5.0 out of 5 stars Geat story telling, February 7, 2009
Gail Young "Sci-fi reader" (Likely, Ca 3 miles beyond the end of the world) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captive Souls (Paperback)
This book was really good story telling, nice turn of phrases and some surprises for the reader. Can't wait for the next book from Bonnie Lea Elliott. I recommend this for all readers. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book - Highly Recommended!, July 6, 2009
This review is from: Captive Souls (Paperback)
Captive Souls parallels the lives of Cessoline Sommers, living in 1889, with Charlie Sanders, living in 1989.

New Orleans, LA , 1889 -- Cessoline "Cesso" is a high-spirited young lady. Her adventurous nature sets her on a journey from which there is no turning back. She is haunted in her waking hours by a man she detests, deep blue eyes to fall into and a kiss she never wanted to stop. Without a confidant, Cesso dutifully memorializes her experiences and feelings in her journal. But other events have already been set in motion, events that destiny has drawn especially for her. Ever defiant, she tries to control the direction fate has chosen for her.

Phoenix, AZ, 1989 -- Charlie Sanders is a newspaper reporter. She is always fixed on the next story, always willing to learn, always NEEDING to know. She receives anonymous gifts, one of which is a journal post-marked New Orleans. By seemingly blind luck, she is assigned a job in New Orleans. Here, Charlie's past, present and future collide as she learns about a tale, centuries in the making, and introduced to the curse of the Velree on Evangeline.

Will Cesso and Charlie share one fate? Can the curse be lifted? Can peace finally reside in the place where the weeping willows grow? Only time can tell...

Captive Souls is a story of passion, hate, lust, pain, sorrow and love. It is a brilliant debut novel by Bonnie Lea Elliott and a story that will touch you from start to finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Captive Souls, February 2, 2009
Annie (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Captive Souls

I started reading this book and I was surprised at how it much I liked it.
This is a first book for author, Bonnie Lea Elliott and she really nailed it. I loved the characters, especially Cessoline. I didn't want to put the book down.
I will definitely look for future books from Ms. Elliott.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captive Souls---I need more from Bonnie!, July 12, 2009
This review is from: Captive Souls (Paperback)
I chanced across Captive Souls earlier in the year. Immediately, I became entranced by the story. Much as Charlie did, I couldn't wait to turn the page, to read the next word. Curses, souls, and tales of the past weave a spellbinding tale that I was unable to set down until I had read every last word.
As a debut novel, I am impressed by the skilled and passionate writing displayed by Ms. Elliott. I anxiously await her next novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars I became a Captive Audience, September 5, 2009
This review is from: Captive Souls (Paperback)
The first book for Bonnie Lea Elliott is wonderful.I guarentee you will not want to put it down. Bonnie has set this story in two settings 1889 and 1989.
It is a wonderous story of love, jealousy, and vou-dou, a mystery which spans 100 years in New Orleans Louisiana.
1889- Cesso and Blake Reeves start their story..In 1989 - Charlie and Blaine Ravens start theirs. They are all part of a Creole Legend of the Velree on Evangeline.
The chapters are inter twined from 1889 and 1989 easily switching back and forth giving the reader the history of the characters and how they are all bound to each other.
The love story is heartwarming, fun, and a frustrating roller coaster of emotions. I do not think I took a breath reading the last 30 pages. And when the book was over the story teller offered me the feeling of wanting to read more !!! and more is coming in her Second book which I eagerly await called Soul Surrender..The story continues

Captive Souls
Captive Souls by Bonnie Lea Elliott (Paperback - December 1, 2008)
$29.95 $26.96