4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Trick
Definately takes a little more "rubbing" to apply without showing compared to traditional sunscreens, but worth the environmental benefits. Did not feel oily/greasy, pleasant/subtle scent, and protected the whole family from sunburn. Of course with any sunscreen, reapplying often was necessary while sunning near the equator.
Published on April 27, 2009 by Christina Mercer

3.0 out of 5 stars smells nice, but not very effective
Published on March 21, 2010 by Caribbean Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Trick, April 27, 2009
This review is from: Caribbean Solutions - SolGuard Natural Biodegradable Sunscreen 25 SPF - 6 oz. (Health and Beauty)

3.0 out of 5 stars smells nice, but not very effective, March 21, 2010
This product smells really nice, but it's a pain to actually use. It doesn't rub in very well and it leaves you kind of milky looking when you put it on. Also, the directions say you need to reapply every 45 minutes to an hour, regardless of whether you have been in the water or not. My husband and I both got burned the first days of our vacation because we figured it was like other sunscreen and effective for a few hours if not in the water. I know that's our fault for not reading the directions, but to put it on every 45 minutes when you are spending a day at the beach?

I understand the importance of protecting the environment, which is why we bought it... but I hope someone has a better biodegradable product out there because I don't see buying this one again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great biodegradable option, October 3, 2009
I was going snorkelling in reefs in the Carribbean and I wanted to make sure I didn't harm the delicate ecosystems. I had read reviews for many of the biodegradable sunscreens on the market and feared the types that wouldn't rub in fully or wouldn't work. While this one was harder to rub in than regular sunscreen, it still was possible after a little more effort (I think that's pretty much par for the course with a natural product). My pale pale white skin also did not suffer any sunburn so I'm happy with how it worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, August 21, 2010
taylz67 (Cape Coral, FL) - See all my reviews
This sunscreen is accepted at all the locations I have been to that require "reef safe" sunscreen. It is a bit thick, but I don't mind as long as I am not harming the ecosystems that I visit. I was concerned that it was only SPF 25, but I have not gotten burned while snorkeling for hours using this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars great sunscreen, January 3, 2014
We used this on a recent trip to Cancun. It was reef safe and great to use in the ocean. It applied well and rubbed in completely (if you put on too much at a time or don't rub enough, titanium oxide based products leave a white haze) and worked well. I burn very easily and so I applied it more often than my husband. Neither of us burned even after days in the sun. I loved how soft the product also made my skin from the botanical oils.

I have had skin cancer and my doctor recommends the titanium oxide based products for me. This is my favorite brand that I have tried over the years, for the protection and the way it made my skin feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Sunscreen!, September 10, 2010
mimi (Alb., New Mexico) - See all my reviews
After reading about health issues with certain suncreens, and after much research, this product was one that showed it was superior. Not only do I and my husband use it, (we have a pool) we tried it on our granchildren here, and I also took it to the east coast beach to try on other grandchildren. We all voted. Hands down, the best suncreen we have ever used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, October 6, 2010
I was initally doubtful after reading other reviews but had to have a biodegradeable sunblock. This product was easy to apply and worked fine. No one was burned and we had no trouble rubbing it in. I do recommend shaking the bottle well before applying. Overall very happy with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Biodegradable and Great Protection!, June 23, 2011
Charleston 2CV6 (St Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this sunscreen to go snorkeling on the reef in Mexico and I must say, everyone there was very much concerened about what type of sunscreen people use! So I was ready with my biodegradable Caribbean Solution, and you know what? It works well, it does take a little extra effort to rub in, but apply in small amounts and you won't have any trouble, you do look a little extra pale after applying, but the protection is great! Just remember to re-apply, and re-apply whenever possible! I barely burned, my fault for NOT reapplying, after snokeling for a whole day! The sunscreen, if used correctly works well, smells pleasant and is better for the ocean! I highly recommend and will certainly use/buy again! Great product! And please remember that 4,000 to 6,000 tons of sunblock residue end up in reef-adjacent waters annually, killing coral! So spend the extra few bucks, look a teeny bit pale after applying and save the reefs for me to enjoy next year! Yeah - I know - soap box!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Choice!, November 20, 2010
Bob "domezoo" (Branson, MO USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this because I was going on a vacation where my family was planning to swim with dolphins. We were informed ahead of time that only "biodegradable" sunscreen was allowed. There was not one product available to me locally that was biodegradable, so I purchased this one online. It worked great! It is a bit thick and white, but that soaks into the skin fairly quickly. It smells wonderful, and we all avoided sunburn. I highly recommend this product as it is Eco-safe and it works!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mineral-Based, Cruelty-Free, Reef-Safe, and People-Friendly Sunscreen!, May 15, 2014
I'm very about the kind of chemicals I am putting in/on my body and sunscreen is a tough one. Studies are showing that most of the chemicals in sunscreen are just as, if not more, dangerous as UVA/B rays themselves. With a history a skin cancer on both sides of the family, having grown up in a warm and sunny, climate, and the amount of sun damage done to my skin already, I need good, safe sunscreen options. I also focus on cruelty-free, vegetarian (if not vegan), eco-conscious products. Caribbean Solutions Biodegradable Sunscreen fits the bill on all fronts.

First off, EWG (Environmental Working Group, a great site for info and safety ratings on specific products and the chemicals they contain) gives this product a safe score and that's tough to find with sunscreen. This is primarily due to the fact that this is a mineral-based sunscreen, not a chemical one. There is a huge difference.

I've read a lot of negative reviews about this and other mineral-based sunscreens because people don't read directions or pay attention to the fact that this type of sunscreen must be applied differently from the chemical-based sunscreens most of us have used all our lives. I strongly suggest doing some research on the differences between the two, reading directions, and learning about application before buying this or any similar product and giving them a crappy review.

This is the first mineral-based sunscreen I have tried in years. I was very surprised at its thin consistency and the ease with which I was able to apply it. FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS, I found swiping on small amounts at a time the best way to go (don't try to rub this product in like a chemical-based sunscreen, that is not how it works). This way I didn't apply too much to any one spot and didn't turn white. A little goes a long way. Caribbean Solutions has a light, pleasant, somewhat sweet scent. I am hypersensitive to odors, so when I say the smell isn't strong, it really isn't.

One reviewer commented than when this sunscreen gets warm it becomes more liquidy and easier to apply. I agree. In fact, I would advise caution when pouring after it has been sitting in the sun for a while. It comes out much faster and it's easy to end up with more in your hand than you can use.

Application is easier when your skin is damp (not wet), but I find shaking the bottle really well and holding it in my hands for a few minutes also helps. I run hot though. Regardless, the texture of Caribbean Solutions is thicker than an average chemical-based sunscreen but not as thick as I was expecting. I found it easy to apply and reapply. Reapplication is important if you are in the sun for hours.

Without getting overly technical, mineral-based sunscreens work by physically blocking and reflecting the UVA/B rays away from your skin. Over time, as you brush up against people, a towel, a lounge chair, it will essentially rub off. You need to be sure to reapply as frequently as directed by the product. Caribbean Solutions advises reapplying every 45 minutes and after getting out of the water, as it technically is not waterproof.

Over the weekend, I spent at least 4-5 straight hours in the sun, most of it in the pool playing with my little cousins. This made reapplying trickier, but I made sure to reapply to my face, chest, and shoulders (the parts of my body not in the water). Though my body doesn't burn easily, my nose and lips do, and they almost always burn during my first serious exposure like this of the summer no matter how much chemical-based sunscreen I use. By the this time of the year I am typically very tan, having already spent a good amount of time in the sun. That isn't the case this year so I fully expected a burned nose, at the very least, even with my visor.

I always wear hats when intentionally in the sun, even when in the water. However, I can never find anything with a brim that fully covers my nose. I can apply 50 SPF sunscreen every 10 minutes to my nose and lips and they still get pink. They don't burn to the point of peeling, but they do become sensitive and require additional moisturizing. This is the first time in I don't know how many years that my nose and lips didn't burn, and the only explanation is Caribbean Solutions.

I am extremely happy with this sunscreen and highly recommend it. Aside from not containing carcinogens and being cruelty-free, it is also reef-safe, which is very important if you spend a lot of time in the ocean. But, people, PLEASE READ THE DIRECTIONS and understand how this and similar products work so you can use them properly and reap the benefits. That way you can keep your skin safe and give helpful feedback to shoppers.

I also ordered Caribbean Solutions' Faces Only but it just arrived so I haven't been able to test it yet. Once I've used, I'll be sure to review it as well.