- File Size: 899 KB
- Print Length: 448 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0415107628
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Up to 4 simultaneous devices, per publisher limits
- Publisher: Routledge; 1 edition (May 13, 2013)
- Publication Date: May 13, 2013
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B000SEPDJ6
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#924,404 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #335 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Money > Economics > Free Enterprise
- #432 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Ideologies & Doctrines > Democracy
- #510 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Ideologies & Doctrines > Communism & Socialism
Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy Kindle Edition
Based on seven years of reporting from over a dozen countries, writer Tom Wainwright takes you on an extraordinary journey into the business of being a drug lord. Learn more.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
To me, the biggest aha of the book is Schumpeter's assertion of capitalism's impending collapse.Read more ›
Joseph Schumpeter (1883-1950), scion of the Austrian School of subjective economics although very much his own intellectual conscience, posited that capitalism tends toward self-destruction and socialism is heir apparent like it or not (Schumpeter didn't personally endorse socialism). Through this work and others, Schumpeter (although not Jewish himself) fulfills a teaching of one of the great sages of Israel - "Ben Zoma says: Who is wise? He who learns from every man..." (Ethics of the Fathers 4:1).
Like his teacher Eugen von Bohm-Bawerk, Professor Schumpeter gave Karl Marx his due, crediting Marx as one of the fathers of economic theory, following the line back to the Classical School. Many of the Reagan-era neoconservatives (the "neo" ought to stand for Not Educated Overall) that wore Adam Smith ties and imagined Marx to be the polar opposite of classical economics probably never read Marx or the writings of his greatest influence, the Classical School's David Ricardo. Bohm-Bawerk and Schumpeter, who both served as finance ministers for the nation of Austria, took time to study Marx.
Schumpeter holds that Marx was correct in his central observation that capitalism would break down but wrong in some of the reasons he (Marx) gave. Schumpeter credits one of the fathers of the German Historical School - Gustav von Schmoller - for the insight that what would replace capitalism is state socialism, marked by increased bureaucratization, as opposed to Marx's socialism run by the masses.Read more ›
The copy I received is a cheap version, with irregularly cut edges and paper that is not book quality. The last page of the book says:
Made in the USA
04 October 2012
which was two days after I ordered the book.
Amazon should not be selling these copy shop items as if they were real books, especially not at $70.
Having said that, there are some weaknesses. The book has a style that requires intense concentration.
And, the author made the mistake that so many other authors have made of assuming that it is possible to convince socialists that socialism is wrong by presenting rational arguments against socialism.
I don't think socialists will turn into capitalists from reading this. However, people who already understand capitalism (and therefore already are capitalists) will benefit.
John Christmas, author of "Democracy Society"
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Business & Money > Economics > Free Enterprise
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Ideologies & Doctrines > Communism & Socialism
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Ideologies & Doctrines > Democracy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Money > Biography & History
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Money > Economics > Free Enterprise
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Ideologies & Doctrines > Communism & Socialism
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Ideologies & Doctrines > Democracy