4.0 out of 5 stars Capsters have taken over our house!, January 8, 2011
This review is from: Capsters: Make Bottle Caps into Great Works of Coolness (Klutz) (Spiral-bound)
This kit turned out to be one of my daughter's favorite Christmas presents. It is surprisingly fun to make these little custom charms out of bottle caps, photos and eclectic doodads. She's gotten interested in making pop culture capsters, using mostly cutouts from magazines. This feels more original than using the little backgrounds in the Klutz book, but it's totally up to each creator. I love seeing what she chooses and how she crops the pictures, and puts together images and charms.

Why is my rating 4 stars instead of 5? First, because the kit comes with a limited amount of actual caps, charms and glue supplies. And second, this can't really be helped, but you should be aware it takes capsters 24 hours to dry, so if you invite a friend over to make them together, you have a challenge of getting them home safely. The whole process is potentially a little messy because it involves a lot of glue--don't do it on a fancy surface. But overall capsters are an immediate hit in our house and one of of our favorite Klutz crafts.

Supplies you'll need if you want to keep making capsters:

To cut out custom circles from other pictures, you'll want a Marth Stewart 1-Inch Punch Circle to make perfect circles easily.

More crystal glaze: Sakura 4 Ounce 3-D Crystal Lacquer Refill

More bottle caps: New Silver Crown Bottle Caps For Crafts, Scrapbooking, Jewelry (50 Pieces)

When your kitchen table becomes over-run with capsters, the Klutz guide will also tell you how to turn them into magnets, jewelry, zipper pulls and other simple decorative crafts.

Highly recommended as a gift selection for older kids/younger tweens--that hard to please 9-12 year old set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my child in a cast!, July 11, 2009
Kimba (North of Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
Right at the start of summer last month, my daughter broke her elbow and was casted. This craft kept her very busy and happy for almost a week---and if you've ever had a child in a cast, sometimes every hour is a challenge for the "casted one" and the whole family. That said, I'm sure this craft would have kept her interest & would have lasted a while longer, had I purchased extra caps and doo-dads at the time of this purchase, but I didn't think to do that.

Were I to have known what I know now, I definitely would have purchased this same craft ... but I would have also bought some extra caps, some tiny "extras" to put inside the caps, a refill of their glaze glue, and probably a circular punch that is made specifically for the precise-fitting pictures that are glued into the bottle caps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and different craft project, July 16, 2006
I bought this for my 2 kids 5 & 7 and they both thought it was totally cool. We have a handful of interesting capsters that I need to stick a magnet onto for our fridge. We even have one with an eyeball springing out of it. This is an easy to do project that you can take as little or as much time with doing. Even my 5 year old was able to make a few of them. We quickly ran out of the plastic trinkets that they provide, so we have to find more little trinkets. There are plenty of little pictures with a wide variety of themes for anyone, included in the book. Great rainy day activity. The glaze is VERY permanent, so don't get it on your counter...like we did. UGH!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Projects for Kids, March 8, 2007
G. S. Cook (Hammondsport, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book because I wanted to learn more about making bottle cap art as a project for Kids Kamp. The instructions provided are easy enough for kids, with lots of ideas presented. I appreciate the huge selection of inserts as well! The one expensive part of the project for 100 kids will be the clear glaze...but it's not cheaper or easily available elsewhere so appreciate that you can purchase more supplies from Klutz.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but needs better options!, January 19, 2009
Capsters are fun to make, but they need to provide more (and better) options to use in the cap! Backgrounds are dull, and there are not enough charms and things to include in the glaze. Drying time is a day, so patience can wear thin, but all in all a creative idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Capsters Capture Imagination!, February 27, 2008
Do you like miniature scenes? Do you like to share bits of art with others? Do you like a craft where there is very little cost, but a nice end product?
Wow, this is the craft for you. It comes with plenty to get started, but as soon as you buy the kit, go online to Klutz.com and order an extra set of caps and 2 or 3 bottles of bead glue. That way you will have plenty on hand for all who want to join in the fun. The first order from Klutz gets a 25% discount!!!! I loved it. This is a crowd pleaser from age 6 to 106! I made little scenes for my christmas Tea Party and gave them away as favors, attaced a small piece of magnet strip and they were all adored! Fun, Fun,Fun!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect activity for rainy day (or any day), May 17, 2012
ATM (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
Can't say enough about this toy. My daughter (age 6) received it as a gift from my sister. She has played with it everyday, along with her friends. And they get so creative, they use things all around the house. We have made them into magnets, necklaces, and pulls for their backpack zippers. I have had a ton of parents ask me where I got them, so they could purchase for their kids, or as gifts. I have so much fun helping put them together. Wonderful, wonderful toy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful fun!, December 9, 2005
My daughter, age 10 bought this kit with her allowance. She and her sisters have had a great time with it. I bought a roll of magnetic tape for her to attach to the back of the caps and she uses her magnets at school in her locker. The other kids in her hallway have been asking her to make some up for them as well. I guess we will be making another run to the store for more supplies (:. These are really cute!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive Fun, December 29, 2008
My 6 year old daughter begged me to buy these things in October when she saw them in a store. When I looked it over I was amazed that she wanted them. I thought it was a strange idea and that the packaging wasn't that appealling to me. She does not often beg for things so I decided to order it from Amazon for her for Christmas.

The day after Christmas she brought the package of the capsters over to me and ask if we could do them. I was less than thrilled to do this activity with her when I was so exhausted after the holiday.

When I finally open the package I was relieved that the instructions were so very simple...3 easy steps. Well she shared some of the pieces of the project and I was instantly hooked. I made mine to reflect the things that I some day hope to have. Now they are my good luck charms.

You can go far beyond what they provide in the package. My daughter and I made some things out of sculpty clay III for the capsters.

I have totally changed my opinion of this product. I love doing them along with my daughter. It was one of her favorite Christmas gifts and I would think it would make a good birthday gift for a child about 6 years or older. It's a good price for the amount of fun one can have with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun, October 1, 2009
Children from preschool through college love making these capsters. They put them on their lockers, gifts, add magnets and stick on refrigerator, give to friends, etc. I had to purchase 200 extra bottle caps for them to make. They have spent literally hours making these. Bottle caps are cheap and you can use your own decorations such as stickers, glitter, etc. These book only has 15 bottle caps in it and you are going to need many more. This book was worth triple the money I paid. You don't really have to have this book I suppose but the kids LOVE LOVE LOVE them. If you plan to make these and place on your refrigerator, make sure you buy magnets as there are no magnets included. It is just something we added for fun.

Capsters: Make Bottle Caps into Great Works of Coolness (Klutz)
Capsters: Make Bottle Caps into Great Works of Coolness (Klutz) by Editors Of Klutz (Spiral-bound - August 1, 2005)
Used & New from: $8.88