5.0 out of 5 stars Return of unused product

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst warranty service I have ever had
Published 9 months ago by George

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst warranty service I have ever had, July 2, 2013
Sent my laptop in for keyboard replacement and they replaced the hard drive and monitor also. When they replaced the hard drive they deleted the original factory restore and loaded a generic windows OS. This OS didn't have all the functionality that the factory one had and going to the factory website wouldn't allow me to download the drivers I needed. Reply was that the software could only be installed on an Asus computer. The software they installed obviously wasn't set for an Asus. Now I have to reinstall the Product key for Windows every time I update the computer and will need to spend extra money to get the factory install disks from Asus. Other people may have better experiences with this product but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

3.0 out of 5 stars canopy 3-year laptop protection plan, November 19, 2012
I purchased the protection plan for my daughters new macbook pro laptop. When ordering her laptop on-line it did not state the accidental protection plan would not apply to her new laptop. The amazon.com allowed us to order it, which it should not have. We have spoken with the company it was purchased from as my daughter was having issues with her laptop, they stated they would try to work with us, as best as possible. It was just very disapointing to find out this should have never happened from the beginning. It is now too late to purchased the correct protection plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return of unused product, March 1, 2014
I purchased this warranty with spills and drop protection to cover a $1100 laptop. I know some folks will tell you that these are foolish add-on buys that you rarely need, and the may be right for many consumers. In my case, though, I know the usage I'll give a laptop like this. I'm a professor that teaches both online and on campus. My laptop is a MUST HAVE item, so if it breaks I really can't afford to buy another one so soon after initial purchase. Having the warranty/extra coverage is well worth the price. In the last two years alone IVE used one of these warranties for three items out of the 8 - 9 new products I have purchased. Total savings was the value of the insurance ($275) vs the value of new items if I had to replaced the dropped or defective ones ($3650).

So you can easily see that in my case, I came out well ahead because of the insurance. Of Course, I think you have to use good business sense when considering this type of purchase, here's my short list of considerations:

1. What is the item cost as a ratio to the insurance cost. I generally don't buy anything at less than a 5:1 ratio of value to insurance cost, As an example, a $9 personal labeller with a $4.50 insurance coverage simply isn't worth it. On the other hand, a $1250 laptop with a $75 replacement warranty is worth it, usually.

2. What type of use will the product get (i.e., how tough will you be on it.) In my case, I would be using the laptop in the field a lot when I teach our class on forensic taphonomy -- digging up dead bodies for criminal or civil litigation purposes. A year ago I replaced a nice DLSR by buying a Nikon D90 with extra long telephoto (600mm ) lens that we use in our criminal surveillance and intelligence class. Both of these items get heavy use often under less than ideal conditions. So you can see the use and cost question will help make the decision.

3. Finally, consider your budget for replacement along with the question of what will you do if it breaks and you can't afford to replace the item. Sometimes insurance is really just purchased piece of mind.

Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Had the wrong plan - great service to change it, January 13, 2014
Funky Rascal (San Francisco Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canopy 3-Year Laptop Computer Accidental Protection Plan ($1250-$1500) (Personal Computers)
I recently bought a used laptop on Amazon and a Canopy Plan to protect it. A week after the purchase, I realized that I had the wrong plan. I called Canopy and they allowed me to cancel the existing plan and purchase a different one. They knew their products and were nice about the whole thing. I realize that that this review doesn't address their repair service but I thought it was a positive sign for how the company conducts business.

And YES, I'm a real customer: I don't have any association with Amazon or Canopy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Saddened, April 6, 2014
Saddened is an understatement, so is disappointed. Probably because of the low quality of the laptop but also th lack of vigilance and excellence of their repair service. Purchased the laptop, dropped it, sound not coming out of speakers but only out of earphones. They fixed it. The sound is coming out of the speakers but not out of the headphones. Sent it again, they fixed (replaced broken parts) it and now the battery is not charging - the battery was returned at 28%.Now it is dead.

If you are CONTEMPLATING on getting this insurance, stop thinking and get the manufacturer's accidental protection plan or bestbuy's. They rip you off but you get it back when you mess up your device. I deeply regret purchasing this product. They are legit but they are not one of the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless Service, April 3, 2014
Purchased Canopy with a laptop two years ago. A couple weeks ago, the laptop was dropped, screen was non-functional. Called Canopy, expecting complications to arise (as happens so often in this day and age). The service was excellent. They sent the packaging materials, I sent them the computer, and only a few days later, it was returned. Was stunned at the efficiency. If you buy a laptop from Amazon, this service is highly recommended. I wish all customer service was this exceptional!

5.0 out of 5 stars product eval, February 28, 2014
the 3 year warranty id excellent for the laptop. I would recommend for any one to receive...it is worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Followup on my original post -- things did get better., March 22, 2014
After a while (about 1/7 for a Christmas purchase), they did respond, and did promptly send out the information necessary for registration.
Possibly this was a holiday rush volume issue.
Anyway, it is successfully registered at this point. (and the laptop is still working!)
They say there is no "need" to register, on their site, if you keep the emails and receipts.
But you can do it, and it provides a place to store receipts etc.
rather like Square Trade does. Site is not quite as user friendly, however.
Hopefully, no more problems.
We'll keep you posted, if this plan has to be put to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to gift to another person, January 29, 2014
C. Kaul (MI United States) - See all my reviews
I bought a new laptop for my nephew along with this protection plan. I called the company and it was easy to transfer the policy over to my nephew.

Part of the T+C states that service is not supported outside the US. Even if the laptop is damaged while overseas, it is still covered by the policy. Although you have to send the laptop back to the US to have it repaired. I suspect that will be a headache but ... Let's hope we never have to use the protection plan.

1.0 out of 5 stars i once bought a fake warranty..., November 13, 2012
A company shady enough to make several of it's own reviews, which are clearly all false and/or biased, is not a company that I would send a dime to.

I didn't like squaretrade to begin with and would have bought canopy even with 0-3 stars but not after reading all of their clearly fake reviews even the ones marked "Amazon Verified Purchase".

And I've been burned by con-artists posing as warranty sales-men in the past. Just caveat emptor...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›