Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2011 2:52:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2011 6:27:06 AM PST
Mike B. says:
The Garmin 1450/1490LMT (US version) only has a 2GB internal memory chip and the latest NA map (2012.20) consumes most of the 2GB memory. To make room, they dramatically cut down the size of the Junction View file from ~ .75GB (771MB) to 51MB. That obviously eliminated most of the Junction View images.

Luckily there is a solution. Purchase a 2GB (or larger up to 16GB) High Speed MicroSDMC memory card (8GB $20 at BB).

Follow these four steps:

1 - Download the large (771MB) Junction View file D3060030A.JCV (see link below) for Map version 2012.20.
>> Edited Nov 2011:
>> Map update (2012.30) requires Junction View file (D3060040A.jcv).
>> http://download.garmin.com/support/2012_30/NA/JV/D3060040A.JCV
2 - Create a Garmin\JCV folder on the Micro SD memory card and copy the D3060030A.JCV file to it.
3 - Hook the Garmin GPS to your PC and open up Windows Explorer and look for the system\JCV folder in the internal memory (you will have to enable viewing of hidden and system files in Windows Explorer).
4 - There are one or two smaller JCV files in the folder (I had two: D3178000A.JCV and D3178010A.JCV). Change the name of both files by adding a ".disabled" to the end of the file name to disable them. The GPS will first look in the internal memory then automatically scan the micro SDHC memory card looking for the JCV file.

When you restart your Garmin 1450/1490, the full set of Junction Views will be there. You can run a few GPS simulations through a major city and watch them pop up. Before I made this change I could not find a single one in Philadelphia. Afterwards I found 10 straight away just by simulating some of my favorite routes that pass through the city. This is really a cool feature.

Here is the link to the detailed instructions that also includes the URL to the large Junction View file. Hopefully the moderators will not remove it. http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=23642

This super-large Junction View file only works with the latest NA map revision 2012.20

BTW - I recommend a Class 10 speed micro SDHC memory card. I didn't try a Class 4 (or lower); however, I suspect that a slower speed memory card could cause a delay in bringing up the Junction View image as you approach an interchange.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 9:42:12 PM PDT
SamTheTechy says:
Mike,

I tried the junction view as suggested in your post and it worked like a charm. Thanks allot again.

-Sam.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 6:45:49 AM PDT
Mike B. says:
I'm glad it worked out for you. This procedure gives the Garmin 1450/90 the best of both worlds: Full detail NA map and plenty of Junction Views. In fact, I have not found a single interchange in the Philadelphia area that has a green lane sign overhead that the Garmin did not have a matching Junction View image.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 10:04:34 AM PDT
Jiawei Hsu says:
I just hooked up my 1450 to my PC and opened it up in Explorer but don't see anything related to JCV. I got this 1450 LMT last week, could it have been changed? Should I just copy the downloaded files into the MicroSD and insert it into the GPS?
Thanks in advance!
Peter

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 5:23:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2011 5:26:41 PM PDT
Mike B. says:
You won't see the x:\system\JCV folder unless you enable viewing of hidden files and folders. By default this option is turned off in MS Windows.

I have Windows Vista. I started Windows Explorer. Selected the Garmin 1450/1490 drive letter. Then I clicked on Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and enabled "Show Hidden Files and Folders". After that the system\JCV folder was visible and when I selected it, I found the two files that ended with ". JCV"

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 6:20:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2011 6:21:57 PM PDT
Jiawei Hsu says:
Thank for the prompt tip; I linked the GPS to PC and opened Windows Explorer (Vista), chose drive letter (k:) but am ashamed to ask: where is "tool" on this window? I looked up & down many times but don't see it. I must be retarded.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 7:12:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2011 7:14:22 PM PDT
Mike B. says:
You have to display the Menu Bar (it is turned off by default). Click on Organize (top left); select Layout on the drop down; select Menu Bar. Once you have the Menu Bar you will see Tools.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 7:24:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2011 7:25:30 PM PDT
Jiawei Hsu says:
Mike, with your help, I was able to go thru tools and the rest to find out that "show hidden files and folders" WAS already checked!
I did a "search" for jcv in this directory but came up with nothing. Inside K: I have folders: Garmin, GPX, help, JPEG, keyboards, Reports, Text, Vehicle, Voice, plus files: VolumeIcon,icns, autorun.inf, nuvi_drive.ico.
I guess there is nothing hidden at this moment but I just can't find the .jcv files anywhere...
Thanks for making Amazon a better place, Mike!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 7:43:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2011 7:46:42 PM PDT
Mike B. says:
Are you looking at the correct drive letter? My Garmin's internal memory card is drive "F:". The plugable memory slot MicroSD card is drive "K:".

The small JCV file is on the F: drive. You should see a ". system" folder if you have "Show Hidden Files and Folders" enabled. When you click on the .system folder you will see the JCV sub folder. The JCV file(s) that you have to disable is in that folder.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 7:57:08 PM PDT
Jiawei Hsu says:
I have some internal card readers and 2 optical drives so the first available letter was k; when I connected the GPS to computer, the "autoplay" popped up and I chose "open content" using windows explorer and it was assigned letter k. I haven't plugged the Micro SD card into the GPS yet, should I?
In fact, I just did and it opened up as L with folder "Garmin JCV" containing the 771mb .jcv file.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 8:02:05 PM PDT
Jiawei Hsu says:
What is interesting is that when I opened K drive, I didn't see a folder for maps?
I think I got it. The system folder was hidden because the default was to hide "protected operating system files. I'm probing now.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 9:47:24 AM PDT
MichaelFa says:
Hi Mike,

Did you have any trouble acquiring satellite reception? Mine continuously says acquiring satellites, but does not do it anyway. How long till you got signal bars, did you do to have anything different to get signal? I called Garmin, they suggested staying still in one place for about 10 mins, sounds fishy to me. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 10:07:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 9:54:52 AM PDT
Mike B. says:
The first time I turned mine on, it took around 10 minutes to acquire a satellite; but after that it does it in less than a minute.

Mine will not acquire a satellite in my basement office or on my front porch. However, it will lock on to a satellite in less than a minute when I step off my porch.

I have been using mine within the Philly city limits and suburbs and have not lost a signal once.

I did have it confused once when I parked UNDER an elevated section of I-95. When I went to go home, the GPS thought I was on I-95 and told me to continue south. I had to turn around in the parking lot to exit and the GPS assumed I made a U-Turn on I-95 and was directing me to get off at the next exit so it could get me on a south bound ramp. It took a couple minutes of driving blindly away from I-95 (into a very scary part of town BTW) for the GPS to get an accurate location of my car.

The only thing I wish this GPS had (and all the others), is a sense of roads to avoid at night. I had a situation where I was using it at night to go home and the fastest route (and I agree) was through a neighborhood that has a very-high crime rate. Luckily I knew better, but what if I was in an unfamiliar town?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 11:24:03 AM PDT
MichaelFa says:
thanks, i tried get mine to work while driving. may be that was the issue. will try sitting still to see if it will pick up. thanks again.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 11:44:16 AM PST
I tried this fix for the JCV views and it worked JUST FINE. I simulated several routes in salt Lake City and found several JCV views pop up. Then , I updated the software (v5.40) and they've suddenly stopped appearing. (BTW, I also updated the map to 2012.30, and the JCV views from the large file (771MB) worked fine). Does anyone know how to restore the JCV views? I have still disabled the two small .JCV files on the Garmin, and have the large .JCV file on my microSD card (class 10) in the \Garmin\JCV\ folder I created. My computer recognizes both the Garmin (F:) and the MicroSD crad (G:) just fione.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 8:19:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2011 6:19:55 PM PST
Mike B. says:
The new map update (2012.30) requires the new Junction View file (D3060040A.jcv).
Download from here: http://download.garmin.com/support/2012_30/NA/JV/D3060040A.JCV

Just delete the old Junction file (D3060030A.jcv) on your MicroSD card and copy the new file to it. You also need to go back to the hidden system directory and disable the small .jcv files the new map release installed.

BTW - The new Junction file is even larger, so I assume that means there are more junction images. From now on, it appears that Garmin will release an automatic map update every few months and provide the matching large Junction file as a manual download off their web site.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 8:30:08 AM PST
Thanks! Actually, I do have the xxxxxx30A.jcv file. Do I also need to disable the .sum file in the Garmin JCV folder?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 9:49:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2011 3:15:09 PM PST
Mike B. says:
I only disabled the small .jcv files in the system directory.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 11:48:33 AM PST
is the file on the microSD card supposed to be in \Garmin\JCV\ or simply to \JCV\?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 3:11:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2011 3:13:38 PM PST
Mike B. says:
Sorry I gave you the wrong file name for the latest Junction View file. The new file is D3060040A.jcv

I edited my previous post. Just replace the D3060030A.jcv file with the new D3060040A.jcv file in the Garmin\JCV directory on the MicroSD card

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 3:35:17 PM PST
Sorry. The link that you supplied for the D3060040A.JCV file is broken.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 4:48:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2011 6:39:32 PM PST
I found the D3060040A.JCV file, installed it on my microSD card (\Garmin\JCV\), disabled the smaller .JCV files on the Garmin, and VOILA! It works!

Thanks so much Mike!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 6:23:44 PM PST
Mike B. says:
I fixed the link so others who have updated to the latest map (2012.30) can download the matching large Junction View file (D3060040A.JCV).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 6:38:07 PM PST
You're THE BOMB!

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 7:15:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2011 7:20:16 AM PST
Joe Hassis says:
Thanks for the post. This might help a few people:
Step 1/Link: http://download.garmin.com/support/2012_30/NA/JV/D3060040A.JCV
Step 2/File: http://download.garmin.com/support/2012_30/NA/JV/D3060040A.JCV

---The file to copy to the microSD is D3060040A.JCV not D3060030A.JCV

On the PC, case is not sensitive (i.e. GARMIN, and Garmin are seen the same) when creating the directories.

A class 10 is not required. In fact a standard class 2 will works just as fast. The screen image is very small, and the JCV file appears optimized (maybe a hash table, or other Computer Science algorithm for fast traversals.)

Thanks for the info! Worked just fine.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Sep 15, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2012

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Garmin nuvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Garmin nuvi 1450LMT 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates (Discontinued by Manufacturer) by Garmin
4.0 out of 5 stars   (3,126)