Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 2, 2006
This book helped me understand the meaning of God's word and the stories He uses to illustrate His point, like The Prodigal Son, the conversion of Saul of Tarsus on the road to Damascus, and the conversion of 17th century slave trader turned abolitionist preacher, John Newton. In addition, I got a good definition of Grace, Mercy, and Justification. It made me think.

Their conversions did not happen overnight. Saul of Tarsus, a Hebrew by birth, a Roman citizen who spoke Greek, and understood Aramaic, which was the language Jesus spoke, persecuted Christians and was on his way to Damascus to arrest the sect he found there before he heard the voice of God say "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?"

John Newton was a slave trader. He understood the Scriptures thanks to his mother, but he was rebellious. Like the Prodigal Son, grace came when they both hit bottom. In this case, he went below to get a knife for the captain during a storm. The man who took his place on deck was swept overboard. When he retired, the captain that took his place aboard ship was lost at sea.

The trials we Christians go through are a test of faith and endurance. If the Lord removed us from every trial we faced, we wouldn't grow in understanding. By leading us through it, we sometimes understand the reason.

Dr. Jeremiah's words are both timely and timeless. This is a powerful book.
on March 21, 2006
I am fortunate to have Dr. David Jeremiah as my pastor at Shadow Mountain Community Church here in San Diego, CA. His newest book "Captured By Grace" possesses the power of the Holy Spirit as it speaks through him. The words we've seen many times before, "Amazing grace how sweet the sound..." have a new life in this book. I recommend it as a book that will change your life, change your heart, and capture your spirit--the part of you that God seeks and will never rest until it is found. "I once was lost but now am found." You will be blessed by this book, whether you want to be or not.
on March 14, 2006
Regardless of what we have done in the past, no one is beyond the reach of our loving God! What a blessing it is to know that God loves ME (despite all my failures and all my faults)! Using John Newton's hymn "Amazing Grace" as his outline, Dr. Jeremiah explains how God lovingly extends an offer of grace to each and every sinner. Our choice is to accept His offer--or not.
on April 6, 2006
First I must say that David Jeremiah is a great preacher. I used to watch him on tv almost every week, but then stopped watching because of many circumstances. I did however see him on tv recently, and knew I needed to get to work on myself.

After getting a little sidetracked with problems over the past year and a half, I am trying to get back to building my relationship with the Lord.

Captured By Grace was a wonderful book that reminded me that God always loves me, and is always available to both help and comfort me. Sometimes my own sin and shortcomings cause me to feel distant from God and make me feel that He is so very far away from me. After reading both this, and another great book called Passenger's Side, I am feeling like a new person. Both of these are must read books.

Praise the Lord for his grace and faithfulness!
on June 1, 2006
David Jeremiah, senior pastor at Shadow Mountain Community Church in El Cajon, California and founder of the popular radio and television ministry "Turning Point," offers readers words of comfort and hope in his latest book, CAPTURED BY GRACE.

The title examines the powerful message of grace through the lives of two distinct historical figures: John Newton and the Apostle Paul. Newton, who penned "Amazing Grace," had an adventurous but equally difficult life as a slave trader before his conversion. Yet the hymn that he wrote continues to be popular long after Newton's life ended. Jeremiah believes the hymn's renown is not just because it's so well-written but because it's rooted in grace.

He writes: "Grace is shocking --- something like the heavenly converse of a traffic accident. When love is returned for evil, we can't help stopping to rubber-neck. Grace is the delivery of a jewel that nobody ordered; a burst of light in a room where everyone forgot it was dark. Grace turns human politics on its head, right before our eyes. It renounces entire conventional wisdom of social behavior. Grace suggests that human beings may be something more than honor graduates of the animal kingdom after all; that the rumors may be true that purity and goodness are real and alive."

It's this kind of grace that also captured the Apostle Paul. Before his conversion, he was a persecutor of Christians. He went long and far to torment them. But that is when grace grabbed him by the scruff of the neck through an encounter with God that first blinded him before opening his eyes to the truth. Jeremiah points out that the New Testament includes 155 references to grace, and 130 of those references were written by Paul. Grace is found in the beginning and end as well as throughout the letters he wrote as a significant theme. Like Newton, the Apostle Paul was captured by grace.

Drawing from the lives of these two individuals as well as other stories and anecdotes, Jeremiah builds a case that there is grace not only for the past and the present but also for the future. He suggests that grace teaches us to renounce sin, live soberly and revere God. It also teaches us to praise God for all He has done, all He is doing and all He will continue to do. Grace brings us into a closer relationship with Him.

While CAPTURED BY GRACE is a bit disjointed at times, it has a clear message of hope and encouragement. It's filled with a variety of colorful stories and quotes from both the known and the unknown. This book can be read through in its entirety or enjoyed in devotional-size bits. Whether you're a fan of the hymn "Amazing Grace" or of David Jeremiah's writing or ministry, you'll find an insightful look at the role of grace throughout the ages.

--- Reviewed by Margaret Feinberg [...]
on March 19, 2006
Pastor David Jeremiah uses the lyrics (and the story behind them) of "Amazing Grace" to present a biblical portrait of grace, emphasizing the life and teaching of the Apostle Paul. This easy-to-read, scriptural, and practical volume encourages people to find their source of acceptance in the free but costly grace found in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection.

Reviewer: Bob Kellemen, Ph.D., is the author of "Beyond the Suffering: Embracing the Legacy of African American Soul Care and Spiritual Direction," "Soul Physicians," "Spiritual Friends," and the forthcoming "Sacred Friendships: Listening to the Voices of Women Soul Care-Givers and Spiritual Directors."
on June 1, 2006
I found this book initially at my local library. After just reading the prelude, I knew I would be purchasing this for my own. David Jeremiah has a way of bring subtle nuances to your attention which reverberate within long after the page was turned. This is a one on one conversation about two people pursued by God and how it relates to your life; what really is grace and how can you bring to the world?
on September 23, 2012
This is a great book and written in a easy to understand and remember language. This book is not written as an academic exercise on Grace and the gospel and for that you need to check out Jerry Bridges book "The Discipline of Grace." David Jeremiah explains the gospel and uses the examples of Newton, the Apostle Paul, and others as illustrations. This book helps create in you a thankful heart for what you do have and what God has given you. Once one understands God's grace from a Biblical perspective will they see everything from God's point of view and that is that we (like Newton) are miserables wretches incapable of anything good, and every atom of our bodies are totally depraved and infected with the disease of sin. Once we receive God's justification by faith alone (Eph 2:8-10), God looks at us differently and as washed people. As David Jeremiah says on page 45 " before we can experience abundant grace, we have to understand our total depravity and Christ's total love." Overall a great book, and highly recommended to give to unbelievers, and for Christians wanting to remember Christ's sacrifice for our total depravity on the cross.
VINE VOICEon January 24, 2012
First of all, I am a fan of Dr. Jeremiah's works so this one was an easy 5 star for me. His method of using a slave trader and a persecutor of Christians as an example of God's grace brought the understanding of that grace to a level that is easy to understand.
If you believe that you just may not be a recipient of grace, this book will open your eyes. Grace does not mean the end of suffering in this world but it does mean that the love of God, His grace and His mercy guarantees an eternity with Him that is void of all troubles and worries as we know them.
"Captured by Grace" is a great read for non-believers as well as Christians. Christians faith may be renewed and unbelievers may be reborn.
on July 11, 2015
Very good read into the background of John Newton, the man who wrote the words to "Amazing Grace". There are a lot of similarities between the trails that John Newton faced and those of the Apostle Paul. This book shares many of those similarities and scriptural references to help us get a better glimpse into God's grace toward us.

I felt the book is a little too "long-winded" and that kept me from giving it 5 stars. But, to be honest, I am not an avid reader, so maybe it's just me.