Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on December 25, 2013
I grew up on a farm (and am now 38), and still consider myself a farm kid. But back then, I grew up on a small farm and we didn't have enough money to buy good stuff like Carhartt jackets for us kids who grew out of them every year! I've kind of always wanted one, and finally got sick of Columbia jackets with fleece lining that fills me with static or other jackets that just don't last. So I researched and bought this one.

Many of the reviews claim that it's warm enough to wear outside as your sole jacket during winter. This winter (2013) in Fargo has been nasty cold so far, with multiple days with 0 degrees F or lower as a daily high! Most of these cold days, I am wearing a sweater under this, and it does the trick for me going from vehicle to building and back, while keeping me comfortable while driving. I've also worn it for longer periods of time outside when it's cold and windy, with a sweatshirt under it, and it has performed very well. It cuts the wind better than I expected, so as long as you have a warmer layer under it, it really is warm enough.

I am 6'3" tall, and about 190 pounds. I also have trouble finding jackets with long enough sleeves. I bought the Medium, Long, and it fits me perfectly!! This is the part I'm happiest about. Even with a sweatshirt under it, it's still big enough.

It has lots of pockets. Another important thing for me is enough pockets to carry my wallet, cell phone, and sunglasses. It has 2 large inner chest pockets (one with a velcro top, another with a zipper), and I keep my wallet in the velcro one. It also has 2 outer chest pockets, and I keep my smart phone in one of those, easily accessible, easy to hear if it rings.

I am very happy with this jacket, and am looking forward to having it last me multiple Fargo winters!

Edited 12/30/13:
Just spent an hour and a half tailgating for a football game, at -5 degrees F. I wore a long sleeved dry-fit shirt, a sweatshirt, a jersey, and this jacket, and felt perfectly dressed. I was concerned about spending this much time outside at that temperature with this jacket, but again, with the right layers, it cut the wind nicely, and did the job as expected!
on January 21, 2012
Yes it's well made, looks good, and is the right-weight coat if you need a breathable, and general day-to-day coat to wear on-site. Addressing this to contractors as i work outside year-round in all four season's, in this part of the country.

I'm 6'5" and about 250lb so the XL tall was perfecto. Pockets are freakin' sweet, solid/low-profile/sizable/ inner-pockets. Impressed with the new potential for holding-power every time i open my coat. Collar flips up for breezy-days, chaff-free corduroy, as opposed to canvas-duck (thank you very much for that thought in design-detail.)

Option of buying matching hoods, snaps ready on collar. Good set-up if you prefer caps and don't want a hood in the way.

And best of all, it has the loop. I don't know how many times I've tried to squeeze my thick-ass work coats onto a wall hanger. This collar has the utility-loop sewn in there so solid you can cram your coat onto the over-crowded wall-rack that's brimming with your wife's collection of "give-away items."

So buy the coat, and enjoy breaking this one in.
on November 28, 2014
So, I needed a coat that could do it all. A coat that I could wear when we took a delivery at the factory I run and I needed to pitch in and throw a sack over my shoulder, but also a coat that wouldn't make me look like a hayseed if worn in a meeting with county officials or my accountant. And most of all, a coat that was well-built and would keep me warm in the Siberian fall/early winter.

First off, obviously, this is not going to do the trick when it's -40. I have a down parka for January/February, and those temperatures are what it's for. However, I must say I am seriously impressed with this Carhartt jacket. It is a lot warmer than I had anticipated, comfortable down to below 0 Celsius (below 30F) with just a T-shirt underneath. Add a down vest and I have no real complaints about the cold down to about -25C.

Secondly, the workmanship is impressive. The stitching is tight, the zipper is great, all of it. I love the fit as well (a little big, as some have said, but that wasn't a problem as I had read that on here and ordered a bit smaller than usual). I'm 6'5" and 260 lbs, so I normally would have gone a XXL Tall, but decided on the XL Tall after reading other reviews on here. Perfect, perfect fit. A bit loose around the middle to be "tailored" in its look, but I really like that I can throw on a down vest underneath and it doesn't feel super snug. Oh, and I have to mention how much I like the interior elastic on the sleeves - I have really long arms and usually worry about sleeves riding up, but this jacket has a tightish inside lining that doesn't allow it to ride up if I stretch to reach something above me.

Only minor issues are a bit of "baconing" on the end of the sleeve, of all places, which is weird. Like it's folded up permanently on one side and won't sit down, I'm going to try some starch and ironing it, see if that will fix the issue. Honestly, it only bugs me due to some weird OCD thing that I have with it. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the corduroy-type material the collar is made out of. Maybe just me, after all, it's not like I hate it, I just don't love it. Would have liked a leather ranch-style collar or maybe just a collar made out of the same duck-cloth as the rest of the jacket, but c'est la vie, it's hardly a major issue. As you can tell, since I rated it 5 stars.

In short, I'm very impressed by this jacket and I'm glad I bought it. Yes, it was expensive, but from the looks of things I'm going to have it for a very long time and it is definitely earning its keep.
on December 20, 2013
This coat has top quality design, materials and workmanship going for it, and Amazon's price beats the price in my local store that carries Carhartt.. What more could you want? I'm 6 foot, 175 lbs. and the Medium, Big-Tall coat is a perfect fit. The generous side pockets are great for keeping hands warm. I couldn't be happier.
on October 21, 2014
I am 6' 3" 230 lbs with about a 36" sleeve length and wear 38" pants. I got XL Tall and really happy with the fit. Sleeves come down to/slightly over my work gloves. The body ends 8" or more below my hips, with plenty of room for a sweater underneath without being huge and bulky in the waist. It doesn't feel warm like down parka when you first put it on, but I wore it while breaking down a fallen tree in about 38 degrees this week and it was plenty warm. I have little doubt it will stand up to walking behind the snow blower this winter. Overall I like it enough that I may get an unlined version for Spring and Fall - for me at least this lined one will be too warm to wear while working in my woods.

After a full Winter using it to do chores outside I am lowering my rating from 5 to 4. I still like it. I don't love it. The polyester quilt lining just doesn't breathe. It's fine going for a walk or running errands. But even in temperatures down to 10F with only a long sleeve T underneath I would sweat, particularly in the arms, when shoveling snow or cutting wood or anything else active. It's just too much for me even in very cold weather.
on November 13, 2015
Let me tell you how much I love this coat - I just bought two of them.

I wish I had discovered these coats years ago. They are warmer than they look and they stop the wind like a brick wall. The pockets are comfortable and they are durable and made right.

I'm 6 foot, 210 (more pudge than muscle) and the large tall fit perfectly, leaving room for a fleece underneath. My only problem was when I combined it with my Carthartt-knockoff insulated coveralls, it was just a shade too tight, fine when standing but just a bit snug when sitting down.

I might have returned it for the next larger size but there was no way I was letting this coat go. So I ordered a second one, a XX-large tall, which gives me plenty of room to wear my overalls and as much extra padding as I want. It looks a bit like a tent on me because it's literally two sizes too big, but I have no doubt I could just lay down in the snow and take a comfortable nap in this gear on the worst winter day.

Meanwhile my first coat will be my front-line jacket for all those times when I'm not in pillsbury doughboy mode. I combined it with the suggested Carhartt hood and I've very pleased.

"There's no such thing as bad weather - there is only being underdressed".
on July 26, 2015
Bought this for my boyfriend as his Carhartt he currently has had for 7 or more years is seeing it's wear and tear. Got him the 2XL tall. Fit him perfect. He's 6'4" and around 280lbs. He's not the type that fits into men's wear at Kohl's if this helps. I would definitely recommend this coat to men looking for a new Carhartt.
on November 16, 2015
Fit great-I used the fitting tool on the Carhartt website. Although it said I was a 2XL, I went for 2XL Tall. That gave me a little extra length in the arms so I can put my hands straight out without the sleeves riding up my arm. The back comes down to about the middle of my jean pockets. I'm 6'4" and about 290#.
The jacket itself is top-notch. Bombproof construction throughout. Nice big pockets for tools, ammo, and dog biscuits. Warm as heck. Looking forward to getting it dirty enough to wash, because it's a little stiff right at the moment.
This jacket is going to last as long as I do...
on October 6, 2013
What can I say about this Jacket, other than the fact that I have become a Carhartt fan for life. This jacket is built to last. The zipper is heavy duty, the materials are designed for heavy abuse, and it is extremely nice looking and comfortable to wear. I recommend ordering the Tall version if you are 5'11" or taller, because having the extra length gives you additional warmth and security. The length is not a hindrance because the zipper is a 2-way zipper that allows you to unzip it from the bottom so you can sit down comfortably. I ordered a second one the moment I tried it on!
on December 24, 2015
I'm 6'1" and the medium tall fit beautifully in the chest / waist area, but came up just about 1" short on the sleeves. I'm a tall skinny dude and I hate my sleeves coming up short, especially on my winter coat. Looks like I'm going to have to order large tall with the Carhartt brand in the future.

This coat loses 1 star because it's simply NOT warm. I don't know if these other reviewers are just lying to themselves so they don't feel like they bought a shoddy coat after the fact, but let me tell you in no uncertain terms: THIS COAT IS NOT WARM! I recently had the Carhartt Sandstone Jackson with the arctic sherpa lining, and that my friends, was a furnace of a coat. I expected the same quality of warmth from this coat since they're both billed as "Arctic lined" to withstand cold temperatures. Epic failure on Carhartt's design department here. I'd have happily paid an extra $20 for a proper "Arctic liner".

This coat loses another star for the storm cuffs that feel like shackles on your wrists. Without the storm cuffs, the arm length just might have fit perfectly. The storm cuffs however make the arm length feel shorter since the storm cuffs are stitched in several inches above the actual cuff end of the sleeve. This was an almost perfect design that just went terribly wrong. It was probably cost savings measures that killed this coat before it ever left the production line.

This coat loses yet another star for the zipper track that constantly brushes up against your neck. This sounds minor, but for those of you familiar with the heavy duty zipper track system that Carhartt is famous for - you know those massive teeth rubbing up against your neck is going to be horribly uncomfortable. I found myself constantly adjusting and just couldn't make it comfortable without taking it to a seamstress to stitch in some snaps for me to pull the collar apart slightly so as to divert the upper zipper track away from my neck.

In summary, this is another beautiful design that Carhartt simply pushed into production before they worked out the bugs. Maybe in 2 or 3 more seasons Carhartt will fix the gaping holes in their coat design.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse