Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 18, 2010
Sandra Cisneros storytelling ability kept me enthralled throughout the entire novel. Her characters are colorful, funny, poignant, arrogant, sympathetic, judgmental, forgiving and oh so real in their human foibles and triumphs.
I loved this book. I grew up in a family of nine kids and completely related to Lala's experiences as a member of a very large family. I love the family histories recounted by Lala, especially, The Awful Grandmother's story, with interruptions and revisions from The Awful Grandmother herself. Are these family histories fact or fiction? It doesn't matter. They are darn good stories. "Ceuntame algo, aunque sea una mentira." "Tell me a story, even if it's a lie."
on April 10, 2015
I can relate to this story a lot. Although I was born in Los Angeles, it resonates with me.
on October 22, 2002
I thorougthly enjoyed this epic novel. It is not a quick read but a thoughtful, careful spun story about multigenerations of Mexicans and growing up Mexican American in Chicago. Cisneros' prose is concise and flows like the rebozo. She gives you just the right amount of verbage to appreciate the story line. One of the best books that I have read in quite a while. Thank you Sandra for this wonderful, charming, elegant novel about being Mexican.
on July 3, 2003
I loved this book so much and I highly recomend it. Cisneros has a way of weaving back and forth between reality and fantasy and creating characters and experiences that are enchanting and delightful. I love how she includes informational background at the end of each chapter. And her lyrical prose that weaves together Spanish and English, bounces with life. As a Mexican American myself I was delighted to find a novel that brought be back to my roots and moved me so deeply with its close depiction of a life and family similar to that of my own. This is a special treasure!
on April 1, 2004
I absolutely loved this book! Cisneros' way with words touched up an old painting of mine that's been in my heart, unseen, for years. There were so many things that I had not thought about since childhood, regarding my family and culture that she brought back to life in this book. I can see how this might be a tough read for Non-Latinos, but it is a nice peek into the Mexican-American culture nonetheless.
I gave this book 5 stars because I was glued to it. I laughed and cried and went back to reread because I was so touched at times.
Arriba Caramelo!
on October 24, 2015
really loved the novel. I recommended it to my sister and an aunt.
on January 14, 2010
I started a reading binge with Caramelo. Cisneros is famed for her young people's book, Casa on Mango Street, and she definitely takes the adult plunge with this hefty book.

I wanted so much to love Caramelo. I can't say I didn't like it, but it was hard to get through. If Gilb builds poetry into his stories, Cisneros' talent is poetic lines that every few pages make you start to hunt for them. It helped me turn the pages. This is a novel I think that her many fans would love.
on October 15, 2014
she'll hits you where it's familial and familiar. great read.
on October 11, 2003
Caramelo is a surprisingly dense, wonderfully detailed and sensual novel that deals with the eternal theme of family and love. Ms. Cisneros' writing is magical and an experience not to be missed. Here again is another novel that, although highly praised, has not gained the readership it deserves. This would be a wonderful addition to reading lists of any kind, and certainly takes its place as one of the richest works of Hispanic fiction ever written.
on June 22, 2015
As always with this author, very good!