5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and Wears Like Iron
Like the unlined Carhartt work pants made of the same washed duck, these have outstanding wear characteristics. They look darn good, too. I got a pair of these to supplement my unlined pairs of the same pants for those chilly days when I have to work outside when it is cold. Here are some points of observation based on my wear:

Pros:

* Tough -...
Published on January 19, 2012 by M. Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars Non-Standard Sizing
I ordered the size I wear on almost all of my slacks and jeans. These were about an inch or so tighter, and about 2 inches longer based on my other slacks. The return policy was a breeze, however.
Published on January 4, 2011 by M. Hinze

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and Wears Like Iron, January 19, 2012
This review is from: Carhartt Men's Washed Duck Work Dng Flannel Lined (Apparel)

Pros:

* Tough - Carhartt washed duck wears like ballistic tent canvas. Where my denim jeans have been worn to tatters with holes in the knees, these pants keep going strong. The fabric is very good at resisting tears and abrasions. Some of the conditions I've thrown at it (kneeling while working): gravel, dirt, asphalt, concrete, and composite roof shingles. I don't own a pair of pants that last longer and wear better under heavy work conditions. Period.

* Comfortable - You'd expect that these would be stiff enough to stand on their own given how they wear. Not so. These are comfortable pants. While heavy, the fabric is also soft. The unlined version is plenty comfortable to wear even in the heat of the summer, but these flannel lined pants keep you warm in the winter. The construction of the pants make them very comfortable to wear when you are actively working - this is especially important if you have to do a lot of kneeling, bending, or climbing for your job. I am a contractor and these are very comfortable to wear all day long.

* Construction/Quality - The zipper is a heavy brass YKK unit that operates smoothly, and the button is likewise heavy. Utility pockets are sensibly sized and placed, as if the designer actually used them to carry tools, rather than imagining so. The hammer loop is wide and will accommodate a full-size framing hammer. Nice. Seams are double and even triple stitched in areas of stress, complementing the fabric with equally sturdy fit construction. Front slash pockets and rear pockets are likewise well made and generously sized. There are seven belt loops, providing good suspension if you load the pants down with tools, and they are wide enough to fit a heavy leather belt.

* Warm - These are flannel lined, after all, and they are superb at keeping the cold at bay. Though the flannel doesn't seem to be very heavy, these are warm pants and are effective at keeping the wind from cutting through the fabric. It would have to get really cold for me to break out the long johns to wear with these.

* Sizing - I find the waist to be true to size, though the flannel does make these a bit more snug around the waist than the unlined pants. I'd say if your regular size is on the tight side, err on the side of caution and add an inch to the waist when getting the flannel lined version. I really like the cut of the legs on these pants - they are roomy without being baggy, making them extremely comfortable to wear, especially on the jobsite when a lot of movement called for.

Cons:

* None to date

Other Thoughts:

* Styling - These don't have a lot of styling cues that some other work pants attempt to add. As work pants, they don't need it. That being said, I think these are good looking and - unless they are covered with grime or dirt from the job - I don't think twice about using these for casual wear, going to the bank, picking up a bottle of milk on the way home, etc. The choice of colors is limited, but I do think the colors that are available complement the nature of these pants.

* Cost - I always seek value, without regard to cost, and I think these pants offer up solid value at non-sale prices based on their quality, utility, and longevity. Get them on sale, though, and they represent a steal. I got my last pair for twenty bucks which I consider to be silly-inexpensive for these pants, and I wish I'd bought a few pair.

If you work outside in the cold and you need pant that are as warm as they are tough, these are for you. These are what you want to wear when you are out on the woodlot, cutting down trees and chopping firewood in the January snow. They also happen to be great casual wear for a cold weekend out in the yard or at the ballgame... Recommended.

*** UPDATE 01/23/12 ***

Something to consider if you plan on wearing these while working on a sloped surface, like a pitched roof: When kneeling, the flannel lining will move against the outside fabric. On a roof, for example, this is slightly unsettling. Unlined work pants allow your knee to 'set' against the fabric if you are kneeling on an inclined plane, but these lined work pants work a little differently - as I discovered putting a new roof on my garage before the rain came this past weekend. I stand by my rating, but I thought I would add this latest experience to my review.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice pants but on the long side, January 30, 2010
Szu-ping Lee "Ping" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This flannel lined pants is my winter workhorse. Very soft and roomy, won't restrict your leg range of motion at all. However, it wrinkles easily after wash and stays that way even after weeks of wearing. Another thing is that they are cut on the long side. I'm 6'2 190lbs, usually 34L fits me perfect, but these are about 1~2 inches longer than other 34Ls. Not a huge deal and it actually provides better coverage and protection. Just something you should know before buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars The boy loves 'em, March 13, 2009
I bought these for my best friend who's an electrician. Working out in the Washington weather can take a beating on his clothes. He absolutely loves these pants and I bought them two years ago! Hold up very nice. Well worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars comfortable and warm, good value, January 2, 2012
nice product. these pants are not denim, but a fairly rugged Duck cloth. I've only worn them less than 10 times so I don't know how they will wear. They are more comfortable than I expected. I anticipated that they would be bulky but I don't notice them when I'm working. I can wear these at below freezing temps and not have to wear long johns or coveralls. I wore them on an open tractor pushing snow and didn't notice the cold at about 20 degrees f. Size is a little small in the waist and long in length. I wear a 34 in jeans and the 34 in these pants is a bit snug. I ordered my usual length and they drag if I wear sneakers, but are good with my boots. I would recommend these for winter, outdoor wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dungaree Decorous, January 31, 2010
I bought these for the barn and in this frigid weather the dungarees have proven to keep me warm and very comfortable. They fit well and I expect to wear them for years!

3.0 out of 5 stars Non-Standard Sizing, January 4, 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Waist fits sooooo small. Beware!, January 29, 2014
This should help you with sizing. My pant size in most brands is 33x34. And I am tall and slim. 6'1" and 170lbs. But I read the reviews about the waist fitting small and the length long, so I ordered a 34x32. Well, I had to return them because the waist was too tight and they went up my butt. Plus, I kinda would have preferred the 34 length (I think they fit only 1 inch long, not two inches). So the perfect size in my case would have been 35x34. A full 2!2!2! sizes above my regular pant size in most brands. Also, the hips were way wider than most my pants. So they are snug in the waist and balloon out in the hips and thighs.
I just returned them however and didn't reorder. I thought the fabric and lining were just OK. Maybe a little more ruff and rugged than I was hoping for.
Hope this helps.

2.0 out of 5 stars "carhart" jeans, December 9, 2010
Decent work jeans but NOT the 12 oz cotton canvas I'm used to from carhart. For the money....tolerable but not the stellar deal they appear to be. If you expect your jeans to really last (as I do) hold out for the 12 oz/yd. cotton.. and pay the $10 extra.

2.0 out of 5 stars just a bit disappointed, November 30, 2012
I ordered these pants for my husband as a replacement for the pair that he had for atleast 7 years and I must say that I was very disappointed when I open the package. The news pants that I ordered are no where as thick as the older wore out pair. I even compared tags thinking I had ordered the wrong ones , and the tags were exactly the same. I definitely do not see the new pair being as warm or holding up like the old pair.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice pants, January 18, 2013
I can't figure out Carhartt sizing. I finally threw out a favored pair of Carhartt flannel pants after 6 years or so and couldn't find my size again off the rack., so ordered on line. I'm a 34x34 in most any other pant, have been for a long time. Needed to send my first pair back. Way too tight in the waist and much too long in the inseam. Sending things back costs. Despite being credited shipping for the next order ($5 something), it costs almost $10 for my PO to ship it. Ordered a pair of 36 x 32 and they'll work although they are a little big. Pants themselves are great. My absolute favorite for winter snowblowing, outside chores etc. Anyway, those are the hazards of online ordering But don't even think that these will be the same size as your daily pants. 3 stars only for the hassle, 5 stars for the pants themselves.

Carhartt Men's  Washed Duck Work Dng Flannel Lined