4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings
At first I was very excited, I wanted the product like many others for airborne operations. I specifically intended to put it on my son's kite and on a weather balloon (after I get a GPS receiver). The camera is very small on weighs next to nothing, 15 grams.

Published on August 31, 2012 by Darth Lucious

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent little semi-disposable camera for the price
I too bought this little camera to do kite aerial video. It's very small, rivaling those keyfob cameras, and incredibly light. At $20 or less, it's worth a try.

Published on April 19, 2012 by Brian

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, August 31, 2012

It comes in a very nice tin. It was packaged very well and I received it in a very timely fashion. However, when I opened the instructions included in the cd I actually laughed out loud. The instructions are so ridiculous that it frustrated me for several hours. I charged the little device overnight (it only needs a few hours but I was going to bed). Because the instructions suck I thought it was not functioning. The camera would turn on and appear to go through the different modes and even worked as a webcam. But I could not seem to get it to function as a video recorder as advertised. What I found out through trial and error was that my Micro SD card needed to be reformatted. For some reason it did not want to function. After formatting the Micro SD card it worked like a champ. If the instructions were better I might have found this out a lot sooner.

I will upload a video review of the camera soon, hopefully later today. I managed to get about 83 mins of record time before the battery needed to be recharged. I will include some modified instructions if anyone is interested. They still are not perfect but you will be much better off than before.

HD Mini Camera User Manual

Product brief introduction
This product is a U disk storage, high-definition digital camera, camera motion detection, charge while shooting video, memory support 32GB, connects to the computer, direct storing function Micro SD card memory, security cameras, photo shoot and high-definition screen, the product has the advantages of simple operation, small and exquisite, beautiful and practical, easy to carry, is home security, education, living in areas such as the necessary practical tools, by the user's favor.
I Characteristics of Product
 It has small contour design, It is very fashionable and wearable and matches most outfits.
 Support webcam PC camera and chatting function.
 Support AVI video format.
 It can carry out high definition image recording under low illumination.
 Support 30 fps for 720*480
 Support USB1.1 and USB2.0.
 Support 32GB Micro SD card.(maximum) (This is confusing; here it indicated a 32GB card is supported but elsewhere it indicated 16GB was the largest card supported. I have a 16GB and it works great)

II Operation Guide

1. Charge
Before you use it the first time, charge it completely. The method for charging as following:
1.) Connect to computer: use USB cable to connect the computer, then it can be charged.
2.) Use adaptor: connect charger plug with USB cable, then plug into electrical connector receptacle, it can be charged.
When you charge it, the blue light will illuminate and red light will flash slowly, when finished charging, the red light stops flashing.

Notice: when battery power is not enough, the device will enter into protection mode, so it cannot be turned on. Charge it for continued use. Micro SD card must be formatted prior to use.

2. On/Off
Please confirm the Micro SD card has already been inserted!
Power on: Press power button for 3seconds , Blue indicator light illuminates.
Power off:In the suspended state, press the power button for 3seconds, indicator light turns off.

3. Video
Power on and device enters video mode, the red indicator light illuminates. Press REC (ON/OFF) once, red light will flash, indicating that recording has started; press REC (ON/OFF), the red indicator light illuminates stead, indicating suspension mode and saves the recorded content, if you need to record again , press REC (ON/OFF) once , and recording begins again.
Image resolution : 720 * 480 frames, 29 ~ 30fps / S.

Notice:
a. Please make sure Micro SD card has been inserted, if not, it will power off automatically after about 5 seconds.
b. The maximum capacity of Micro SD card is 16GB.
c. Saving file needs certain time, so please don't press Operation button continuously in order to avoid saving unsmoothly and generating incomplete file.
d. When you make a video, please focus on the object and keep 50cm under sufficient illumination. Then the video will be right, natural color, clear and stable.

4. Take Photo
In the video mode, press mode button for short time, device enters camera mode, and blue indicator light illuminates. Press REC once and blue light flashes once, taking a photo. Repeat the process to take another photo
Image resolution :1280 * 1024

5.Recording (Audio Only)
In the camera mode , press mode button, device enters recording mode, red and blue light begins to illuminate. Press REC (ON/OFF) once, device begins recording as the red indicator light illuminates and the blue light flashes. Press REC (ON/OFF) once, red and blue light illuminates again, stop recording and save. Repeat the process to record more than one track.
6. Motion detection
In the normal mode, press mode button for 3-5 seconds, blue and red indicator light begins to bright, now it enters into motion detection mode. Camera within a moving object, the Blue indicator light flashes once then off, while began recording. Motion detection video, camera range without moving object, the machine stops automatically after 60 seconds, the blue and red indicator light backs light, to continue moving detection status.
In moving detection status, press REC, red indicator light begins to bright, stop and save .

7. Charging while video
Shutdown state, hold the video/camera button, connected to the power line, equipment startup, entry charging while video state.

8.Time set
The detail as following:
1. Insert Micro SD card, connect to computer, find a text called TIME.TXT under root directory of card.
2011-05-01 23:59:59,
2. open TIME.TXT,write correct date and time in the above format. Any other format will result in an error.

9. Auto-power off function
MINI DV-006H will save file and turn off automatically as following:
a. When you shoot video without enough power, file will be saved automatically, then auto-power off.
b. When disk space of MINI DV-006H is not enough, the indicator light will go out and the file will be saved automatically then the camera will power off.
c. Under standby mode, without any operation in 45 seconds, it will be auto-power off.

10.Connecting computer
It can connects computer under power off mode, standby mode or video mode, after that which can be used as U disk, who can copy, cut and paste, delete file.
When you connect it with USB port, a portable disk mark will be seen after several seconds. Red indicator light shines steady, yellow indicator light will be from flashed quickly to always brights.

Notice:
a. When you connect to computer, if the machine cannot identify, or not see the portable U disk mark in 30 seconds, please insert it again.
b. It is better to copy or cut video file into computer hardware then play. Video file which is saved in the camera and played directly and will not play smoothly, the reason is that large amount of data cannot be transmitted fast enough.

11.PC Camera
Connect the device to computer with USB, the computer will identify the U disk, press any key, at this moment and the camera will switch to web cam mode. Then double click the network camera icon of my computer can be used as PC camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what I got them for..., February 7, 2013
Allen E. Silky "Ed" (Dublin, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Car Alarm Remote Keychain DVR Camera (Camera)
I want to start with why I bought this...

I wanted a very small, very light, and very cheap, video camera to attach to my small RC Helicopers, Planes, and Rockets.

I did some research and found that most suppiers ended up with the same basic PCB and components, so I searched out the lowest price. I found these for $4.99 and figured that was pretty good.

Having read reviews about units not completely working, I was fine with that - given the price...

I bought 4, figuring that at 4.99, if I got a couple that worked I would be fine.

They arrived in record time. And, give or take, they all worked!

I will admit that a couple had 'some issues', but at $4.99 for a video/still camera - I have to say, I'm impressed!

Okay, they are nowhere close to a GoPro (my favorate action video camera), but my small helis can't lift a GoPro, so here I am...

Out of the box, one wouldn't hold the memory card, so I chose that one to 'dis-assemble' (remove the keychain split-ring and two (very small) screws and it's open)... The memory card issue was due to the battery pushing down on the card connector. I pulled the battery out (from the double-stick tape) and moved it over, and that resolved the memory card issue.

The sound isn't very good, but I figure that since I'm going to strap these to an RC Plane or Helicopter, the most I would hear is the engine, So I'm fine with not having much sound (but you need to adjust to your usage - if you need good sound, these probably aren't for you!).

I took one of the four I bought and replaced the battery with one half the weight (a similar construction LiPro that my small heli uses), and a multi-hole-punched heat-shrink tubing cover (in place of the 'key-chain plastic' case it came with), and put a very small Velco patch on it to attach to my airplane and helicopter. This has provided some great (though not GoPro like) video from my flights.

I'm looking to work on some video post-processing that can reduce the 'shake', but it is fun to watch.

I found these cheap, and given other reviews I bought four. Given some 'tinkering' all four worked, so you many not need that many, but I would suggest you find a really good price and buy at least a could of them (expecting that one may not work right out of the box).

BTW... The actual box, is probably worth more than the camera! It is very thick cardboard with a megnetic lid closure... quite impressive if you are looking for some quality packaging! :-)

...And the instruction 'manual' is very much 'chine-english', so be ready to take a little time to figure out what it is trying to say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, October 5, 2013
Length:: 1:50 Mins

I've just received my keychain camera, targeted at attaching it to my Syma X1 Quad Copter to take videos while I fly it - just for fun. I've played with the camera for about 2 hours, watched instruction videos on youtube, and spent quite a bit of time on the Chuck Lohr web site.

I've uploaded a video I shot of my 3-year-old grandson at open gym today. Sadly the video was downgraded during the upload to Amazon because it simply isn't as good as it is on the original file on my computer. I hoped you could see the quality of the video, color reproduction, sharpness, and light capture capability in this video. The video shows the gym lit about the way it looks with the eyes. The music is coming from a boom-box about 50' away. Most of the tilt in the video is due to the way I was holding it. But I found that laying the camera on a flat surface there is a slight (5%?) built in tilt as well.

As many have said the instructions are very difficult to decipher, but it can be done. I won't try to give instructions on how to use the camera because apparently there are different models and you don't know which one you'll receive. The three cameras look the same but react differently to the two buttons. There is a ton of help on the web site chucklohr dot com.

My camera seems to be a type #11 but with upgraded firmware because it seems to have some of the #16 characteristics. No big deal, as I'm just playing with this cheap toy I'm not looking for the optimal camera.

Clearly mine is a type #11 because the battery wires are soldered onto the board while the #16 has a connector. But rather than a short push of the power button to turn it on, as indicated in the #11 user manual, mine requires a long push (about 3-5 seconds) to turn it on which is a #16 characteristic.

Some things I found.
- I didn't think the computer would communicate with the camera through the USB cable but it does. In my case I insert the USB cable with the camera turned off and it automatically turns on. At that point I can access it from my computer, change the date, view videos, and view photographs.

- The Videos are stored on the micro SD card in the DCIM->100MEDIA folder.

- I could view the videos with the Windows Media Player or the Windows Movie Maker but not with the VLC Media Player. Strange because the VLC player usually works better than other media players.

Pros:
- It was cheap
- It works.
- It takes rather surprising video - about as good as my feature phone. Not great but for under $10 acceptable.
- Color reproduction isn't great but acceptable.
- The auto-focus responds quickly and seems to work quite well.
- The sound captured with the video isn't bad at all. I was using it in a completely quiet room and recorded my voice from about a foot away from the camera for this test.
- The box that it comes in is one of the better features of the camera. It is made of thin but rigid cardboard and has a magnetic latch. This has nothing to do with the camera but it's cool anyway. I wish the paperwork was as good as the box.

Cons:
- The low light capability is just not good. Things, not well illuminated, that I can see with my naked eye are black on the video.
- The instructions are terrible.
- It doesn't always connect to my computer when I plug the USB cable into it. I have to do it 2 or 3 times.
- My version doesn't have some features that the #16 version has. The most interesting would be for the light to flash during video which mine doesn't. There is no indication if you are taking video or not.
- The micro SD card must be plugged in upside down, with the contact of the SD care facing up. Okay fine. But the gap for the SD card is about twice as tall as it needs to be. Once when I tried to insert the SD card it went easily and fully into the keychain case completely missing the card slot. When I shook it I could hear the SD card rattling around inside. I had to take the screws out and open the case to fetch the card.

For under $10 this is surprisingly good, but you have to do your homework because there is very little that comes with the camera in the form of a user manual.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent little semi-disposable camera for the price, April 19, 2012

The downside for me is the video quality. There may be more than one version of electronics for this camera, since other reviews mention smooth video. This is not too uncommon. Search on 808 keychain cameras to get an idea. My video is very jumpy, with a lot of slow rolling shutter distortions. This is with a class 6, 16GB micro SDHC card. Color balance tends to shift all over the place too, even in bright sunlight. I suspect that like some others, this camera really has a lower resolution sensor and upconverts the video to 1280x960. Either the sensor itself is slow, or the cpu can't keep up with the upconversion. Do not try to watch the videos over USB. Transfer the file first and then view if possible. The USB interface cannot keep up with the video stream. It uses MJPEG (motion jpeg) storage so the HD video files are huge, about 60MB/min.

The viewfinder is nearly useless. Not surprising at this size. It's only in focus with the camera 6-8 inches in front of your face, which makes the image too tiny to see.

Overall, for the price it's a fun little gadget to hang on a kite or RC without having to worry about it. The first time out, mine fell into a puddle. It wasn't immersed but it did get wet. It completely lost the video it was recording at the time, and became unresponsive for a long while. After few hours to dry out and a recharge, it was working fine again.

1.0 out of 5 stars FRAUD! Compounded by Coersion!, August 24, 2013
THIS REVIEW REFERS BOTH TO TO THE ITEM:
Worlds Smallest HD Digital Video Camera Mini Dv DVR [ASIN: B006H2MQ9S]

---and the vendor: NEWDIGI CO.,LTD.

First of all, this gizmo is a piece of crap; don't bother wasting your money on it.
The so-called "instructions" are useless. There is no booklet; you have to use the credit-card sized CD which contains two word documents. One is the instructions in the original Chinese. The other is the instructions translated into gibberish English from Chinese.
Even if you do try to follow them, they make no sense when compared to the way the devise operates. They refer to a sequence of flashing or blinking lights where none exists and at one point they refer to a yellow light, when the only color light it has is red or blue.
The only results I was able to obtain were completely accidental and I have no way of knowing what I did to get them.
Allegedly it works as an HD still camera, but no combination of button-pressing, colored lights or anything I've tried has produced a single still photo.

My gripe then becomes one with the vendor: NEWDIGI CO.,LTD.
Against my better judgement I ordered one of these things just to see if I could figure it out. I ordered new and received a tracking number and delivery date. So far so good.

The delivery date came and went so I plugged in the tracking number and was informed that the delivery method used did not provide for item tracking. I wrote to the vendor and received a very quick response to the effect that my package had been delivered -to their agent in California, where it was "delayed in customs."

Nearly a week after it was supposed to arrive I received my item and was puzzled to receive a Styrofoam box vehemently wrapped in strapping tape. Cutting it open, the cavity contained a loose collection of wires and gizmos inside plastic baggies. There was no invoice and I didn't know what I had received until I started picking through the jumble and saw the shiny silver logo printed on the face of the camera.

I then noticed fingerprints all over the parts and realised that far from being NEW like I had ordered, I received something that had obviously been used and most likely returned.

Then I tried using it.

Then I wrote a very unfavorable review, I cited the lateness, the fact that I ordered and paid for a new item and received used and the fact that the damned thing simply did not work.

Then I requested a refund.

Today, a week later, I received the following passive-aggressive response from the vendor, which I reprint exactly as received:

"You have received your proudcts now . , why you left a bad feedback for us for unreceived products reason ?
do you know 11 people and their famlies living on ths account ? do you know this account is their hope ?
God is watching you man . Please change the feedback for us.
thank you !"

Are they really trying to guilt-trip me into changing my review? SERIOUSLY?

4.0 out of 5 stars #3 808 Camera, August 18, 2012
This review is from: Car Alarm Remote Keychain DVR Camera (Camera)
Maybe I just got lucky but this is a #3 - one of the better knock-off, no-brand 808 style Chinese Junk Cameras.

720x480 avi, 30fps, 352.8 kbps audio, SUNPLUS microprocessor. In the world of 808 cameras, these specs make all the difference.

Works and records video, audio and pics better than you might expect from a $10 item.

Again, maybe I just got lucky. Your mileage may vary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Cheap Toy, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Car Alarm Remote Keychain DVR Camera (Camera)
The product description for this was pretty much non-existent, so I made no assumptions other than what the product title claims: a photo&video camera that is shaped like a car alarm remote keychain.

There were 2 slips of documentation that shipped with this device. The first was a small legitimate-looking manual with what appears to be Chinese on one side and machine translated English on the other. The second seemed to be a hastily cut and printed slip with more specific instructions in proper English.

There are some discrepancies between the included manuals and my own experiences:
- The proper English manual suggests that it should take 4-5 hours to fully charge the device and once fully charged, the device activity light would either turn off or stay solid (basically stop blinking in either case). I let the device charge for 12+ hours and it remained blinking the entire time.
- The poor English manual claims that the photos would be 1280x960 but they are actually taller (hopefully not upscaled).

The pictures are 1280x1024 JPG with quality of 67/100.

The videos are 720x480 JPEG format @ 30fps & 3802Kbps with PCM format audio @ 16KHz & 256Kbps all inside an AVI container.

Photo & video quality is terrible in low light but good in well-lit environments.
Audio quality is poor and only really useful for conversations within 5ft in my opinion.

I'm hoping that I will get at least 1 month out of this. I will update this review if(when) the device stops working.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite cool, while it worked, September 24, 2012
This review is from: Car Alarm Remote Keychain DVR Camera (Camera)
While it did work, it was decent. I think it lasted three weeks before it just didn't come on again, tried everything.
I wouldn't waste my time with this, I'd spend more and get something built better and with more reviews.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, July 10, 2012
My wife got me this camera as a gift so I did not get to try it out until after the 30 day return period had past. I wanted it to use to take video from places where I would not want to risk a more expensive camera. Ex. The front fork of my motorcycle. The image quality was not bad, that being the pro. Here are the cons. The manual on the CD has been so poorly translated that it's close to useless. The OS on two different computers (one W7 and the other XP) would not recognize the camera. The vendor contact, in his infinite wisdom, suggested I forgot to load the driver on the CD. There were only 2 files on the CD and both were documents. The first was the manual in English (or something close to it) and the second was the manual in Chinese.

Here is an example of the manual: "When you connect it with USB port, a portable disk mark will be seen after several seconds. Red indicator always brights, yellow indicator light will be from flashed quickly to always brights." There is no yellow indicator light. My favorite was the section on the non-existent RESET button. "Use a slim pole to press the RESET button and then finish one reset operation" With a camera the size of a large postage stamp, a "slim pole" is not exactly the tool I would use. Of course it made no difference as there was no reset button.

After much experimentation, I was able to record video, but could only view it by removing the card from the camera and opening the file with an external card reader connected to my computer. I was intrigued by the fact that they manufacturer put a viewfinder on this camera that is too small to be of any use even if the image one sees through it was in focus. Bottom line, if you are expecting an easy "Plug and Play" device, this is not what you want.

1.0 out of 5 stars worthless documentation, worthless, March 3, 2013
seller establishes high expectations. true it is small and inexpensive but, it is impossible to figure out how to use it. There is a whole industry of you tubes trying to explain operations and they all fail as well.

after hours and hours of hit and miss figured out how to change the date

can not eliminate the date stamp, and this ruins all the videos so basically worthless to me.

can not see the miniscule signal light to tell if it is recording when starting so every single video has a shot of my face looking at the camera with a very puzzled very up close look up my nose.

finally the the view finder is way off. If it was a gun site you would shoot the fellow next to you.

Had a chance to shoot the very elusive key deer, got a lovely picture of the woods, no deer...worthless.

Car Alarm Remote Keychain DVR Camera