5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged & Waterproof
Published on March 25, 2010 by bill hamer

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY HEAVY coat
This coat is VERY HEAVY. Great for heavy rain, but not something you would wear "just in case." Be advised that it runs very LARGE, I would strongly recommend ordering a size down.
Published on January 4, 2012 by Anonymouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged & Waterproof, March 25, 2010
This review is from: Carhartt Men's PVC Waterproof Rain Coat (Apparel)
This is perfect for heavy downpours - when a water repellant raincoat isn't enough. As one should expect for this type of raincoat, it's probably not very breathable. However, here's a sizing suggestion for anyone ordering one. The attached tag that came with it states it is "oversized for layering." Since I didn't find that information in the Amazon product description before ordering it, I ordered a large size. I normally wear between medium and large, and I wanted to be sure that there would be room for layering. Unfortunately the large size turned out to be a bit too large for me. If I had known that that these are oversized, I would have ordered a medium.

4.0 out of 5 stars Farm and Construction Tough, April 4, 2010
M. Swaim (NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carhartt Men's PVC Waterproof Rain Coat (Apparel)
While I could wish that it wasn't made of PVC for a number of reasons ranging from environmental and health concerns to basic comfort; PVC is hot when it's hot and cold and clammy when it's cold; the simple fact of the matter is we haven't found anything else that stands up to the rigors of hard, abrasive work while keeping one dry in a deluge. I've tried Gore-Tex and it's layered barrier clones. Those breathable suits are great for hiking through light mist. But, in terms of having a full Nor'Wester suit that can keep one dry while chasing critters through a monsoon, PVC is still (regrettably), the standard. After having other rain jackets fail us, we bought his and hers Carhartt PVC rain suits including the bibs, and they've become our working standards for protection against serious downpours and high winds.

I got the extra large tall thinking that I wanted to make sure I had room enough underneath for lots of layering. I needn't have bothered since these are quite generously cut as it is. I'm very pleased with the overall quality of construction and the attention to detail. It's little things like having waterproof stretchy cuffs and reinforced wear areas such as the knees on the bibs that set the Carhartt rain gear apart from the competition such as the Stearn gear. The suits have proven to be surprisingly tough. Mine has stood up to briars, sharp straw, metal roofing tin and serious amounts of mud. That was one of the failure points of the permeable barrier type jackets. Get them good and dirty and they stop working. That's not an issue with these heavy duty PVC rain suits, though they don't "breathe" at all and I generally choose to come out of it as soon as the rain blows over.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the oilfield!, December 30, 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Carhartt Men's PVC Waterproof Rain Coat (Apparel)
I work on a drilling rig and use this item more for keeping oil based mud off me and my clothes than for keeping rain off. It works great for both. Very sturdy. I got this top and I also got the bibs that go with it. I worked through one blizzard this year and only had blue jeans, and a shirt and coat on with this suit over it and stayed warm and dry all night. This is the first suit that I have ever purchased that has lasted more than one hitch (7 days). This is a great product and I would recommend it to anyone. Well worth the price. I will be buying again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Singing in the rain!, November 15, 2009
This is one tough rain coat. It reminds me of my military issue rain coat back in the 70's. I'm going to line it with a poncho liner. You could wear this thing in the snow! You will be kept warm and dry with this coat whether it is raining or not. Freezing where you are? No problem, this will work just as well as a jacket too.

Georgene "Walking on Sunshine Matsuyama."

5.0 out of 5 stars Dry at last!, November 17, 2010
Peter R. (Rochester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I have had a number of raincoats and have been frustrated that they only seem to work in situations where there is only light rain. They all had high tech fabrics and had the ability to breath. In a real downpour they seldom seemed effective. They seemed to get saturated as they aged, and left you damp. I know you can treat them to enhance their water resistance, but I never seem to get around to it. The Carhartt Pvc rain coat has been a great find. When you have to walk the dogs and it is pouring outside you stay totally dry. This coat is heavy and durable. The water just rolls off it. The price is very reasonable. It too has some draw backs. If you intend to be working or exercising this coat will feel like a sauna suit. It is definitely going to be difficult to tolerate in extreme heat, even if you are not engaged in a vigorous activity. If you were fishing or in a duck blind or out for a casual stroll this is going to be just the ticket. So before buying consider your needs or you may be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Smaller!, December 19, 2012
Great rain coat but they run very large. I weigh 190 and stand 6'1" tall. I would normally buy large or XL. Thanks to other reviews bought medium which is just right.

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY HEAVY coat, January 4, 2012
Anonymouse (Here and there) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars charhart rain coat #1, October 29, 2010
The best Rain coat that I ever had is tough and strong can not find anything better than this Rain coat Love it.carhart they make the best things to wear for working for people that work tough Jobs and easy job also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Quality, December 1, 2011
This review is from: Carhartt Men's PVC Waterproof Rain Coat (Apparel)
This raincoat is of an amazingly high quality - second to none. I've owned several sets over the years, both civilian sets and military sets, and this one is by far the most rugged and waterproof set ever. It's heavy duty thick PVC that repels even the worst downpour - it will seriously keep you dry.

It is however non-breathable, so make sure and wear something appropriate underneath, as it'll get rather warm, just from your own body heat. I always layer my outdoor clothing, so I can easily adjust to any temperature. It is a heavy raincoat; none of that flimsy nylon "water repellant" stuff here.

As far as sizing goes, it is definitely well over-sized. I usually wear a 2X-Tall (sometimes a 3X-Tall), and I found that a 2X-Tall is more than sufficient for me, also allowing for plenty of layers of clothes underneath.

I would highly recommend it to anyone needing a serious raincoat, however, for your everyday "go shopping"-raincoat, this is a little overkill.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Good Slicker, September 8, 2011
R. Wright (Deep South, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carhartt Men's PVC Waterproof Rain Coat (Apparel)
|The Carhartt PVC Rain Coat is a rubber slicker. Period. All 4 1/2 pounds of it. But that's a good thing if you want to stay dry. I've tried Gore-Tex and all the new variations of breathable, water-resistant fabrics, and none of them keep you dry like a rubber slicker. I bought this for a trip to Alaska and it did the job.

The only issue is the full-size cut of the coat. I'm a big guy and I ordered a tall-medium which turned out to be enormous.

Highly recommend if you want to stay dry and have room for a friend.

Carhartt Men's PVC Waterproof Rain Coat