Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on March 24, 2009
This is the most frustrating & least helpful book I've ever read on any subject, ever.

I've read & understood texts on everything from software engineering, to military strategy, to electromechanics and audio circuitry design and repair, to wood furniture refinishing, to home repair - but this book is a total failure.

The reason: It is TOTALLY written for PEOPLE WHO ALREADY KNOW all the "slick cardshark jargon". THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR PEOPLE NEW TO CARD GAMES. If you don't ALREADY KNOW HOW TO PLAY, this book won't even TRY to teach you!

Basically, Amazon user Gadgester's review is dead-on: I'll repeat his opening and closing statements, cause I can't say it any better:

"Simply put, this is absolutely one of the worst instructional books I've read. If you know nothing (or next to nothing) about card games -- like I still don't after reading this book twice -- avoid this very confusing book. ... I haven't read a book as frustrating as this one in a long time. I highly recommend you stay away from it. "
22 comments53 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This book has some fun games! It has popular games like Hearts, Rummy, and Cribbage. It also has games that I have always wanted to learn how to play, like Euchre and Canasta. In all, the book discusses over twenty games.
The layout of the book is a discussion about games. Even if you have felt confused before in reading through card game rules, this book is an excellent introduction to playing card games. It goes over everything that happens in the game, from the rules, to strategy and tips, to history of the game-a fascinating book.
Because it goes in-depth into each of the games, you will not find one place in the chapter that has a concise list of the rules. The rules are scattered throughout the discussion of the chapter. I found it useful to check a book of rules from the library to read along with this book.
0Comment37 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2009
I wasted big money on this book. The author doesn't bother to explain (in simple terms) ANYTHING!!

I can't add to the other 0ne-star reviews here....both of them nailed it on the head.

If you are new to cards and want to learn....get another book...browse..find anything but this.....you're just going to get confused and frustrated........
on February 26, 2013
The material presented was ok. I was looking for more illustrations along with the explanations. I will utilize the text merely as a quick reference if needed.
HALL OF FAMEon April 4, 2001
Let's look at an example. The following is taken from the first page of the chapter on Hearts:
"The game [Hearts] revolves around tricks. In a trick, everyone takes turns playing one card. Whoever plays the highest card in the suit led (the suit of the first card played) picks up all the cards played. The person who wins the trick leads anything he likes from his remaining cards to the next trick, and the process repeats itself until all the cards have been played."
I simply could not understand this paragraph no matter how many times I read it, until I consulted a friend good at Hearts. This is typical of the arcane writing throughout this book. It's simply not easy for a dummies. In fact my friend was totally lost when he read this paragraph. The way he described it to me was just so much clearer.
The book does cover a wide range of card games. Unfortunately it does a very poor job at teaching you how to play these games. Often the author discusses strategies without even explaining what things are and what the rules are, leaving you totally clueless and obfuscated.
22 comments45 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 1999
This book covers the basics for understanding simple to hard card games. Having a baptist upbringing and being an only child I've missed out on learning how to play card games. This book is very easy to understand and now when I play card games on the computer like Hearts, I now know how to win. The rules for card games have been updated to what average people now currently play.
0Comment9 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2008
This is a great reference book to have in your home. Before I purchased this book, there were many occasions where questions came up about the rules and scoring of card games. I wished I would have had that book then.
on May 13, 2014
easy read and explanations for card games. had fun with family playing cards and finding new games to play. Fun.
on July 1, 2014
I am a beginning pinocle player (four players) and I didn't find the book to be very helpful. I thought that if I "read" the rules etc that I would "get it", but the book didn't really get into enough detail. It covered two player and three player, but there may have been one short paragraph on four player. I put the book on the shelf and it may help with another card game down the road.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2009
Although an avid bridge, etc. player, I didn't know how to play pinochle. After being invited to a pinochle group, I purchased this to learn how before having to actually play. It was easy to follow, and definitely helped. It will also be a great resource if I need to learn any other card games (except Bridge, which is a separate book).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse