Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 22, 2014
I have always loved Jeffrey Archer's books, and I have read every one. I really enjoyed the first book in this series, although from the beginning I didn't like the way each chapter was solely about one person. I have read every book in the series, but I have grown to heartily dislike the cliff hanger endings.
To have to wait another year or so have closure is ridiculous. When I started reading this book, I barely could remember what the last book was about, much less pick up on the storyline.does he really expect us to remember all the details about the adopted daughter Jessica from over a year since we last read about her. This book has the most ridiculous cliffhanger ending of all! It is not provocative and clever. It is dumb and extremely annoying. I think a series should always have some closure on some level, and it can still leave story lines to be pursued. Frustrating. The whole book was frustrating.
I am going to wait until he is all done writing this series, and then I will check it out at the library. I am not purchasing any more.
1212 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 28, 2014
Those of you who have read the first three books in the series (you should read them in order) will know that at the end of each one Archer leaves you with a cliffhanger (I call them "Clifton" hangers) of an ending so you have to wait on tenterhooks for the next book in the series to be released find the answer. At the end of the last book ("Best Kept Secret") we were left wondering if Sebastian Clifton or his best friend Bruno had been killed in a fatal car accident. I would like to tell you what happens but can't do so because the outcome is important to the plot of this book.

Harry is getting used to being a best-selling author of detective novels both sides of the Atlantic. Emma is becoming increasingly involved with the decision of the Board of the Barrington Shipping Company to build a luxury liner, the MV Buckingham, at a time when Transatlantic air travel is becoming the normal mode of business travel. Sir Giles Barrington MP is becoming a more important member of the Shadow Cabinet and is planning to marry again after his disastrous marriage to Lady Virginia Fenwick. Harry and Emma's adopted daughter, Priscilla grows up to become a very talented artist but has never been told the real secret of her birth.

In the previous book the Cliftons foil Don Pedro Martinez's efforts to import a huge amount of near-perfect Nazi counterfeit five pound notes hidden in a Rodin statue. Martinez's vendetta to destroy the Cliftons and Barringtons is central to this book. This time he is ably supported by his sons, a former SS officer, Karl Lunsdorf and the IRA. He also uses the notorious Major Alex Fisher (who bullied Giles and Harry at school and nearly got Giles killed at Tobruk) as his proxy on the Board of Barrington Shipping to destroy the firm's plans to build the new luxury liner. Giles' ex wife Lady Virginia Fenwick, is still around and always happy to add her particular brand of poison to the family fortunes.

All of this makes the foundation for exciting times in the lives of the Cliftons and Barringtons. While most of the characters were in the previous book, Archer adds a couple of interesting and influential new ones. Cedric Hardcastle is a dour and successful owner of a Yorkshire based Merchant Bank who becomes a member of the Board of Barrington Shipping and has to decide who to support to become the next chairman of the board: Emma Clifton or Major Alex Fisher? Priscilla's future father-in-law, Robert Bingham, who made his fortune as a manufacturer of fish paste, is another larger than life character who gets involved with the family fortunes.

Jeffrey Archer is a consummate story-teller and this series continues to display his skills in writing easy-reading and page-turning family-based stories which twist and turn all the time. If you have read the first books in the series this is a must-read which I am sure you will enjoy. My only concern was that most of the baddies in this story are carried over from the previous one.

What about the "Clifton" hanger ending? Of course there is one and you can see it building up during the latter part of the book. Of course it leaves you on tenterhooks until the next book is released in about a year. The series keeps on going and going (this one only took us from 1957 to 1964) so it seems there may still be some more Clifton Chronicles to come.
on March 21, 2014
Was it good? Yes! HOWEVER..... this is my problem. The time between book # 3 and BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR, book #4, was MUCH TOO LONG!!!!!!! It was hard to recover in my mind what had happened so long ago, and now I have to wait until 2015 for book #5. Will I read #5, YES, however, I will be wary of reading another author who has a series of books not completed all at once. I'm 73 years old and hope to live long enough to find out what happens after the ????????????? at the end of book #4!
on March 24, 2014
I enjoy a good build-up to an end of a story, but this is ridiculous. To have to wait a whole year before we finally find out the end really angers the reader. I doubt if I will even remember this book in a year and so I will most likely drop Archer off of my preferred authors list.
on April 8, 2014
I read it more out of a sense of duty than anything else. You get to the point where you have invested enough in a set of characters that you are willing to plow through the episode, no matter how poorly written. That said, Archer clearly phoned this one in. Nothing elegant about it, just a lot of violent plot twists and characters going through the motions. As a long-time Archer fan, this was a real disappointment.
on June 7, 2014
I was very disappointed in this book. I will not read the last book in the chronicles. The plot was not interesting nor the characters developed as they should have been. The "cliffhanger" ending was annoying not riveting.
on August 4, 2014
I couldn't wait to receive this "next installment" and wasn't that impressed at all when I got into the book. I pre-bought this book and started reading it as soon as it became available on my kindle. Nothing much happened to continue to saga along and what happened was just mediocore. AND now we have to wait almost another year b4 the book continues. NOT a fan of this kind of writing. My favorite book by Jeffrey Archer is AS THE CROW FLIES . It's a great saga complete all in one book. Sorry I couldn't give this a better rating but I felt it was basically just fill in stuff to continue on.
on March 31, 2014
This latest book, Be Careful what you Wish for, is a rip off. Interesting story line, but a trick to get you to buy his next book to find out how the story ends. Unprofessional ploy that reeks of money grabbing. Cheap shot.
on March 15, 2014
I did really enjoy reading this book, but I felt ripped off that it left the story in an unfinished place. If I had it to do over again, I would avoid buying or reading this book until the sequel comes out (in 2015 according to the ending of this book). Note, that although the other books in the series left you hanging from one book to the next, this is the one where I felt that the story was too incomplete.
on March 25, 2014
Is there anything more melodramatic than a tale of the British upper crust, fraught with worry over their fortunes, and facing the most ingenuous and evil foes out for revenge. I think not in this case. Where is Charles Dickens when you need him? He, at least, can write.

The Cliftons/Barringtons are ever so noble and well meaning, while their enemies are cunning, devious plotters bent on doing them all great harm. And on and on it goes! This book is a piece of commercial drivel, and I could kick myself for spending money on it. It will only encourage more such books from Archer. I see that the next volume of these chronicles is due for publication in 2015. He must be taking a vacation, because I can't imagine why it would take him a year to put together another piece of work like this one. Save your money, unless you are really into sophomoric melodrama!