6,642 of 6,977 people found the following review helpful
on January 31, 2012
This is not a review about playing Cards Against Humanity, it's a review of the fallout endured from playing Cards Against Humanity. Take it as a warning, if you will.

If you aren't a horrible person already, you will soon be. You will play Cards Against Humanity, and as others have said, you will be shocked, appalled, and worst of all, you will learn and adapt. You'll reach for your smartphone and search for terms you've drawn such as "The Übermensch", "Heteronormativity", and "The Three-Fifths Compromise". You will commit these and many other newly-learned words to memory.

And that's where it all comes crashing down.

At first, you might allow "front butt" to casually wander its way into a conversation here and there. As more of your subconscious fights to unleash the trauma, you'll find yourself uttering "nipple blades" and "mouth herpes" in the most unacceptable of times. You'll visit the Cards Against Humanity website and bomb them with suggestions for new cards like "Cutting the cheese at a funeral" and "Scissoring".

Soon, you will meet up with new people to inflict Cards Against Humanity upon them and they'll be hooked. You will receive random voicemails and texts, asking for another hit of that "8 oz. of sweet, Mexican black tar heroin", and you will comply, because you're just as hooked as they are. They'll bring new friends in to freshen up the game...you will feel a rush as the look of shame crosses their innocent eyes as they win a round by playing "Amputees" against your "White People Like _____".

"I was just throwing that card away!" they'll proclaim, but you know the sad truth.

You will buy the expansion pack. You will host parties where you play through every card in both boxes. You'll wonder where the time went. Your face will hurt from laughing so much. Your friends will buy their own sets, and the infection will be passed on.

A team of rescue workers will find you you weeks later in your closet, frazzled, emaciated, and stinking from "Soiling Yourself", because you just couldn't stop with playing Cards Against Humanity against yourself. The light of day will strike your eyes and you'll gaze up at your saviors with pensive anticipation...

"Wanna play?"
8585 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2014
Ever wondered what a grown-up version of Apples to Apples would look like? Well, Cards Against Humanity is the perfect response to that desire.

If you've never played Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity, let me fill you in on how CAH works. There are Black Cards and there are White Cards. At the start of each round, one chosen player (The Judge) will select a Black Card from the stack. On these cards will be a phrase or question that needs to be answered/completed. This is where white cards come in. Players have 10 White Cards, which they use to complete the Black Card's question(s)/blank(s). After each player (besides The Judge) has chosen the best White Card in their hand to go with the Black Card, all players turn their White Cards in to The Judge. From here, The Judge reviews the White Cards and decides his/her favorite pairing of the White and Black Cards. The player who played the Judge's chosen White Card gets a point (if that matters to your group) and the gameplay starts all over.

Let me give you an example with word-for-word examples of what you'll find on the Black and White cards.

1. The Judge plays a Black Card that says: "Life for the Native Americans was forever changed after the white man introduced them to ____________."
2. All players (exc. the Judge) choose a White Card.
3. After everyone has chosen their White Card, the Judge reviews the responses: "Smallpox Blankets", "Drinking Alone", "A Can of Whoop-Ass", and "Take-Backsies"
(Before you read these and think I'm an awful person, these are actual White Cards that I have seen played on the aforementioned Black Card)
4. The Judge chooses "Drinking Alone" and the player who picked this White Card wins the round.

This game is great fun, but keep in mind that there are some edgy/racy/raunchy/explicit/graphic/vulgar White and Black cards. In fact, that's the point.

If you don't have the right sense of humor to laugh at a card combination like "Lifetime presents: __Pretending to Care__, the story of __Not Giving a S*** about the Third World__", then this is not a game that I would recommend for you.

This is not a children's game, and this is not a game to play with Grandma (unless Grandma has a really effed up and awesome sense of humor). But if you and your friends enjoy laughing at the darker side of life, art, and pop culture... This is the perfect game for your next party.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 19, 2013
So much fun, this game works so well with the type of humor my social circle enjoys. Also, we are probably going to hell.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A bad, bad game for bad, bad people. You're probably a bad person, but might not even realize it, having hidden that side of yourself for so long, sweet innocence is no longer an act, but your reality. This game will release that inner demon.

Take the black card, read it aloud. Everyone fills in the answers from their white cards. Groans, laughter, ugh, etc. Judge chooses the winner, who then takes the black card. Get the right number of black cards, and you win! Just like Apples to Apples, but goes better with Tequila.

We play this with the kids and the grandparents. Yep. Age 18-75. They both end up looking up about the same number of items. Occasionally there is a little embarrassment as the 18 year old realizes gramma knows EXACTLY and ENTHUSIASTICALLY what she is talking about, and vice verse. There are no secrets in this game.

If you want to take it to a more disgusting level, which is certainly not appropriate for kids and grandparents (and CAH is?, hmmm, have I already fallen?) you can try one of the 3rd party expansions, like Crabs Adjust Humidity http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=crabs%20adjust%20humidity&sprefix=crabs%2Ctoys-and-games.

There are also templates available on the web to make your own custom sets.

Hint: Use smile.amazon.com to purchase, and you may end up in one of the upper levels of h e l l instead of straight to the bottom. Remember, it's for the kids.
979 of 1,112 people found the following review helpful
on April 16, 2012
I'm pretty sure that owning this game is the only reason I get invited to parties these days. Worth it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 8, 2013
So much fun, but don't play this with your parents, children or new people..they might get the wrong impression of you...
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2014
Holy wow. My sister bought this game long, long ago (realistically, maybe two or three years; I honestly have no clue when she did) and by product of association and proximity, I ended up playing it with her and some other family (thankfully, siblings only). It was awesome.

Fast forward a few years.

Enter: college life.

Enter: extra spending money.

Enter: "Hey guys, have you ever heard of Cards Against Humanity? No? Well, have I got something to tell you about!"

Enter: I bought the game.

Eventually I got a group of friends (five of us in total) to sit down and play a round. We went to fifteen black cards to win (I won because I'm hilarious or evil or something. I'm still not sure, really), and everyone had a great time. The format is similar to Apples to Apples, but the different playing styles (the basic style is still my favorite) keep the game interesting and unique. Even the issue of constantly running over the same cards is addressed by the company releasing multiple expansion packs.

As great, wonderful, and life changing as the game is, I do have a few caveats for those interested.

First, is that this game is absolutely, horribly, disgustingly, beautifully, brilliantly, gloriously filthy. Seriously. I'm warning you here and now that this game is ridiculously warped. Are there worse things you could do than play this game? Probably not.

Second, as a result of the glorious filth that is CAH, playing this game, especially for extended periods of time, will probably cause you to adapt to its filthiness and make you think of the phrases on the cards, and possibly use those phrases in real life. You will probably find yourself making a joke and then realize that you have unfortunately just made a horrible, awful, very bad CAH inspired joke in front of a professor, parent, friend, or co-worker. That can be awkward. But, it's so very, very worth it, because it's hilarious to pull that crap.

Third, be careful who you play this with. It has the potential to end friendships before they even start.

Fourth, this game is incredibly addicting. Like, it's more addicting than whatever you think is addictive. Seriously, think of something you know is addictive. Yeah. way more addictive than that.

In conclusion, stop reading reviews and buy the game already. You'll hate (thank) me later.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
2,098 of 2,534 people found the following review helpful
on December 3, 2011
I wanted this game, but it was sold out and 3rd party sellers were charging $70-$100 for what is usually a $25 dollar game. DON"T DO IT. You don't have to go without! Go to the manufacturers website. There is a version on PDF you can print at home or take to a printer and have your own temporary or trial version for $10. I did this yesterday, and my friends and I played last night. It was great fun! I still plan to buy a full version when they are available again at normal pricing, but I couldn't wait to try it out. You can also print a copy and give it as a gift with a little note saying the full version is coming. STILL it'll cost you less than folding and buying from a reseller. This is a Creative Commons game, and IMHO ripping people off is against the whole idea of Creative Commons.
3333 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 11, 2013
The game was restocked just in time for the "Blizzard of 2013" and we played for about six hours while periodically taking breaks to go outside and check on the snowstorm's progress. The game is clever and insanely funny. I'm sure we'll be buying the expansion packs and I can't wait to play it with other friends!
review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
First, let me say that I am 67 years old, and did not want to play this game with my sons and grandsons, but they wouldn't let me alone until I caved in. (This is just to sorta protect me from people who will think I'm terrible for playing this with my kids and grandkids)...Second...I haven't laughed so much in years. I couldn't read some of the answers out loud, because the kids rigged the deck with my question and their answers every time I would leave the table to go check on the turkey..But I laughed until I cried..This game is totally disgusting, but now my sisters and I play, along with a select group of friends. My husband does not think it's funny at all, bless his heart