Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Carex Bed Buddy, Back Wrap
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Size: Back wrap|Change

on July 9, 2011
I believe this is the same product I used when I was "young" back in the late 80s' to nurse rare sports injuries. Now that I'm older and have much more frequent sports injuries I sought out this product. I'd heard online that some other company bought them out and changed the product. I figured I would roll the dice anyway and see for myself. This modern version (purchased June, 2011) is a "sniff" away from being a lemon (a.k.a. sour orange). I purchased this because I was seeking "moist heat" and didn't want to deal with leaky microwaveable plastic versions and electric heating pads which need to be "moistened". I'll be honest, I'm lazy with this stuff because the constant heating and icing and rehab exercises necessary after an injury are annoying and frustrating without adding more to the pile. Thus, I wanted something that would be as easy-to-use as possible. Unfortunately, this new version is subpar compared with its predecessor. The old version maintained heat for more than a 20 minute duration. This new version loses most of its heat at about 10 minutes and you'll never make it close to 20-30 minutes without multiple nukings. This is not ideal and not convenient for someone with sports injuries to trek back and forth between the nuker multiple times. Also, it would be nice if this came with an unattached velcro strap so you could use it easily on your mid-back as well as your low-back. So, if you can deal with the above you might get some use out of this but the manufacturer really needs to improve their next version by focusing on MAINTAINING HEAT for a longer duration.
on December 30, 2007
We have been using Bed Buddies for years (both the back wrap and shoulder/neck version), and like them a lot. They really do deliver prolonged moist heat and relieve sore, tense muscles. The Velcro closures make them especially convenient to use.

Our Bed Buddies were getting pretty tattered, so I ordered a couple of new ones. This time, though, they have a chemical smell that I can't remedy - I've tried airing them for days in the sun, storing them with baking soda sachets...nothing works. I don't want them in my microwave oven, where we cook food - so we continue to use the old ones, not the new ones. It's been a big disappointment.
1313 comments| 240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2009
I had the same product before and it performed well. This one lasted only a few weeks before a hole melted into a seam and the contents developed a permanent burnt smell. Never heated more than 3 minutes. Shame, great product design for the back, poor quality material.
55 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2015
This item smells horribly. I've had heater packs that smelled bad in the past but this was intolerable. I only used once. The second time I went to heat it up a hole actually burned through the material. My microwave works fine so this was an issue with the product. I added a picture so you can see the damage. I do not recommend at all.
review image
44 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 20, 2015
First of all let me say that this is one of my favorite purchases in a long time.

I'm not sure why I waited so long to buy one of these. I guess it was because I didn't know it existed. I'm so glad that I discovered it. It was a "gift to myself." It just keeps on giving and giving. I suffer from chronic health issues that bring pain and stiffness to various parts of my body. The bed buddy is a god-send. It is living up to it's name as I've taken it to bed with me every night since it arrived.

And let me say, that I was concerned that it might have an odor generally or when heated. It doesn't. I'm so glad because I have a sensitive sense of smell.

For over 15 years I've been using another product in the Carex line. I'd noticed in recent days that even though it still warms without issue it sags so much when I put it around my neck that it's no longer doing it's job.

I love being able to put this in the microwave for a minute and a half or two and then either drape it around my shoulders, put it around my waist (the velcro comes in handy) or lie down on it. It gives moist heat that is soothing. It's generous size of 23" x 16.5" makes it suitable for larger areas. And although it is large I don't find it to feel heavy when I walk around with it on.

You'll want to experiment with your microwave and be sure not to overheat this. I'd say that less is more. Start with what is directed on the small tag and throw it back in if it doesn't feel warm enough.

Here is what is on the tag:

There are a few cautions on the label:
-Microwave heating times vary--DO NOT overheat
-DO NOT use convection function of your microwave oven
-Always heat on clean empty microwave safe dish. Lay flat and distribute contents of Bed Buddy evenly lengthwise
-Microwave Bed Buddy for 1 minutes and 15 seconds at standard power
-DO NOT leave Bed Buddy unattended while heating
-Always touch-test by shifting contents to check for hot spots before use
-If higher heat is required, continue microwaving in 15 second intervals-repeat above
-DO NOT exceed 2 minutes total heating time
-Contamination by food or liquids can cause overheating resulting in burns to the skin
-Continually shift the position of the Bed Buddy when in use
-NEVER place a heated Bed Buddy over the eyes
-Never wash this Bed Buddy product. Wipe with a damp cloth only and let dry thoroughly
DO NOT use this product on persons with nerve damage, circulatory problems, sensitive skin, or with damage or broken skin, or on persons unable to remove this product such as infants, children, and some older persons

I haven't tried the cold feature. According to the box you can put this in the freezer overnight and use it as a cooling wrap. I have gel packs that work well for that so I'll probably use this exclusively for heat.

I would have liked for this to have come with a casing of some kind so that if it gets dirty I can wash the cover. It didn't, and I suspect that is due to the shape and size. No problem, I can throw it in a microfiber pillow case if needed, and I intend to ask a family member who sews to make a little thin cover for it.

We just recently replaced a moist heating pad for one of my close relatives because her's had burned up. Fortunately no one was hurt and nothing was damaged. The new heating pad was nearly twice as expensive as this and doesn't allow all that much more coverage. Plus it didn't have a cover either. So dollar for dollar, I feel that this is a better deal.

I suspect that we'll need a second one of these as my husband immediately wanted to try it when I warmed it up the first time. He loved how it felt!
review image
on December 13, 2010
I got this to use around my neck for tension headaches at the recommendation of my doctor. First of all it smells so bad it makes me nauseous. I don't know how to describe it, like maybe something rotted inside? I heat it for the maxmimum allowable time and it's just barely hot enough to relax my muscles at all. There isn't enough stuffing in it to actually hit all the areas I need it to hit though, and the areas where there is stuffing cool off within about 5 minutes. Useless. Would give it 1 star, but mine hasn't burned up.... yet.
on February 24, 2008
I love the original Bed Buddy, I've used it for years. I decided to purchase the Back Wrap. It didn't get as warm, and when I put it in the microwave for the additional 30 seconds, the product inside burnt a hole through the outside. It's in the trash.
on April 10, 2011
This bed buddy fits around the neck and over the shoulders very nicely, it heats evenly, and does a wonderful job. However, it only does the job a few times before the fabric starts melting a little at a time. I followed the directions and made sure the microwave was clean and dry, so I don't know why the fabric developed melted holes, but once the buckwheat started dribbling out it soon became worthless. They really should have used the same fabric as the original bed buddy. Then I would probably be giving it 5 stars instead of 1.
on December 3, 2007
I bought this recently for my bad back. After heating in the microwave per the instructions, it retains heat for only about 20 minutes or so. Have to keep re-heating it.

Furthermore, after about the 10th time using it -- and on a new day when it had not been used yet that day -- the outside material disintegrated in 2 places in the microwave, with the inner material falling out. Always heated for no longer than the instructions said to. I will never buy this again.
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2008
This wrap is amazing on the moist heat, delivering up to 20 min. of good heat with just 1.5 min. in the micro, but is HORRIBLE as a cold pack. Don't expect it to get anything numb!