5.0 out of 5 stars Best Jacket Ever!
Published on January 22, 2010 by K. McArthur

2.0 out of 5 stars Carhartt Changed Styles?
The jacket photo shown on Amazon is the "old style," notice the left breast pocket, the straight-cut sleeves, & if they showed the interior of that jacket, it would be all black. When I received the jacket in 2 days (Prime Shipping), the breast pocket was not as expected, the sleeve was angle-cut, & interior pocket & trim were grey. I ordered the jacket according...
Published 9 days ago by Hiker-A-Rama

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Jacket Ever!, January 22, 2010
This review is from: Carhartt Men's Waterproof Breathable Jacket (Apparel)
I am an electrical contractor and I needed a rugged jacket that would stand up to rain, wind, and abuse in general. I have purchased many different clothes from many different manufactures in my 14 years in the trade, and I can say that in general Carhartt products are the best for my use. So when I needed a jacket that was waterproof, I went to REI and looked at Patagonia, Colombia and others. First those jackets seemed expensive and mostly I was unimpressed by how light and cheep they seemed. Then I started looking on-line and found this Carhartt jacket. I was hesitant at first after reading some of the reviews, but I am glad I went through with the purchase. It is by far the best jacket I have ever purchased. It is not bulky, yet it is make out of what looks like Cordura. As it states it is weatherproof. So I tested it in a rain storm yesterday. I was on a service call on a roof fixing an electrical problem at an apartment complex. I had the hood on and the drawstrings tight, also the drawstrings around the bottom of the jacket keep it snug. I was not wet at all. The water just beads up on the outside of the jacket, like a car with a good wax job. Its has three zippered outside pockets that work great, and have tabs on them for ease of use. I had a check in the "map" pocket that did not get wet at all. It is comfortable to wear and flexible enough to work in. I ordered a large and the sizes seem to run big, but I can also wear a nice thick sweatshirt underneath. I am planning on purchasing more of these and putting my company logo on the front and giving them to my best customers.
Bottom line is this is a great jacket, rugged, waterproof, and comfortable and I can tell it will last along time!

5.0 out of 5 stars great jacket, October 14, 2008
All the other reviews cover it all.
If ordering online to where you cannot try it on, consider goin' down a size,
as it does run a bit bigger- which is nice- still comfortable and able to layer in extra warmth underneath.
And the hood is uncomfortable to where it does not easily rotate with your head, and blocks your vision a bit. I need to play with it more.
However, I did give it 5 stars anyway- 'cause overall it is a killer jacket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rain, rain, go away. No seriously, BACK UP., January 12, 2012
This review is from: Carhartt Men's Waterproof Breathable Jacket (Apparel)
I got this jacket for Christmas a few weeks ago, and while I've never owned a Carhartt jacket before, I could tell it would be very useful just by the quality of the materials. My job, while a very physical one, isn't outdoors, but since I live in Oregon, and walk/bike 3 miles to and from work most days, a good rain jacket is a necessity. This one certainly gets the job done, and I've been wearing it on an almost daily basis, and have thrown my thin rain coat into the closet, never wearing it since getting this beauty. The short story is that there's literally nothing wrong with this jacket. Not in terms of design, comfort, durability, none of that. But you definitely need to try one on before ordering, or at least make sure you check all the sizing info right down to the exact measurement. Since this was a gift, and the tags were taken off, I wasn't able to exchange it for a smaller size. I got a Medium and it can literally wrap around me like a robe. Just for reference, I'm 5'10" and 155lbs...pretty average when it comes to it, but these suckers definitely run big, as others have said. Even though I match the size on chest and arms according to the size chart, I'm a small in the waist portion, and that might be what these go by.

The amount of storage you get with this jacket is great. You have three standard pockets on the front: two near the waist and one on the left breast. These are very roomy and can close with zippers. I've fit an entire bicycle cable in one of these, with enough room for my keys and iPod in its case. On the inside, you have one pocket on each side, with one of them featuring an additional smaller pocket for small things like a lighter, change, anything like that. The inside of the jacket is lined with a mesh-like material, but the pockets are all reinforced, so there's no worrying about one of them suddenly getting a hole or anything like that. The jacket closes with both buttons and a zipper, ensuring that wind and rain won't even come close to your clothes underneath. What really got me was that they put an extra little flap that goes over the collarbone area. It might not seem like it'd help much, but it definitely makes a difference on windy nights. Carhartt even went the extra mile in giving the neck closure several strips of velcro, all perfectly put on and very sturdy. And the hood is fastened on with buttons, so you can remove it if you wish. But you know what the best feature is? The openings at the bottom of the sleeves feature additional cuffs, like the athletic under armor shirts. Not too loose or too tight, these cuffs will keep wind out 100% of the time, and as much as I like the jacket, if it weren't for these, I'd probably give it 4 stars instead. Whoever thought to put these on is a genius. How many times has wind went up your sleeves in other coats or jackets while you're just walking around, messing up with your comfort? That won't happen here.

And do I even have to mention the waterproof factor? You can wipe the raindrops right off, and no matter how hard it's poured when I go home, this jacket has never stayed damp overnight like others I own. When I get home, it goes on the coat rack, and when I leave for work the next morning, it's as if it was never in the rain.

Since I got a bigger size than I'd like, this may not apply to one that would've fit, but the hood on this thing is pretty big. So big that it doesn't move when I turn my head to look left or right- it just stays in place, not flexing with movement. If you get a chance to try this on before buying, make sure you put the hood on to see if the same thing happens. I know at the beginning of this review I said that I love everything about this jacket and there's nothing wrong with it, and I stand by that. Maybe it just doesn't move around because of the size issue. I don't know. If you wear a hat though, everything's fine.

This is one of those rare cases where the price of the clothing is justified. Not only is the jacket comfortable (if a bit big), but it really does protect you from the rain and wind. This is the kind of thing you'll be keeping for a long time if you get it. And hey, it comes in a cool variety of colors too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Waterproof Jacket I've Ever Owned..., June 17, 2011
This Carhartt is the best waterproof jacket I've ever owned. I am a trucker and was looking for something light weight and provided good coverage. This jacket gives me that and is truly waterproof and breathable. It is light enough to wear when driving, but acts as a wind breaker to keep you warm when outside in the wind and rain. I ordered the TALL version because I was not sure about the sleeve length. They are a bit long; actually they almost cover my entire hand, but the cuffs are adjustable and this helps. I choose the jacket over the coat because I didn't want it to bee too long. Its perfect and I can wear a thicker jacket underneath if I wish too. Roomy but not too much.

The color BLACK is my color. It matches my BLACK coveralls and looks distinctive. I hate the brown color.

I also appreciate the outside pockets. Since I wear glasses, it is convenient to store them in the top pocket when jumping in and out of the truck. The zippered pockets work well when I have to fold BOL's and run in to the shippers and receivers. It keeps them dry. The hook seems tough when I hang the jacket and so far I am not worried about it breaking anytime soon. Little things like how the seams are turned back and stitched to keep keep water out. And the spandex cuffs keeps the sleeve where you want it; at your wrist and not sliding up your arms.

i read another review about the hood being too big. I just turn it back at the tip and this keeps it off your face. The large hood is great for wearing baseball caps; it seems to fit just over the edge of the cap bib and helps it to stay dry. A lot of thought went into making this jacket.

I have recommended this jacket to one of my co-workers. I hope he try it. I am sure he will love it like I do.

Best advice for stormy weather: STAY INSIDE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly light, functional, well fitting jacket, May 14, 2007
Jack Woodruff (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm on the tall thin side and this jacket works great alone or as a shell over a fleece on colder days. only complaint is that the hood doesn't tighten and so comes off in the wind or on my bike.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Happy With It, September 23, 2008
I just picked up one of these Carhartt J162 jackets from Bass Pro Shop's/Outdoor World about two weeks ago. The jacket is sized a little bit on the big side to make room if you want to wear layers. I'm not to fond of the hood though. The front of the hood tends to slip down and block your vision a bit. I think the hood might be constructed for use to either wear some sort of hat or helmet underneath.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great!!!, January 4, 2010
This review is from: Carhartt Men's Waterproof Breathable Jacket (Apparel)
I'm really happy with this jacket. It's super rugged and comfortable and it has tons of pockets. You can tighten the hood with drawstrings now. I often commute by bike and I ride in the rain. This jacket will keep you dry. It's not super warm. I'm in northern CA it gets foggy here so for most conditions it's prefect on it's own but it's light enough to go over another jacket (like my Detroit Carhartt) without feeling like you're embarking on an arctic adventure or a space walk. I'm pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - Just know the sizing runs LARGE, February 9, 2012
Anne J. (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carhartt Men's Waterproof Breathable Jacket (Apparel)
Just got this for V-day for my husband - it's GORGEOUS.

BUT

He's a "regular" big dude: 6-1", 230lbs, waist 36". He usually gets L or XL-size shirts, jackets, etc., depending on the brand, but he wanted this in XL because he plans on wearing hoodies under it.

We just got it in the mail and it's so big on him he's practically swimming in it - the quality is FANTASTIC - exactly what we were expecting and wanted - so nothing wrong there, it's just way too big. The waist/torso of the coat doesn't even touch his waist or hips - it just hangs from his shoulders like a big moo-moo. Anyway, back in the box it goes today for an exchange for a smaller size. We didn't check the sizing before ordering, so it's "our fault," so it still gets 5 stars because it is a really great quality jacket otherwise.

Anyway, if you think you need an XL, get an L; if you think you need an L, get a M, and so on, unless you plan on wearing your winter coat and 3 hoodies underneath the jacket at all times.

If you like a lean fit, you might even consider going 2 sizes down - just make sure to check Carhartt's sizing measurements before you order :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, February 25, 2011
Robert L Applegate (NEW CUMBERLAND, WV, US) - See all my reviews
I find this jacket to be very effective thus far. It is cut very full and accomodates insulation layers with ease for winter weather. Don't oversize however, I'm 210 lbs with 47" chest and Large Regular fits like Extra Large. Everyone who sees it is curious.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Jacket, November 22, 2012
This is perhaps the best jacket I have ever purchased. It is a medium weight coat, not something you would wear as a heavy duty parka in the coldest of conditions, but because it is waterproof I find it to be a fantastic top layer in almost all conditions. I will generally wear this coat any time the high temperature is predicted to top out in the forty degree or lower range. When it gets to the depth of winter, and you are looking at highs below say twenty five, I throw a sweatshirt under this coat and I am fine, and more prepared for all conditions because of the aforementioned waterproof attribute of this garment. After two years of steady use it shows a few marks of consistent wear, but over all durability has been excellent. I am a real supporter of Carhartt products, and this jacket has proved to be no exception to this rule.

Carhartt Men's Waterproof Breathable Jacket