Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Chad Valley All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Videos Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 89 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 14, 2012 5:51:20 PM PST

I recently got the same notice in my POB RE "Street Addressing for your PO Box" that BlahBlahBlah above did. I immediately asked an employee about it and all she knew was that she was going to be trained about something tommorrow (1/14/12) and she was guessing it was about this. Google searching has revealed the following from a USPS document:

"Customers will be able to use the post office address where the PO Box is
located and receive package delivery from third party delivery services and couriers."

It looks like this new service will not be offered everywhere, it may not be free after 6 months, and you have to sign up for it. I am still looking for the format.

How you like them apples?

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 1:36:50 PM PST
Lucubration says:
It would be nice if Amazon could at least explain how the system works. I ordered a software package and some inkjet cartridges, and they refused to ship to my PO box. Why? Who knows? I couldn't find out which item was the problem. They sent it via USPS anyway, to my street address, and when I spoke to the mail carrier, he thought there was no reason they couldn't deliver those items to a PO box. Other items I've ordered Amazon *will* deliver to my PO box. Why? Who knows?

Another thing -- there's a relatively new system under which Fedex and UPS *can* deliver to PO boxes in some circumstances. That's a good thing, mostly, but now there are substantial gaps in the tracking information (more than 24 hours, sometimes) and I can't even tell from Amazon's original order forms whether it will ultimately be delivered by the initial shipper or be transferred to some other shipper.

Why can't Amazon figure out the systems they use and explain to us how it works? All they offer is vagueness.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 11:24:58 AM PDT
Katybug says:
I'm a regular Amazon customer getting a po box & will no longer receive ANY mail at my physical street address. I'll have UPS & FedEx parcels sent to an approved delivery/pu station. I don't understand why Amazon won't send all USPS parcels to my po box. If not, Amazon needs to give me multiple shipping options - including "Subscribe & Save"; as well as, shipments that qualify for "Free Shipping".

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 11:48:17 AM PDT
dlom says:
My concerns have just vanished regarding amazon not using a PO box: as of this year you can use the physical address of the Post Office followed by the number of your box and you are good to go. I even signed a form that allows them to sign for any packages that arrive from fed ex ups etc.....

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:33:45 AM PDT
Gordon Arch says:
This is not just a problem with Amazon and other Etailers, but even with things like I can not open an account since they have to have a physical address for the account, and will not accept the PO BOX. Nor will they accept the physical address since their system uses the USPS address database. So if the postal service does not deliver to your physical address you do not exist in this database. Here's who else I have found uses this database:
US Congress
US Senate
THE White House.
Found the last three when I tried to send email and make an appointment to see my Congressman about this very issue. The best we can hope for is a new law that requires the Post Office to attach our physical address to the "forced PO BOX" so in places that does not have home mail delivery we still show up in the database, and then the office cna make sure packages mailed to the physical address go into the box.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 11:09:55 AM PDT
Beelissa says:
I find it frustrating to think that the only solution to this is a new law. Ridiculous!

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:00:03 PM PDT
Our Post Office has recently started to deliver to our street, but because we spend part of the year away from this address, we are reluctant to give up our PO Box.

The problem is that Amazon etc. automatically assume a PO Box delivery is probably fraudulent and that cutting off deliveries to a PO Box is an easy fix.

This is strange because (1) Amazon used to deliver to my PO Box before they decided PO Boxes were a problem and (2) I have to show my Post office my ID and give them my street address each time I renew my PO Box. I am also very happy to give my physical address whenever it is appropriate.

The problem is Amazon and the other organizations that refuse to deliver to a PO Box. Keep writing and complaining!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:08:38 PM PDT
Beelissa says:
The problem is, no one at Amazon who is in a position to make changes to these policies has a PO Box or knows anyone who does. I've written and written. I've had my PO Box for almost 20 years now -- I would bet I've had it as long as Amazon has been in business. But they DON'T CARE. What we need is an inside person. Someone who has a PO Box who knows someone who works in Amazon in a position to have some influence. It's never going to get fixed unless that happens, or as the previous poster suggested, unless they make a law to force them to do it.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 10:48:12 AM PST
L. Sargent says:
Maybe we should write our Congress critters and suggest that all carriers (UPS and FedEx) must be able to deliver to a PO Box.

We shouldn't be segregated as 2nd class citizens because our only option is a Post Office Box.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:25:27 PM PST
Dave says:
My postmaster (small post office) suggested using the street address of the Post office for shipping. My name but no PO Box. If package is not USPS, Fedex and UPS will deliver to the street address. But this may be up to the individual postmaster.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:52:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 1:53:59 PM PST
Joshua Flake says:
A lot of post offices will offer a physical address service to their PO Box holders, so if you are trying to receive a parcel via UPS or FedEx, ask your local postmaster if this is an option for you. If so, you can just provide Amazon with the post office's physical address and your box number, and the postmaster will sign for your packages and deliver them normally. In my area, it's a free service.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:58:46 PM PST
I just bought a camera which couldn't be sent to my PO Box according to the Amazon checkout system. However I entered the address of the post office and then my PO Box in the following line. My camera arrived last week without any delay.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2013 8:46:55 AM PDT
Bob R. says:
I've had this problem many times in a slightly different form. I have a P.O. Box and a real address. The catch is that the real address can't get USPS mail. So, I call Amazon and say, "how will you be shipping that -- the address I give you depends on how you'll be shipping." Amazon replies with a vague, and deceptive, statement about using a service appropriate to the address. It's BS because they have no way of knowing that the RV park I'm staying at doesn't allow USPS deliveries.

If I give my physical address and they ship USPS, I don't get the package, so I give the P.O. box address. This means that about half the time I get to the final point in my order and even though I have Amazon Prime am told, "we can't do two-day shipping to your P.O. Box."

Amazon: The solution for so many of us is simple, just give us shipping options (with prices) like everyone else does. Let us select the shipper and price the shipping accordingly.

Every other online retailer I deal with gives me both information about how the package will be sent and the option to choose another delivery service. Why can't Amazon do the same thing?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2014 2:55:26 PM PST
B says:
Reason being is that Amazon uses UPS or FedEx and they don't deliver to PO Boxes, they are competitors.

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 6:38:18 PM PST
Dave says:
Someone mentioned this already but now I use the street address of my PO and everything goes there USPS, UPS, and FedEx. I don't know if all POs do this but mine even put a sign up advertising this. This is even better then home delivery - nothing ever gets left outside!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2014 10:18:33 AM PDT
Annie Horne says:
Recently I had applied for a secured credit card and it's like well luckily I live in a small town and the post office will stick it in my PO. If I did have a box on my street I sure wouldn't want my credit card going there regardless! But if my accountant writes out my street address I get a nasty rubber stamp saying "use PO Box" I think the post office notices the difference between corporations and small businesses sending mail. What irks me is some places that sell items on amazon will offer free shipping but charge you if you list your PO Box as well- whatever it ships the same way regardless and you get your mail the same place either way- at the post office! Because I once ordered from a company not realizing it cost me shipping to put on my PO and like a week later I ordered more and just didn't use the PO and it shipped exactly the same carrier both times!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2014 10:22:48 AM PDT
Annie Horne says:
Our UPS truck stops and delivers mail to the post office. And I sometimes find something shipped UPS in my PO box- well in a PO box where they put a key in my box to open it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2015 6:28:50 PM PST
IlDavo says:
Ditto Christopher G. Moog, below:
My home PO Box and Physical address are within the boundaries of 2 different post offices.
If USPS did deliver mail to my physical address (they do NOT), I'd have to address packages to my physical zip code.
Instead, I must address packages to my PO Box zip code -- which is different from the zip code for my physical address.
Therefore, if a package arrives at the post office that would serve my physical address, no fakey-PO-box-mumbo-jumbo snuck into the address will mean anything to them.

I've tried every comparable trick, to no avail. The only fix is for Amazon to willingly ship everything they sell to a PO box. It's fine with me if Amazon want to include a provisio that any packages rejected by my post office as unsuitable for PO box delivery will be returned to Amazon at my expense.

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 6:47:48 AM PST
Katybug says:
Some USPS locations offer three "PO Box Services". One, "Street Addressing" allows the boxholder to use the Post Office physical address listing their PO Box number as "Unit" or "#". ALL carrier packages are accepted - up to 70lbs. Two, "Real Mail Notification", via Email or Text, notifies the boxholder delivery of a letter or flat envelope. Three, the boxholder can put their "Signature on File" so that signature-required mail will be accepted and placed in PO Box or Parcel Locker.

My post office does not perform these services. So, near my home, I found a Post Office that does and rented a box at that site. I have received several packages without issue. The box rental is higher. But, I am very happy with the services.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2015 11:49:09 AM PST
Beelissa says:
The point is, Amazon is needlessly restricting mail that can be sent to a PO Box. They are screening out addresses containing a PO Box because other carriers "can not deliver" and that is false. My address, listing both my street address and PO Box, is on most of my packages that come through UPS or FedEx and they don't have a problem ignoring the PO Box part. Amazon needs to come up with a way to check that a street address is included, but it's easier to screen out the PO Box so that's what they do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2015 12:05:39 PM PST
You are correct. Unfortunately Amazon is, and has been for some time, completely ignoring this failure in its address system. Many people in rural areas use the "dual address" and get deliveries by Fed-Ex, etc., to their home, but mail is delivered to their PO Box. Amazon's failure to understand this is inexcusable.

Since there has been an increase in concern about security, I cannot renew my address box subscription unless I identify myself to the local post office. I know of no business other than Amazon that has this failure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2015 12:21:56 PM PST
Lucubration says:
When you say "My address, listing both my street address and PO Box, is on most of my packages..." you mean you're intermixing parts of two completely different locations in one address block? I never heard of that before.

I have two *separate* shipping addresses stored in my Amazon account: my PO box address, and my street address. Amazon lets you store multiple shipping addresses and choose between them for each order. However, you may have to file something with your bank defining multiple acceptable shipping destinations for your credit card -- I had to do that -- which is a reasonable anti-fraud precaution by your bank.

Amazon usually ships to my PO box with no problems (either by having UPS hand it off to the USPS, or by going USPS all the way). On the rare occasions when Amazon refuses to send an item to my PO box it usually has to do with Post Office restrictions -- for example, on batteries or certain liquids or other potentially hazardous substances. Occasionally it's mysterious, as when Amazon wouldn't send inkjet cartridges to my PO box, but the mailman had no problem delivering them via ordinary mail to my street address. I never figured that one out, nor could the mailman, and Amazon can't or won't explain. Usually if you simply re-address the delivery to your name at the Post Office's street address (assuming your PO offers that service), it will then be delivered fine.

But intermixing *your* street address and your PO box/Post Office address in a single address block makes no sense to me, and I'm not surprised that doesn't work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2015 2:12:22 PM PST
Beelissa says:
Let me clarify. This is the format of the address I will use unless a computer won't let me:

Street Address
PO Box
City, ST Zip

I've had a PO Box for about 20 years now. People at the post office told me they read from bottom up, so they want the PO box closest to the zip code line. But I've seen businesses use the format above and this also helps with places that verify my credit card by matching with the billing address of the card. So I use this and it works, mostly. I have 3 addresses in Amazon. One is the above, one is only the street address and one is only the PO Box.

I have had many Amazon shipments that "can't ship to PO Box" and none of them are because of restrictions like you are talking about. It seems very arbitrary. And since I joined Prime, sometimes it won't let me choose the free option if I use any address containing a PO Box, even the one that also contains the street address.

What gets me the most annoyed, though, is when they say it can't be shipped to a PO Box, and then they turn around and use a shipment method that has the final leg of the delivery done by the USPS. Because the USPS doesn't come to my house, so they have to deliver to the PO Box, even if it isn't on the label. My small rural Post Office doesn't have a problem with this, but I can't believe the USPS hasn't complained to Amazon about this problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2015 2:48:54 PM PST
Lucubration says:
Well, I'm an urban guy, with a big-city post office, and street mail delivery almost every day. I guess the practices of the postal service vary more from one place to another than I was aware of.

I do wonder why Amazon refuses to deliver to your PO box so often. Have you tried the other two options I talked about? I mean:

(1) listing both your street address and your PO box with your bank, so they'll accept credit card charges for any of those addresses regardless of the card's "billing address", and

(2) using a hybrid address block, but not the kind you mentioned -- I mean like this:

Let's say, hypothetically, that your local Post Office's address is:

1234 Main Street
New York, NY 02110

...and your name is Mary Smith, and your PO box number is 6789. Then you'd use this as your ship-to address:

Mary Smith
1234 Main Street #6789
New York, NY 02110

Amazon will often ship to an address like that for me even if they *won't* ship to a "normal" PO box address.

A few things to note about the address block I showed above:

1) It's a special service called "Street Addressing Service for your PO Box", which I had to sign up for at my post office back in February 2013, when it was first offered to me. Some restrictions were listed on the form. Not every post office might offer it.

2) It does not include any component of my actual street address; that's the Post Office's street address. It also does not include the words "PO box" -- but does include the box number following a # sign, exactly as I show it.

Does your post office offer this service? If so, have you tried this?

Hope this helps...

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 3:07:44 PM PST
Beelissa says:
Yes, the work-arounds work okay, but it just boggles my mind that this has been going on this long with a company that does as much shipping as Amazon. I guess when you're big, you can get away with stuff. I just want them to fix it and I think because no one in a decision-making position at Amazon has a PO box, they don't understand how it works, nor do they care.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  48
Total posts:  89
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2008
Latest post:  23 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about