Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

Format: Audio CDChange

VINE VOICEon December 11, 2004
In a year where John Meyer and Jason Mraz have scored big with quality songs and a "boy meets guitar" image, it is a travesty that Marc Broussard has not experienced similar sucess. Maybe the reason is that Broussard's label chose to release "Where You Are" as its lead single, even though it is nowhere close to the best song on this amazing album. Maybe it is because while Broussard's voice - chock full of Louisiana soul - is second to none, it may be a bit too 'raw' for radio. Whatever the reason, Marc Broussard may be the best artist few people have heard of.

But he fully deserves to be 'heard of!' I do not take my proclomation that this is the best album of '04 lightly, but this CD really does deserve to grace your CD shelf.

First, there is Broussard's vocal talent. I cannot truthfully think of but a handful of vocalists that match Broussard in combining pure soul with a rock-and-roll grit. (Sometimes, it is Stevie Wonder; others, it is Joe Cocker.) Next, there are the songs. Rare is the album one can listen to all the way through and encounter no 'filler' material. This disc is a rarity in the sense that while the strong tracks are infectious, even the weaker tracks beat the pants off those you would hear on most albums. In other words, the CD is completely listenable, and Broussard's songwriting talent (he co-wrote all the tracks) is obvous.

My favorites are Home (a southern-drenched and scorchingly funky rock tune), Rocksteady (a poppish tune with an uneniable melody) Come Around (an old-school R&B track that SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE FIRST SINGLE!!!) and Hope For Me Yet (the obligatory but necessary pop ballad THAT SHOULD BE THE SECOND SINGLE!!!).

Good album. So stop reading my review, and buy it already!
VINE VOICEon August 13, 2005
Marc Broussard, along with Will Hoge and Michael Tolcher, is part of a trio of southern singer/songwriter/performers who is sparking a rebirth of "The Southern" performer as the magnetic point for great music that hasn't been seen since the early 1970's when the Allman Brothers, et. al., were in their infancy.

Marc's greatest strength is a voice that is part growl, part syrup, and part silky pleasure. His songs aren't the type that are either hit or miss, all of them are good, but some, such as "Come Around" and "Rocksteady," lack the depth of "Home" or "The Beauty of You."

As a performer, he is at another level than the studio CD's communicate to the listener, sort of like drinking a "hot totty" with ones favorite dark Jamaican rum versus mere rum flavor added to ones coffee.

Would I buy the CD again? Sure would! And, I'd recommend it to any and everyone who like the sound of Southern rock. I'd also recommend you take-in one of his shows and grab one of his "live" CD's.
on August 4, 2004
Let me start by saying that I love the man's voice. I was not too thrilled with the studio sound on the previous release, Momentary Setback, but some of the songs came across really well, even under all of the studio trickery.

That being said, I'd heard that Carencro would be a much more organic sounding CD, and that I completely agree with. This CD, music wise, is very, very good. Lyric-wise, however, I feel this CD is lacking alot. I know some of them are meant to be feel-good songs, but I can't help but wonder if some of his lyrics were written for the pop crowd. That being said, he has one of the most powerful voices I've ever heard, especially in a 22-year old white boy. And he has more soul than a lot of people twice his age. So I give him huge props for that. Here's the breakdown:

Home - If the rest of the CD sounded this damn good, I'd be saying this CD is one of the top CD's of the decade. Brilliant, brilliant work. His voice gave me chills, the music is top notch, and the song is wonderful. 10/10

Rocksteady - Maybe I'm just not a big party person, but this song makes me feel embarrassed to hear sometimes. I know, this is a much-beloved song around here, but I cannot latch on to this one single bit. 2/10

The Beauty of Who You Are - Very soulful, very smooth song. I love to listen to this, regardless of whether or not it sounds like a boy-band song. Great stuff...... 8/10

Save Me - Good song. Has a good rhythm and really moves well. 7/10

Where You Are - I don't know why he chose this as a single because, as someone else put it, it doesn't sound like him at all. It also is one of the weaker tracks on the CD. But, it might bring him enough of the younger fans to make an impact. I hope so 4/10

Come Around - Another good song, good rhythm track, very good vocally 7/10

Lonely Night in Georgia - Damn, this song is nice. This is another one of those brilliant performances that just makes my hair stand on end. The only thing lacking is that I feel he could have gone just a little bit farther, vocally. I guess we have to wait for the live version 9.5/10

Saturday - See "Rocksteady" 2/10

The Wanderer - I would like to say that I like this one slightly better on this CD than "Momentary Setback". But it's close. The end really sold me on this version, though. That man has more soul than any other white boy I know. 9/10

Hope For Me Yet - Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Good lyrics, good melody, good everything. 9/10

Let Me Leave - This song really moved me the first time I heard it. His voice just seemed to hover over the music in a way that is very calm, yet pained at the same time. Another brilliant track 9.5/10

Gavin's Song - Beautiful. That's all you need to know. 9.5/10

So, for the most part, I really like this CD. Although I don't like a couple of the songs, the rest of the album makes up for it. This man could have been in Motown back in the day and stood up with some of the big dogs. I just hope he keeps it up. It looks like he's on the right track.
on July 5, 2005
I bought this CD because I really liked the song "Home" and saw him perform it live on TV and heard a live acoustic version on the radio. I'm a big fan of that blues rock stuff so I knew I would like this CD if there was more stuff like "Home" on it. After a few months, I decided to pick up the CD. The first time I listened to the CD, I thought there were a few good songs, but I also got the impression that some of the songs were too "poppy" for my tastes as if trying to appeal to a broader demographic of teenage girls.

I'm very glad, however, that I kept listening to the CD. As I listened to the CD, I began to see beyond what I first characterized as "poppy" and hear more of Marc's bayou blues roots in the music. I've seen people compare him to John Mayer and Jason Mraz, and while not a bad comparison, I think the music reminds me more of some of the good Kenny Wayne Shepherd or Jonny Lang (but maybe 'tamed' a bit for a wider audience). Anybody who likes this kind of music will likely enjoy this CD.

Update: I actually bought the CD and wrote my review without reading any of the reviews here. I came back and read several of the more recent ones and I just had a few things I wanted to address. I definitely agree that if Marc gets the clout to control more of his production, his music will be even better. It just seems a bit glossy and packaged next to his rough vocals. I almost feel like the production tried to bury his gritty blues with some more polished pop stuff, but I think they need to showcase the soul of the music instead. I don't think we've seen the 100% "real" Marc Broussard yet.
on November 20, 2005
I'll make this short and sweet: "Carencro" is a very good album. Marc Broussard's mighty vocals are reason enough to enjoy the album, but he puts them to good use as well. I don't find the lyrics troublesome like Amazon reviewer Tammy La Groce does, although I did find her review troublesome. The album doesn't fall flat and the "shifts in genre" aren't really "shifts" but range that keeps the collection of songs from repeating the same ground from track to track. This cd is worth the money.
on January 1, 2005
I was one of those who actually did not know of Marc Broussard until November of this year. I was on, and Marc was featured in their "up and coming" section. So I gave "Where You Are" a listen. I found it to be extremely likable so I took down his name and the name of the album. I actually did not buy his album until 2 weeks later when I was cruising at Border's with my buddy. I came across his CD and ran straight to the listening station to give it a listen. Upon hearing the first track "Home" I was immediately taken with it. I had chills running up and down my whole body, I couldn't beleive the power of his voice!!! Within five minutes that CD was in my car and my friend and I were jamming to it. She liked it so much that she got her own copy the next day.
Let me tell you, this day and age, it is hard to find young male singer with the vocal range that Marc has, with the exception of course of Josh (Gronban) and Clay(Aiken). But what Marc brings to the table is something much different and full of life. He brings a lot of soul and hard hitting emotion to the music that he beautifully wrote. Here is my track by track review.
1) Home - 10/10 Chills up and down the spine
2) Rocksteady - 9/10 Lighthearted affair.
3) The Beauty of Who You Are - 10/10 I love this song. Marc's are very sensitive and very endearing in this one.
4) Save Me - 9.5/10 Beautiful. Emotional. Well-sung in a Ray-Charles sort of way.
5) Come Around - 10/10 The lyrics are cool in this one. Once again Marc doesn't fall short on the vocals on this one.
6) Where You Are - 10/10 The song that introduced me to Marc. It's still like I heard it for the first time
7) Lonely Night In Georgia - 10/10 OMG - just friggin' amazing. Everytime I hear this song, there are no words to describe it.
8) Saturday - 8.5/10 Lighthearted affair. I am not a real big fan of this song, but had to give this song a high rating just because of Marc's sheer vocals.
9) The Wanderer - 9.5/10 A cool and vibrant song. I like the rhythm in this song along with it's message.
10) Hope For Me Yet - 9/10 Another awesome performance from Marc.
11) Let Me Leave - 10/10 - Very soulful, but sad song. Marc is just fabulous, letting his voice guide this song.
12) Gavin's Song - 10/10 Marc's message in this song is so powerful. It is quite simply one of the best songs I have ever heard.
on October 14, 2005
After hearing the first song on the radio, I knew that I had to get this disc. I have to admit, after my first listen, I was a little disappointed that a lot of the cd sounds differently than the first track on the album (Home) but it definitely grew on me. Once I accepted the fact that he explores all kinds of different genres of musical influences (soul/R&B/blues) I haven't stop listening to this disc. With a voice like his, who wouldn't try different kinds of music on their first major label release. I only hope that he sticks with it and continues to crank out more diverse music and use his god given voice. With downhome blues tracks, slow-blues, R&B (Even sounding like Stevie Wonder at times) and upbeat sing alongs, I highly recommend picking this one up. He'll give you a little bit of everything and then some.
on November 18, 2005
Are you tired of buying a CD and only getting maybe a few songs (if you're lucky) to play more than once? Then get Carencro because this is something that is a diamond in the rough! Something you can play without hitting the forward button time and time again. Put it on...let it won't be disappointed. Give every song a chance and listen to the lyrics and the dynamics of the song in it's whole. I've had this CD for about 4 months or longer and it's the *only* one I play in my car. Even with the attention span of a gnat I never never never get tired of this CD. And for the life of me I can not understand why I'm not hearing Marc Broussard on the radio dominating the air waves like he deserves. Want to listen to something too good for radio? Buy it, you will not be disappointed.
on September 2, 2004
I am having serious issues with ever removing this from my CD player. I recently saw Gavin Degraw in concert and went in with no clue who Marc Broussard was. I wound up buying the live performance AND Carencro; he put on a helluva show. He's young and puts out a great energy and vibe; his vocals are so soulful and at times remind me of James Brown, plus I love the combination of blues, soul, rock. Don't be expecting just another singer-songwriter with a guitar, because while those labels might be applicable, that's definitely not all there is to Marc Broussard.

HOME - Co-written by his father. It's such a soulful and powerful song. Definitely one of the highlights. This shows off his voice so well.

ROCKSTEADY - One of my favorites, just because it's so fun. So what if the lyrics aren't so deep? I'm not looking for life changing lyrics, just a good song. I love this song, and the chorus is so catchy. Would have made a great first single, IMO.

THE BEAUTY OF WHO YOU ARE - Okay, despite some predictable, boyband-ish lyrics, I still love this song. The vocals are really soulful and smooth.

SAVE ME - Amazing. Love the chorus; the "save me"s are...oh, just listen to it and you'll get it.

COME AROUND - The "do do do"s should sound cheesy but don't. This will get you up dancing and singing. Also, such a strong chorus and love the bridge. Definitely the perfect song, my favorite off Carencro.

WHERE YOU ARE - Something a little different, slower and a little more pop-ish. I can see why it was released as the first single, but it wouldn't have been my first choice. Still a great song, but not the strongest on here.

LONELY NIGHT IN GEORGIA - So much soul, what a GREAT song. Feels really bluesy. What a highlight.

SATURDAY - Oh, LOVE this song. Really laid-back, feel-good vibe; perfectly suits the feel of sleeping late on a Saturday.

THE WANDERER - I've heard the two different versions of this song (one from Momentary Setback), and I have to say that though they're both good, Momentary Setback's beats it just slightly. This version seems to have lost something from it. The vocals don't seem as strong, and even the instrumentals seem more subdued.

HOPE FOR ME YET - Mellow, relaxed, a great song. It doesn't stand out so much as the others, but it is definitely not to be passed over.

LET ME LEAVE - The emotion in this song, on the vocals, wow. What a gorgeous song. God. Maybe this isn't the best way to put it, but when I first heard this, all I could wonder was how this was a white man singing with this much soul.

GAVIN'S SONG (Hidden Track) - Did I say I had a favorite yet? I lied. Because this is definitely my favorite song of his and quite possibly just in general. It's absolutely beautiful, and you can really hear his vocals well in this, because it's solely Marc and his guitar, singing his heart out to his son Gavin.
on February 25, 2005
I doubt any one could listen to this album (especially Home) and not admit that Broussard can sing the hell out of a song. I think that this album shows more potential to be great than actually being great. The album starts of with Home, which is the best of the album, and it gets you really excited to hear the rest of the album....And it is kind of let down that none of the other songs live up to the first. That said, I am defintley buying his first album, which I have yet to hear, and would buy any album that he makes in the future. I also think that it is a shame that he is not more known, because he deserves fame a lot more than a lot of people his age that are singing over at MTV....