s90/95 fit the s100? The issue seems to be that the s series cameras need a small cut-out for the O-ring to slide into.

Also a report about the s100 battery life. As soon as I got my yesterday, I charged the battery, which took right at 2 hrs. Battery went in at 12:30pm and I immediately turned on the GPS AND GPS logging. Throughout the day I turned on the camera and took a few pictures, and turned it off. I'm happy to report that it was still at 2 bars (out of 3) battery life when I went to bed. However, I forgot to turn off the logging function, and the battery was dead when I woke up in the morning. So if you do use the GPS logging, you will NOT get 24 hrs out of the battery; but given that some people speculated you might not even get 2 hrs out of it with logging on, I'd say the 12-18 I did get aren't so bad.

Please not that GPS logging is different than GPS tagging. GPS logging keeps the GPS going even when the camera is off, which is why it eats the battery so quickly. You should get more "normal" battery life if you keep the GPS set to only connect when the camera is on for picture tagging.
Michael Rodgers answered on October 19, 2011

A
I am a Photoshop and Lightroom user. It turns out that neither support the Canon S100 RAW format and it will be about 2-3 months before Adobe releases a new version of their RAW processor. For now, your only option if you want to process the RAW image is to use Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) version 3.11. And, BTW, there is no manual for in on the CD or available at Canon, I called. You can find older manuals by looking at some of the big brother SLR support pages, I found a 3.09 manual in the 7D support page.

For now, you can use DPP to make a .TIFF file or call Photoshop from DPP which will provide Photoshop with a .TIFF file. For now I'm going to generate RAW and .jpg files. Import them with the Canon tools, use Lightroom to extract the .jpg's and make .TIFF files for the really good images. Good thing I bought two 16 GIG cards.
Bismark answered on October 19, 2011

A
S100 is just perfect!! the only thing you might not like is the feel of body. it's not silky.... it's more like you are handling AK-47 rather than G-36 ......
gallup answered on October 21, 2011

A
A poster on another board said he got notification his Amazon order is supposed to ship tomorrow.
Joanne answered on October 31, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   23   Next ›

See all questions about this product