Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Careers in International Affairs
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 8, 1999
We stock this in our career center for our students and it is almost always one of the most requested books. This book is a good starting point for students who "want to do something international", but who are just trying to figure out what that means. The chapters introductions by "international professionals" are especially useful.
on May 2, 2003
I expected this book to be an overview of the international affairs field, but it proved to be much more. The careers and paths available are well-written and -described, and there are a number of careers that, although not obvious, suit people with an interest in international affairs well. In addition, companies, government organizations, and NGO's that employ people in international affairs are listed along with contact information. It's a well-rounded book that is honest about both the upsides and downsides of each career.
on August 6, 2005
I bought this book to explore the different options i had as far as careers in IR are concerned. Granted this isnt neccessarily for people who are looking for jobs that include international travel (though a good amount of these jobs do) but only those who seek careers (most of them business or gov related) with int'l dimensions. That being said it was an excellent place to start and had a lot of good ideas. It also has a good amount of contact information about places and tips on getting the job once you've found it. I found the book to be exactly what I was looking for, a great tool for looking at all my options without being too broad.
on July 15, 2001
I found all the answers about the different jobs available in a career in International Relations. What's great is that I not only got descriptions of the different jobs, but I also got listings of all the companies involved. Now when I graduate with my master's, I am going straight to this book for the companies I wish to send my resume to. Great read and reference!
I’ve had this book lying around for about three years. Now that I’m close to being done with my Masters in International Relations, logically, I decided to pull it out and read it. My first piece of advice is “Read this book before you embark on a graduate degree or even as an undergraduate. Reading this book at that point will hopefully provide students with direction and common sense advice to students who want a career in the diverse field of international affairs. This book mixes advice from graduates of the program at Georgetown with contact information for a variety of companies from the government, not for profits, to businesses.

One really can’t go wrong in reading this book. But I highly recommend reading it earlier than I did lest you come to the harsh realization that you lack the experience or foreign language skills that many of these organizations covet. In my case, I found reading this book to be a rather sobering wakeup call that made me question many of the decisions that I had made in my life. In conclusion, Careers in International Affairs is a practical, common sense guide to careers in the international arena that just might make a person reexamine their life.
on December 28, 2007
This is a great little tool for those seeking a career in the field of international affairs. The book is geared toward those entering the job market for the first time, recent college graduates, but it is also helpful for those returning to the job market or those changing fields. This has been an enlightening read.
on May 3, 2016
Very very informative often read it when I'm feeling overwhelmed with my future, as an undergraduate IS student, it's a no frill all business guide that if you follow to the T will have you shaped to a an international professional in no time.
on May 11, 2009
This book was very helpful to me. I am an undergraduate student who is interested in a career as a Foreign Service Officer. The book discussed graduate school as well as internships and their importance. There are also helpful essays written by FSOs talking about their careers in the Foreign Service. I also liked the listing of the many departments and what they do.
on May 6, 2013
While it is a few years old this book is still extremely helpful. There are essays detailing how people got to where they are in different career areas as well as resources to check out for jobs you might be interested in. There are detailed explanations of the different government agencies, as well as explanations of many NGOs, businesses, consulting groups, and research institutions. Very helpful and informative read.

Edit:

I should add that there is excellent advice on networking, attending an interview, choosing a grad school and how to go about deciding what you want to do for a career.
on January 5, 2013
My wife really love it. She read it in just a few days. The book was very interesting for her.