5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than anticipated...
Published 23 months ago by Tiberius

3.0 out of 5 stars Major Motor Repair
Published 5 months ago by Bonnie Montes-Uresti

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than anticipated..., January 16, 2013
This review is from: 3.9 Cu. Ft. Capacity Stainless Steel Top Load Washer - White (Kitchen)
I, like so many others, was horrified when my washer finally died after 22 years. After reading all the reviews, virtually no washer available got what I considered really good marks, even those that were well over a $1,000. Consumer reports is starting to get silly on this environmental stuff so they didn't even review washers with agitators. Geesh! Amazon is starting to be more and more reliable and is quoted quite often by reviewers with the advantage of being able to read each review. After balancing reviews, costs, and using a little common sense, I decided to go with this washer.

First thing everyone needs to understand, these new style washers do not fill with water. When the wash cycle starts, the wash basket spins slowly while water is sprayed onto the garments, thus soaking the garments. You need to place the detergent in the washer before the wash starts since there is not enough water to disperse the detergent in the same manner as the old washers. I think that is what is worrying so many people...it's just different. There are also separate dispensers for bleach and fabric softener; I have used the one for bleach and it worked beautifully.

Reading the manual is a must because it really lays out what exactly the washer does and it's easy to manipulate the settings to do what you'd like. There's even a setting for just blue jeans. Or, you can override everything and just do long washes filled with as much water as the machine allows...but I doubt the wash would come out any better. Also a big plus, most regular loads have come out really, really dry. It's almost bizarre of how rung out they are and it has cut down on drying time. It is also very quiet...at least compared to our old machine.

Of course, I have no idea how long this washer will last but it has really exceeded my expectations. I honestly am very surprised at how well this washer works. My only advice for reading reviews on these new washers is realize they use much, much less water and spin really fast so complaints that are the results of those two realities, like clothes being twisted due to the fast spin, you almost have to ignore.

This is a very, very good washer and the price makes this thing a best buy, in my opinion. I honestly couldn't be happier.

2.26.13: Just as a quick add-on as I've now had this washer for over 3 months. I live in the country and am on a well system for water. Due to our filtration system I can see how much water we use. We use so much less water now I am shocked. Now, for me, I'm not that big on the ecological stuff as I find most of it to be misleading. However, if you want to use less household water, this washer has made a significant difference. If water conservation is a concern, then this is a good washer for that reason alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent washer, July 19, 2012
We have been very happy with this machine since purchasing it roughly two years ago, after our last washer gave up the ghost. The tank in the old machine developed a serious leak, which would have cost as much as a new machine to fix.

This model uses less water and far less energy than the old one, as it is designed to handle the new extra-strength super soaps, which produce the same clean for about a third of the volume of soap.

The tank may look like it has very little water in it, but in fact it is quite wide and deep, which enables the machine to rotate at slower and more gentle speeds than older models, with less water.

The tank is stainless steel, as opposed to older style machines whose tanks with fragile ceramic coatings that often chipped and cracked.

Stainless steel can be expected to hold up without rusting or popping leaks.

We bought this unit on the advice of a parent who had recently bought a similar model and was very happy with it. So far, so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good High Efficiency Washer but Much Louder than Expected, December 18, 2012
This machine gets my clothes clean, uses less water, detergent, and electricity than my last machine and has a huge basket. The basket does not fill all the way but I have ran some pretty big loads and have not noticed any spotting or problems with my clothes. The power rinse option seems to compensate for not filling the basket all the way. My preferred setting is the manual fill Super Load, with cold water for colors and warm for whites and I always use the PowerRinse option. Only drawbacks I've noticed is that the machine is much louder than I expected it to be (especially when the agitator is running) and that it took forever to ship from the dealer I ordered it from. These are the reasons I only give it a four star. Owned it for a little over a month now though and no major complaints thus far. I called GE on the noise and they said this should decrease with time and is completely normal when breaking in a new wash machine. Time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far I Love It, January 30, 2013
I had to purchase a new washer when my old one finally gave up after having been repaired twice. This one is very quiet and after the spin cycle, the clothes are very dry so that drying time is cut in half. I have seen negative reviews complaining about the water level. I just turned it to super and didn't use the precise fill selection. Also, I saw a tip from another owner that if you select the fabric softener rinse, you will get more water in the rinse cycle. I used to have to close the laundry room door, which is right off the family room where we watch TV when using the old one. This one was so quiet I had to go check to see if it was running. I did find that I don't have to use as much detergent so that will save some money, there is a speed wash cycle if I need something in a hurry and shorter drying time. My best friend has a front loading HE washer and hates it. She saw this one and now wants to come try it out to see if she wants to sell hers and get one. Apparently mold and mildew buildup in hers is a problem. As far as how long this washer will last remains to be seen, but initially I am very pleased.

Update 2/12/2013 I have been using the washer for a few weeks now and I still love it. I have read reviews where people have complained that it doesn't use enough water. If you learn to use the settings, you can get as much water as you want. I have to wash a lot of dirty jeans and towels. I use the super load setting and the fabric softener rinse setting. Both give plenty of water and my clothes get as clean as I could expect. No, not every stain comes out, but some of them are just permanent and no washing machine on earth could get them out. Spin cycle gets clothes very dry so my dryer only needs to run about half the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy hack to fill it 3 holes down from the top with water:, December 3, 2013
Got this machine a few days ago via the Thanksgiving promo.

So far it seems alright, will keep my fingers crossed. It is more quiet than the previous very basic GE washer that we had. Also, the clothes are spun to a drier state, thus faster drying time.

A lot of people don't like that it never fully fills with water. While on Super the water seems to come up about 5 holes down from the rim. Now, this is not all it can do. While playing with the settings, I've figured out how to fool it to get as much water as it can, which is about 3 holes down from the rim.

The sequence is the following:
1) start some wash with the water temperature you desire, and wait for it to fill the drum a bit
2) cancel the wash by holding the button for 3 seconds
3) start the wash again by pressing the button
4) if it starts draining, press the button for 3 seconds immediately, to cancel the draining
5) start the wash, it should start filling, and this time it will fill up to how much the sensor can take

I've had the water setting on "Large", and it filled the drum to 3 holes down from the top by doing this sequence which it should not have had done for "Large".

Consider this a manual override for "special" occasions. For having to do this silliness I've taken 1 star off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Major Motor Repair, July 12, 2014
We purchased this washer less then two years ago while washing a light load of sheets a horrible noise like a machine gun started and the washer was gyrating horribly. Got it off and discovered the agitator had flown off and cracked as did the under agitator motor cap while a sheet had wrapped itself under the casing.... Called GE and they said the best they could do to fix it was give me a 25% discount on parts and labor since the year was up but they agreed that should NOT have happened. Called our home insurance they sent a Sears repair person helooked at it and said there was an HIGH alert on this washer that the motor speed had an issue and was causing exactly what happened to us. So beware you are gambling with if yours is one or not. The washer is fine and worked great until this however we are extremely upset a washer less then two years old would do this , won't buy a GE again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, May 30, 2013
Had to replace GE Profile washer of 6 years young because it sprung a leak out of extended warranty. For what a service call would cost, it just made sence to go shopping. It was not easy to find a similar washer as to the one I had and was quite happy with. Washers have gone wild with new technology. Did a lot of reading reviews and they did not speak well for the low water use, no wringer machines . Found this one at a really fantastic sale price. Sales man talked us out of what we had settled on which was that new technology. He reasoned that wringer machines get cloths clean for sure. Not sorry I listened. I was reluctant to use the self adjusting water load level. But the cloths are really clean using it. There are also load size choices if you prefer. Only thing that I'm not thrilled with is it will not fill with water unless the lid is closed. There is an extra rinse if you are using fabric softener and it is doing a fine job. Spins really dry and there is less dryer time as a result.
In short, good choice, great price. Includes all the bells and whistles. Is energy efficient and user friendly. It does have a stainless drum which was one of my requirements. The only thing it doesn't have is that new tech look. Hope this GE lasts more then 6 years. Could not ignore the sale price in making my choice. Those front loaders are 2X the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Machine!, July 5, 2013
HPM (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
Be sure to read the other one star reviews. This is the worst consumer product I have owned. My wife and I usually only have modest loads. For a small load you must tell the machine to use extra large or super load size to get enough water. My current machine, which will be on the junk heap tomorrow, just had the agitator weight drop off - $400 to fix the mess this caused. The unit was purchased June 2012 but not used until September. So after 9 months of washing I bought another machine.

Over the last sixty years I have never known any washer that could not deliver at least 10 years of service (some lasted quite a bit longer. Don't waste your money on this one. If you burn the money at least you will get a bit of heat out it.

1.0 out of 5 stars It would be exceptionally bad judgment to skip this extended warranty with this machine, September 21, 2014
It seems to be probable that this washer will damage your clothing over time and 100% known that the fins on the agitator are designed so incredibly poorly that clothes get stuck in them. It can be extremely difficult to get the clothes out and there it seems inevitable that either the fin will break or your clothes will tear trying to extract them from the washer.

Do not even consider buying this washer without the extended warranty. It would be exceptionally bad judgment to skip this extended warranty with this machine. We have already had the repair service out 2 times for other problems in the 1st six months or so that we have owned the machine.

The next worse thing about this washer is that it is light enough that when it gets out of balance it seriously starts to walk. This model needs a sensor to spinning when it get far out of balance.

There is only one positive thing that can be said about this washer. I have a laundry room with slightly narrower than standard doorways. This is one of extremely few washers with a full size tub that will fit through the door.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaky hunk of plastic, November 9, 2013
I owned this product for 14 months, just 2 months after the warranty expired it started leaking all over my wood floors. It would cost more to repair so I traded it in for a Speed Queen. Now it's just a leaky hunk of plastic in my carport. Not even charities will take it now. So disappointed. Do not waste your money on this product.