4.0 out of 5 stars Casual near-perfection
Published on March 21, 2011 by Peter

3.0 out of 5 stars Only OK, not great.
Published on March 22, 2012 by Aktrom

4.0 out of 5 stars Casual near-perfection, March 21, 2011
I have always been a fan of Carhartt pants, and have owned many of the styles. Their B01 double front dungarees are hard to beat for durability (and in my opinion,style), but are on the heavy side and look out of place except for the most casual settings. The original Hamilton pant successfully bridged the gap between workwear and casual wear, serving the wearer faithfully as a functional, durable work pant with the understated styling of a pair of chinos. The Canvas Khaki is essentially the same as the Hamilton pant with a slightly different cut. I find them to run just a tad bigger than the Hamilton pant, but only just. The canvas material breaths slightly better than the brushed twill of the Hamilton pant, but wrinkles very easily. With the khaki and mushroom colors, fading is not an issue. After multiple washings in hot water, the color remains largely the same as when new. The green color does fade more quickly and takes on a more fatigue look than its lighter counterparts. The pocket set up is another highlight of the pant. With deep front slash pockets and jean-like patch rear pockets, the pant carries a moderate pocket load well, without bulging or tearing. The pockets are not reinforced with rivets as on other Carhartt work pants. There is a cell phone pocket on the right leg that provides ample storage for even large smartphones without looking like a pair of painters jeans. Overall, the pant is a success that sees daily use as both chinos and serious work pants.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighter, more durable and more respectable than jeans., April 11, 2010
C. Martin (San Antonio, Texas, US) - See all my reviews
This is my second pair of these. They are ideal work pants.
The cell phone pocked is my favorite feature.
The color doesn't fade and they are very durable-tougher than jeans.
The pockets of my jeans wear out where I clip my knife and my badge retractor. These pants do not.
They don't need to be ironed out of the dryer and fold up compactly.
They're comfortable in temperatures from about 40 to 85 degrees.

My only complaint is that they don't make these in longer sizes, but I'll put up with some high-water action for the rest of the benefits.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only OK, not great., March 22, 2012
Aktrom (Central, NY) - See all my reviews
I bought these pants primarily because of the sizing (odd number waist sizes). I like the fact that they are canvas and have a better breathing capability than regular denim or twill. The fit is good and comfortable. What i do not like about them is that the front pockets are not very deep, the pocket openings are quite large and they gap significantly when walking. I will have to bar tack the pocket openings to make them smaller, so pocket items will be more secure, and the gap factor will be minimized. The cell phone pocket is also not quite deep enough. Also the belt loops are unusually positioned. Either they need two more belt loops added, or two additional rear belt loops would correct the awkward placements. These could have been great pants, and a nicer slightly dressier alternative to a pair of jeans, but alas, they are only good pants. I will keep them only because of the odd number waist size and the fit and after my own modifications, they will be better, but still not great.

An after the posted review comment: The photo shows rear belt loops over the back pockets, when in fact these belt loops are not even there. Hence my comments in my product review about not enough belt loops.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cell phone pocket without getting carpenter jeans, August 4, 2011
I bought two pairs of the B299. I think the length is about an inch shorter than typical, so it would be better to order a longer size if in doubt. The pants are lightweight fabric good for summer. Similar Dickies brand Dungaree pants are available at Wal Mart for a lot less money - a bit more than $20. The difference is the Dickies have regular jeans-style pockets while the Carhartt has angled side pockets that you see on casual pants. Also, the Dickies pockets (including the side cell phone pocket) are larger than the Carhartt. Actually, I find the Dickies pockets too large. My wallet sinks down way too low and flops around in the Dickies, so I'm contantly having to adjust it when sitting down. The Carhartt are available in more colors than the one or two available colors for the Dickies, too. I love the cell phone pocket and not having a silly hammer loop, but I can only give 4 stars because of the high cost of Carhartt products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Restaurant Khakis, October 4, 2012
I ordered a pair of the Golden Khaki Carhartt Canvas Khaki pants to wear for work as a restaurant manager. My work requires my pants to be presentable and business like, but the actual job would suggest something more durable than business khakis. These pants fit the bill perfectly. The side pocket is great for my cell phone or my pocket notebook. I highly recommend these pants. The 30x30 pants I ordered fit pretty much true to size and I couldn't be happier with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be better, May 17, 2013
Clothes are clothes, ones you expect to last a while, I got canvas because that is what people would wear aboard a sailing vessel. Old sails that were torn or ripped and no longer useable could be made into spare (or replacement) clothing. I didn't realize it at first but canvas also doesn't really absorb water, so that is also a secondary wonderful thing about the pants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim leg fit, December 31, 2013
Great fit for the slimmed leg man. Does not have the wider leg width as most other brands do. My husband doesn't look as if he has been "swallowed" up by them.

5.0 out of 5 stars fit and durability are outstanding, March 28, 2010
For once, khaki pants that fit well and are durable to boot. My sole, nitpicky complaint is that I could do without the cell phone pocket; they come a little too close to cargo pants with that feature. However, I wear the heck out of my casual pants and these hold up. Can be dressed up to a reasonable but not extravagant degree - button down shirts and ties work with these pants, but just barely. I'm a teacher and these work fine with everyday shirt/tie combos, but they're perfect for polos.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll buy again!, March 22, 2014
I am an office worker. These look "good enough" for most cases, fit fairly well and seem to be constructed to stand up to abuse.

My only complaint really would be the zipper. It can just slide on down sometimes for no apparent reason; and no, I am not wearing a size too small. ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Check Out The Side Phone Pocket!, March 14, 2014
These pants are really comfortable and durable. The color is unique but generic enough to be worn with most of my shirts. But enough about that. The thing I really want to discuss is this awesome side pocket that my HTC One slides into just perfectly.

Why don't all pants have this? Carpenter pants have that funny loop. I know not everyone is a painter, but everyone carries a cell phone. So let's all have pants with cell phone pockets!

Good pants. Great extra pocket. Seriously, this makes me happy every time I put them on.

Carhartt Men's  Canvas Khaki, GoldenKhaki, 36 x 32