5.0 out of 5 stars Return of unused product
Published 7 months ago by Carl Franklin, JD, PhD

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst warranty service I have ever had
Published 15 months ago by George

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst warranty service I have ever had, July 2, 2013
Sent my laptop in for keyboard replacement and they replaced the hard drive and monitor also. When they replaced the hard drive they deleted the original factory restore and loaded a generic windows OS. This OS didn't have all the functionality that the factory one had and going to the factory website wouldn't allow me to download the drivers I needed. Reply was that the software could only be installed on an Asus computer. The software they installed obviously wasn't set for an Asus. Now I have to reinstall the Product key for Windows every time I update the computer and will need to spend extra money to get the factory install disks from Asus. Other people may have better experiences with this product but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

3.0 out of 5 stars canopy 3-year laptop protection plan, November 19, 2012
I purchased the protection plan for my daughters new macbook pro laptop. When ordering her laptop on-line it did not state the accidental protection plan would not apply to her new laptop. The amazon.com allowed us to order it, which it should not have. We have spoken with the company it was purchased from as my daughter was having issues with her laptop, they stated they would try to work with us, as best as possible. It was just very disapointing to find out this should have never happened from the beginning. It is now too late to purchased the correct protection plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return of unused product, March 1, 2014
I purchased this warranty with spills and drop protection to cover a $1100 laptop. I know some folks will tell you that these are foolish add-on buys that you rarely need, and the may be right for many consumers. In my case, though, I know the usage I'll give a laptop like this. I'm a professor that teaches both online and on campus. My laptop is a MUST HAVE item, so if it breaks I really can't afford to buy another one so soon after initial purchase. Having the warranty/extra coverage is well worth the price. In the last two years alone IVE used one of these warranties for three items out of the 8 - 9 new products I have purchased. Total savings was the value of the insurance ($275) vs the value of new items if I had to replaced the dropped or defective ones ($3650).

So you can easily see that in my case, I came out well ahead because of the insurance. Of Course, I think you have to use good business sense when considering this type of purchase, here's my short list of considerations:

1. What is the item cost as a ratio to the insurance cost. I generally don't buy anything at less than a 5:1 ratio of value to insurance cost, As an example, a $9 personal labeller with a $4.50 insurance coverage simply isn't worth it. On the other hand, a $1250 laptop with a $75 replacement warranty is worth it, usually.

2. What type of use will the product get (i.e., how tough will you be on it.) In my case, I would be using the laptop in the field a lot when I teach our class on forensic taphonomy -- digging up dead bodies for criminal or civil litigation purposes. A year ago I replaced a nice DLSR by buying a Nikon D90 with extra long telephoto (600mm ) lens that we use in our criminal surveillance and intelligence class. Both of these items get heavy use often under less than ideal conditions. So you can see the use and cost question will help make the decision.

3. Finally, consider your budget for replacement along with the question of what will you do if it breaks and you can't afford to replace the item. Sometimes insurance is really just purchased piece of mind.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless Service, April 3, 2014
Purchased Canopy with a laptop two years ago. A couple weeks ago, the laptop was dropped, screen was non-functional. Called Canopy, expecting complications to arise (as happens so often in this day and age). The service was excellent. They sent the packaging materials, I sent them the computer, and only a few days later, it was returned. Was stunned at the efficiency. If you buy a laptop from Amazon, this service is highly recommended. I wish all customer service was this exceptional!

1.0 out of 5 stars Saddened, April 6, 2014
Saddened is an understatement, so is disappointed. Probably because of the low quality of the laptop but also th lack of vigilance and excellence of their repair service. Purchased the laptop, dropped it, sound not coming out of speakers but only out of earphones. They fixed it. The sound is coming out of the speakers but not out of the headphones. Sent it again, they fixed (replaced broken parts) it and now the battery is not charging - the battery was returned at 28%.Now it is dead.

If you are CONTEMPLATING on getting this insurance, stop thinking and get the manufacturer's accidental protection plan or bestbuy's. They rip you off but you get it back when you mess up your device. I deeply regret purchasing this product. They are legit but they are not one of the best.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you live in the real world you're probabaly prefer SquareTrade, July 27, 2014
I have had nothing but great experiences working with SquareTrade. Having insured nearly a dozen items ranging in price from $150 cameras to $1000 laptops, and only required replacement of one of them, SquareTrade has profited handsomely from me and they deserve it.

I purchased a Canopy protection once and I'm not planning to ever do that again. Why? Very simple.

SquareTrade replaces your broken product in 1 to 3 days.

Canopy asks you to ship the item to them and they will take 7 to 10 to attempt fixing it. If they can't, they'll reimburse you the original purchase price.

If you want to protect business equipment that are critical to your business and can't afford to be without for any extended period of time, Canopy is not for you.

Thinking further. I can go to a local computer repair place, and get my laptop turned around in 1 to 3 days. I'd rather pay more fo than wait 7 to 10 days for the repair, not to mention dealing with the hassle of shipping.

So think this though before you buy Canopy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Had the wrong plan - great service to change it, January 13, 2014
Funky Rascal (San Francisco Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canopy 3-Year Laptop Computer Accidental Protection Plan ($1250-$1500) (Personal Computers)
I recently bought a used laptop on Amazon and a Canopy Plan to protect it. A week after the purchase, I realized that I had the wrong plan. I called Canopy and they allowed me to cancel the existing plan and purchase a different one. They knew their products and were nice about the whole thing. I realize that that this review doesn't address their repair service but I thought it was a positive sign for how the company conducts business.

And YES, I'm a real customer: I don't have any association with Amazon or Canopy!

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a good product, but unfortunately for me i could not ..., July 18, 2014
It is a good product, but unfortunately for me i could not use it as it was geared towards the USA domestic market, so it did not benefit me as an international customer. I had to get a refund of monies which was prompt.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cat Kicked the Laptop off the Table, September 17, 2014
JK8 (Salem, NJ) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought the Canopy Laptop protection plan never expecting to use it. I have never broken a laptop in the past as I was always careful with my equipment. I took pains to guard the safety of my laptop. However, I was working with my laptop on the dining room table and along came one of my big clumsy housecats, who kicked it onto the floor. The upshot of this was that the USB drives on the laptop stopped working. I searched my bought products looking for the Canopy protection plan and quickly registered the device. Then I emailed the company and told them what the matter was. At first they balked. They wanted to know more information on the model number of the laptop. It's just a fairly common Toshiba Satellite laptop size 16 inches. But I needed it to work soon. I have to travel with it. Well, after a week or so Canopy mailed me a box with instructions to fit my laptop securely into the box and mail it to them. They didn't ask any questions about whose fault the error was. They said here's the box, mail it to us. I did, and they emailed me when they received the laptop in the mail. The next day, they emailed me saying the problem had been fixed, and that it was on its way back to me. There was no issue with lost data or anything. They didn't lose any data. I received the laptop back in working condition. I am very glad I bought the Canopy protection plan. That cat better stay out of my way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Followup on my original post -- things did get better., March 22, 2014
After a while (about 1/7 for a Christmas purchase), they did respond, and did promptly send out the information necessary for registration.
Possibly this was a holiday rush volume issue.
Anyway, it is successfully registered at this point. (and the laptop is still working!)
They say there is no "need" to register, on their site, if you keep the emails and receipts.
But you can do it, and it provides a place to store receipts etc.
rather like Square Trade does. Site is not quite as user friendly, however.
Hopefully, no more problems.
We'll keep you posted, if this plan has to be put to use.