Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Card Weaving
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon December 14, 2000
This book has one of the best explanations of how to do card weaving that I have seen. Crockett has you weaving within an hour or so after reading the directions. My only reservation concerns her instructions for winding the warp for the first project. I would recommend that beginners start with a short warp to minimize tangling. After the first project you advance to other methods, and later in the book there is a way to warp which does away with the problem of tangling. Overall, she gives clear explanations of both the mechanics of card-weaving and pattern design. The book is more than a just a how-to manual. It has sections on the history of this ancient art, and explores the contemporary use of this medium by fiber artists. It's the sort of book that, if you see it in a bookstore, you want to buy it. There are a lot of gorgeous color photogaphs so it's really beautiful to look at. The overall flavor of the book design and photos is contemporary. I suppose that in 30 years it might seem dated, in the same way that textile books from the 70s often seem dated to us now. However, some of those books still attract the eye, and I predict that in a few decades this one will probably do the same.
0Comment|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2002
This is a great first book for the tablet weaver. It covers the basics in enough detail to start weaving right away. It follows a logical progression to more advanced methods and gives some simple to follow patterns.
Pros: clearly written, short and to the point. Good examples. Gets you going quickly.
Cons: Forgets to mention details like tangles (they do happen!), not enough info on pattern making, uses a simple threading pattern that may confuse some weavers as they research patterns (the book uses arrows to indicate threading, instead of the usual S or Z).
All in all, a great book for the beginning weaver. Not much there for the more advanced weaver.
on October 1, 1999
I wanted to try card weaving, but always got stuck during setup. This book walked me through threading in a way I could actually understand and use. The pattern drafts are appealing and easy enough for a beginner to accomplish. I got ideas for extending beyond what the book itself showed. This is a wonderful, user-friendly intro to card-weaving!
on September 20, 2004
Easy to read, easy to understand, clear description - technical and basic. All you need to get started. I strongly recommend it.
on July 12, 2006
I just started card weaving this past spring. I searched for books on the subject and came across this one from a recommendation from several web sites. I am so glad that it has been reprinted. This is a great book for us beginners learning card weaving. The pictures are clear, she touches on some great techniques, and her patterns are really pretty. She walks you through several techniques, and touches on some others that are available. The directions are clear and to the point. The pictures are great. She even has examples at the end of the book of some things that you can do with the bands once they are woven. I would definitely recommend this book for beginner to intermediate level weavers.
on June 8, 2011
this book explained the process of card weaving so that within 4 days of reading it, i had built my own loom and cut my own cards, and was card weaving.

as a SCA member, this was the perfect guide and bridge to learn the weaving process to make trim, and highly detailed but functional straps and usable textiles.

included was the history of card weaving from geographic regions, its difference, its common threads, from history with museum samples to present. there was advice on materials, appearance, use, and production tips, with plenty of examples. the inside contains pictures and diagrams, all black and white, but thats why its affordable.

what more could one ask for?

happy weaving,
kevin
on January 2, 2011
As another reviewer mentioned, Crockett's book is extraordinarily well-designed for its purpose, which is to teach the basics of card (or "tablet") weaving. I learned tablet weaving from this book, which comes with a set of tablet weaving cards, so the only other thing you will need to get started is some yarn. Crockett even throws in a few historical tidbits; not as many as I'd like, but some. Overall, a very good first book on the subject.
on March 28, 2006
When I bought this book I wanted to learn to card weave, it has helped me so much that I've woven strips and made them into tote bags and have sold two already. WOW!! So I rate this book the best.

on May 27, 2013
Candace Crockett is a superb teacher and as such you can come up to speed with card weaving in no time by utilizing this book. Peter Collingwood's book is a good followup to this one but get this one first because it gets you going. I have adapted Crockett's techniques to my rigid heddle loom since I do not want to be tethered to anything when I weave. Many people do this and if you do, remember that the threading direction may be different than what is stated in the book. I like Collingwood's terminology of "S" and "Z" threading direction better because it doesn't matter from which viewpoint it is determined. Crockett uses "left to right" and "right to left" which does matter and therefore can cause confusion. Just beware of this and adjust accordingly. It is still the most valuable resource out there and will get you going in no time. Also available is a dated but no less valuable video that she made so you can actually see how she turns the cards, etc. It is a helpful accessory to the book.
on August 20, 2013
I got this book because I am interested in learning more ancient ways of weaving. I am a weaver on various types of looms, and thought card weaving might be interesting to explore as it's represented around the world and in very cool patterns.

The book is set up giving a history of card weaving, some nice background and examples through the ages and in various countries, and then getting into basics and more complicated patterns and techniques.

If you're interested in learning the basics of tablet/card weaving, this is a pretty good book and offers more to the weaver than just patterns. It's a cool way to see how a specific craft links us back to ancient peoples and cultures.