5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than anticipated...
Published 20 months ago by Jeff

1.0 out of 5 stars not high efficiency when clothes have to be washed twice
Published on July 25, 2012 by mhjh1006

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than anticipated..., January 16, 2013
This review is from: 3.9 Cu. Ft. Capacity Stainless Steel Top Load Washer - White (Kitchen)
I, like so many others, was horrified when my washer finally died after 22 years. After reading all the reviews, virtually no washer available got what I considered really good marks, even those that were well over a $1,000. Consumer reports is starting to get silly on this environmental stuff so they didn't even review washers with agitators. Geesh! Amazon is starting to be more and more reliable and is quoted quite often by reviewers with the advantage of being able to read each review. After balancing reviews, costs, and using a little common sense, I decided to go with this washer.

First thing everyone needs to understand, these new style washers do not fill with water. When the wash cycle starts, the wash basket spins slowly while water is sprayed onto the garments, thus soaking the garments. You need to place the detergent in the washer before the wash starts since there is not enough water to disperse the detergent in the same manner as the old washers. I think that is what is worrying so many people...it's just different. There are also separate dispensers for bleach and fabric softener; I have used the one for bleach and it worked beautifully.

Reading the manual is a must because it really lays out what exactly the washer does and it's easy to manipulate the settings to do what you'd like. There's even a setting for just blue jeans. Or, you can override everything and just do long washes filled with as much water as the machine allows...but I doubt the wash would come out any better. Also a big plus, most regular loads have come out really, really dry. It's almost bizarre of how rung out they are and it has cut down on drying time. It is also very quiet...at least compared to our old machine.

Of course, I have no idea how long this washer will last but it has really exceeded my expectations. I honestly am very surprised at how well this washer works. My only advice for reading reviews on these new washers is realize they use much, much less water and spin really fast so complaints that are the results of those two realities, like clothes being twisted due to the fast spin, you almost have to ignore.

This is a very, very good washer and the price makes this thing a best buy, in my opinion. I honestly couldn't be happier.

2.26.13: Just as a quick add-on as I've now had this washer for over 3 months. I live in the country and am on a well system for water. Due to our filtration system I can see how much water we use. We use so much less water now I am shocked. Now, for me, I'm not that big on the ecological stuff as I find most of it to be misleading. However, if you want to use less household water, this washer has made a significant difference. If water conservation is a concern, then this is a good washer for that reason alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent washer, July 19, 2012
We have been very happy with this machine since purchasing it roughly two years ago, after our last washer gave up the ghost. The tank in the old machine developed a serious leak, which would have cost as much as a new machine to fix.

This model uses less water and far less energy than the old one, as it is designed to handle the new extra-strength super soaps, which produce the same clean for about a third of the volume of soap.

The tank may look like it has very little water in it, but in fact it is quite wide and deep, which enables the machine to rotate at slower and more gentle speeds than older models, with less water.

The tank is stainless steel, as opposed to older style machines whose tanks with fragile ceramic coatings that often chipped and cracked.

Stainless steel can be expected to hold up without rusting or popping leaks.

We bought this unit on the advice of a parent who had recently bought a similar model and was very happy with it. So far, so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good High Efficiency Washer but Much Louder than Expected, December 18, 2012
This machine gets my clothes clean, uses less water, detergent, and electricity than my last machine and has a huge basket. The basket does not fill all the way but I have ran some pretty big loads and have not noticed any spotting or problems with my clothes. The power rinse option seems to compensate for not filling the basket all the way. My preferred setting is the manual fill Super Load, with cold water for colors and warm for whites and I always use the PowerRinse option. Only drawbacks I've noticed is that the machine is much louder than I expected it to be (especially when the agitator is running) and that it took forever to ship from the dealer I ordered it from. These are the reasons I only give it a four star. Owned it for a little over a month now though and no major complaints thus far. I called GE on the noise and they said this should decrease with time and is completely normal when breaking in a new wash machine. Time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far I Love It, January 30, 2013
I had to purchase a new washer when my old one finally gave up after having been repaired twice. This one is very quiet and after the spin cycle, the clothes are very dry so that drying time is cut in half. I have seen negative reviews complaining about the water level. I just turned it to super and didn't use the precise fill selection. Also, I saw a tip from another owner that if you select the fabric softener rinse, you will get more water in the rinse cycle. I used to have to close the laundry room door, which is right off the family room where we watch TV when using the old one. This one was so quiet I had to go check to see if it was running. I did find that I don't have to use as much detergent so that will save some money, there is a speed wash cycle if I need something in a hurry and shorter drying time. My best friend has a front loading HE washer and hates it. She saw this one and now wants to come try it out to see if she wants to sell hers and get one. Apparently mold and mildew buildup in hers is a problem. As far as how long this washer will last remains to be seen, but initially I am very pleased.

Update 2/12/2013 I have been using the washer for a few weeks now and I still love it. I have read reviews where people have complained that it doesn't use enough water. If you learn to use the settings, you can get as much water as you want. I have to wash a lot of dirty jeans and towels. I use the super load setting and the fabric softener rinse setting. Both give plenty of water and my clothes get as clean as I could expect. No, not every stain comes out, but some of them are just permanent and no washing machine on earth could get them out. Spin cycle gets clothes very dry so my dryer only needs to run about half the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, May 30, 2013
Had to replace GE Profile washer of 6 years young because it sprung a leak out of extended warranty. For what a service call would cost, it just made sence to go shopping. It was not easy to find a similar washer as to the one I had and was quite happy with. Washers have gone wild with new technology. Did a lot of reading reviews and they did not speak well for the low water use, no wringer machines . Found this one at a really fantastic sale price. Sales man talked us out of what we had settled on which was that new technology. He reasoned that wringer machines get cloths clean for sure. Not sorry I listened. I was reluctant to use the self adjusting water load level. But the cloths are really clean using it. There are also load size choices if you prefer. Only thing that I'm not thrilled with is it will not fill with water unless the lid is closed. There is an extra rinse if you are using fabric softener and it is doing a fine job. Spins really dry and there is less dryer time as a result.
In short, good choice, great price. Includes all the bells and whistles. Is energy efficient and user friendly. It does have a stainless drum which was one of my requirements. The only thing it doesn't have is that new tech look. Hope this GE lasts more then 6 years. Could not ignore the sale price in making my choice. Those front loaders are 2X the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy hack to fill it 3 holes down from the top with water:, December 3, 2013
Got this machine a few days ago via the Thanksgiving promo.

So far it seems alright, will keep my fingers crossed. It is more quiet than the previous very basic GE washer that we had. Also, the clothes are spun to a drier state, thus faster drying time.

A lot of people don't like that it never fully fills with water. While on Super the water seems to come up about 5 holes down from the rim. Now, this is not all it can do. While playing with the settings, I've figured out how to fool it to get as much water as it can, which is about 3 holes down from the rim.

The sequence is the following:
1) start some wash with the water temperature you desire, and wait for it to fill the drum a bit
2) cancel the wash by holding the button for 3 seconds
3) start the wash again by pressing the button
4) if it starts draining, press the button for 3 seconds immediately, to cancel the draining
5) start the wash, it should start filling, and this time it will fill up to how much the sensor can take

I've had the water setting on "Large", and it filled the drum to 3 holes down from the top by doing this sequence which it should not have had done for "Large".

Consider this a manual override for "special" occasions. For having to do this silliness I've taken 1 star off.

1.0 out of 5 stars not high efficiency when clothes have to be washed twice, July 25, 2012
I have had this washing machine for 1.5 years now and am very unhappy with it. If you plan to wash large items such as a duvet cover, bedspread, blankets, or even just one bath mat, the water level is not sufficient to clean thoroughly. I washed the slip cover from just 1 sofa cushion with detergent and bleach (it's a white slipcover) after our dog got mud on it, and there were brown lines all over it from where it was so wadded up in the wash cycle due to the low water level. The same thing happens with bath mats and any other bulky items. There just isn't enough water to distribute the detergent and/or bleach evenly. Also, jeans and pants legs get so twisted due to the low water level that they don't rinse completely. You can actually tell how well the detergent works because where it was able to penetrate the clothing, the clothes are clean. Where the clothes were so twisted, they're still dirty. When one has to wash clothes twice to get them thoroughly clean, the "high efficiency" no longer applies.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Machine!, July 5, 2013
HPM (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
Be sure to read the other one star reviews. This is the worst consumer product I have owned. My wife and I usually only have modest loads. For a small load you must tell the machine to use extra large or super load size to get enough water. My current machine, which will be on the junk heap tomorrow, just had the agitator weight drop off - $400 to fix the mess this caused. The unit was purchased June 2012 but not used until September. So after 9 months of washing I bought another machine.

Over the last sixty years I have never known any washer that could not deliver at least 10 years of service (some lasted quite a bit longer. Don't waste your money on this one. If you burn the money at least you will get a bit of heat out it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Lemon, August 30, 2012
William Hutton (Williamsburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
The first motor stopped working 6 months after we got it. The second one was a little better - it lasted 2 years. Now we're getting our third motor in three years. And this was not as a result of heavy use - we're a family of 2, no kids. Our last GE washer lasted 12 years with no problem. They don't make 'em like they used to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare, Horrible, Awful, May 3, 2013
After owning this horrible GE washer for 22 months, and having it repaired three times already, I bought a new Frigidaire washing machine today to replace this maddening, unreliable, horrible machine.

It doesn't matter what price you find this machine at, even if you find it on the side of the road with a "Free!" sign on it, don't take it, unless you are a GE repairman yourself, because you will not be able to depend on it.

Speaking of GE repairmen, I am on now a first-name basis with the GE repairman in our area, who was at our house four times in the 22-month lifespan of this GE washer. The control panel had to be replaced...twice. Now the transmission is dead; standing water in my machine, wet clothes, can't get it to spin. Third time in 22 months that I've been without a washing machine, even though we paid good money at the big box store for this GE washer, did I mention it was 22 MONTHS AGO??

And even when the machine is working, it does NOT clean well. Cat hair, dirt, the smell of perfume and deodorant -- all those things would still be on my "clean" clothes when I removed them from the washer.

Long story short, now that the transmission is dead, and the service people tell me it will be SEVENTEEN DAYS before a repairman could come!!!!...enough!! Enough! I'm sorry I ever bought this washer, and sorry I spent money on a useless service contract, and I'm done.

Even though I still have seven months left on the service contract for this 22-month-old GE washer, this aggravation and being without a washer is SO not worth it. I got in my car, drove to the neighborhood appliance store, not a big box store, and bought a Frigidaire washing machine. Goodbye forever, GE, and thanks for absolutely nothing but grief, piles of dirty clothes I can't wash for my family, trips to the laundromat even though I own a washing machine, tears, and tearing my hair out.

Recommendation: Absolutely not.