Can't wait to live FOREVER ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2007 6:20:46 PM PDT
Mammal says:
While I applaud the authors occasional originality and wit, I still couldn't but wonder the whole appeal of heaven to the society in general and to the author in particular.

A heaven in which someone is conscious, self-aware and exists in time is a daming proposition. Just conduct a brief thought experiment. Imagine you die like Mrs. Eleanor, go to heaven and meet all people you care for and admire. The situation is informal, everybody has a good time and are eating delicious pies. Now imagine one year of these kind of life. Great ! Ten, A century, A millennium, ten thousand years. Are you still happy living in your idyllic village ? Is so, how about past One Hundred Thousand... One million ...... One Billion Years !!! Happy Now ? But what is a billion years compared to eternity. The age of our earth, the age of our universe it's just a glimpse compared to the eternity !!!

Do people even realise what they wish for ? Eternal life, whether is Heaven or Hell, is a damning proposition unless we are deprived of our immediate memory, so every action we perform it's like new to us. But of course living forever with constant amnesia appears utterly useless. Thus if I ever see Raymond I'll ask him to please destroy my consciousness, my self and my memory after I get utterly tired of living (which I presume would be at most after several million years, but probably much sooner).

Of course I couldn't imagine how a conscious deity like Raymond couldn't get tired of living forever. Indeed if a conscious god ever existed he might had killed himself out of boredom.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Apr 23, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 23, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Can't Wait to Get to Heaven
Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg (Paperback - July 1, 2007)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (403)