5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, comfortable boots, January 6, 2007
This particular Carhartt is a very nice boot, with features seen on other, often more expensive boots, notably some models in the Danner line. Although the product desription states that they are brown, they are in fact, black. Carhartt also makes a non-steel toe in this style, which is brown, which would make a good hunting boot. I need steel toes, because I work in a locomotive shop, climbing on, in, and under giant prime movers, walking on gravel, railroad ties, concrete, and steel all day. At the end of the day, my feet feel great. I've worn various styles of renowned Red Wing boots in years past, and they were no more comfortable than these, sometimes not even AS comfortable.
These Carhartts are constructed using the "stitchdown" method, in which the upper leather portion flares out and is sewn to the midsole. You can see the stiching which holds the leather upper to the midsole running around the outside edge. This provides a broad foundation for stability, and is quite comfortable as well. The outsole is dual-density Vibram, with a abrasion resistant outer layer, and a slightly cushier inner layer, exactly the same sole used on Danner Mountain Light, Explorer, and Acadia boots.
The leather used is quite thick and sturdy, with a distinct grain. There appears to be an extra thickness of leather sewn over the toe and around the heel. The interior of the boot is lined with a proprietary waterproof bootie, Thinsulate insulation, and has a removable contoured insole. They definitely do help keep my feet warm when working on chilly iron locomotives during the winter. In 95 degree summer heat, my ankles did feel somewhat warm. The waterproof lining appears to be similar to Gore-Tex, and combined with wool-blend or acrylic hiking socks, allows the boots to breathe so that perspiration can be wicked away to the outside. When I take the boots off at home, my socks and feet are still dry. I've not yet had an opportunity to test the waterproof qualities of these boots.
The tongue is nicely padded, so the sturdy laces don't cause discomfort across the shins or instep. The laces run through six eyelets, then around four sets of speed hooks. These almost qualify as "lace to toe" boots, as the lowest eyelets are fairly low, just about an inch behind the edge of the steel toe. This makes the fit of the boot a little more adjustable a little lower on the foot, and is visually distinctive and attractive. Work boots don't HAVE to look like clod-hoppers, and these Carhartts certainly do not.
If you need steel-toe boots for work, these can definitely provide protection you need and comfort you want. I wear mine at least 45 hours each week, now for 46 months. They've been scuffed against sharp metal edges, showered with sparks from plasma cutters, torches, and welders, even had molten metal dripped on them. Although no longer new in appearance, I like these well enough that I had them resoled, and wear them regularly. I also purchased a new pair of Carhartt 3726, the same boot except brown and in a lower, 6 inch height. Otherwise, same styling, lining, sole, and same luxuriously comfortable fit.

4.0 out of 5 stars good boots so far, October 8, 2011
I'm in the Coast Guard, and i just got the boots and so far they seem to be really good. They shine up pretty easily and they're very cushioned. On other reviews, people said that they bought half a size smaller and i'm happy I did. They fit like a gem. I look forward to wearing them in an operational environment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good., August 23, 2011
I wear these with my Coast Guard uniform. They're good boots. Coming from Danner Acadia's, I'd say they're great boots for the price. Very similar to the Danners. They're a bit on the clunky side, but they're comfortable.

The only concern that I have is that I can feel the edge of the safety toe above my toes as I step. It's annoying, but seeing that I've only been wearing them for a short while, they're still breaking in. The overall quality is pretty good.

FWIW: after reading other reviews (on Amazon and elsewhere), I decided to buy a half-size smaller. I wear 10.5 in street shoes and Danner boots. The 10's that I ordered here fit perfect.

6 months update: These boots are still going strong, and my job tends to be pretty hard on boots. I wouldn't be surprised if I still had two years left in them, as they still look somewhat new if I shine them up. The only concern I have is that I wish the sides with the lace holes were further apart. As I continue to wear them and lace them up, it feels like the sides are getting too close, and the laces too long (I've already had to trim back the laces and burn the ends). Still, good boots, would still recommend them, and I'd still suggest getting a half size smaller than what you normally wear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Boots, August 13, 2011
These boots are well made and with care should last for years. They are stitched so the soles can be replaced. My only problems were with fit. I typically wear 9.5-10 I had to order a 9. The other fit problem would be the ankles, I have skinny ankles, and by the time I get them laced up the lace hooks at the top are nearly touching. For the price I just wish they fit better. So if you have the legs of a lumberjack you should be set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Boots I've Ever Owned., January 13, 2011
This review is from: Carhartt Men's ST 8" Lace to Toe Boot (Apparel)
I'm not one for writing reviews, but these boots deserve it. I've gone through many a pair of expensive boots and all have failed to impress me except these Carhartts. I have worn them everyday, all day (sometimes up to 16 hours a day) for almost three years, through mud, snow, rock, glass... you name it. They are not too cold in the winter, and not too hot in the summer. The soles have worn nearly flat, but they are certainly worth re-soling because I doubt I'll ever come across a better boot. They are more comfortable than I could have ever hoped for, and at times I'll plop down on the couch and forget I'm even wearing them. I've even shined these up and worn them under dress pants for special occasions. They don't look goofy like work boots usually do.

That said, I'd like to see Carhartt expand on this design, especially with some cold and hot weather specific, as well as non-metallic safety toe versions.

Carhartt Men's ST 8" Lace to Toe Boot