Published 21 months ago by S. Kim

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizing is way off
Vendor is great, but Carhartt is really unpredictable with their sizing.

I read some reviews telling me to err on the side of a smaller size if you're between sizes. I usually run between L and XL, so I followed this advice and got a large. I'm pretty broad at the shoulder, but when I tried it on it looked like I was wearing football shoulder pads...
Published 8 months ago by Brendan Coffin

5.0 out of 5 stars 5'11" and 167lbs with a 32 waist. Size Small fits me perfectly., December 24, 2012
S. Kim (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
My other Carhartt, the J140 Duck Active Quilted Lined Jacket is also a size small but it feels like a very large medium or a slightly small large. I wear a size 38 suit and this C61 coat feels like a slim fit 38. It's not too tight where I'm uncomfortable to sit but it's not too loose where I feel like I'm swimming in it. There's still room for a snug sweatshirt underneath on those really cold nights. As I add to my Carhartt collection, I've been more and more perplexed by their sizing. I bought a V02 Vest and the medium fits me well. Small was almost too tight to zip up. The J140 jacket runs extremely large where I wish there was a size smaller than small. This C61 in small is a perfect fit. It runs a bit slimmer than the V02 Vest.

It's not the warmest jacket. It's not toasty warm like the Active jacket. It's a great coat to layer with when working outside. I wish the arms were sherpa lined instead of quilts. It's not as warm as the sherpa body. The nylon quilted arms feel comparable to that of the J140 but it's not as warm. Don't notice a thing when I'm working though. It's a fantastic coat to just grab and go when you're gonna be in and out of cars and buildings. And speaking of going in and out of cars, the double zipper is unbelievably convenient for this. Before getting in, just zip the bottom up a little. The outter chest pocket is a big plus for me. I often keep my phone in there so that I can listen to it. And the lined pockets... that's the best part! The pockets are sherpa lined and definitely a welcome feature. The J140 isn't lined and I was quite disappointed with that. The V02 vest has an insulation that works even better than the sherpa lining in this C61. The freedom of movement in the arms is excellent. I know I'm missing a lot of details but I'm sure that others have already written about them. The dark brown is a very handsome color but I love this coat so much that I may get the black as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizing is way off, December 29, 2013
Vendor is great, but Carhartt is really unpredictable with their sizing.

It seemed to be a good quality jacket, but be even more conservative about your size: if you usually wear a large, get the infant size.

I ended up returning this and buying a different model of Carhartt at my local farm supply store. It's an XL, and it fits me perfectly.

All that said, the vendor was great: the jacket got to me quickly, and they processed the return quickly and smoothly. Just be sure and get one at least two sizes smaller than usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome-sauce!!, October 27, 2012
I love this jacket! Plain and simple, it is the coolest jacket I've ever owned.
I was looking for something comfortable, warm, but not real bulky, and this jacket
fits the bill. I had ordered this and the Carhartt traditional duck jacket, and had
to return the traditional jacket. It was a bit too stiff, a bit too bulky, and wayyy
warmer than what I was looking for.
This thing is perfect. I'm sure it will keep me warm enough in Northeast Pennsylvania,
but not so warm that I'm sweating. It's roomy enough to layer as well, so that is a big plus.

The Sherpa lining is very comfortable, the pockets are all very nice, and the main zipper is
just a bad @$$ zipper! I never thought a zipper could be bad @$$, but it is.

So, all in all, this is a keeper. Will update as the weather gets colder and I will be wearing
this jacket more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coat. Excellent brand., April 5, 2012
PFS (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I recently found myself in need of a new winter coat. I've always been impressed by the Carhartt brand and they have made me happy once again. The Sherpa Lined Sandstone Ridge Coat is a newer design and I think it fits and feels better than the traditional Carhartt winter coats which can tend to be too stiff and bulky. This jacket appears to have a slimmer cut and the Sherpa interior is cozy and soft, which makes it much more comfortable for everyday wear. (Even though I loved it, my last heavy duty Carhartt made me feel a bit like the Michelin Man, so for me the Sherpa lined is definitely an improvement.)

Initially my main concern with purchasing this coat online was whether the fit would be long enough. Carhartt coats can sometime run too short at the waist and I considered buying the Large/Tall in anticipation of this problem, but I finally decided to go with the Large/Regular and it turns out that it fits perfectly on my 6'1", 180lbs frame.

My other concern involved the cold-battling capabilities of the lining itself. The Carhartt website rates the Sherpa lining at a slightly lesser grade than the Arctic Quilt or the Quilted Flannel and I was worried that I might find myself on a jobsite outdoors with inadequate insulation. This proved not to be the case as I've already worked a few days outside in below-freezing temperatures and the Sherpa-lined kept me warm the entire time. In summary, an excellent coat that I expect to keep for many years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful with the size, January 9, 2014
Brian (Seoul, Korea) - See all my reviews
Maybe my proportions are odd but I had a devil of a time finding this coat in the right size. According to the Carhartt fit guide someone my height (6'1) should order the jacket in Tall. So I ordered a Tall XL (I usually wear standard XXL so I thought going down a size would be fine). But that was way too big so I returned it an ordered a Tall large. That was better, but it is still tad too big. The length in the arms is right, the vertical length is good, and it's not too big around the stomach and chest, but it's wide in the shoulders and arms and rather thick all around (unlike the picture of the model above, where the jacket clings pretty closely to the body). It's fine when I'm wearing a hoodie underneath but a bit more loose and baggy than I prefer over a shirt. I'd try going down another size but they don't make Tall Mediums. Just for the record, I'm 6'1 and weigh about 230. I'm worried that if I lose a bit of weight the jacket will be just too big for me.

Other than that, the quality of the coat is excellent. I like the nice, thick denim that keeps the wind off of me. The Sherpa lining is warm and the zipper is sturdy. And it's stylish. I just wish I could find a better fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket!, December 30, 2013
Been using this for over a year, and absolutely love it!

Things I love:
Strong zipper
Durable material
Warm lined pockets
Waist drawstring cinch
Fitted wrist cuffs
Nice amount of pockets
Well insulated

Actually, I can't think of anything I don't like... This keeps me warm all winter, and is my go-to coat for cold weather, regardless of whether I'm working or just running to get some groceries. Only wear it shows are a couple loose strands at the wrists, but nothing that's causing stitching to come apart. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best jacket ever., March 14, 2013
Love this jacket! Very comfortable, almost soft, which is unusual for a Carhartt. Currently wearing it with a hoodie with the temperatures in the 30's. I highly recommend one of these. And Amazon had the best price on the web or brick and mortar by $20 minimum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carhartt Men's Sherpa Lined Sandstone Ridge Coat, March 11, 2013
Since I already own one Carhartt jacket buying a second one was a no brainer. Fits great and breaks the wind just as I expected. Prime shipping was advertised at 2 days but it took 4. Not happy about that but the jacket meets all my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quintessential Carhartt, January 8, 2013
I'm very pleased with this product. I use Carhartt gear on a nearly daily basis and appreciate their quality. This coat is not a part of my "workwear" lineup but works great for those chilly times away from the job. Fit is great with a nice roomy cut, not fitted or "athletic" but not oversized. You'll like the double zipper when you sit down for a drive. I got the Frontier Brown and it looks great with a pair of jeans. The Sherpa lining is nice and doesn't add bulk or "poofiness". I really like the lined front pockets too, for when you don't have your gloves on. And the drop tail rear gives great coverage for higher activity. I can't say enough about this coat other than perhaps I should pick up a hood to cover all the bases. Pick one up, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars phenomenal!!!, December 27, 2012
Bought the men's ridge coat for myself because it was longer in the back. The men's small fit beautifully and I am 109 lbs and 5'7"....so warm and the color is a rich chocolate brown. My husband only wears Carhartt and swears by the brand...now I know why. The pockets are Sherpa lined and inside the drawstring keeps the heat in. No need to wear a sweatshirt under this coat!! Great coat for outdoor work and won't have to worry about getting it ruined. Verrry happy with my purchase and will buy Carhartt again...for myself!

Rate and Discover Movies