5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect points every time!
Published 20 months ago by akarobert

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for classroom use
I bought 2 of these sharpeners after reading on Pinterest how it's the greatest pencil sharpener for a classroom. I got it for my 1st grade classroom thinking this is the answer to what I've been looking for. Boy was I wrong!!! IT'S HORRIBLE!!! The clamp doesn't stay down and slips and slides all over the place. The shavings container constantly moves getting pencils...
Published 23 months ago by unhappyteacher

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect points every time!, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Carl A-5 Pencil Sharpener, Green. Quiet for Office and Home Desks, School Classroom. Angel-5 (Electronics)
I'm a 3rd grade teacher and have tried MANY brands and types of sharpeners. This sharpener (and its big brother, the Carl CC 2000) produces the best sharpened pencil points (if you like them long and sharp with plenty of exposed lead) of all of them by far! Also, it won't oversharp pencils due to its unique design!!! I use this mainly for resharpening pencils so the smallish shaving receptacle doesn't have to be emptied as often. It's quick and easy to use.

I'm really "over the moon" about it, and so are the teachers I show it to. I even bought three (quantity discount from another website) and gave as Christmas gifts to the school office and friends, because I'm so impresssed.

I made the following modifications to optimize the performance for me:
1. Threw away the supplied clamp.
2. Removed the four, black, rubber slip-resistant pads on the bottom. They leave marks on surfaces.
3. Applied heavy duty velcro to the bottom of the sharpener and mounted it to a small cutting board. It's now easier to hold in place when sharpening and is portable. The three I gave as gifts were mounted to 6 inch square tiles--also portable. I might even expoxy it to the cutting board in the future for a permanent mounting.

Also, when you get the sharpener--and you will get one (or more), make sure the crank handle mechanism is securely tightend to the body of the sharpener. Just firmly twist the black plastic ring at the base of the crank. It's very simple. You'll also be able to remove it in the future the same way if you want to put in a replacement cuttter or remove stuck lead.

Finally, follow these simple steps (my 4yo granddaughter can) for using this sharpener, because it's unlike any sharpener you've ever used--which is why it works so well:
1. Pull the chrome faceplate away from the body until it clicks/locks in place.
2. Squeeze the black levers (on top) together and insert the pencil through both holes.
3. Place your left hand on top of the body of the sharpener while you crank with right hand.
4. When the cranking starts to feel like there's no resistance, stop cranking.
5. Squeeze the black levers together again and remove the pencil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it possible to be in love with a sharpener?, January 21, 2013
Having bought and discarded far too many (rubbish) sharpeners I was determined to get one that worked well. This is marvellous, stupendous, the king of all our sharpeners over the years. Does this sound like hyperbole - well it's not!

We had a set of Derwent coloursoft pencils which I thought were not particularly good quality because the leads broke and the pencils split whenever we sharpened them. Having just sharpened all 72 of them to perfection in the Carl, I now know that it was the quality of the sharpener. Then we found our other set of 24 pencils and sharpened them to fine points as well. It sharpens evenly all round too without having to rotate the pencil.

My 5 year old over-sharpened one and the lead broke off. It was so incredibly easy to take the handle off the back, pull out the sharpening mechanism, remove the broken lead with a few taps and pop it back in. Also, the well that holds the sharpenings contained the excess from all 72 Derwents before it needed emptying.

I can't understand the negative reviews. I think perhaps they hadn't worked out that you need to push the black levers together at the top to insert the pencil AND pull it out along the length of the pencil to lock it into place. If you just insert the pencil without pulling out the mechanism, the sharpener won't work.

We have now located every pencil in the house and given them a go just for the pleasure of using the sharpener. I know, I sound like an infomercial (:-) but when you have bought and tossed out as many sharpeners as I have over the years, you will understand how delighted I was to find this and realise it worked beautifully.

I have also attached it to the table with the clamp and that seems to work well too. Hooray! So pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Teacher's Best Friend, January 2, 2013
I recently purchased this pencil sharpener for my classroom after being fed up with the over-heating, motor-dying, loud, and grinding automatic pencil sharpeners.

This sharpener takes some getting used to (it only sharpens when cranking the handle one way), but once you do, it is a dream! The pencils are perfectly sharpened in a way that causes less breakage overall. It sharpens in a manner that, after the pencil is sharp, you cannot keep going, so pencils don't get ground to stubs.

The kiddos in my classroom (ages 7-9) learned how to sharpen pencils rather easily, once I figured it myself out and could teach them. The product is quiet enough that it is not distracting to have students sharpen pencils throughout the day if they have to. They absolutely LOVE it when their classroom job is to sharpen the pencils.

The clamp on the bottom does not work well holding the sharpener on a surface, but since you don't have to hold the pencil in, your free hand can be used to hold the sharpener in place. It really is not an issue.

This sharpener also has a wonderful feature, in that, if graphite gets stuck in the sharpening mechanism, you can simply turn and pull out the sharpener within. It cleans out very easily.

OVERALL:

Take the time to figure out how to use this, and you will not be disappointed. This is a quality product, with a good design. I am absolutely smitten with the sharpener! I spent a week looking for pencils just to sharpen because this works so well.

5.0 out of 5 stars pencil sharpener is amazing, the mounting system is useless, August 5, 2013
this is my first hand crank pencil sharpener. i read good reviews for this unit and needed something that could handle different sized pencils and especially hard to sharpen colored pencils and pastel pencil. well it works perfectly for that. so i'm very happy. But a really big problem with unit is the mounting system. the mounting system just falls out of the hole in the front or back of the unit when tightened down onto a table top. so why include a mounting system if it doesn't work at all. you can hold the unit and let the spring feed pull the pencil in while you use two hands to hold down and turn the handle. i would like to mount this unit permanently so i just used a big C clamp. if the mounting system would have worked i would have given 5 stars as the points are perfect on my pencils.
*Update:
i've since come to feel that this is a 5 star item. if the mounting system wasn't included i would have figured out how to use it on it's own. it doesn't need a mounting system. you just let the spring feed the pencil while holding it down with one hand and cranking with the other. i get the sharpest points i've ever seen. Only one warning.... if it starts to spin and not sharpen that means a tip broke off and got stuck. I have to get a fine pointed piece of metal to poke out the lodged tip. once removed it sharpens perfectly again.

4.0 out of 5 stars um, crazy., October 16, 2012
This thing sharpens pencils to a deadly, dangerous point. I don't let my 2nd grades students even use it. Also, it's weirdly complicated to use. It's fun for your own personal use, sort of retro looking and good for colored pencils, too. Just don't let kids use it...somebody's gonna get an eye put out!!!
Update: Since the electric sharpener pooped out two months after I bought it (at the same time as the Carl), I've relented to allowing my 2nd graders to use it. Okay, they are sharpening responsibly! All of them can use it (even thought it's weird to use) and everyone still has their eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best pencil sharpener ever!, February 2, 2013
Jo E. St Clair "Jo" (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
I have taught Middle School and 4th grade. I have gone through numerous hand held, old school and electric pencil sharpeners and they have all broken down in a matter of weeks.
Carl has been dropped, smaked and used by many students and keeps on going. I love that the pencils sharpen SHARP and don't break after a minute of use no matter the brand name of the pencil. (Although Ticondaroga is the best).
One of the top little black knobs has fallen off but was not lost....so, so far so good.
I might get another one just to have a spare. The price is right....so why not!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Carl Angel5, December 1, 2012
Love this pencil sharpener! It sharpens even the cheap pencils that are made of recycled wood, or those with plastic coatings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Precision, October 22, 2012
I bought this after seeing the David Rees video on professional pencil sharpening along with his book. The sharpener is A-May-Zing! I collect pencils and wanted something that didnt shave off too much pencil. After sharpening with the Carl A-5, the pencil was the same lenght as preshaven! Meaning, it only shaves off the wood down to the graphite and makes a sharp point. Thats IMPRESSIVE! The green color is great too! Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Sharp, January 12, 2013
This is both beautiful and works very well. As pencil sharpeners go the A-5 is top notch. It does a fantastic job sharpening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pencil Sharpener Ever!, January 7, 2013
I bought this after trying several electric and mechanical sharpeners. The other sharpeners would not sharpen the pencil to a nice point. One half of the lead part would still have the wood on it. Or the point would break off. This one is great. You don't have to mount it. Its spring loaded so you don't have to "hold" the pencil in-it holds it all by itself-you just have to turn the handle.

Rate and Discover Movies