Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Carhartt Men's Extremes Cold Weather Boot Socks
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 30, 2013
People give negative reviews on an item like this because they do not know how to use or wear winter clothing.

With socks it is very simple, a sock like this one will be fine in sub-zero weather if used correctly.

You boot, shoe or whatever you wearing must be big enough to accommodate this or any heavy sock. If your boot or shoe is too tight or even just tight, YOUR FEET WILL BE COLD no matter what material the sock is made of.

Air must circulate in your boot or shoe in order for your feet stay warm. The natural warmth given off by your foot will circulate inside the boot or shoe. If your foot is constricted by boots or shoes that are too small to accommodate heavy or multiple socks your feet will be cold.

If wearing heavy thick socks or multiple socks ALWAYS buy boots at least a half size larger than you would normally wear. Sometimes you have to go a full size bigger depending on the boot or shoe.

For even better results when wearing winter socks like this one, you should wear a sock liner under your winter socks. These are specially made to wear under heavy socks and are very thin and usually made of a polyester material to wick away any sweat from your feet.

Most important though, is to have the right size boot or shoe, never wear boots or shoes too small to accommadate heavy winter socks. It's not the sock, it's the way you are using them.
33 comments| 486 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2013
I work outside, on my feet for 8-10 hours at a time in rain, shine, snow, sleet, hail, and everything inbetween. There are thin socks, thick socks, warm socks, and then there are these - these socks are absolute gamechangers. The difference between these and my next warmest pair of socks is like night and day. These are the only socks I've ever worn during the winter that not only kept my foot warm, but also kept my TOES warm as well, which is an impossible feat (or feet, pun unintended)

Got a pair from a friend as a joke gift, immediately ordered 10 more pairs. Barring a career change to Sock Enthusiast/blogger, this is hopefully the first and last time I'll ever be evangelizing for socks.
0Comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2011
I buy these for my husband. He's a Railroad Freight Conductor and requires a good, and long-lasting (durable), sock.

WEATHER

They are excellent for Spring and Autumn weather only. With only 17% Wool, they keep the chill off one's feet, but will not keep that 'cold-to-the-bone' at bay. For that, you need to get the Carhartt 'Arctic' socks, (37% Wool)*** (See 'EDIT' below).

LENGTH & DURABILITY

They are 'Boot Length', (which means 'just-over-the-calf'), Wear well, and Wash well. No pilling. And, being just-over-the-calf, they stay up... which is good news for boot wearers.

SIZING

The Sizing was a bit of a problem. My husband wears a 10 1/2 boot, so, you would think he'd take the large-size sock that supposedly fits a 10-12 shoe. Wrong. We found that the socks were too tight both in the feet and in the calf, and sent them back in exchange for the Extra-Large, (fitting shoe size 12-15), and those fit him perfectly. No tightness whatsoever... just a very nice fit that gives good support as well.

THE 'FEEL'

They have no Toe-seams, are totally Re-inforced, and are so Soft & Cushy in the Toe and Heel. He says he even feels support in his Arch... a good thing for a man who is setting out cars and walking those tracks at all hours of the day and night.
________________________________________________________

SUMMARY

My husband is very pleased with these socks, and so am I. It seemed to take forever to find the right kind of sock for him-- Weather-wise, Fit-wise, and Quality-wise; but after many trials and errors, we finally found his 'holy grail' of Spring/Autumn-weather work socks.

Go get 'em... you'll be glad you did.

***EDIT: DECEMBER 8-2011: I just found these other Carhartt socks, 'Carhartt Men's Artic Wool Heavy Boot Socks'. With 87% Wool, my husband says these are the bomb for Winter Weather, far exceeding the 37% Wool of the 'Carhartt Extremes Wool Arctic Boot Sock' I mentioned above. Take as look... Carhartt Men's Artic Wool Heavy Boot Socks
66 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2012
i got the blue pair and they look awesome. at first i wasn't happy with these socks. i felt they were too thin to be considered 'cold weather' socks....and i still do believe that BUT i have consistently hunted these out when i get home from work and want to chill out...

they feel awesome. no....they dont provide all the necessary warmth but they certainly do very well under indoor winter weather. outside....not so much.... working on the alaska pipeline? dont get these....driving around your hometown, working indoors, going to the store, chilling at home, local bar, etc....perfect.

but as i said....i always look for these as soon as i get home....most comfortable socks ive ever owned....i recommend the XL pair (im a 12 and XL is perfect)
on December 22, 2010
These socks are very comfortable but did not keep my feet very warm and dry as the the temperature got colder. My feet felt cold and clammy while I was wearing them. I got some army cold weather boot socks that perform far better than these.
on September 29, 2011
I have a bad foot and as soon as I put one sock on that foot, I could feel the difference! The way it conformed to my foot without feeling 'clingy' or uncomfortable. I purchased 2 pair of these (I will order more now that I know...) to wear with my LaCrosse Men's 10" Game Country Hunting Boot I purchased for an upcoming trail hike and I am confident my feet will stay warm and dry with this combination. The sizing chart/info was "spot on"! As usual with Amazon Prime... ordering was fast and easy, delivery was super fast, packaging was 'content appropriate', and the product made me happy! Thanks Amazon!
on November 27, 2013
Good size, nice color, good for cold season. Very comfortable and the best thing these are not made in China, we keep American Industry running and creating jobs!!! for ourselfs.
on December 12, 2015
For my needs, these Carhartt Men's Extremes Cold Weather Socks worked great. The Carhartt name alone means quality and perfromance. Having put these on and wearing my winter boots, these fit perfect for me. They are 70% Acrylic, 15% Wool, 13% Nylon and 1% Lycra. I don't live in an extreme cold weather area, but it does get cold and sometimes very cold.

Just make sure you have room in your boots for thick or winter socks. 1/2 size larger at least is what you should be wearing to offset the additional thickness in your boots. Otherwise, you get that tight bulging feet that begin to hurt due to tightness of what you are wearing, lack of ability to wick moisture and the air pocket of warmth created. You get everything pressed against your feet, your feet lose circulation and the cold just burns right through onto your feet and your feet feels it and gets ice cold fast despite what you are wearing on them. Make sure your boots can accommodate thicker socks. If not, get a pair of winter boots 1/2 size larger for the winter or cold weather when you need them. You can still wear hose 1/2 size larger boots in the summer with thick hiking socks that breath and wick moisture. The thickness of these socks are fairly thick, but they are very comfortable.

If you need a thinner pair of Winter wool socks, you can try the Carhartt Triple Blend Cold Weather socks. Carhartt Men's Triple Blend Thermal Boot Socks, HeatherGrey, 10-13 Sock/6-12 Shoe They are thinner in construction and are sleeker than the Extremes ones. The Triple Blend ones are 43% Acrylic, 21% Polyester, 19% Wool, 16% Nylon and 1% Lycra. They have a little bit more % of wool, but the combination of other materials makes for a sleeker, thinner sock and is not as warm as the Extremes one. From what I read, they are popular with our US military men and women abroad that request things from home to wear on their feet in their boots.

If you need really warm socks the Carhartt Arctic Wool Heavtweight Cold Weather socks are the thickest warmest work socks they have available that I am aware. Carhartt Men's Arctic Wool Heavy Boot Socks, Brown, 10-13 Sock/6-12 Shoe They are the ones for bad weather situations for those working on fishing boats and in the snow and arctic conditions. They are 85% Wool, 6% Nylon, 4% Polyester, 1% Lycra and 4% Other Fibers. They are thicker than the Extremes socks for sure. If you buy them, make sure you know everything you need to know about wool socks and the proper size boots to wear with these wool socks or else you may suffer from pain and cold rather than gain from comfort and warmth. As for the Extremes ones from Carhartt, they work best for me. They provide excellent warmth. My feet stay dry from the moisture wicking. And, my feet don't overheat from wearing them. The 15% wool content limits any uncomfortable feeling with wearing wool socks, and they add enough to my needs for warmth working with my own body temperature creating a good warm air pocket in my boots.

I recommend these socks for those that have the right boots for them. Otherwise, the Triple Blend ones may work better for you for the boots you have if they are not sized for additional thickness from winter socks. They may not be as warm by a little bit , but you would be wearing the right size socks that work with your boots and moisture wicking occurs, drying your feet and creating that warm air pocket of comfort. Your socks and boots have to work together for your feet otherwise one or both work against you.

If you plan on wearing sock liners as well, the Carhartt sock liners are quality and comfortable, but they will add more thickness under your socks and in your boots. So, be prepared to have the right size boots if you are planning to wear both Winter wool socks and sock liners as well. Carhartt Men's 3 Pack Liner Socks, Black, 10-13 Sock/6-12 Shoe They will work together as log as you use them together in the right situation on your feet.

If you are just looking for socks to keep your feet warm when you sleep or walking around the home, these are perfect. Stay away from Cotton socks even at home or sleeping in cold weather. Cotton absorbs moisture and your feet freeze.
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2014
I absolutely will have to ask you to read through this note and learn why if your feet get cold in winter, are cold all the time, some of the time, basically if you have ever had cold feet or legs up to your, STOP looking!

I have been a peripheral Neuropothy patient for the past four years. In those four years I have tried more than twenty prescription drugs, UA thermal socks, underwear, Harley socks, Harley thermals, mor then twenty different types of wool socks, blended socks, and the list could go on for a page. I read over 100 of the reviews here, because I had about given up hope that my leg would ever get warm, feel warm again. The expense has been e immense, and livig on SSDI, enough was enough. They came in the mail yesterday at about 500PM, our mail man adjusts his route sometimes for whatever reason. I was excited, all the other reviews were so positive I was pretty much expecting something, about mid accurate for performance. I put one on the one foot and left my other wool sock on the other one, an wanted to see if there was a real difference. I thought I could psych myself out. NO WAY !! Within two to three minutes, my new sock covered leg and ankle where warm. I am no way exaggerating this. then slowly, four years of pain and cold where beginning to vanish and I put the other one on.

I slept with these bad boys on and let me tell you, it was not only one of the most wonder sleeping nights I have had in a decade. In less than 24 hours, over a four year span of damage to my feet are being melted away. I am in tears, no fooling brother. i truly think that this company has a side to it which knows my pain and suffering, and my families from the pain and drugs, and all that goes on with chronic pain and endowed it to have this be the answer for me to get some what normality to return on my legs.

Carthill, thank you from the very bottom of my heart for the quality you have invested in these socks! J Johnson
on January 7, 2015
I ordered a pair of these Carhartt extreme cold and a pair of the Carhartt arctic socks to see which one would work the best for my husband's needs. He is really happy with these socks for "normal" cold weather when running around town, etc. and the temperatures are in the teens. He wears a size 11 shoe and I bought him a Large. They fit perfect.

When the temperatures are in the teens he likes these the best as the arctics are too hot.

It is 20 below 0 today with a wind chill of 40 below and my husband is so happy I got him the arctic socks too. They are keeping his feet warm in these arctic temperatures outside.

I will be ordering more of both kinds of socks, now that I know. The arctic socks were too hot for him when the temperatures were in the teens making these extreme cold socks the perfect solution and the arctic socks are perfect for below zero temperatures.