Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Outdoor Deals on HTL

on March 21, 2011
I have always been a fan of Carhartt pants, and have owned many of the styles. Their B01 double front dungarees are hard to beat for durability (and in my opinion,style), but are on the heavy side and look out of place except for the most casual settings. The original Hamilton pant successfully bridged the gap between workwear and casual wear, serving the wearer faithfully as a functional, durable work pant with the understated styling of a pair of chinos. The Canvas Khaki is essentially the same as the Hamilton pant with a slightly different cut. I find them to run just a tad bigger than the Hamilton pant, but only just. The canvas material breaths slightly better than the brushed twill of the Hamilton pant, but wrinkles very easily. With the khaki and mushroom colors, fading is not an issue. After multiple washings in hot water, the color remains largely the same as when new. The green color does fade more quickly and takes on a more fatigue look than its lighter counterparts. The pocket set up is another highlight of the pant. With deep front slash pockets and jean-like patch rear pockets, the pant carries a moderate pocket load well, without bulging or tearing. The pockets are not reinforced with rivets as on other Carhartt work pants. There is a cell phone pocket on the right leg that provides ample storage for even large smartphones without looking like a pair of painters jeans. Overall, the pant is a success that sees daily use as both chinos and serious work pants.
on April 11, 2010
This is my second pair of these. They are ideal work pants.
The cell phone pocked is my favorite feature.
The color doesn't fade and they are very durable-tougher than jeans.
The pockets of my jeans wear out where I clip my knife and my badge retractor. These pants do not.
They don't need to be ironed out of the dryer and fold up compactly.
They're comfortable in temperatures from about 40 to 85 degrees.

My only complaint is that they don't make these in longer sizes, but I'll put up with some high-water action for the rest of the benefits.
on August 4, 2011
I bought two pairs of the B299. I think the length is about an inch shorter than typical, so it would be better to order a longer size if in doubt. The pants are lightweight fabric good for summer. Similar Dickies brand Dungaree pants are available at Wal Mart for a lot less money - a bit more than $20. The difference is the Dickies have regular jeans-style pockets while the Carhartt has angled side pockets that you see on casual pants. Also, the Dickies pockets (including the side cell phone pocket) are larger than the Carhartt. Actually, I find the Dickies pockets too large. My wallet sinks down way too low and flops around in the Dickies, so I'm contantly having to adjust it when sitting down. The Carhartt are available in more colors than the one or two available colors for the Dickies, too. I love the cell phone pocket and not having a silly hammer loop, but I can only give 4 stars because of the high cost of Carhartt products.
on March 22, 2012
I bought these pants primarily because of the sizing (odd number waist sizes). I like the fact that they are canvas and have a better breathing capability than regular denim or twill. The fit is good and comfortable. What i do not like about them is that the front pockets are not very deep, the pocket openings are quite large and they gap significantly when walking. I will have to bar tack the pocket openings to make them smaller, so pocket items will be more secure, and the gap factor will be minimized. The cell phone pocket is also not quite deep enough. Also the belt loops are unusually positioned. Either they need two more belt loops added, or two additional rear belt loops would correct the awkward placements. These could have been great pants, and a nicer slightly dressier alternative to a pair of jeans, but alas, they are only good pants. I will keep them only because of the odd number waist size and the fit and after my own modifications, they will be better, but still not great.

An after the posted review comment: The photo shows rear belt loops over the back pockets, when in fact these belt loops are not even there. Hence my comments in my product review about not enough belt loops.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2012
I ordered a pair of the Golden Khaki Carhartt Canvas Khaki pants to wear for work as a restaurant manager. My work requires my pants to be presentable and business like, but the actual job would suggest something more durable than business khakis. These pants fit the bill perfectly. The side pocket is great for my cell phone or my pocket notebook. I highly recommend these pants. The 30x30 pants I ordered fit pretty much true to size and I couldn't be happier with them.
on May 17, 2013
Clothes are clothes, ones you expect to last a while, I got canvas because that is what people would wear aboard a sailing vessel. Old sails that were torn or ripped and no longer useable could be made into spare (or replacement) clothing. I didn't realize it at first but canvas also doesn't really absorb water, so that is also a secondary wonderful thing about the pants.
on December 31, 2013
Great fit for the slimmed leg man. Does not have the wider leg width as most other brands do. My husband doesn't look as if he has been "swallowed" up by them.
on April 13, 2014
I ordered three pairs of pants. Each pair fit differently.
I had the same problem with a previous order when I ordered four pairs of the B11 canvas pants. Each one had a different length. One was an inch too short and the the longest one was two inches too long.
Carhartt needs to work on their quality control
on September 4, 2012
After Columbia made the idiotic decision to discontinue making their standard Rugged Outdoor Chinos, I found myself looking for an alternative. I ran across these Carhart khakis on Amazon and decided the price was worth a try. So far, I'm impressed. The material is comfortable and breathable for Texas summers of 100*+ temperatures, and they're durable enough to handle rough daily activity without showing wear. Color holds up well to multiple washings.

Only downsides I see are mostly my opinion. I didn't like the patch rear pockets on the Ultimate ROC's. These Carharts have them, but they're more tastefully done. I also miss having the zippered inside right front pocket and velcro closure on the right leg pocket (hint, hint to Carhart ;) ). But I haven't had any problem with the current pocket design, either.

Important to remember: these pants tend to run larger than their size indicates. I wear a 50x30 in the Columbias, and I had to get the Carharts taken in 2" in length & waist to fit. My next order will be in the 48x30 range or smaller.

Yes, I will buy more of these pants. And I'll try Carhart's cargo pants, too. But I'll still pray that Columbia will have an attack of sanity and start making my classic ROC's again.

Then I'll have to buy both..... :)
on October 8, 2014
Typical Carhartt quality and durability, while still being stylish enough for a business-casual environment.

I had to go up to a 34" waist on these from my usual 33" as they ran a lot more snug than the other pants that I own. In a 34" the thighs and seat are a bit looser than I would like, but the waist fits fine.

I tend to wear a pair of paints 2-3 times before washing them as long as I kept them clean, however, I find that these tend to crease or wrinkle fairly easily from sitting. They are a stiffer material that likes to hold the form it's been in more than to relax and release.

Overall, I am pleased with these pants as I needed something more durable than Hager Life Khaki's or Dockers.