Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tap Giveaway Headphones for Everyone Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback

on October 24, 2011
My husband has always loved Carhartt clothes, but we never knew they would save his life! He was out cutting wood with a chainsaw wearing a pair of these pants. As he was cutting a large log, he lost his footing on one leg, and the running chainsaw came done on his leg right above the knee. He looked to see how bloody his leg was, and amazingly, the only thing that had happened was a rip in the pant leg. The chainsaw never touched his leg because of the double layer of fabric on the front of the pants. If he hadn't have had those pants on, he could have cut his leg so badly he probably would have bled to death before he got back home. Consequently, he bought another pair!
33 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2010
I wrote the attached review a few years ago now when I first started wearing carhartts jeans on my motorbike. They quickly became the only brand of jeans I wear on the bike and still are. I particularly like being able to order my exact size, particularly the leg length. I'm a shade over 6' tall, and having heavyweight canvas jeans with 36" legs makes sure there's plenty of material bunched over the tops of my boots to block the wind. They can get a little warm at rest stops on 80+ degree days, on the other hand they protect your legs better when you're back on the road in full sun.

I have a several pairs of these dungarees, a couple common-or-garden, a pair of flannel-lined for colder days so I don't have to bother with longjohns/thermals, a pair 2" oversized waist for concealed carry or wearing over thick thermals/sweat pants/Levi's, and the faded old pair with the front knee panel worn through that are still plenty good enough for yardwork. These things last a long time.

One last thing - if you wash them inside out, the brass rivets won't smack around the inside of the washer and drier drums, and your vintage t-shirts, quite so hard; and if you dry them on 'Low', you'll have a better chance of fastening them the next time you put them on.

***
Original review:
I heard about Carhartt work pants as good bike pants over a year ago, and when my last pair of riding jeans wore out, I finally decided to risk $35 to find out. They were right. I've been riding bikes for 35 years, mostly in Lees and Levi's boot cuts, and a decade ago I discovered kevlar lined 'Draggin' Jeans', which are soft, comfortable and great peace of mind for well over a hundred bucks. These Carhartt double fronted dungarees may not protect my ass quite as much as kevlar, but they're as hard as nails and at around forty dollars including tax and freight, I don't need to look any more.

These pants are not far short of wire mesh straight out of the box. I washed mine four times on the long cycle, warm, with extra suds before giving them two rinses and throwing three fabric softener sheets in the tumble dryer with them. After more than 2,000 miles on the bike, lots of normal everyday wear and numerous more washes, these pants have not so much attained the soft like-a-deerskin-glove feel that favorite denim jeans do - it feels more as if it's shaping itself to my body....the double front keeps your legs warm from the pocket line to halfway down your shin, where your 8" boots take over. They are not going to get you home dry through a thunderstorm, but they are more rain resistant than denim and they're just fine in light showers or on wet roads.

These pants sit most comfortably with the belt line at navel level, and they do it without wedging you. This makes a big difference to how cold your back gets after the first 50 miles. I usually take a 36x34, but got these in a 36x36, which are perfect on a bike - the extra 2" stops them riding up past ankle height, even with feet on highway pegs at 70mph, there's less wind whistling up the canyon, and that helps keep you a lot warmer than those hip hugging waders...now that I'm used to them, I wear these pants all day, everyday, and I don't have to worry about getting changed into something more robust if I see a job that needs doing around the house, garden or garage.

I bought one pair to try. After a month and a thousand miles on the bike, I bought another black pair, and a 'Carhartt Brown' (that weird mustardy beige color) pair for gardening, hunting and camping. The pockets are roomy, and I fit my glasses case in the right hand tool pocket, cell phone in the left, and can hang a 4x D-cell torch through the hammer loop. I have a custom made 2" wide leather belt which fits the loops, which it doesn't on 'normal' denim jeans. Because these sit at the waist, I can cinch them up and hang my Buck, Leatherman and a folding tool off it, on top of all the other aforementioned bits and pieces, plus wallet and loose change, all without risking walking out of my trousers. If superheroes wore jeans, this is what they'd wear.

They look pretty reasonable for a burger & beer night out, but after a few miles you might want to pull out the designer labels if you're going out to a real restaurant.

I'll be interested to see how long these things last. I'm thinking 'a while'.
on March 20, 2013
Material is as expected and construction is up to Carhartt standards. My only complaint is the sizing; the waste is nearly one size smaller than other brands and the length is one size longer than other brands. Order accordingly.
33 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2006
The best pants for the money that I use to hunt and work in my fields. The built-in double front chaps are the best. There are many sharp thorns on my ranch and Carhartts keep them out and are heavily stitched for durability. Thanks for the deal.
on January 9, 2007
These jeans are very durable and good looking. My son wears his every day in the auto body business and they hold up very well. The double knee feature makes them much more long lasting than regular jeans.
on May 19, 2014
I bought a pair of B01's and B11's both at 31 x 32. When the B01's arrived they were more like 31 x 34 but marked properly. I contacted Carhartt and they said that was not correct and that both the B11 and B01 should be the same. I let Amazon know and they were amazing and sent me another pair next day. The next day I got the new B01s and they were identical! If I hadn't bought a pair of B11s with the B01s I would have thought they shrunk or I was loosing my mind. Amazon was again great and said they would reinventory the lot and that I should re-order them the following week. I waited a week or maybe two to put in a new order and when those ones arrived they were yet again wrong. This time it felt like they weren't a full two inches too long but they certainly aren't sized the same as the B11's which I've ordered forever and 31x32 is always 31x32. I love the quality of these, the fact that they are made in the USA, but if this is what to expect I think I'll look for a clearance or a discounted 31 waist knowing I'll have to hem them to length. I was tempted to buy a 31x30 or 31x31 but I didn't want to chance them being sized correctly! Either way I would not buy these online and I'll keep my eye out for them in person and always try them on to see if I can get the bottom of how off the sizing goes. I love Carhartt brand and have plenty of their clothes but this experience was very disappointing. If possible I'll upload my image showing the B11s on top of the B01s
review image review image
on January 7, 2014
These get purchased once a year and they get worn all year. They come so stiff you can practically stand them in a corner and they remain that way. Halfway through the year, they usually need more patches just above the pre-patched areas and right by the pockets. But they get used and abused and have proven themselves faithful to the task.
on March 21, 2013
The good: Still seemingly the same sturdy materials, same great look, same great feel, now made in the USA!
The bad (for me): The pants are a solid inch longer and much looser throughout. It feels more like a 34x29. The Carhartt's I've had in the past were made in Mexico, I wonder if the switch to US-based manufacturing has mucked things up a bit. I'm going to try to wash in warm water and stick them in the dryer.
on February 9, 2016
My husband is a soil scientist so he spends a considerable amount of time in the field, that is to say, hiking in remote areas through thick underbrush. He's on his knees a lot too as he's collecting and cataloging samples. He is very rough on pants. A regular pair of Levi's wouldn't last him one summer. We discovered Carharts about 15 years ago and have never looked back! These things are tough! They start out looking and feeling stuff but soften a bit after wearing and washing. The fabric is thick, like a canvas tarp, and the double front knees are awesome! Based on previous pairs he's had, these should last him about five years. One thing to be aware of is that they are 100% cotton and will shrink a bit. He usually wears a 32/32 but we order 32/34 to compensate for shrinkage. They are a little long now, but will be just right after a few washes. He is 6' tall, slender build, 32/34 is pretty baggy now but the overall fit will improve to just how he likes it over time. Hope this is helpful!
review image review image
on July 19, 2015
I bought the carhartt brown pants. You will look like a ginger bread man until they fade and break in a little. After a few weeks of wearing they become softer. For the money these pants last a long time.
review image