Published on December 24, 2012 by S. Kim

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizing is way off
Vendor is great, but Carhartt is really unpredictable with their sizing.

I read some reviews telling me to err on the side of a smaller size if you're between sizes. I usually run between L and XL, so I followed this advice and got a large. I'm pretty broad at the shoulder, but when I tried it on it looked like I was wearing football shoulder pads...
Published 14 months ago by Brendan Coffin

5.0 out of 5 stars 5'11" and 167lbs with a 32 waist. Size Small fits me perfectly., December 24, 2012
S. Kim (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
My other Carhartt, the J140 Duck Active Quilted Lined Jacket is also a size small but it feels like a very large medium or a slightly small large. I wear a size 38 suit and this C61 coat feels like a slim fit 38. It's not too tight where I'm uncomfortable to sit but it's not too loose where I feel like I'm swimming in it. There's still room for a snug sweatshirt underneath on those really cold nights. As I add to my Carhartt collection, I've been more and more perplexed by their sizing. I bought a V02 Vest and the medium fits me well. Small was almost too tight to zip up. The J140 jacket runs extremely large where I wish there was a size smaller than small. This C61 in small is a perfect fit. It runs a bit slimmer than the V02 Vest.

It's not the warmest jacket. It's not toasty warm like the Active jacket. It's a great coat to layer with when working outside. I wish the arms were sherpa lined instead of quilts. It's not as warm as the sherpa body. The nylon quilted arms feel comparable to that of the J140 but it's not as warm. Don't notice a thing when I'm working though. It's a fantastic coat to just grab and go when you're gonna be in and out of cars and buildings. And speaking of going in and out of cars, the double zipper is unbelievably convenient for this. Before getting in, just zip the bottom up a little. The outter chest pocket is a big plus for me. I often keep my phone in there so that I can listen to it. And the lined pockets... that's the best part! The pockets are sherpa lined and definitely a welcome feature. The J140 isn't lined and I was quite disappointed with that. The V02 vest has an insulation that works even better than the sherpa lining in this C61. The freedom of movement in the arms is excellent. I know I'm missing a lot of details but I'm sure that others have already written about them. The dark brown is a very handsome color but I love this coat so much that I may get the black as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizing is way off, December 29, 2013
Vendor is great, but Carhartt is really unpredictable with their sizing.

It seemed to be a good quality jacket, but be even more conservative about your size: if you usually wear a large, get the infant size.

I ended up returning this and buying a different model of Carhartt at my local farm supply store. It's an XL, and it fits me perfectly.

All that said, the vendor was great: the jacket got to me quickly, and they processed the return quickly and smoothly. Just be sure and get one at least two sizes smaller than usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zipper didnt work correctly (update: zipper fine now), November 18, 2014
Ahhhhh, I LOVE this jacket. Very warm. We reside in Rural Central Illinois on a farm so need heavy clothing for chores. I also ordered the Artic Quilt Lined Hood for the jacket. Two issues. THis Duck Ridge jacket has a double zipper. You are suppose to be able to unzip the jacket from the bottom up as well from the top down. That is an important function for me, as I am getting on my knees, getting in out of tractor ect. So I need to be able to unzip from the bottom a couple of inches to increase mobility, depending on the task I am performing. This zipper would not unzip from the bottom. So I requested a replacement jacket. I hope the second one works better. Also, I got a army green colored jacket. The arctic hood I ordered does not come in Army green color. It only comes in Moss green. So the hood is a shade darker green than the jacket. I wish the hood matched the jacket exactly, but We are not too worried about fashion here on the farm. I dont think the chickens notice the colors are off. I totally love the jackets function and quality. I hope the zipper on the replacement one is 100% functional, however. I would of given 5 stars if didnt have to reorder due to zipper issue. ..........
attached is photo of hood with jacket so you can see the slight difference in colors

Update: Actually, my wife got the zipper to work from bottom. It just took a bit of technique the first time. I need to modify this review to 5 stars now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coat. Order a size down., November 27, 2014
High quality, very warm, easy to move in, comfortable, my new favorite coat for winter. Looks great too. Oh, and listen to the people saying that you should get a smaller size. I'm 6'3 220lbs, and I ordered a XL-Tall. It could have fit someone 7' 300lbs. It was really huge. I exchanged for a L-Regular and it fits great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Size specifics for the Carharrt Ridge Coat, January 4, 2015
golferrick (Manassas, Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
I was hoping that wearing the coat would make me look like the model, but that didn't happen. However, you'll notice that it is a form-fitting jacket, and a great one if you get the proper size. I share my measurements to help you select that proper size. I read many reviews, which mostly suggested that the fit was "as expected" or "somewhat large". Baloney- It's gigantic! Don't disregard this fact to prevent the need to return your item for a smaller size, like I did. I'm 6'1", 191 pounds, with a 17" neck, 34" sleeves, 42" chest, 34" waist, 32" inseam. For shirts and jackets, I usually wear an XL, sometimes an L depending on brand. I haven't worn a Medium since High School (a long time ago). My first order was for a Large in Army Green. It was so huge and blousy I looked like a kid wearing Daddy's coat. I considered washing it in hot water to shrink it, but realized that it was so oversized it would never fit. I had to return it for a Medium, which fits perfectly, even after 1 wash and dry. I could literally wear the Medium Ridge Coat underneath the Large Ridge Coat, to give you an idea of how big we're talking about. The Medium truly fits like a large; I comfortably wear a long-sleeved Columbia fleece under it with no binding or restriction. I'm now very happy with my purchase, I love the rugged construction and the many ample pockets. I did swap colors for the Gravel, which has a black collar instead of the brown collar that most other Ridge Coats feature. If your priority is proper fit for this excellent jacket, check your ego at the door and order a full size and a half SMALLER. Really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket but runs big., January 7, 2015
Purchased as a gift for someone who typically wears XL. I choose to purchase a L based on other reviews of this product. The other reviews helped tremendously an XL would have been too big. It runs big across the shoulders into the length of the sleeves and is a bit full in the body. So make sure you order a size smaller. I tried it on and am 6' 4" 210 and typically wear a Large and I would need a medium. As far as the construction of the jacket it is Carhartt, very nice finish and will hold up to anything you throw at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quintessential Carhartt, January 8, 2013
I'm very pleased with this product. I use Carhartt gear on a nearly daily basis and appreciate their quality. This coat is not a part of my "workwear" lineup but works great for those chilly times away from the job. Fit is great with a nice roomy cut, not fitted or "athletic" but not oversized. You'll like the double zipper when you sit down for a drive. I got the Frontier Brown and it looks great with a pair of jeans. The Sherpa lining is nice and doesn't add bulk or "poofiness". I really like the lined front pockets too, for when you don't have your gloves on. And the drop tail rear gives great coverage for higher activity. I can't say enough about this coat other than perhaps I should pick up a hood to cover all the bases. Pick one up, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid coat, September 14, 2012
This coat is perfect - cut (roomy, not baggy), fabric (tough, abrasion resistant), zipper (smooth and heavy duty) and the lining (fuzzy fleece of the 90's).
Long story short, I'm a size 50 suit jacket, 38" waist, 35" sleeves and the XL is spot on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coat!, October 23, 2011
Excellent coat, I've had an opportunity to wear it many times already. Another quality Carhartt product I will enjoy for years to come. Small front pocket great for the cell phone. Great fit and nice warm sherpa lining is fantastic. This coat is nice looking enough to wear to work every day during the upcoming winter, and I work in an office environment. Long tail to keep the lower back warm too. THANKS CArhartt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Work Jacket, February 24, 2014
Bought it large, so could wear layers underneath. It is a cold weather jacket, will grab if thermometer is 40 degrees. Make sure to buy the hood, and just leave it attached. Love the material, very tough, feel like you can wrestle bears. Not bad looking, a working mans jacket, very functional.