on July 3, 2009
First I need to say in response to a number of other reviews that this is not something to prevent fleas or to be the end all to your flea problems. This pill gets you off to a great start but you need to use a prevention program with it. I use The Program with my pets. This way what ever bites them during the 24 hour period after being given Capstar just die. You may want to do capstar for 3 days in a row. Then use another flea treatment that helps with the prevention part.

I have two Shiba Inu dogs. Four years ago on the 4th of July my husband and I were driving in the country side and nearly hit two kittens on the road. I got out of my car to shoo them off the road and instead they rubbed up on my legs and purred. They were skinny and flea ridden. I decided to pick them up, wash them, feed them and bring them to the shelter the next day. Well, I found out that we didn't have shelters that took cats out here and everyone I worked with all laughed congratulating me on my new pets since they all had at least one cat themselves by accident. So here I was with two dogs and two cats. What I didn't count on was the flea infestation that would follow and my poor pups suffering as well. I tried everything I could find at the stores, we tried things that the vet gave us and they just kept coming. I then saw this product Captstar on PetMeds. It was expensive but claimed that all of the fleas would start dying within 30 mins. I really thought that this was too good to be true but was desperate. It arrived soon after and I gave it to all 4 animals. NOTE: GIVING A PILL TO A CAT IS NOT FUN NOR EASY!!! Especially when the pill is as small as this. I wish they could do something like the flavor tabs of other programs. After rolling my poor cats in towels and a few scratches I was able to give it to them. Any yes, within 30 mins they were literally just falling off. I did this for 3 days in a row (more due to the fact that the package has 6 tabs in each and I had two of each pet) but it worked!! I then put them on the Program and I have not seen a flea since. So much so, this past fall thru spring I stopped thinking the threat was gone...yeah, so here I am again, not quite with an infestation, but I know that I am not even going to let it get that bad. So I am buying them now. Amazon seems to be the cheapest place to find these as well.

I hope this helps and clears up some of the misconceptions from previous reviews. Trust me, this is WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT!!
4343 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2012
We moved out in the country and my indoor pets turned into indoor/outdoor pets. Thanks to to all the rain we got this winter, they became flea infested this spring and i tried EVERYTHING, to no avail, my cat was so bad, you could see by just looking at him, how fleas walked across his face and my heart bled for him, the dog had them in her long fur and even with dawn-baths (who DO work, just not good enough because those suckers are so deep in her long golden retriever fur).
Topical treatments and drops did not work and it got frustrating because you apply once, and then have to wait a month before you can try the next brand. Then i finally remembered CAPSTAR from my time working in a shelter, years ago and i ordered the ones for cats and dogs. i did cheat a little and gave the dog 2 pills (she is 46 lbs and those pills are for 2 - 25 lbs, but i wanted to try them first and not waste yet again doses if it wasn't working).
The package arrived at 11 am. at noon i crushed the pills in tuna, one lump for doggie and 1 lump for kitty...at 12:30 pm they started scratching and licking and the dog even whined and i noticed some spinning, writhing dots on the floor. that lasted about an hour..now its 2:45, the dog is sound asleep and not twitching like in all those weeks before, the cat is laying next to me, still giving me the evil eye, but i dont see ANYTHING moving on him anymore, not even when i dig for it...i DO see eggs on the dog so she will get a bath and in a couple days another round of treatment. Oh and i walked around my kitchen/dining/living room area...i can see dead fleas EVERYWHERE!!! time to sweep, mop, vacuum and i feel SO relieved for them.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2009
My cat is allergic to Frontline and Advantage, which are topical pesticides that get ingested when the cat grooms itself. He would get a lump on his neck wherever I would apply it, so I stopped using topical insecticide for flea control.

I really like Program, and I use it in conjuction with Capstar if he picks up live fleas

Even if your cat has a flea infestation, just give them Capstar and then use Program. Capstar which works faster than anything else, and kills all the fleas on your cat in 5 minutes, but is not long-lasting.

Although Capstar doesn't work for more than 30 minutes, it kills all the biting fleas and it is actually safe for kittens and animals that are sick. I used to work at a veterinary hospital and they gave Capstar and Program to animals that were infested with fleas, but sick, since they are safer alternatives to Advantage and Frontline (read the insert for Advantage, it actually says that it's not safe for sick animals OR kittens).

The people that give this product a bad review need to realize that if you cat is infested, you need to do something about the active fleas and the eggs. Program is an ovacide that prevents fleas from reproducing so it won't stop an infestation, but it's so much safer for your cat. Capstar works instantly to kill all biting fleas, but it won't last. So if you use both, you can control fleas completely without using a topical pesticide that is dangerous to your cat when it grooms itself.

As a side note, if your cat (or dog) ingest the fleas while they are grooming or licking themselves, sometimes they will get tapeworms, which look like little grains of rice near their anus and bedding. My cat gets tapeworms about every 2 years or so. You can purchase tapeworm tabs without a prescription now in the US. The medicine is called Praziquantel and is available online for about $15. So I have all three at my house and I'm all set.

I'll never use anything else.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 2014
One star ratings for this product seem to go like this "Didn't work!" with no mention of their method used. Others state "only worked for one day!" Duh. It says plain as day WORKS FOR ONE DAY ONLY! Another ignorant twit wrote "It's not my home! I have hardwood floors!". So, you're dim enough to think fleas can't infest a home with hard flooring? Do you also sleep in a hardwood bed? Sit on a hardwood couch? Did you realize fleas can fit between hardwood planks and between tiles and in furniture? Here's a real review for the folks who are a little on the dim side or the inexperienced:

These work for a total of 24 hours maximum. The effectiveness ends after a day in which the medicine will then stop working. This gives you a window of time to clean. To deflea pets using this product, which kills ONLY ADULT FLEAS for only 24 HOURS, do the following:

1. Purchase and administer pill(s) to pet(s). One pill per pet per day. Just read the packaging directions.
2. Purchase flea shampoo. These pills will not kill eggs left on your pet, you will need to bathe your pet with a pet shampoo that states it will kill flea eggs.
3. Wash your pet, take your time. If you rush through bathing, the shampoo won't have time to work.
4. Purchase and use flea comb. Most of your fleas will be dead. If not, you're going to want to catch them in the comb and either pop em with your nails and/or flush them. It's gross, yes, but you gotta kill living fleas however you can. The pills should help here. Flush all fleas, dead or alive. Be safe, not sorry.
5. Buy flea spray. Raid makes flea spray in a purple can that is HIGHLY effective. Do not spray around pets, do not let pets near treated areas for at least one hour. Follow flea spray directions, be sure to spray your pets favourite rest spots. Do not spray directly on your animal(s)!!!
6. Do laundry. You'll want to wash pet bedding, clothes, your bedding, any fabric laying around like blankets where fleas can hide including towels you dried your pet off with after their bath.
7. Vacuum. If you have carpets or cat trees or other unwashable items where your pet spends time, vacuum those places thoroughly. Make sure to move things and be very thorough. One missed flea can make tons more in no time.
8. Repeat above steps as needed.

Why are these pills used if they only work for one day? I will tell you. When you flea bathe a pet, the fleas run to their face. It's dangerous to put flea shampoo on your pets face, like around the eyes, nose, and mouth and that's exactly where the fleas run to. On pets with dark fur, it's hard to even SEE the fleas. These pills, used in tandum with flea bathing and a thorough house cleaning, assure you missed none of the fleas crawling on your pet. It also assures ones that jump back on your pet during cleaning will also die. These pills are cheaper (and safer) than monthly pills of pet insecticides, and more effective than gross topical insectides you will get on your hands petting your cat or dog and that will also get licked off by mutually grooming cats that will get sick from ingesting the topical insecticide.

These pills mean you're more likely to achieve in 24 hours what it takes 1-2 weeks to achieve without them, IF YOU ARE SMART AND CLEAN WELL TO PREVENT REINFESTATION. If you are lazy and do not bathe your pet and clean your home, you will waste your money. If you decide to be lazy because you think your home cannot accommodate fleas, you are WRONG. That's where these one-star ratings appear to be coming from.

There is no truly lazy way out of flea infestation, but you can cut down your work time and effort by using these pills.

For truly insane flea infestations where you walk in and fleas are covering your legs, add a new step 5. Buy flea bombs, one per room, and follow the instructions. Leave the bombs do their work whilest taking all living creatures out of your home for an hour or two. (Even crating your pet and waiting somewhere safe outside for an hour or two will suffice, as long as weather permits.)

These pills WORK. But you have to do YOUR PART in making sure all fleas and eggs in your home die.

Trust me on this one. I've owned literally dozens of cats and have had to handle some severe infestations. (Leaving my cats to be watched by someone else for a month led to an infestation where standing on my counter couldn't keep them off of me.)

Furthur advice: keep cats indoors. Any pet that goes outside is highly likely to bring them in. And moreover, some yards and locations breed higher instances of fleas. They sell flea-killer that you can spray over your yard. It's a great investment for dog owners who have no choice but take their pet outside. Also, fleas can still exist in your home throughout winter without you seeing them and crop up when the weather warms up. Winter is the best time to kill them because they're less active in cold areas. Give 'em heck and keep cleaning.

These pills are not a cure-all and were not intended to be, but they do their job and will greatly assist your efforts. Thanks.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 22, 2014
These monsters have gone too far. Years ago, we fought to a bloody stalemate. I can remember it like it was yesterday, my fingers raw from crushing countless legions of the hemophages. The chitinnous bodies piled up like walls. We'd finally pushed them out into the yard.

After years of peace, an adorable fluffy gray kitten became my undoing. What sort of callous animal lover could ignore her pitiful mewling underneath the patio chair in the driving rain. The other furred beasts in the house took to her immediately, but she repaid our kindness with betrayal. It began slowly enough, a quick flitting spot on the floor. Then one cat scratching her ear. Then another.

Soon the monsters were even on the humans!

I consulted the wise ones, and used their methods, laying crushed rock from Mount Borax. Verily, the vile cretins became coated in the stuff, and fell apart, desiccated. And yet, for every one that went back to the mud, another took its place.

When times grew darkest, I sought counsel from the Oracle. She told of a mighty warrior, with a shining morning star. His name was Cap.

When he stepped into the field, the monsters lost their minds. They began leaping off of my direcats, hopping about with no direction until they fell, twitching. For two days, the war was ours. They piled high, and finally my beasts were able to stop scratching.

We fought many more battles and every time, Cap and star bought us much needed respite, always two full days of peace. When we paired his ferocity with the treacherous snares of the arcane book known in our tounge as "The Prog' ram", we finally drove the horde back and out of our borders.

Never again will we be pushed around by these fell monsters.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 8, 2013
I have three pets: a large dog and two cats. All the animals came down with fleas at the same time for the first time ever--an extremely bad flea season this summer.

I used Pet Armour to no avail. In about five days I tried Advantage on the female cat (since she seemed the most bothered and I had one tube left over from a previous purchase) and Frontline Plus, which arrived a day later, on the male cat and the dog. I kept the dog separated from the cats and the female cat secluded in one room--her choice: She was angry at me for putting the Advantage on her and for picking at her fur for days. But holing up in one room was to her advantage, no pun intended, as it kept her from coming into contact with the other cat. A few days later the dog and female cat seemed fine. Just the male cat had visible fleas--and quite a few. I'd check him every so often and find a couple more each time. (Interestingly, just as I noticed a decline in fleas on the dog and female cat, I noticed the problem increase on the male cat, who didn't seem as bothered before. He must have been the desired host at that point.)

So, I tried the Capstar on him and within an hour fleas were literally dropping off of him. They were visibly dying. The next morning I checked the cat and he had no fleas at all that I could detect. He seemed content too.

I will definitely use this product again. In fact, I plan to give it to the dog and other cat today, just to make sure they're not harboring any more bugs. It worked like a charm. Use it in combination with topical medications that will kill the fleas in the egg and larval stages and it should eliminate any infestation currently in the house and yard and prevent the pets from becoming reinfested. (Also, vacuum, launder, and mop religiously any bedding, rugs, carpets, and floors the pets come in contact with and you should be fine in a couple weeks. Just keep up with the Advantage or Advantix for dogs after that. (After many years of using these products, I find Advantage/Advantix to be better than both Frontline Plus, Frontline Top Spot, and Pet Armour).
on September 1, 2008
Thank you for the fast service. The capstar is a great product. I would purchase it again.
on September 4, 2009
My vet prescribed these for my cat when she had a flea problem a couple years ago and it worked wonderfully. When she got out of the house and picked some fleas up a few months ago, I ordered this and it knocked out the fleas quickly, especially since I used it with the other med that kills flea eggs for a month. If you use them both, the flea problem is reduced in a few days, and gone by the end of the month.

Instead of giving my cat the pill for six days in a row, I give her one every other day, and I think that works better. Also, my cat is very small, and she has no problems with it, so it's safe for smaller cats.
on June 21, 2013
I have two miniature Schnauzers and it did not work on either one. It did not even help a little. Ended up taking the dogs to the vet to get medicine(Comfortis) that works great. Will NEVER buy this product again!!
on September 12, 2009
I have gotten this from the vet before, exact same thing but MUCH cheaper..they made me pay $5 a pill. Works just like the ones I got from the vet.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...