5.0 out of 5 stars totally pleased
My biggest rave is the Amazon.com customer service. I fell in love with the look of this kettle and found the best price on Amazon.com (with free shipping!) When it arrived, it only worked if the kettle was oriented one way on the base -- when it boiled, the water dribbled on the cord. Called Capresso Cust Svc -- 1st person said, it's supposed to do that. After...
Published on March 17, 2006 by Gail

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks can be deceiving
I ordered this kettle specifically to avoid heating up water in plastic. However, this kettle emitted a foul chemical odor that also transferred to the water. I boiled it a few times plus tried the water/vinegar suggestion in the brochure but nothing seemed to help. I decided that I didn't want to take the risk of drinking these unknown chemicals so I'm returning it -...
Published on August 28, 2006 by C. Honess

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 490 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love this kettle..., July 13, 2008
Lowell (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Capresso 259 H2O Plus Glass Water Kettle, Polished Chrome (Kitchen)
This kettle was most highly reviewed in Cook's Illustrated, which has never steered me wrong with kitchen tool recommendations. I also had hoped that the reviews on Amazon that mentioned the chemical smell might have been a little overblown. However, they're true. I really loved the kettle design and functioning, but I think the rubber gasket on the base of the kettle is the culprit. Even when the water had cooled off and sat in the kettle for an hour or so, you can lift the lid and smell something vaguely like shower curtain liner. Serious bummer. For the folks at Capresso: replace that gasket with something hardier, and you'll rule the kettle world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy with customer service, February 8, 2010
I love the looks of this kettle and how quickly it heats the water. However, the kettle I had purchased through Amazon was defective. After the second day of use I found the dry kettle still hot the next morning. Obviously, the safety shut off switch did not work. I called Capresso and was told to send the product back for replacement. My request for free shipment back was denied. I was told this product did not qualify for pre-paid shipping back??? It cost me $14 to return it. So it wasn't that great of a purchase.
My replacement kettle works fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars great kettle, January 9, 2007
I really like this kettle. It heats water very quickly and shuts itself off if the water is too low or is boiling. The only thing I don't like is the silver matte finish. When I ordered it I thought the top was a brushed metal and its not. Its plastic made to look like satin nickel finish - but really doesn't in person. The glass carafe does look great sitting on the counter and compliments my contemporary kitchen. Its also offered in the shiny finish which looks much better in person, but is still only plastic.

1.0 out of 5 stars SILICON GLUE FOUND IN KETTLE!!!, July 25, 2010
I bought this glass kettle at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It looked very nice in the box. I took it home, opened the box, took out the kettle, and looked inside. There I found a corn-kernel sized piece of SILICON GLUE -- a small ball of it sitting in the pot! I kid you not! The kettle also literally stunk of silicon glue odor. The smell automatically raised red flags. The stainless dome that heats the water in the center of the kettle is SEALED with a RUBBER circular sealer, obviously GLUED in place with SILICON GLUE. Enter logic and reason: if just under that rubber seal is a batch of silicon glue, then what probability is there of seepage into the water? Based on actually finding a piece of amber colored silicon glue, I invite each person to reason out the possibilities for water contamination. This is not the end of my story. I called the CAPRESSO Corporation on the phone. I told them about the amber piece of solidified glue -- and they played dumb. They had no idea what that piece of stone-hard, amber-colored substance could have possibly been. In other words, how could possibly they KNOW what THEIR KETTLES are made of? So I then introduced the topic of the SMELL that greeted me upon opening up the lid of the kettle and putting it to my nose. They said: boil some lemon juice and the smell will go away. I said: that's all well and fine, but what about this piece of glue sitting in my kettle; and what about this flimsy rubber seal that is most definitely GLUED to the glass bottom? I THEN ALSO ASKED THEM IF THEY HAD DONE ANY SCIENTIFIC TESTS ON THE WATER AFTER BOILING IT, TO SEE WHETHER THE SILICON LEAKS INTO THE BOILED WATER. THE REPRESENTATIVE, A MALE, SAID, YES, OF COURSE WE"VE TESTED FOR THIS. LET ME PUT YOU ON HOLD AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE LINKS FOR THIS INFORMATION. HE CAME BACK AND SAID SOMETHING YOU WON'T BELIEVE: HE SAID: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE KETTLE IS WRITTEN ON THE BOX. Well, this pretty much PUSHED OUR DISCUSSION OVER THE CLIFF. I THEN LECTURED HIM ABOUT THE FACT THAT THIS IS SIMPLY NOT ACCEPTABLE INFORMATION. I SUGGESTED THEY DESIGN A KETTLE IN WHICH THE ENTIRE INTERIOR IS MADE OF GLASS or get rid of that damned rubber seal. I never even heard of Capresso before purchasing this kettle, but it's pretty obvious that this company, to be polite and restrained, is devious. I think this man was banking on me hanging up AFTER he put me on hold. After all, why would he state YES to the question I posed about testing INFORMATION on the boiled water in the pot for contaminants? I will never do business with this company again. This is a money making outfit importing these potentially dangerous and cheaply constructed kettles from China AND with NO guarantees to the customer about water purity or information on the potential for silicon poisoned water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Electric Kettle I've ever owned, January 4, 2008
April G. Mcintyre (Ferndale, Washington) - See all my reviews
This kettle is reliable, efficient and beautiful. It heats water quickly and very hot. I bought one for my son because he liked mine so much. I use it several times a day, 365 days out of the year. I have had mine for two years and have really gotten my money's worth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but Slightly Disappointed, June 24, 2008
John "~John" (S.F, L.A., Phoenix) - See all my reviews
Almost all the electric kettles on the market have some sort of plastic attached much too close to the area where the water is boiled. I was extremely excited to find an electric kettle that didn't have a plastic interior or any obvious plastic attached to the spout. I bought one immediately. To my disappointment, there was a rubber ring for the base where the metal part boiled the water met the glass bottom. This wash is also used for on-the-go coffee mugs/decanters. Despite this character flaw, I boiled some water, I used reverse osmosis water and the water came out, tasting pretty good. I suggest the first 3 boils be tossed out. I'm still keeping it though, it's one of the better ones on the market and I've given up hunting. Perhaps I'll reconvert to an old fashioned kettle, if I can't stand my new toy's single flaw. Oh yeah, it looks gorgeous on my counter, next to my standing mixer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware Handle Not Polished Chrome but foil on plastic, October 6, 2010
This kettle is advertised on Amazon as "Polished Chrome" It is polished chrome in color only. It has some type of chrome colored plastic foil overlay on a plastic handle. I've used the kettle for approx. 9 months and recently noticed that the handle was separating right above the on/off switch on the handle, making the switch somewhat balky at times. Closer inspection shows that the "polished chrome" is bubbling up and peeling off. When I contacted the mfgr. since it it still under the one year warranty I was told that they discontinued the real polished chrome a while ago. If the handle is only plastic wrapped in foil you can be sure that the cover is made of the same cheesy material as well. I would not purchase this product again, nor would I ever recommend it to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Better Than We Thought, March 21, 2008
I spent a good bit of time researching electric kettles before purchasing this one. After reading a lot of reviews here at Amazon, I decided I didn't want a plastic kettle. I was also leery of the metal ones because they get so hot. I found one metal one I decided to purchase, and it was no longer available. When I searched on electric kettles again, this one had been added. Many of the reviews were positive, and we liked the idea of boiling in glass, so we decided to give it a try. It's been in daily use for almost 20 months now, multiple times on some days, and we couldn't be more pleased. It heats the water incredibly quickly. The auto shut off is a great safety feature, and I like the soft base which protects your counter when using the carafe away from the base. It's easy to clean, and it looks nice. We've recommended it to several friends, and they are all happy with their purchases. One truth in advertising fact - the "polished chrome" is really plastic, but that doesn't detract from the usability of this great kettle. Great value, durable item, well worth the money. If ours breaks, we will replace it with another just like it - we like it that much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kettle, February 8, 2008
Heats very fast with automatic shutoff. Great design and look with a top that's cool to the touch (I prefer the plastic cap for that). No problems with odor here (see comments elsewhere). Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful at first, but doesn't last, November 30, 2010
I bought this kettle for my parents who drink lots of tea. At first I was really mesmerized with this kettle -- I'd literally sit and just watch the water boil. The water heats up quickly and the capacity is sufficient for everyday use.

However, after a few weeks, the water began to leave white scale on the glass. I know it's easy enough to clean with vinegar, but is just kind of a hassle to have to keep doing this. After a few months, the fake chrome paint began to peel off the handle. After about 9 months, the inner metal heating element began to discolor and rust. At which point I replaced it with something not as flashy, but more reliable.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 490 | Next ›

Capresso 259 H2O Plus Glass Water Kettle, Polished Chrome
$100.00 $49.66
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.